• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Babysitter who had sex with 11-year-old boy gets suspended sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today in double standards:

A judge has been criticised after deciding not to imprison a 21-year-old babysitter who admitted sexual activity with the 11-year-old boy she was looking after.

Judge Tim Mousley QC gave Jade Hatt a suspended jail term for the offence, committed in November 2014 when she was 20.

Mousley said she was immature, while the boy was mature for his age, and he felt able to step outside normal sentencing guidelines.

He said: “Having read everything before me, it was quite clear he was a mature 11-year-old and you were an immature 20-year-old so that narrows the arithmetic age gap between you.”

The judge also took into account that the boy’s father spoke up for Hatt in court, claiming his son was “fully up for the experience”. However, the boy said he knew what had happened was wrong and he said he had not enjoyed it.

A six-month jail term suspended for two years with supervision was imposed and Hatt was told she must register as a sex offender for seven years. Mousley also imposed a sexual harm prevention order banning her from having unsupervised contact with young boys for two years.

Children’s charity the NSPCC expressed concern at the message the sentencing sent out.

A spokesman said: “The judge’s comments in this case send out completely the wrong message and confirm a common view in society that the abuse of a young boy by a woman is somehow less serious than the abuse of a girl by a man.

“The offender in this case has escaped extremely lightly and you have to wonder whether, in the same circumstances, a man would have been treated the same.

“It beggars belief that Tim Mousley QC could say that the 11-year-old victim’s maturity and the abuser’s immaturity ‘narrowed the age gap’ and was reason to step outside the sentencing guidelines; this sends a deeply worrying signal.

“The victim’s voice appears to have been ignored as, despite his own father claiming that his son was ‘fully up for the experience’, the boy himself said he had not enjoyed it and knew it was wrong. The effects of sexual abuse can be long lasting and it’s essential that this boy is offered the necessary support.”

Swindon crown court heard that Hatt was looking after the youngster as he had a day off school when she stripped off, removed his clothes, and had sexual intercourse.

Hannah Squire, prosecuting, told the court: “The defendant was friends with the boy’s father, with whom she had had a brief sexual relationship.

“He would ask her to babysit; she had babysat his 11-year-old son on six or seven occasions. On one of those occasions this offence took place.

“It was during the day and the boy was off school. The defendant arrived at about 11.30am.Sexual intercourse took place.

She told him she enjoyed it, he said he had not as it was wrong.”

Squire said the boy’s father noticed he had a love bite on his neck and he found texts from Hatt that revealed what had taken place.

Police were called and when arrested, Hatt told officers the boy had told her he was 15, even though she knew his age as his father had told her, the court heard. Hatt, from Swindon, admitted sexual activity with a child.

Rob Ross, defending, said his client was a small, immature, woman and the victim was very advanced for his years. He read out a statement from his father in which he said: “He [the boy] is sex mad. He would have been fully up for this experience and in many ways sees it as a notch on his belt and is totally unaffected by it.”

Ross said Hatt “clearly doesn’t operate at the level of a 20-year-old” and was honest with the police about what had taken place.

Claude Knights, CEO of charity Kidscape, said the language used in court to describe the young victim wrongly implied he was to blame.

She said: “This is a very disturbing case involving attempts to find mitigating circumstances.

“It must be stressed however that we are dealing with an 11-year-old boy who, however physically mature he might appear, is a child in every sense.

“He cannot be expected to have the emotional maturity to engage in a sexual relationship.

“It is very sad to hear this young boy described in terms such as ‘sex mad’, which somehow implies that he was to blame for the illegal activity that took place. We have to ask about the influences that this child was subjected to.”

She added: “Sadly the current sexualisation of childhood is well documented. The fact that he realised that what had happened was wrong indicates that he will have been affected by this regrettable incident.”

Article link

8NYJd65.gif

Loudninja

He said: “Having read everything before me, it was quite clear he was a mature 11-year-old and you were an immature 20-year-old so that narrows the arithmetic age gap between you.”
I don't curse much but what the fuck.

grumble

Sounds like the father tried his best to protect the babysitter. The judge failed.

Sexism at it's most extreme, almost.

Dice//

Banned
I don't curse much but what the fuck.

Lemme double-down. What the fucking fuck.

That's fucking deplorable and she should count her fucking lucky stars that this judge's incredibly stupidly bias ass worked in her favour. That's not about being "immature", that's absolutely mental.

“Having read everything before me, it was quite clear he was a mature 11-year-old and you were an immature 20-year-old so that narrows the arithmetic age gap between you.”

What kind of shit is this?

PBY

Banned
Fuck this.

This is the kind of shit that has an ounce of truth to it, that MRA groups run with and build their own fantasy reality upon.

So insane.

antonz

Dad had fucked the babysitter so obviously he was going to bat for her. Probably plans to hold this over her for more

Kid says it was wrong and that he did not enjoy it but who cares the Dad says it was awesome. So fucked up on so many levels

Dice//

Banned
Fuck this.

This is the kind of shit that has an ounce of truth to it, that MRA groups run with and build their own fantasy reality upon.

So insane.

Reverse the genders and they'd have thrown the babysitter under the prison.

Disgusting.

Believe me, as a feminist I'm grossed out to my core. This isn't fair and the people in this trial suck.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Having read everything before me, it was quite clear he was a mature 11-year-old and you were an immature 20-year-old so that narrows the arithmetic age gap between you.

wI2yfy1.gif

Reset

The judge is a fucking idiot and the babysitter should be locked up for life along with the father.

Hazmat

I know I'll be proven wrong, but nobody can joke "Niiice" at this right? The kid could have been in the fucking fifth grade. The woman belongs on a sex offenders list so that no one leaves her alone with a kid ever again.

sensui-tomo

This has been a week for me and reading up on shitty judges (read up on one who beat up those civil lawyers and is still a judge)

I know I'll be proven wrong, but nobody can joke "Niiice" at this right? The kid could have been in the fucking fifth grade. The woman belongs on a sex offenders list so that no one leaves her alone with a kid ever again.

IIRC posting that image in this context is a ban, which to be honest is at this point not cool to joke about.

rjinaz

Reverse the genders and they'd have thrown the babysitter under the prison.

Disgusting.

Without a doubt. A man can't be immature for his age, and a girl can in no way be mature for her age...

Anyway this is still incredibly stupid. She was 20, not 18 and he was 11 not 16. This is disgusting.

antonz

Amazing how the judge didn't know right away that an 11 year old can't give consent, period!

Judge didn't seem to care what the kid thought even as he explained he was violated. Dad said he was a sex mad kid so it was obviously cool

ItIsOkBro

The judge also took into account that the boy’s father spoke up for Hatt in court, claiming his son was “fully up for the experience”. However, the boy said he knew what had happened was wrong and he said he had not enjoyed it.

Yo, what?

How could the dad say this?

HOW COULD THE JUDGE TAKE IT INTO ACCOUNT?

I cannot comprehend what I'm reading.

Judge didn't seem to care what the kid thought even as he explained he was violated. Dad said he was a sex mad kid so it was obviously cool

It sound like the Dad approved of it...

What a fucked up household. How many kids are "sex mad" at the age of 11?!

Dead Man

11? That's not even 'It's legal in some overseas jurisdictions so a slap on the wrist is okay' territory.

Father needs to have any parental rights taken away too.

Kinsei

Banned
What the fuck. The kid even said he didn't like it and knew it was wrong but the father went on to say that the child was "sex mad"?

How the hell is this woman not getting a full sentence and how the hell has this man still have his child?

“He [the boy] is sex mad. He would have been fully up for this experience and in many ways sees it as a notch on his belt and is totally unaffected by it.”

So basically:
VmxuFNk.jpg

That lawyer is an idiot. That judge is an idiot. And that father is the ultimate idiot.

Carl

Daddy had been fucking the babysitter too so obviously that's why he was covering for her. Fucking weird all around

Pau

And this is why the "Nice..." narrative is so damn damaging. I hope someone in the kid's life believes him and helps him. Utterly ridiculous that the justice system won't.

Is there a way to hold judges accountable to shit like this? I wonder how likely an appeal would be but seriously wouldn't blame the kid for not wanting to go through the ordeal again just to hear that he was literally asking for it.

Father of the year award.
Bet he is screwing the babysitter.

Also didn't South Park do a parody of this type of event?

I still can't wrap my head around this. This is unbelievable. That poor kid is going to have a scar for a long time because of this and the father doesn't give a damn because his son "got some" like it's a score board. This is not the way. *Sigh*

Father of the year award.
Bet he is screwing the babysitter.

He did have sex before with the babysitter multiple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom