• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Shaneus

Planet_JASE said:
Well, I've given up on UC3. I think I'm up to chapter 13 or something. The part that I've given up on is
a fight on the deck/pit of a ship with a huge armoured mother fucker and a grenade launching prick up on a higher deck

It's not particularly that part that has forced me to quit, more of a case of the final straw. For most of the game I've felt like I'm fighting the controls and whatever Drake ends up doing is more pot luck than what I intended. For example, in the part in the spoiler tag, I assume I'm meant to be dodging a fair bit. The 'dodge' button is the same as the 'cover' button. The location in full of cover. Huzzah, let's play the game of "Drake takes cover instead of dodging and dies." I'll just deftly jump out of your way, you stupid evil doer!! Oh, I ended up crouching in front of you, and you and you friends have just shot and granade me to death in 3 seconds. Fun.

The platforming, such as it is, is less fun than previous iterations, at least from what I remember. In an attempt to make the movement more realistic, they added more canned animations to the beginning and end animations. This means even a slight movement ends up in a extended animation and overshooting of where you intended to go. It leads to the feeling that the characters are on ice.

Sometimes the NPCs just won't get out of the fucking way in corridors. I've had to reload a save because of this.

Despite the game hand holding for most of the time, sometimes it tells you absolutely nothing and leave it up to you to figire out that you need to climb a mast to get out of the area. Sometimes you get 'hint' tips shoved down your throat in the most obvious situations, sometimes you get none. Sometime the characters endless explain what you need to do through dialogue. Usually this is in a situation where you need to find a particular angle in a room. I know what I'm doing, I'm trying to find it. When you don't know what you're doing, they let you go for 10mins before offering help.

I want to be able to break out of a fist fight quickly, so that I may avoid the gunfire of the 3 other people that have appeared. I don't want to be stuck in this animation. I don't.

I haven't enjoyed the story that much, either.

If the controls are frustrating, the character interplay hasn't been that great and the story hasn't grabbed me, why am I playing?

The answer is that I'm going back to Batman. A game that I felt I had complete and utter control it. A game that I was the motherfucking Batman.

I will come back to Uncharted later. Maybe. I've got a huge backlog of games; games that I won't feel frustrated in most of the time.

So far, this game scores a 6.
Quoting for new page (for you 50p/p folk) but it sounds like you've described Blood Stone almost gripe for gripe. Except BS doesn't go under the pretense of being some multi-million dollar blockbuster with rabid fanboys drooling all over it. So, essentially being the same (quality) game (at least, from your impressions... which at least *sound* believable ;) ), what seems to influence the enjoyment is expectations from the media and a preconceived notion from the developer/series. Dollars to donuts, I bet I'd enjoy Blood Stone than UC3.

Fusebox said:
The quality of the content is not the problem with Australian TV:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_advertisement

Not to mention shitty station watermarks getting larger more opaque and volume boosting ads which is done by reducing the volume of the actual show so they don't fall foul of the volume laws.

That's why I only watch Netflix, Hulu or torrents. Fuck Australian TV.
Horrible. Not to mention the amount of product placement in the shows that actually do well (ie. "reality" shows).

reptilescorpio said:
Da fuck? That really needs to be changed now that there are a hundred different psa companies hocking shit in advertising form.

They shoot for ratings unfortunately. The majority of the population are quite happy watching Celebrity The Apprentice or Home & Away. Maybe we need to hypnotise them into liking higher quality programming. Shaneus is correct, if Channel 9 are willing to scrape up the remains of Big Brother after it was tossed aside by the Australian public and ducked into pieces by 10 then I can't see them ignoring the shitty programming any time soon. Would be nice to actually use my TV for TV one day, aside from the odd bit of sport.
Bolded for inflation of my ego.

But really, there's absolutely nothing on TV that interests me at all. If I could have my way, I'd happily pay for shows or sports on demand/subscription and that's it. I had a blast watching Le Mans 24hr this year in the Foxtel freebie 360 trial, but no fucking way in hell am I going to pay for a channel of stuff of which 90% I won't watch AND will STILL HAVE FUCKING ADS. I don't see how a subscription-based model like I mentioned at the start of this paragraph wouldn't make the stations (or show backers or whoever) as much as actual ad revenue by broadcasting as FTA.

Until then, I have zero qualms downloading some shows as they come out as we're not even in a position where the ratings make a difference to whether a show is still made or not. If I still enjoy the shows, I'll buy them on DVD or BR, and everyone still gets their money... everyone except the broadcasters who feel the need to rape my favourite shows with unnecessary amounts of product promotion.

markot

Banned
I thought uncharted looked shit before people started saying it looks shit. (From Uncharted 1!)

Also, Ico, Halo, ummmmmm. Cod since 2. Name it, I hate it!

legend166

I've played around 30 minutes of Uncharted.

It's......Uncharted. I'm not really shocked how it's plays at this point. But damn, that first melee in the bar in London felt so rough after coming off Batman.

You used to be cool Jase. No Christmas card for you now.

shanshan310 said:
Does that include ads like "brandpower" ?
Infotisement. Brand Power was the start and now our televisions are overrun with "experts".

Shaneus said:
Dollars to donuts, I bet I'd enjoy Blood Stone than UC3.
I liked both games but Uncharted 3 is one of the best games I've played this generation easily.

markot said:
I thought uncharted looked shit before people started saying it looks shit. (From Uncharted 1!)

Also, Ico, Halo, ummmmmm. Cod since 2. Name it, I hate it!
Uncharted 1 was a bit rough but they polished up the mechanics great since (in my opinion of course as it seems that GAF has already decided it is an abomination).

Also Ico? I wouldn't call it shit. It has its problems but certainly one of the games on the PS2 that I would recommend to someone wanting something different. Also I thought the COD hate started after 4? Hard to keep track with the changing pace of Gaming side.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
legend166 said:
I've played around 30 minutes of Uncharted.

It's......Uncharted. I'm not really shocked how it's plays at this point. But damn, that first melee in the bar in London felt so rough after coming off Batman.

Yep totally agreed. I was thinking, They are really trying to do a batman style combat here but it's just so fucking clunky and the animations aren't smooth at all. Plus i'm not batman so i shouldn't be doing this!

evlcookie said:
Yep totally agreed. I was thinking, They are really trying to do a batman style combat here but it's just so fucking clunky and the animations aren't smooth at all. Plus i'm not batman so i shouldn't be doing this!
If you are playing it like Batman you will indeed die a lot. The melee system should only be used in instances where the enemy will only need 1-2 hits to be taken down. After all, Drake has a gun unlike Batman. Run up to a guy, hip fire a few shots up close, 1-2 hit to take out, continue on merry way. Otherwise use the surroundings to your advantage with one hit takedowns.

Arkham has more in common with the combat system of The Witcher 2 than Uncharted 3. Arkham is about timing your hits and flowing around the arena in one, giant graceful combo. In Uncharted you have guys who will shoot at you and flank you.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
reptilescorpio said:
If you are playing it like Batman you will indeed die a lot. The melee system should only be used in instances where the enemy will only need 1-2 hits to be taken down. After all, Drake has a gun unlike Batman. Run up to a guy, hip fire a few shots up close, 1-2 hit to take out, continue on merry way. Otherwise use the surroundings to your advantage with one hit takedowns.

Arkham has more in common with the combat system of The Witcher 2 than Uncharted 3. Arkham is about timing your hits and flowing around the arena in one, giant graceful combo. In Uncharted you have guys who will shoot at you and flank you.

Were were mostly talking about the opening bar scene which is very much trying to pull off a batman combat vibe. The constant reversals, bouncing between guy to guy without any pausing. It just wasn't done well.

I haven't bothered to get past chapter 4 yet, I kinda got sick of looking at all the jaggies and the way drake controls. I might hit it up again next weekend.

evlcookie said:
Were were mostly talking about the opening bar scene which is very much trying to pull off a batman combat vibe. The constant reversals, bouncing between guy to guy without any pausing. It just wasn't done well.
Oh okay. That one scene is really the only 10 minutes you have any gameplay like that since you won't come across any unarmed guys after that. Seemed like they wanted to have a gritty start to the game after the complaints about the stealth approach start of UC2. Plus it ties into the story behind that little section. I played it like AssCreed in that I would just stand there and wait for the Triangle button to appear for the counter, very easy.

codswallop said:
Having finished MW3 yesterday (on 360, veteran) I can safely say that the checkpoints in that game are just as unevenly spaced out. There's one near the end where
you blow a hole in the floor and take out the guys holding the president hostage
that I had to do multiple times simply because there's a long firefight afterwards. So frustrating.

All COD games have similar checkpoints. Veteran in COD games is joke difficulty.

Yagharek

Planet_JASE said:
Well, I've given up on UC3. I think I'm up to chapter 13 or something. The part that I've given up on is
a fight on the deck/pit of a ship with a huge armoured mother fucker and a grenade launching prick up on a higher deck

It's not particularly that part that has forced me to quit, more of a case of the final straw. For most of the game I've felt like I'm fighting the controls and whatever Drake ends up doing is more pot luck than what I intended. For example, in the part in the spoiler tag, I assume I'm meant to be dodging a fair bit. The 'dodge' button is the same as the 'cover' button. The location in full of cover. Huzzah, let's play the game of "Drake takes cover instead of dodging and dies." I'll just deftly jump out of your way, you stupid evil doer!! Oh, I ended up crouching in front of you, and you and you friends have just shot and granade me to death in 3 seconds. Fun.

The platforming, such as it is, is less fun than previous iterations, at least from what I remember. In an attempt to make the movement more realistic, they added more canned animations to the beginning and end animations. This means even a slight movement ends up in a extended animation and overshooting of where you intended to go. It leads to the feeling that the characters are on ice.

Sometimes the NPCs just won't get out of the fucking way in corridors. I've had to reload a save because of this.

Despite the game hand holding for most of the time, sometimes it tells you absolutely nothing and leave it up to you to figire out that you need to climb a mast to get out of the area. Sometimes you get 'hint' tips shoved down your throat in the most obvious situations, sometimes you get none. Sometime the characters endless explain what you need to do through dialogue. Usually this is in a situation where you need to find a particular angle in a room. I know what I'm doing, I'm trying to find it. When you don't know what you're doing, they let you go for 10mins before offering help.

I want to be able to break out of a fist fight quickly, so that I may avoid the gunfire of the 3 other people that have appeared. I don't want to be stuck in this animation. I don't.

I haven't enjoyed the story that much, either.

If the controls are frustrating, the character interplay hasn't been that great and the story hasn't grabbed me, why am I playing?

The answer is that I'm going back to Batman. A game that I felt I had complete and utter control it. A game that I was the motherfucking Batman.

I will come back to Uncharted later. Maybe. I've got a huge backlog of games; games that I won't feel frustrated in most of the time.

So far, this game scores a 6.

I agree almost entirely with what you say here, though I didnt have trouble with the bit you marked in spoilers (I aimed for stealth for most of it). It was drawn out though.

The game is a big step down from Batman in terms of combat, especially seeing as it used the same buttons and prompts. Forgive me if my memory is right, but the melee controls in UC1/2 were different, yes? You could run into enemies and perform lariats and all sorts of moves. UC3 is limited to counter, a useless grapple, QTE mashing and punches.

The other annoying thing is the 5-10m melee perimeter. If an enemy enters it, you are drawn into fisticuffs. So, a scenario for later in the game that could be replicated anywhere:

* I am pinned behind cover by sniper fire
* I am lining up for a zoomed kill with my own scoped rifle
* Enemy comes down stairs and I am drawn into a fist fight automatically
* At exactly the same time, sniper beam lines me up
* Bang, dead

If I had full control, I would have a) shot that sniper dead on and b) punched the attacker immediately after. Instead, the game decided to kill me. Took another 5 reloads to do that bit too as there were 4 or 5 snipers I had already dealt with.

That said, Batman was a letdown too.

edit: Anyone interested in a trade for Uncharted 3? Direct 1:1 trade, open to suggestions for Wii/PS3 games. My online pass has not been used so you get the full deal too. Australian copy.

I appreciate that I havent exactly sold anyone on the game, but if you are more in line with reptilescorpio's line of thought than my own, listen to him and not me :p

Yagharek

legend166 said:
Huge disclaimer - this may or may not be true, but it comes from a pretty trustworthy source - he jumped off the top of the hotel building.

So if someone gets interviewed by police and then subsequently jumps off a building, something fishy is going on.

I feel bad speculating on what it could be, but if you know of his past you can guess what people will be talking about.

It wasn't something unsavoury he was alleged to have done himself, was it? In which case I think I know what you mean and that leads to its own line of speculation, but I may be mistaken and dont want to go any further down that path if I'm wrong (as I suspect).

In other news I watched a few videos of a dude who almost finished Skyward Sword. Game is packed to the gills with content! Graphics look a little on the meh side after Uncharted/RAGE/Skyrim but the motion controls look spot on perfect, with them being a benefit over regular controls. Might have to pony up the cash for it sooner rather than later.

RandomVince said:
* I am pinned behind cover by sniper fire
* I am lining up for a zoomed kill with my own scoped rifle
* Enemy comes down stairs and I am drawn into a fist fight automatically
* At exactly the same time, sniper beam lines me up
* Bang, dead
I thought it was more
* Behind cover trying to pick off a sniper
* Poke up to shoot sniper
* Guy comes up from behind and grabs Drake (I thought if they just shoot you like they normally would you don't get knocked out of aim mode?)
* Press O to break grab
* Roll away using O, Fill bad guy with lead, roll back into cover

Oh and I just realised what section you are talking about. That was one stupid spot for the enemy spawns with 3 on a platform sniping you and 2 guys coming down the stairs separate. Depended on twitch shooting which goes against the nature of the game.

RandomVince said:
It wasn't something unsavoury he was alleged to have done himself, was it? In which case I think I know what you mean and that leads to its own line of speculation, but I may be mistaken and dont want to go any further down that path if I'm wrong (as I suspect).
I know what you are thinking and I'm the same in wanting to wait for more details to come out before I jump to conclusions about what has been circling about him for a bit now. Kind of like how there was a car/truck crash over this side of the state and everyone on Facebook jumped on and had a go about truck drivers when it turned out today that it was actually the car that had gone straight through a stop sign.

Yagharek

reptilescorpio said:
In other news I watched a few videos of a dude who almost finished Skyward Sword. Game is packed to the gills with content! Graphics look a little on the meh side after Uncharted/RAGE/Skyrim but the motion controls look spot on perfect, with them being a benefit over regular controls. Might have to pony up the cash for it sooner rather than later.

I thought it was more
* Behind cover trying to pick off a sniper
* Poke up to shoot sniper
* Guy comes up from behind and grabs Drake (I thought if they just shoot you like they normally would you don't get knocked out of aim mode?)
* Press O to break grab
* Roll away using O, Fill bad guy with lead, roll back into cover

A bit of variation, sure, but sometimes you were shot in the first instance and never had the time to escape from the melee encounter. Some truly "WTF" moments emerged from the game.

I'm currently booting up UC2 for comparison. Going to do a big melee/shootout encounter and see how it compares.

Football Manager guys! I am thinking of grabbing 2006 on 360 for $16. I like the idea of getting into the series plus I love achievements. Were any of the iterations abominations?

Kerrby said:
Friday, 19 October, 2001, 16:08 GMT 17:08 UK

What? He dead dude.
Markot was looking into what may have prompted both the police investigation and his untimely death.

markot

Banned
I was just wiking it up.

Never heard of the guy before TBH! Just looking into the controversy the aboverly posts were talking about.

Um, and yeah, judging from the wiki page, the police were investigating something, took stuff from him too.

>.< Still sad dont get me wrong!

Fredescu

reptilescorpio said:
Football Manager guys! I am thinking of grabbing 2006 on 360 for $16. I like the idea of getting into the series plus I love achievements. Were any of the iterations abominations?
Football Manager is not a gamepad game. That thing is 100% menus, so you want high res, and you want a mouse or at least touch screen. Just looking at the size of the font on these menus makes me think you'd be crazy to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7ZNVSf-aq4

If you want a cheap entry into FM, 2009 for PC/Mac is $11 at your favourite online store.

Jintor

tumblr_luj3vdu1fA1qcrk97o1_500.png

Fredescu said:
Football Manager is not a gamepad game. That thing is 100% menus, so you want high res, and you want a mouse or at least touch screen.
I love playing quirky games that don't quite measure up. I even played through Vampire Rain and Bullet Witch. They were total shit but it was enjoyable that I stuck at it and fandangled the mechanics into a successful playthrough. Those menus look like it would be really frustrating to handle with a controller. Might wait to see if LOGS comes back into stock of FM2007 on 360 for $11 just for the fun of it or maybe even throw caution to the wind and grab FM2012 if it gets below $30. It will either consume my life or one get played once for an hour just like Civ 5. Need more time in the day.

Jintor

midonnay said:
can a dead person be libeled against? >_>

I doubt it. Maybe their estate could sue, if the preservation of his reputation was paramount for economic reasons. But reputation alone of someone who is dead is not protected in most jurisdictions, I'd think.

Omikron

reptilescorpio said:
I love playing quirky games that don't quite measure up. I even played through Vampire Rain and Bullet Witch. They were total shit but it was enjoyable that I stuck at it and fandangled the mechanics into a successful playthrough. Those menus look like it would be really frustrating to handle with a controller. Might wait to see if LOGS comes back into stock of FM2007 on 360 for $11 just for the fun of it or maybe even throw caution to the wind and grab FM2012 if it gets below $30. It will either consume my life or one get played once for an hour just like Civ 5. Need more time in the day.
Do not buy fm on console. You will get rsi from traversing menus.

midonnay

reptilescorpio said:
Was going to ask for a brief rundown so I don't have to give them the traffic but then I asked myself why I cared what they would say if I am not willing to check it out myself.

it was a quite a long article so I didn't want to wall of text but...

We’d have thought the praise might have been best given in context given his form as a convicted criminal abuser of teenage lads in his care and the widespread gossip in media circles that Peter Roebuck was an exploitative sexual predator who used his money and clout to have his way with the poorest and most desperate of kids who wanted a way out of poverty and a chance to play cricket an elite level that Roebuck was tempting them with.

We’re not certain that pedophile is the right word for him technically, as we are only aware of him praying on kids above the age of consent, but his behaviour certainly sounds creepy, exploitative and disturbing and it seems that his employers at Fairfax and the ABC knew his form and knew that it continued until the present day.

Many of those praising him presumably knew of his private life too. More sensible folk like Gideon Haigh – probably the best cricket writer running around – generously described his work but noted the “tragic” circumstances of Roebuck’s demise.

Fredescu said:
It's not a quirky game, it's a great game. Play it on PC.
Argh sorry, I meant that I like gaming in situations that are a bit off. Like b-grade games or Typing of the Dead or Vampire Rain that looks to have been built in a weekend or using a controller for a menu based game. I know the game is brilliant, that is why I am thinking of getting into it, I know I would love it but I was trying to find some kind of hook to overpower the voice in my head telling me I've already got no time and I shouldn't add in something that I will want to devote 5 hours to each day.

Salazar

That's probably the cheapest and flimsiest article I've read in a while.

Fairfax and ABC probably can and probably should sue. Hesitant though I presume they would be to give random internet droolers too much attention.

Fredescu

legend166 said:
The weird thing about that story is that the players were 19.
If he caned boys for not following his house rules and then asked to look at the marks, which age would they have to be for it not to be weird?

Omikron

reptilescorpio said:
Argh sorry, I meant that I like gaming in situations that are a bit off. Like b-grade games or Typing of the Dead or Vampire Rain that looks to have been built in a weekend or using a controller for a menu based game. I know the game is brilliant, that is why I am thinking of getting into it, I know I would love it but I was trying to find some kind of hook to overpower the voice in my head telling me I've already got no time and I shouldn't add in something that I will want to devote 5 hours to each day.

Just get the PC version of 2012, it isn't that expensive. :p

Links! I finally finished my second season, here are some screenshots.

Transfers Season 1

Season 2 Transfers

Season 1 Final Table

Season 2 Final Table

Top Bottom