• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Balloon Fighter for Smash Bros. in memory of Mr. Iwata

Richie

What does Balloon fighter bring to the table other characters cannot?

A heartfelt tribute to a man who was vital in Smash existing in the first place, for starters.

Also, after all the crazy movesets Sakurai has crafted to the unlikeliest of characters all through the years, are you guys seriously suggesting lack of potential is an issue?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I mean on the same merit, Ness represents a game that Iwata programmed. Balloon Fighter represents him even less so.

Although, I do want more classic Nintendo characters.

Grylvak

Just casted my vote. I hope to see Balloon Fighter float from the top of the screen and then the famous ink splash

"Balloon Fighter floats in!"

JazzmanZ

A heartfelt tribute to a man who was vital in Smash existing in the first place, for starters.

Also, after all the crazy movesets Sakurai has crafted to the unlikeliest of characters all through the years, are you guys seriously suggesting lack of potential is an issue?
So far most of the new Smash bros. 4 characters have brought something unique.

Rosalina & Luma is a puppet fighter
Duck hunt is a zoner
Robin has a durability mechanic
Ryu has two game movesets in one
etc.

The only exceptions are Lucinia and Dark pit since they're last minute clones.

Wanderer5

Yeah. I understand your point. Could easily just follow his like ess as well. Doesnt need to be name sake.

I just don't want them to basically commercialize his passing per say. It why I don't want Balloon Fighter to be paid DLC if they actually go through with it. It honestly should be something more on the side in a way, like I think a trophy of his Mii would be a good idea.

Richie

So far most of the new Smash bros. 4 characters have brought something unique.

Rosalina & Luma is a puppet fighter
Duck hunt is a zoner
Robin has a durability mechanic
Ryu has two game movesets in one
etc.

The only exceptions are Lucinia and Dark pit since they're last minute clones.

Perhaps I didn't express myself clear enough; I meant that lack of potential isn't an issue because Sakurai always finds the way to incorporate something unique in the newcomers. I didn't say there was no issue with lack of potential.

It takes 6-8 months to make a DLC character. They also have to charge for them. I'm not really sure that's honestly the best tribute.

I think a Balloon Fighter Mii Costume or some more Balloon Fight music (there's two cut Balloon Fight songs, one from Melee and one from Brawl they could add) are things they could do quickly and for free, rather than waiting almost a year for a character that will cost 4 dollars.

Not that I'm against the idea in spirit. I just think it's too big of a deal to really make work, versus other ideas that would have a similar tribute, but be substantially cheaper and faster to produce.

Not to say Balloon Fighter couldn't make it in on his own merits, either. Balloon Fighter absolutely deserves to be in Smash Bros. He already has a stage and everything.

Personally, if they want to honour Iwata in Smash, a trophy of him (using the Mii as the model) would feel better.
A trophy of his Mii would be nice.

MajorMane

AlpharadTV (of the "How to 101" series fame) was posting about this on Twitter earlier. Sounds like he might be making a video of what Balloon Fighter might look like soon. I'll post it in this topic if/when he uploads it. In the meantime, his tweets (read top down):

662ceea7e4724aa94bee1eb1f4f2650b.png

f15bce14fca7892ccc5393d45c4f8dbb.png

582ce4f2b7579ae3c14734c7c768ca19.png

7b00b96824aeefdcbd610f580fddb331.png

6af418f8d4767385021a5a7f76a2b2df.png

76e1f68ac4906f7703df6930311c7b10.png

ae21d1a2f4b4a771baf9bd69bef9dd7d.png

Anyway, I would support this idea and think that despite Villager having an Up-B in homage to Balloon Fighter that Balloon Fighter could be his own unique character, as well as a nice tribute to Iwata.

It takes 6-8 months to make a DLC character. They also have to charge for them. I'm not really sure that's honestly the best tribute.

I think a Balloon Fighter Mii Costume or some more Balloon Fight music (there's two cut Balloon Fight songs, one from Melee and one from Brawl they could add) are things they could do quickly and for free, rather than waiting almost a year for a character that will cost 4 dollars.

Not that I'm against the idea in spirit. I just think it's too big of a deal to really make work, versus other ideas that would have a similar tribute, but be substantially cheaper and faster to produce.

Not to say Balloon Fighter couldn't make it in on his own merits, either. Balloon Fighter absolutely deserves to be in Smash Bros. He already has a stage and everything.

A trophy of his Mii would be nice.

Well they could always announce him soon, give away the free costume and music for free in an update and when the character is ready in 6 months release him like normal. Charging for him is absolutely fine and I don't think anyone would be against that. Balloon Fighter is a character that probably got a decent amount of votes anyway and probably has prototypes of him playable back in the office. This to me is more guaranteeing it happens rather than making the impossible happen.

Wanderer5

Well they could always announce him soon, give away the free costume and music for free in an update and when the character is ready in 6 months release him like normal. Charging for him is absolutely fine and I don't think anyone would be against that. Balloon Fighter is a character that probably got a decent amount of votes anyway and probably has prototypes of him playable back in the office. This to me is more guaranteeing it happens rather than making the impossible happen.

Charging him won't be fine if ends up commercializing Iwata's passing. It be pretty poor taste if they do a tribute that they make money off of. A free costume and music should be more than enough Balloon Fighter wise, maybe throw in the stage in the WiiU version too, but hey if Ballon Fighter was already selection, then whatever.

Gleethor

Free Balloon Fight Stage on Wii U would be sufficient. I think Iwata would rather players vote for the character they want most (which is why the ballot was created in the first place) instead of this. He was a pretty humble dude anyway.

FSLink

Banned
Charging him won't be fine if ends up commercializing Iwata's passing. It be pretty poor taste if they do a tribute that they make money off of. A free costume and music should be more than enough Balloon Fighter wise, maybe throw in the stage in the WiiU version too, but hey if Ballon Fighter was already selection, then whatever.

Maybe just throw him in for free for Smash Pack DLC 3 or 4 or whenever they get around to it.

I'll vote for Balloon Fighter after King K. Rool is announced.

This too.

It's not really the same though I don't think. You might have a point if the character was Iwata or the stage was Iwata or something exploitative like that, but Balloon Fighter is a legitimate new character that also works well because it pays homage to Iwata.

Wanderer5

It's not really the same though I don't think. You might have a point if the character was Iwata or the stage was Iwata or something exploitative like that, but Balloon Fighter is a legitimate new character that also works well because it pays homage to Iwata.
But the thing is that Balloon Fighter is still being voted on as a tribute to Iwata, so it is pretty much the same if they go that route, unless he was already in selection , having had a good popularity before this.

But the thing is that Balloon Fighter is still being voted on as a tribute to Iwata, so it is pretty much the same if they go that route, unless he was already in selection , having had a good popularity before this.
So what you're saying is they couldn't add a character associated with Iwata in any way and charge for it without exploiting people? The reason why Balloon Fighter is such a good idea is because he's a subtle tribute to Iwata, one that can stand on his own without the tribute. I'm sure there are people who would have bought the character before Iwata's death.

Crayolan

If he gets in through the ballot he won't be free. If this bothers you, don't vote for him.

I'm sure Nintendo wants to give recognition to Iwata but they're still a business. Maybe they'll put in a free mii costume, but they're not going to create an entirely new character for free.

Even if we don't get Balloon Fighter, it will raise awareness for the cause. Would love it if he gets some kind of tribute in the game through this. A Nintendo Direct assist trophy? A Balloon Fight stage? A musical tribute? I'll take anything.

These things already exist.

CengizMan

Even if we don't get Balloon Fighter, it will raise awareness for the cause. Would love it if he gets some kind of tribute in the game through this. A Nintendo Direct assist trophy? A Balloon Fight stage? A musical tribute? I'll take anything.

Wanderer5

So what you're saying is they couldn't add a character associated with Iwata in any way and charge for it without exploiting people? The reason why Balloon Fighter is such a good idea is because he's a subtle tribute to Iwata, one that can stand on his own without the tribute. I'm sure there are people who would have bought the character before Iwata's death.

I just saying that if he didn't get much votes before, he is now being popular for the reason of being a tribute, which is just going to look like commercializing if Nintendo takes the offer to do just that with a price tag. Balloon Fighter existence is cause of him being a tribute if he didn't have much ground before.

If he gets in through the ballot he won't be free. If this bothers you, don't vote for him.

I'm sure Nintendo wants to give recognition to Iwata but they're still a business. Maybe they'll put in a free mii costume, but they're not going to create an entirely new character for free.

I agree they shouldn't do it for free, which is why I think it not really a tribute to go for.

I just saying that if he didn't get much votes before, he is now being popular for the reason of being a tribute, which is just going to look like commercializing if Nintendo takes the offer to do just that with a price tag. Balloon Fighter existence is cause of him being a tribute if he didn't have much ground before.

I agree they shouldn't do it for free, which is why I think it not really a tribute to go for.
Well good thing we have no way of knowing what his results were before 😁

Jamix012

Incorporate some Iwata into his taunts too... Side taunt could be pulling out some bananas. Up taunt could be the "directly" hands.

Kirby is a much better homage, Balloon fighter was just one of the 100s of Joust clones.

The Nintendoland version is amazing anyway, only what 3 years ago?

The fact that he's available as a DLC character is the tribute itself. I fail to see why this is a big deal. We don't want special treatment we just want it to be a DLC character like the rest of them.

All that matters to Nintendo is that Balloon Fighter is hopefully getting a considerable number of votes. While they're at it, a nod to Iwata within the moveset, stage etc would be fantastic but isn't necessary as having the character is a tribute in itself, and as long as we the voters know that then that's all that matters.

Son Of D

AlpharadTV (of the "How to 101" series fame) was posting about this on Twitter earlier. Sounds like he might be making a video of what Balloon Fighter might look like soon. I'll post it in this topic if/when he uploads it. In the meantime, his tweets (read top down):

Anyway, I would support this idea and think that despite Villager having an Up-B in homage to Balloon Fighter that Balloon Fighter could be his own unique character, as well as a nice tribute to Iwata.

I find it weird that he mentions two characters called Roy. It's not like them two having the same name means they have the same moveset or anything.

MajorMane

I find it weird that he mentions two characters called Roy. It's not like them two having the same name means they have the same moveset or anything.

I took that part as a joke/satire towards the people that immediately discount a character like Balloon Fighter just because Villager has an Up-B that uses the Balloon Fighter's balloons. He feels that these people are being as ridiculous as if someone would complain about FE Roy being put in the game when there's already a character named Roy in Sm4sh.

But you're right, it is kind of weird.

You'd be surprised how many people come up with reasons and excuses why a character can't be in. This smash has taught me that there are NO rules and NO patterns. We even got two third party characters from one company. The only rule I believe in is that it has to be character who originated from a video game, and I wouldn't even be surprised if that gets broken. Who's to say there won't be a huge thing with Disney one day and then we get Mickey Mouse?

Top Bottom