• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces new Shin Megami Tensei for Switch (Unreal 4)

I would imagine the 3DS project is either the same general game on the switch or a new shin megami spinoff.

But here's hoping they port digital devil saga.

random25

Based from the garbage translations, it seems that the announced Switch title will share more info anytime soon, and look for more info on the upcoming 3DS title as well on the teaser site.

We should get better translations for this lol.

I would imagine the 3DS project is either the same general game on the switch or a new shin megami spinoff.

I'm hoping for an enhanced port of I, II and if on 3DS, although it could be another new game. It definitely won't be Digital Devil Saga, because that's not an SMT game.

Kimawolf

Yep, an Unreal Engine 4 SMT, probably will be one of the most expensive projects for Atlus, will be a Switch exclusive. That will be a financially smart decision.
why does any exclusive make financial sense? if they agree itll be for several factors; past performance of SMT4 on 3ds, co marketing/publishing and most likely Switch will be the top of the roost in Japan.

Maxinas

Yep, an Unreal Engine 4 SMT, probably will be one of the most expensive projects for Atlus, will be a Switch exclusive. That will be a financially smart decision.

With that logic why should any game be exclusive, if they could make ports for every platform to maximize sales?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

DDS isnt SMT, nor is the DDS duology even related to Nintendo?

Now sure where the hope for a DDS port comes from.

Persona 5 isn't on PC right?

Although i get your point, banking on a 0 userbase is a lot different from banking on a tens of millions userbase.

PS3 was always the target in Japan which had a sales advantage at the time of its announcement, and PS4 has since superseded it.

I mean, Atlus doesn't make a lot of expensive games in general, so it will probably be up there, although coming in below Persona 5 with that massive development cycle it had.

But being one of the more expensive Atlus games doesn't really say all that much. They don't tend to make expensive games, and using a licensed engine will cut down on the cost of development, too.

Inuhanyou

Isn't DDS connected to Nocturne?

No? The only connection is they use the same assets at times. Their series have literally nothing to do with each other.

That's like saying Raidou and Nocturne are connected. Makes no sense

Chase17

DDD ended up with the SMT branding (at least in the west) right?

Not arguing that it has anything to do with this by the way. Just curious how it ended up that way. Guess it was to help sales/branding of the game maybe?

Edit: Random wish, but I would love for atlus games to have come the ps2 classics on ps4. Although if it hasn't happened at this point maybe they won't ever haha.

Not arguing that it has anything to do with this by the way. Just curious how it ended up that way. Guess it was to help sales/branding of the game maybe?

Edit: Random wish, but I would love for atlus games to have come the ps2 classics on ps4. Although if it hasn't happened at this point maybe they won't ever haha.

Atlus branded all of the MegaTen titles with the SMT label in the west, although they've since dropped the branding from Persona starting from Persona 4 Arena. It was just a way for them to help brand the series more effectively (and to make it obvious to consumers that various titles were MegaTen titles rather than just completely unrelated RPGs).

Inuhanyou

It takes months for PS2 titles to get approved and sanctioned for release for Sony's PS2 on PS4 initiative. I don't know why they are so ass backward in regards to emulation and pricing all of a sudden, but it pisses me off

Taruranto

No? The only connection is they use the same assets at times. Their series have literally nothing to do with each other.

That's like saying Raidou and Nocturne are connected. Makes no sense

A lot of SMT are connected to each other via Amala universe or split timelines.

Like Raidou 1 is directly connected to SMT1.

I think this has become one of my most anticipated Switch games. I've been thinking about how being tethered to my PS4 is going to feel really limited for Persona 5. P4 was the perfect Vita game when casually lounging around and putting the system in and out of sleep mode. So glad Atlus is continuing to support handhelds and I hope we see a big jump in quality over the 3DS entries. I imagine the budget is going to be significantly higher.

Kirye

I think this has become one of my most anticipated Switch games. I've been thinking about how being tethered to my PS4 is going to feel really limited for Persona 5. P4 was the perfect Vita game when casually lounging around and putting the system in and out of sleep mode. So glad Atlus is continuing to support handhelds and I hope we see a big jump in quality over the 3DS entries.

Man, you got me excited for some news about this game.

cand

I'm playing through SMT 4: apocalypse right now and lovin' it. I'm so hyped for 5! Very curious to see what they will do with the franchise.

Eolz

Sorry, just wanted to talk about the game a little bit seeming as discussion ended only a few days after the announcement.

Sadly because we have no more details.
We're all waiting on that Anniversary event sadly (likely some months after the western release of P5)

Top Bottom