• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

have you tried slapping on SMAA? I always added that through RadeonPro for all the Akrham games and it would smooth everything out so nicely.

Good luck with that in Arkham Knights if there is no way to turn off the grain first, this will make SMAA useless and fxaa will only destroy the image quality further (I don't have the game but have some bad experiences with other games where that is the case)... but I'm happy to be proven wrong if it actually works though.

I am glad I went for the PS4 version now but love all the "30fps on PC is unacceptable" posts, like the game is totally unplayable at 30fps.

Don't get me wrong I play on PC too (My PC: i5 2500K @4.4Ghz, 8GB RAM, MSI GTX 760 Gaming Edition) so I know the benefits of 60fps, although I need to upgrade my GPU now, but it does make me laugh how people overreact to a game being 30fps.

30fps is totally playable (yes even on a PC) it's just not as good as 60fps, so why not just play it at 30fps just until they patch it or just hang on a day or two and then start it once it's patched.

I can deal with a smooth 30fps if I have to. Problem: This game does not offer a smooth 30fps, there are stutters and frame pacing issues.

Zakalwe

Banned
I am glad I went for the PS4 version now but love all the "30fps on PC is unacceptable" posts, like the game is totally unplayable at 30fps.

Don't get me wrong I play on PC too (My PC: i5 2500K @4.4Ghz, 8GB RAM, MSI GTX 760 Gaming Edition) so I know the benefits of 60fps, although I need to upgrade my GPU now, but it does make me laugh how people overreact to a game being 30fps.

30fps is totally playable (yes even on a PC) it's just not as good as 60fps, so why not just play it at 30fps just until they patch it or just hang on a day or two and then start it once it's patched.

Some people spent a good deal of money on tech to not be restricted to console level performance.

And some people are extremely sensitive to framrates, I can understand why 30fps would be unplayable for some.

Qassim

Because I'm *constantly* distracted by 30fps and will enjoy the game less. So I've refunded the game and am waiting for a patch, so that when I do play it, I can not be distracted by low framerate and enjoy it all the more.

And despite all of the negative reports and user reviews today, this has still happened.

PyeC3A1.jpg

Clear evidence that you truly can lead a PC gamer to water....

In the unlikely event that everyone disappointed actually refunds this, I wonder if this could be reversed.

Seanspeed

Banned
AK is most definitely an underwhelming port for many people but when you have people with 980s or whatever saying that they can deal with 30fps, that shows that they are versatile and can adapt. However, that doesn't mean that they won't choose a 60+fps option if given the choice. Calling them out for finding 30fps playable isn't really needed. They're just as unhappy with the port as most people are.
Some people may be able to adapt and we shouldn't call out others for having different standards.

That said, the entire reason I upgraded my GTX670 is because I didn't want to play these newer games at only 30fps. I simply wont be buying this until it becomes reasonably assured I can play this at a somewhat consistent 60fps with decent settings.

Tovarisc

Bethesda have been guilty of a lot in the past but bullshit frame rate limits has never been one of those things AFAIK.

FPS being locked to 60 is better than to 30, but FPS locks do still suck. Especially in era of 144Hz monitors where people want increase that FPS as much as possible. In Skyrim if you unlock FPS from 60 you cause physics simulation to go apeshit crazy.

It's a basic setting for all PC games to be able to change fps limit. Oh and stuttering is the bigger issue here it seems. As the 30fps limit can be worked around. A bad port, can't be.

I have seen people comment saying if runs better at 30fps though so it's likely not optimized to run at 60fps, probably why it was set to 30fps as standard.

As for the other issues, I'm pretty sure they will patch it shortly to sort it out.

Some people keep their PCs up to date with latest hardware just so we can play it at above 30 fps. Those people have every right to say 30 fps is unacceptable.

O.DOGG

Not that it matters to anyone experiencing performance issues but the game's been running great for me. 970 with everything maxed out including all the gameworks features at 1920x1200. The game runs at a steady 40+ frames with the occasional dip at times but nothing experience-breaking. I've clocked a good 10+ hours so far and the game has been nothing but joy performance-wise . I hope they fix it fast for the people with problems, the game is great fun (hate the Riddler sections though).

Larogue

30fps is shit tier, if your eyes are used to playing at 60 and beyond. Why would anyone force himself to accept this gimmick fps lock.

But still that's not the main problem, the poor performance and stutter are more serious issues right now.

MiguelItUp

For the record my performance is slightly up and down, but is beyond playable. Generally getting 50-60FPS with i7 4770, 970, and 16GB DDR3. It's bizarre how amazingly inconsistent this performance is for people. Hopefully it all gets patched here soon. I'm laid back and don't mind a game's performance as long as it's playable and functional, but this was delayed SO many times. This kind of inconsistent performance is unacceptable.

BloodR0se

FPS being locked to 60 is better than to 30, but FPS locks do still suck. Especially in era of 144Hz monitors where people want increase that FPS as much as possible. In Skyrim if you unlock FPS from 60 you cause physics simulation to go apeshit crazy.

Yes but Bethesda RPG's always seem to be perched uncomfortably on the edge of technical disaster though and that's before you even adds mods to the equation.

It'd be very interesting to see the Steam refund stats for this game. But somehow I suspect Warner Bros won't be sharing those. I do hope it's a severe impact though.

Sullichin

Lol, and to think I thought I'd get to choose between 30fps/gameworks and 60fps/no gameworks on my 970. Maybe that was an unfair expectation but considering this game came free with my card and Nvidia has been advertising the gameworks features, I thought the game would be a good showcase for the 970, just like The Witcher 3 is.

I'm getting the best performance with 30fps lock in game + rivatuner locked to 30fps. Without rivatuner, the game actually runs at 31fps most of the time and I get some stuttering. But no matter what, when I'm in the batmobile or gliding around, there is very noticeable stuttering and frame drops. Combat feels very smooth and the framerate is rock solid there.

The game looks great. I'm a fan of all the blur/post-processing that some people don't like though. and I'd be fine with 30fps locked but the game just feels like it stops completely for seconds at a time. It's a shame because from what I've played the game is awesome. The free flow combat animation is incredible. I'm going to stick with it because it's still playable. But it's definitely making me enjoy the batmobile sections less because it makes the game run like shit.

Qassim

And despite all of the negative reports and user reviews today, this has still happened.

PyeC3A1.jpg

Eh, that's not necessarily all that telling. What is telling is this:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats

Only 20,000 currently people are playing this game on Steam, on launch day. Compare that to The Witcher 3, which on Steam alone (when more than half of Witcher 3 PC owners didn't buy it on steam), reached 92,000 on its launch day.

A big AAA release like Batman not even breaking the top 10 most played games for its launch day is actually quite poor. Most AAA games get into top 10 quite convincingly on release on Steam.

To be fair I think this is mostly on the publisher (WB). I doubt Rocksteady had too much say in this decision. They probably would have developed it themselves but were stretched too thin.

There is no reason for this game to be locked at 30. That is where all of the hate including mine is coming from. I have a 970 over clocked and there is no reason besides a shit port and that for sure is unacceptable. Even looking at the comparison between the consoles and pc shows a big gap in what the PC got. I accept 30 fps on consoles but I don't on pc. If I had this on console I wouldn't complain.

CryptiK

After having the game crash multiple times within 10 mins I now have it running stably without a single crash.

I did the following and only the following:

1. Config Edit to 60FPS Cap.
2. The game seemingly suffers a massive memory leak, so up your page file. I set this to my secondary SSD and upped the size to 5GB.
3. Turn of every overlay you have. Steam, FRAPS, Geforce Experience all of them.
4. Make sure all background unnecessary programs are closed.

The game is maxed out settings wise + Gameworks settings all on.

My system:

i7-2600K 4.5GHz
8GB RAM
GTX Geforce TITAN

I haven't had a crash since and my framerate has been in the 40s-50s. 3 Hours in.

GLHF.

Mask

Tested it out on my PC. My specs..

Intel i5 4690k 3.5ghz
Nvidia GTX 980 Superclocked
8gb Corsair 1600mhz
Running it off a normal 1.5tb hdd

Turned all the Gameworks stuff on, Shadows to normal, everything else high. On the performance test, I got the following results. Running it at 1080p resolution.

Minimum FPS: 42
Average FPS: 54
Maximum FPS: 60

In-game, it varied about 57-49, depending on the situation. Batmobile stuff definitely dipped it into the high end of 40 frames. More than 10 thugs and a large amount of paper debris also dropped it into the low end of 50 frames.

Needs a patch, considering I have most of the recommended specs, minus the CPU. Hopefully the required specs drop after a few good patches.

datamage

You guys have it all wrong.

The first part of the game is being manipulated by Scarecrow and he is causing the performance issues. Once you get past it, you unlock the Ultra options and the game is smooth as silk.

styl3s

Some people keep their PCs up to date with latest hardware just so we can play it at above 30 fps. Those people have every right to say 30 fps is unacceptable.
I think he's referring more to the people who state that like it's a fact and not their personal preference. A lot of people here say 30fps is unplayable which is the most hyperbolic bullshit i have ever heard in my life.

BloodR0se

Eh, that's not necessarily all that telling. What is telling is this:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats

Only 20,000 currently people are playing this game on Steam, on launch day. Compare that to The Witcher 3, which on Steam alone (when more than half of Witcher 3 PC owners didn't buy it on steam), reached 92,000 on its launch day.

A big AAA release like Batman not even breaking the top 10 most played games for its launch day is actually quite poor. Most AAA games get into top 10 quite convincingly on release on Steam.

Probably because most of the people who bought it are now on forums and Reddit trying to find ways to fix it.

Well I'm glad I didn't grab this on the $36 sale. Looks like my 7950 can't hack it. I'm just going to wait for the GOTY version on PS4, WB has pissed me off with their DLC carve up games, and I'm not throwing money at these practices anymore.

Kysen

I skipped the ps4 version for a shit port.... When will I learn. I also can't get a refund as I bought the key on Amazon.

Irobot82

Good luck with that in Arkham Knights if there is no way to turn off the grain first, this will make SMAA useless and fxaa will only destroy the image quality further (I don't have the game but have some bad experiences with other games where that is the case)... but I'm happy to be proven wrong if it actually works though.

Bummer. When I get home I'll start looking through the .ini files. It's got to be in there somewhere.

Game is broken. I go from 100-27 frames real quick. It's like I dont learn from preordering games. I already got burned with MKX, you'd think I'd learn to hold off on PC versions. SMH.

This is the kind of shit that turns people away from PC gaming. Whats the point of turning steam and PC gaming into a console equivalent experience when the games often times run much worse for a period of time?

They had a chance to convert people by making the PC the best version available but they keep fucking up with big titles (Unity, MKX, AK).

Vlaphor

I almost feel guilty in saying that it seems to run pretty well for me. 1080p, everything turned on except dynamic smoke, frame set to 60, and it runs fairly well. The frame rate judders are more noticeable, but they aren't that common.

GTX 970
I7 4790 4.4ghz
8gb of ram
Installed on an SSD

flyshow

PyeC3A1.jpg

More salt added when you see the game at the second place is another example of being unoptimized and broken while still striding to million sales club.

KR_remix

img

I don't think the game is selling all that much better than games that have been out for a while now, it fell out of the number one spot in favor of Ark when I checked this morning. We'll see in a few days I guess when steamspy numbers are reliable.

Gbraga

Not that it matters to anyone experiencing performance issues but the game's been running great for me. 970 with everything maxed out including all the gameworks features at 1920x1200. The game runs at a steady 40+ frames with the occasional dip at times but nothing experience-breaking. I've clocked a good 10+ hours so far and the game has been nothing but joy performance-wise . I hope they fix it fast for the people with problems, the game is great fun (hate the Riddler sections though).

Which OS are you using?

deeptech

I think he's referring more to the people who state that like it's a fact and not their personal preference. A lot of people here say 30fps is unplayable which is the most hyperbolic bullshit i have ever heard in my life.

It is unplayable to the people who are used to playing at higher fps all the time. Eyes get tired pretty quickly in my case as well.. But when there's no other way, i just go with it

bathsalts

Super disappointed WB went with Iron Galaxy for this. Why would they go with a company seemingly notorious for shoddy port jobs on their flagship title?

Saving a few bucks obviously, the only good thing coming out of this is a backlash, this big ass and very visible thread and refunds that would hopefully encourage publishers that there enough people playing AAA shit on PC that dumpster fire ports aren't as easily swept under the rug these days.

i5-4670K @ default 3.4GHz
8GB RAM
Win 8.1 x64
Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
840 Pro SSD

Running in Steam Big Picture on 1080p TV.
Just played it for an hour with no .ini tweaking, just to see if it even works.
Well, it works. Everything maxed, including Gameworks and I got 30fps locked. HOWEVER... my eyes are bleeding. No way I'm gonna play this game like that.
I'll go and try unlocking the framerate, enabling AF and removing motion blur (yuck).
Will report in a couple of hours.

The batmobile just kills performance! I unlocked the FPS and used nVidia Control Panel to set it to half v-sync and still get terrible stuttering when driving around. My framerate drops to sub 30 FPS and maybe even to single digits. On top of that, textures are not loading in. Leaving me with just blurry/blobby looking characters and environments.

steam refunds wont impact them much IMO as they will probably just get the console version which is what rocksteady probably wants in the first place

Top Bottom