• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August Wrasslin' |OT| starring Bryan Danielson & John Cena in a worked reality show

Aiii

So not worth it
No fucking way. They're trying to make Cena an underdog against Daniel Bryan?

Don't think they were, no. Cena was just doing his usual promo showing how tough he is and how he overcomes to be the best. This in response to Bryan saying he was a "wrestler" whereas Cena was an "entertainer" so that made some sense at least.

now i'm curious to see this disfigured Cena elbow.
tumblr_mr3c9vmgiq1rzoiaqo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mr3c7rg1nr1rzoiaqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mr3c4xd8J81rzoiaqo2_1280.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
Right, I should start working on the SummerSlam OT.

So question to you WrassleGAF: What is your favorite SummerSlam match? You may only choose one!

strobogo

Banned
wcw1998.tumblr.com

WCW Monday Nitro 4/20/98

Randy Savage is the new WCW Champion, and Goldberg will face Raven for the WCW US Championship. Also, it is 4/20, brah. I imagine Nash will be the first one to make a weed reference.

Hogan, Bischoff, and Beefcake come to the ring. Not a great way to start the show. Savage is the champion, Sting should get a rematch, shouldn't one of them come out to address the WCW Universe before Hogan? Lol, Savage is the scum floating in the river of hell. Seems a bit extreme. He also claims that Nash and Savage SWERVED and SWERVED everyone. 2 gay jokes already. Hogan wants Savage and the belt tonight.

TO THE BACK. Goldberg gets ready for his first title match.

After the break, new WCW Champion Randy Savage comes to the ring. To a huge pop. Because Randy Savage is awesome. He came here to fight! I wish he'd fight with Finlay. His main objective was never to run the nWo, but he doesn't ever get around to saying what the main objective actually was. Hogan can run him over with a Viper or Apollo 13, he don't give a fuck. He introduces the new leader of the nWo....KEVIN NASH! He comes out in a track suit with coffee. Pretty lax. He talks, but doesn't really say much. 20 minutes in and no matches yet.

TO THE BACK. Raven sits in a shower in the dark saying he won't be win 75 for Goldberg.

Konnan vs Chris Adams

It takes them 25 minutes to get to a match, and it is a Konnan match? Who the fuck wants to see these two trying to do WoS/Lucha hybrid bullshit in slow motion and terribly? The only Konnan match I want to see is with Finlay, so I can see him literally knock the shit out of him.

TO THE BACK
. Goldberg is still getting ready.

ibyvcY5NX1v4ug.gif

Barbarian vs Wayne Bloom

God, give me a boot the face. Over a half hour in with no gifs is terrible. I lol every time I see Beverly Bro 1 out there. He's so out of place and his bird legs are hilarious. Barb wins in a quick match that didn't even have a very good kick.

ibqMHzb1iw4XFR.gif

TO THE BACK. Raven is still hanging out in a dark shower. I swear there is a glory hole in the wall.

Chris Jericho vs Juventud Guerrera WCW Cruiserweight Championship

Jericho now has Prince's sarong and brings in a framed poster of Dean Malenko. It's a shrine. He claims Dean has retired from wrestling, but has an interview at a burger place in Tampa! It starts off fast with Juvi flying all around and hitting a flying rana. Jericho misses his springboard dropkick and goes all the way to the floor. Juvi follows it up with a kind of twisting dive. He hits the powerbomb into DDT reversal back in the ring. He gets caught in the Liontamer seconds later. Juvi holds on for a very long time. Never surrender. The ref calls for the end as Juvi loses consciousness.

iqqGbszYsIFkx.gif

TO THE BACK
. Goldberg is still getting ready.

Goldberg vs Raven WCW US Championship

This got the main event pyro and Buffer entrance. They did more in a week to make this feel like a huge deal than they have for nearly 5 months of the nWo break up. Goldberg has basically been as over as Daniel Bryan for the past 2 months. Not the top guy, but the most over guy on a huge roll with the crowd 100% behind him. Also, lol at Buffer announcing a guy like Raven. Raven tries to tackle Goldberg to start the match. And then he hits a dropkick. We're out to the floor already. Raven uses a chair. Drop toe hold on the chair actually breaks the chair. Raven is controlling this, but Goldberg gets pissed. The Flock get involved and are all demolished. Reese is jackhammered. Raven tries to run away, but the crowd throws him back in. Jackhammer on a stop sign. New champion! IT IS PANDEMONIUM HERE TONIGHT! THIS PLACE HAS LITERALLY COME UNGLUED!

ifFl7gGbxd2Hi.gif

ie4SbJK3MMQMT.gif

ibo57Flem37ISw.gif

ibbdrCvWytYFpm.gif

La Parka vs Ultimo Dragon

Sweet follow up. They trade chops and slaps and kicks and stuff. Parka hits a plancha. Dragon can't get any sustained offense. Not enough dancing here. DANCE FOR ME. Just as the match is picking up, Eddie drags Chavo out and makes him shove Dragon off the ropes. La Parka then hits a twisting body press for the win.

ibnrlT9Iq2xKX.gif

Curt Hennig vs Chris Benoit

Benoit goes after the bad knee right away. Benoit needs a win. He's had draws and losses to Book, and DQ wins over nWo guys. He needs a real win. I doubt it will happen in this match. He's even inviting Rude to the ring. Rude does get involved on the floor with a snake eyes on the railing. Crossface! Rude jumps in and causes a DQ. Of course. Booker comes out to make a save. He should be careful. Benoit is pretty racist, especially against black folk, but also to Mexicans and the Japanese. Should the b in black be capitalized? Benoit seems unhappy that Booker saved him. He chases back down the ramp, I believe calls him the "n word", and they start brawling. He's so racist.

TO THE MEAN GENE.
Oh no, it's Piper time. He makes Hogan/Savage no DQ with no interference. And no time limit.

Saturn vs Hammer

They start out on the aisle. Neither man was around for Raven's loss. Saturn really hates Hammer for some reason. It hasn't really been explained. It's been assumed it was due to Hammer losing, but Kidman, Lodi, and Sick Boy lose all the time and he doesn't beat them up. T-bone. Hammer hits a side walk slam. They go out to the floor. Drop toe hold into the steps. Saturn is trying to break an arm. Double count out. It should have been that a while ago since they've been on the floor for 2 minutes.

Public Enemy vs Buff Bagwell/Scott Steiner

Buff and Scott try to out pose each other on the ramp. Grunge hits a tiltawhirl back breaker. Scott hits a press slam on Rocco, but PE get some offense for a bit. It goes to the floor where Buff holds Grunge's head on the table so Scott can smash it with a chair. Rocco shoves Scott into the ring post, chair first. Hot tag in the ring. PE might win this! Lol. PE go for their move through the table, but Buff moves. And it looks super shitty. Scott wants the Recliner, but Buff wants the Blockbuster. Scott actually lets up and lets Buff hit his move to win.

ihHZq495fXCc1.gif

iZIHaCcilmxHi.gif

Hypnosis vs Booker T WCW TV Championship

Booker dominates for the first few minutes. Hypno then goes after the knees. Spin wheel kick from the top. Chris Benoit hates both of these guys. Because he's racist. A Mexican and a Black? Yikes. I always thought Canada was a very tolerant nation. I was wrong. Book hits his 5 moves of doom for the win.

iCu7BI5nVHeJT.gif

Brian Adams vs Lex Luger

Nope.

Hollywood Hogan vs Randy Savage WCW Championship No DQ No Interference

Beefcake comes out with Hogan, so I don't know about the no interference rule. Nick Patrick is still giving counts to break holds in the corner and ropes, despite the no DQ rule. I've never understood why there haven't been no DQ matches where a guy just tries to choke the other out right at the start of the match. Disciple gets involved, so both stipulations are already not being followed. Hogan dominates, of course, because he's Hulk Hogan and that's what he does. Lol, Hogan even distracts the ref so he can hit a low blow. THERE ARE NO DISQUALIFICATIONS. I don't know if that was made clear. Piper announced it, Buffer announced it. Tony said "He might get disqualified!" before remembering the rules. Hulk misses the leg drop. Savage hits the elbow, but lands on his bad knee and can't make the cover. Beefcake bumps the ref, because even in a no DQ match between two heels, you need a ref bump. Beefcake and Hogan then tear Macho's leg apart on the ring post. Why was Beefcake even allowed to come out with Hogan if there is no interference? He's not a manager. Stunner with the belt around his shoulder. Nash runs to the ring. Bischoff sneaks behind him and holds his leg. This leads to Hogan accidentally hitting Beefcake with the belt. Nash gets rid of Bischoff and powerbombs Hogan. He puts Savage on Hogan, but the ref is down. Bret Hart runs in, hits Nash with the belt, and puts Hogan on top of Savage. New champion! Lol wat. Piper comes out and argues with Bret. Where the fuck was he when Beefcake, Bischoff, and Nash came out? Bret decks Piper.

iH7RoJIkyUK28.gif

iFbXJLQPG3q9D.gif

iZvX1EwGH65jc.gif

What a terrible finish. And match. And booking in general. A no DQ, no interference match that features a ref bump and excessive interference, Hogan getting the belt back, Savage losing it after one night, and a Bret Hart SWERVE. I'm watching WCW, that's for sure. This nWo thing doesn't make sense to me. All the problems actually started with Savage and Nash. Most of the feud was Nash against Savage, then it turned to Savage vs Hogan, then Hogan vs Nash, then Nash/Savage vs Hogan, but there hasn't been an explanation as to why Nash and Savage are back to being buddy buddy. On top of all of that, Bret's been feuding with the nWo since day one, with his expressed purpose being to end the nWo and prevent other people from getting screwed like he did. So, naturally, he comes out and fucks someone over so Hulk Hogan can get the title back.

Hogan beating Savage for the title the night after winning it will happen again in 1999.

Frankman/Nocturnowl was the stuff of legends

Frankman used illegal underhanded tactics with excessive use of the barricade, not only is it unsportsmanlike but it's a very real danger to the great fans watching GWF, he wouldn't stop his spammage until he'd finally busted down the barrier in order to harm the members of the GWF universe.

And clearly my reversal stat is non existent, but I guess repeated ILLEGAL CLOSED FISTS to the cranium didn't help.

G1 results;

Satoshi Kojima defeated Tomohiro Ishii with a lariat
Hiroyoshi Tenzan defeated Toru Yano with a moonsault
Katsuyori Shibata defeated Lance Archer with the PK
Tetsuya Naito defeated Shelton Benjamin with the Stardust Press
Minoru Suzuki defeated Karl Anderson with the Gotch-style piledriver
Yuji Nagata defeated Kota Ibushi with a backdrop driver
Shinsuke Nakamura defeated Yujiro Takahashi with the Boma-Ye
Kazuchika Okada defeated Davey Boy Smith Jr. with the Rainmaker
Hirooki Goto defeated Prince Devitt with the Shouten Kai
Hiroshi Tanahashi defeated Togi Makabe with the High Fly Flow.

Kojima vs Ishii was an excellent opener, but the crowd in Ishikawa fucking SUCKED. Awful throughout, sounded like a couple of hundred people there, not somewhere near a thousand. Korakuen would have gone nuts for that match, and rightly so. Suzuki vs Anderson was cool and had a good finishing stretch but, again, the crowd gave next to no shits. Nagata vs Ibushi was a good back and forth match, while Nakamura vs Yujiro was fun. Okada vs Davey Boy was probably my favourite match of the evening, very well worked. Davey Boy worked the arm and Okada sold it perfectly throughout. Goto vs Devitt was OK, but all the Devitt matches are blurring into one. Tanahashi vs Makabe was good and the crowd were actually into it, entirely because of Tanahashi. All they gave a shit about was Tanahashi. He hit a Styles Clash at one point, but it got zero reaction, lol.

Definitely the weakest day of the G1 yet, but hopefully tomorrow's show in Sendai won't suffer from such a terrible crowd. Some big matches; Okada vs Shibata, for one. Nakamura vs Nagata, for another.

Naito is becoming my favorite wrestler ever so slowly. Dude is pretty rad.

also the thing i like about the G1 is that no one is safe. Okada the Champ is las t place in his block

jmdajr

I'm all for Cena "burying" the Indies. Heck it helps the rivalry.

Unless we just want a "I RESPECT YOU!" , "NO, I RESPECT YOU MORE" feud.

I want to see your best Benoit!

//

also.

Steph sucks at tearing up, but I'm sure she's really great at making others cry.

YO DAMN

SHIBATA VS ISHII DAY 4

They killed each other and I loved it. So happy I saved the 2nd half of this show for after Day 5 which wasn't as great.

I'm all for Cena "burying" the Indies. Heck it helps the rivalry.

Unless we just want a "I RESPECT YOU!" , "NO, I RESPECT YOU MORE" feud.

I want to see your best Benoit!

//

also.

Steph sucks at tearing up, but I'm sure she's really great at making others cry.

I miss bratty screechy Steph. How many octaves has she gone down in these past few years? I remember it like it was yesterday...

Steph: TRIPLE H, I'M GOING TO MAKE YOUR LIFE...

Me: A living hell!

Steph: A LIVING (wine glasses shatter) HELLLLLL!

Me: HA!

YO DAMN

SHIBATA VS ISHII DAY 4

They killed each other and I loved it. So happy I saved the 2nd half of this show for after Day 5 which wasn't as great.

Fantastic work by both guys and the crowd really helped sell it - their reactions were freaking perfect throughout, plus I love it when the commentators go ballistic. The finishing stretch was just about the best in any match I've seen this year, sheer fucking madness and I really bought both guys frantic need to put the other man away, they were so beat up, every move seemed like it could end it. Amazing match, everyone should watch it;

Tomohiro Ishii vs Katsuyori Shibata - (NJPW 08/04/13)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck it. Paid $150. Want to support NJPW. After watching Ishii vs Shibata yesterday that cemented my feelings and I dropped the 150. Even though I will be LUCKY to watch even half of what's left, I have no bad feelings about it period. Because...

YO DAMN

SHIBATA VS ISHII DAY 4

Yes. Shibata vs Ishii was unbelievable.

HEY WRASSLEGAF.

It's a 12 minute match. Here it is. Watch it yourself and let us know what you think - probably the match of the year for many of us following NJPW - what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyGwpDkxS-4#t=64m16s

Watch the match! It can make a believer out of you!

My favorite part is Ishii roaring as Shibata beats him down in the corner into a puddle to set up the dropkick. I just LOVE that moment.

EDIT: lel @ Bootaaay beating me to the punch. Amazing match, amazing!~

OMG

NAKUMURA vs IBUSHI

oh man. That was EVEN BETTER. Amazing pacing. The way the match broke down from the most eccentric wrestler vs. the flashiest offense into just straight mean, hard hitting frustration was so good.

Day 4 of the G1 is a great, great show. Fantastic.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
OMG

NAKUMURA vs IBUSHI

oh man. That was EVEN BETTER. Amazing pacing. The way the match broke down from the most eccentric wrestler vs. the flashiest offense into just straight mean, hard hitting frustration was so good.

Day 4 of the G1 is a great, great show. Fantastic.

Really goddamn good match. I loooooved all the misses Nakamura had, they were all so close to crushing Ibushi. Kept the tension so high. So damn good.

Really goddamn good match. I loooooved all the misses Nakamura had, they were all so close to crushing Ibushi. Kept the tension so high. So damn good.

Everything after
the reversed Phoenix Splash
was top notch. The pop for the
first Boma Ye right after that was incredible, then Shinsuke turning into a prick, then Ibushi NOT HAVING THAT, then Ibushi's flurry, KICKOUT WTF, now Ibushi's a prick, SHINSUKE SUPER COMBO, KICKOUT AT 1 WTFFFFFFF, BOMA YE HEADSHOT STAY DOWN, KID, STAY DOWN

SO HYPE

Amazing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The matches I've seen so far from the G1 has made me feel a lot of things.

1: It reminded me why I love wrestling. We can have bad storylines, bullshit filler everywhere, and all sorts of crap that's been given to us the past couple years in particular, but having two (or more!) people guide me through a match like conductors of an orchestra, making me feel things I didn't expect to or thought I was "above" - it's like I'm a mark again, and wrestling feels like there's SO much new ground to break.

2: Why any talent wouldn't want to go to Japan to learn and wrestle with these people? Obviously you can't just roll up as a gaijin and be hated or loved or get instant satisfaction - but seeing some written-off stars like Archer and Davey Boy Jr as well as (scum like) Devitt and Karl Anderson actually GROW as performers - I would never want to leave if I was on their level.

3: Yuji Nagata is unbelivably over and it's so infectious. I always enjoyed his work but right now? I'm pulling for him to win. Emotional.

EDIT: Wonderbread's right about that match - and the "kickout at 1" spots are not being overused, they've been absolutely PERFECT. I love a good "kickout at 1" but not when it's overused. When Ishii did it with Shibata the other day I popped!

Aiii

So not worth it
Day 1 was really fun, I think I'll skip 2 and 3 and go straight to 4 as I just don't have the time to watch it all.

So, Kaitlyn got a shirt today:
W05152.jpg

W05646.jpg

Why the fuck isn't the Unicorn design on the men's shirt? I would totally buy a unicorn shirt with a proto military design

The best Brock Lesnar's promo in the history of our sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lba292j_0Fw

So good. Extra credit to everyone involved for not corpsing at "Paul say something stupid".

Also - the Punk/Lesnar match probably isn't going to be as good as these consistently awesome brawls they're having on Raw.

The matches I've seen so far from the G1 has made me feel a lot of things.

I've only watched Day 2 so far but it has further reinforced to me what I have long known - Davey Boy Smith Jr. is the most underrated WWE guy of the past decade.

UberTag

So good. Extra credit to everyone involved for not corpsing at "Paul say something stupid".
Hennig almost broke character but he restrained himself at the last second.

Renee "I will not call her Young" Paquette was really solid in that segment.
Probably the best acting out of a diva all night (after AJ).

Aiii

So not worth it
Why the fuck isn't the Unicorn design on the men's shirt? I would totally buy a unicorn shirt with a proto military design

I dunno. I guess they got some negative feedback on AJ's male shirt having the pink heart and the heart-shaped spider and decided to make this one a bit more masculine instead.

My favorite part is Ishii roaring as Shibata beats him down in the corner into a puddle to set up the dropkick. I just LOVE that moment.

This is the kind of shit that is in highlight reels for years. Ishii losing the chop/kick battle, fighting hard to stay up, but Shibata just murks him with everything then MASSACRES HIM with that dropkick, Christ on sale. They both rule.

Everything after
the reversed Phoenix Splash
was top notch. The pop for the
first Boma Ye right after that was incredible, then Shinsuke turning into a prick, then Ibushi NOT HAVING THAT, then Ibushi's flurry, KICKOUT WTF, now Ibushi's a prick, SHINSUKE SUPER COMBO, KICKOUT AT 1 WTFFFFFFF, BOMA YE HEADSHOT STAY DOWN, KID, STAY DOWN

SO HYPE

Amazing.

THIS IS THE GOOD SHIT RIGHT HERE

Ibushi is best in class. Effortless springboards and shit that nobody could ever dream of. BUT NAKAMURA IS THAT DUDE

Renee "I will not call her Young" Paquette was really solid in that segment.
Probably the best acting out of a diva all night (after AJ).

She's the greatest and I'm really happy that she's a regular cast member on Raw now because she always seemed like a legit fan in her stuff on The Score. That said, she should never leave NXT as she and Emma have the best onscreen romantic chemistry of any wrestling couple in history.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Need a new Vince av. Maybe this can be improved.

NM3tU66.jpg

BFIB

Time for a Fav Five. Your top 5 favorite broadcasters:

5. Schiovane-Mainly when he teamed with Ventura. Great chemistry
4. Ventura-Always loved his heel side
3. Gorilla Monsoon-When he would list in detail the body part being damaged, you knew the shit was serious
2. Jim Ross-And some idiot watching and home says "Yeah, but he knows how to fall!"
1. Bobby Heenan-Classic. Will never be topped IMO.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

5. Vince McMahon himself, needs no explanation. Amazing commentary.
4. Jesse Ventura, made me love heels pretty early on because he justified their logical actions
3. Tony Schiavone, even with the relentless plugging he did he was very utilitarian and solid
2. Larry Zbysko, hated on commentary but I love the sound of his voice
1. Bobby Heenan, late 80s WWF run

BFIB

Its a shame Striker never got more time on commentary. I really liked his old school approach. When wrestlers would leave the ring, he would use the old school psychology "he's using the 10 count, smart move!" and things like that. Miss that style of broadcasting.

jred2k

5. Vince McMahon himself, needs no explanation. Amazing commentary.
4. Jesse Ventura, made me love heels pretty early on because he justified their logical actions
3. Tony Schiavone, even with the relentless plugging he did he was very utilitarian and solid
2. Larry Zbysko, hated on commentary but I love the sound of his voice
1. Bobby Heenan, late 80s WWF run

No JR on an Okie's Fave Five? Way to not be a Boomer Sooner.

5. Schiovane-Mainly when he teamed with Ventura. Great chemistry
4. Ventura-Always loved his heel side
3. Gorilla Monsoon-When he would list in detail the body part being damaged, you knew the shit was serious
2. Jim Ross-And some idiot watching and home says "Yeah, but he knows how to fall!"
1. Bobby Heenan-Classic. Will never be topped IMO.

1. Bobby Heenan - Amazing in WWF, but than he wasn't as good in WCW for some reason
2. Heel Lawler - In the early 90's he was a good replacement for Bobby. Hilarious
3. Gorilla Monsoon
4. Ventura/Alfred Hayes. Tie
5. Jim Ross

Never was a big fan of Schiovane. His voice sounded cheap.

How about broadcasting teams?

5. Tazz + Cole - Admittedly this is more for the in-jokes with me and my friends, and for Cole having no understanding of the human anatomy whatsoever. "He hit him right in the, uh...body!"
4. Vince McMahon + Shawn Michaels - They actually had good banter, HBK was a great foil to "Vin-Man."
3. Joey Styles + Joey Styles - Gotta love Joey Styles.
2. JR + King - Back in King's prime. JR is as good as ever today. Old videos sound like they were on helium compared to today though, WTF is up with that? I don't know anyone who's voice has dropped that much from their 40s to their 60s.
1. Monsoon + Heenan - Will never be topped indeed.

Top Bottom