• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus announces new Shin Megami Tensei for Switch (Unreal 4)

Eolz

You have my interest, but years ago? It looks far off but maybe when on stage they said started development they mean active development just started

Could be "preprod started years ago". That rumor could make sense, but well, anyone can say it for now. Will be interesting to look back on in several months/years...

I would imagine it would have to be coming to the PS4 as well. It would be suicide otherwise.

Can people stop saying this? I understand why people would like it on PS4, and how some reasons are actually good, but saying "it's suicide otherwise" is just pure nonsense and disregarding all the sales history of this franchise.

Seik

Banned
:lol

I just stared at OP's pic and noticed Mara on the right! :p

This game is probably a day 1 lock, wonder how far it is in development and when it'll come out though.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It would not be 'suicide' if they had SMT as a switch exclusive. But i don't expect it, generally because Switch development is going to be much more expensive than 3DS development.

And PS4 and Switch's userbases combined in Japan are a much safer bet in regards to making that money back as opposed to exclusives.

In the future, i feel like that will be the case for most smaller developers.

Dee Dee

Well it would be nice if they aren't ambiguous to the timed exclusivity. I'd be fine with that as long they say from the beginning that it will come to PS4 too.

This game is probably ways off. They didn't have much to show but some nice looking 3D demon models. At worst, they might not have an idea where this game is going, and which platform would suit it yet. It could be that they are on board with Switch purely since that's where SMTIV was, and they were thinking of the next mainline as another handheld entry.

It's pretty much a "SMT x FE" or "Coming Winter 2014" situation. They announced Persona 5 for PS3 only originally, for crying out loud. So I wouldn't be too angry about them not announcing all platforms right away.

duckroll

Same way SMTIV was suicide? Atlus had easily started it when 3ds was either not released or just launched and selling poorly. Gaf reactions always are silly

Well, I dunno about suicide, but would you spend substantially more on a new project hoping to sell just the same amount?

Eolz

Well, I dunno about suicide, but would you spend substantially more on a new project hoping to sell just the same amount?

The switch to 3D once again, and maybe focusing on UX or other features could lead them to believe they'd sell more. Just saying, if going multiplatform was the only way to get a bigger audience or get a bigger budget, the industry would look a bit different for some genres.

cj_iwakura

I think it's pretty clear Doi is the new Kaneko for core SMT based on Neo-Odin's prominence.

That said, hopefully he'll be involved in another project. I can't imagine Raidou without Kaz, and you could do a lot more in his universe. (And unlike SMT, Raidou is solely on PS... unless you count his cameo in Soul Hackers 3DS.)

Blobbers

I'm wondering where the bait and switch comments are coming from. It's a mainline SMT. There's gonna be demons, it's gonna be set in Tokyo, the atmosphere will be dark and opressive, Doi is probably doing the art.

duckroll

I'm wondering where the bait and switch comments are coming from. It's a mainline SMT. There's gonna be demons, it's gonna be set in Tokyo, the atmosphere will be dark and opressive, Doi is probably doing the art.

Demon War RTS set in Tokyo, dark and oppressive. Doi is doing the art.

It could be a Strange Journey type deal instead of SMT5 and therefore not in Tokyo!

cj_iwakura

I mean, of course it is, but you can't really say it would have changed in the same way if JRPGs went multiplatform years ago instead of staying mostly exclusives.

It seems to be set in Tokyo, but so far, I really think it's not SMTV.
I don't think it is either. They would have made the V prominent. I bet it's a new spinoff(which I'm totally cool with)

Eolz

I don't think it is either. They would have made the V prominent. I bet it's a new spinoff(which I'm totally cool with)

It could be a good way to see what is the audience on several HD platforms before commiting to something for V.
However, even if there's a 3DS project to be announced, it's weird that the logo anniversary is teasing V, just to not be announced.

duckroll

I mean, of course it is, but you can't really say it would have changed in the same way if JRPGs went multiplatform years ago instead of staying mostly exclusives.

FF has gone multiplatform. DQ has gone multiplatform. Persona 5 went multiplatform across generations. The Kiseki series went multiplatform (returning to a single platform now, let's see how CS3 does). Tales went multiplatform, then returned to a single platform, and then went multiplatform again across generations.

When you have the producer of Dragon Quest saying that in his opinion, it is impossible to release a game of a certain level on a single platform anymore, I think that says something. It's absolutely not true that "most" JRPGs are exclusive to a single platform. Many are on as many platforms as they feel their audience are on - Vita/PS3, PS3/PS4, Vita/PS4, Vita/PS3/PS4, PS3/360, PS4/XB1, PS3/360/PC, PS4/XB1/PC, etc.

cj_iwakura

It could be a good way to see what is the audience on several HD platforms before commiting to something for V.
However, even if there's a 3DS project to be announced, it's weird that the logo anniversary is teasing V, just to not be announced.

I hope they're not crazy enough to do V on 3DS and have the spinoff be on consoles.

Ideal phase: console is SMT V, 3DS is a new IP or a remake of 1/2.
Likely: console is a new spinoff(or not an RPG in crazy town), 3DS is a sequel to Devil Survivor.

NSESN

I don't think it's a Spin-off, but more like a semi-mainline game like Strange Journey or Apocalypse.
Apocalypse spoilers
with all protagonists playable in the last DLC, i would expect another thing that brings all mainline games together

Oregano

I hope they're not crazy enough to do V on 3DS and have the spinoff be on consoles.

Ideal phase: console is SMT V, 3DS is a new IP or a remake of 1/2.
Likely: console is a new spinoff(or not an RPG in crazy town), 3DS is a sequel to Devil Survivor.

Devil Survivor isn't SMT IIRC. It's separate like Persona or TMS.

SMTV is obviously for the 3DS, the one system in recent memory with a proven track record for selling SMT titles!

Not sure if we can stand by that because I can't really remember other smt games being released on other platforms in recent years. Think smt would do better now on console then it did previously use to. I have a 3ds so smtv being released on that isn't a issue but is a loss of potentially decent sales.

gngf123

It makes no sense to call the Unreal Engine game the "next in the series" and then have the 3DS game be SMT5.

The 3DS game is either going to be something not quite mainline, like Strange Journey, or a remake/port of an older mainline game.

I would love SMT 1/2 on the 3DS honestly.

Eolz

edit: would definitely love SMT 1+2 remakes on 3DS!

FF has gone multiplatform. DQ has gone multiplatform. Persona 5 went multiplatform across generations. The Kiseki series went multiplatform (returning to a single platform now, let's see how CS3 does). Tales went multiplatform, then returned to a single platform, and then went multiplatform again across generations.

When you have the producer of Dragon Quest saying that in his opinion, it is impossible to release a game of a certain level on a single platform anymore, I think that says something. It's absolutely not true that "most" JRPGs are exclusive to a single platform. Many are on as many platforms as they feel their audience are on - Vita/PS3, PS3/PS4, Vita/PS4, Vita/PS3/PS4, PS3/360, PS4/XB1, PS3/360/PC, PS4/XB1/PC, etc.

I don't really think "multiplatform across generations" count to be honest...
Outside of that, some of those series/games had one game on a platform, then went on another platform, or got the port a year later, etc. FF definitely needed to go multiplat to keep its budget and mainstream appeal though, but others either did it reluctantly or not at all. Doing a game for a platform differently than the other platforms then complaining that it didn't sell (like Gust/NIS and their Nintendo experiments for example)
Don't you think the latest Saga should have been multiplat for example? ;)
(the same could be argued for some others like Bravely, Atelier, Tales of doing various experiments per region, Level 5, Vanillaware, KH spinoffs, etc)

I don't really see it not being V considering the way they've been teasing with the pentagram, numbers and whatnot.

That's just the logo for the anniversary. It could be V for sure, and will probably be confirmed at the event, but that's weird they wouldn't announce it as V directly.

duckroll

I don't really think "multiplatform across generations" count to be honest...
Outside of that, some of those series/games had one game on a platform, then went on another platform, or got the port a year later, etc. FF definitely needed to go multiplat to keep its budget and mainstream appeal though, but others either did it reluctantly or not at all. Doing a game for a platform differently than the other platforms then complaining that it didn't sell (like Gust/NIS and their Nintendo experiments for example)
Don't you think the latest Saga should have been multiplat for example? ;)
(the same could be argued for some others like Bravely, Atelier, Tales of doing various experiments per region, Level 5, Vanillaware, KH spinoffs, etc)

Why wouldn't it count? The reality is that publishers feel that releasing a title on a single platform is not enough to sell what they want. It doesn't matter if the platforms are across generations or a mix of portable and console. The fact that they feel the need to have multiple SKUs rather than just one says it all. The fact that sales tend to be split enough to justify that choice says even more.

SaGa is absolutely going to be on other platforms in 2017. Count on it. It's a Unity game which hasn't sold 100k in Japan yet, and there's no way S-E is going to localize a Vita exclusive in today's market. So yes. It's just a matter of time. I guess that proves my point? Why do you think even tiny games like I Am Setsuna are on PC/PS4/Vita, and now coming to the Switch?

GeekyDad

The same was said about Tokyo Mirage Session and that did come out.

Which means 2020

Fair enough. and I hope I'm wrong. It's not so much being distrusting of Atlus' word, so much as my cynicism of Nintendo. They typically rally a bandwagon for launch announcements with lists of games that are born as vaporware and die that way.

Top Bottom