• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

AJLma

This stuttering issue has been a problem in so many open world games that are really pushing hardware recently.

GTA5, TW3, now Batman AK.

Makes me think that there may be some limitations under the hood that all of these developers are struggling with.

BloodR0se

steam refunds wont impact them much IMO as they will probably just get the console version which is what rocksteady probably wants in the first place

They will if they're in America or Europe but not Brazil, Russia, India, China etc.

And those markets are quite important in the PC space now I think.

Qassim

This stuttering issue has been a problem in so many open world games that are really pushing hardware recently.

Makes me think that there may be some limitations under the hood that all of these developers are struggling with.

I didn't experience any stuttering in TW3 or GTA5, they run super smooth for me. Watch_Dogs was the only one that begun to exhibit that behaviour after the first couple of patches for me.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
That PC metacritic user score is a sight to behold, lol.

What is absolutely pathetic is the real metacritic score on the game. Fucking journalists.

If only there were big movement to call them out on this shit. Oh wait, Iron Galaxy/WB is neither a woman or a tiny indie studio. Oh well, I guess they are fine then.

AEREC

i7-870 @ 2.9GHZ
Evga GTX 970 SC (4GB)
8GB RAM
Win 8.1

1080p
All settings maxed + Gameworks stuff

Seems like it's locked at 30fps but with stutters, especially when driving the batmobile around. However the steam FPS counter never dips below 30.

Game is broken. I go from 100-27 frames real quick. It's like I dont learn from preordering games. I already got burned with MKX, you'd think I'd learn to hold off on PC versions. SMH.

This is the kind of shit that turns people away from PC gaming. Whats the point of turning steam and PC gaming into a console equivalent experience when the games often times run much worse for a period of time?

They had a chance to convert people by making the PC the best version available but they keep fucking up with big titles (Unity, MKX, AK).

Why would they want to convert people? I'm sure they're enjoying the fat exclusivity checks they're getting from Microsoft and Sony

boskee

To be fair I think this is mostly on the publisher (WB). I doubt Rocksteady had too much say in this decision. They probably would have developed it themselves but were stretched too thin.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I was surprised to see that they only have 160 employees. That's less than CDPR. People should cut them some slack and focus on the Greater Evil that is WB.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I think he's referring more to the people who state that like it's a fact and not their personal preference. A lot of people here say 30fps is unplayable which is the most hyperbolic bullshit i have ever heard in my life.

To be honest, everyone is different.
Personally, I can feel fps drops as a slow down and a low consistent frame rate as "laggy" or "uneven/smooth" which in the end cause my head to hurt and/or fatigue. Don't ask me why.

However, in the end consistency 60 or above is better then anything else.

I'm just playing harley's section over and over since at least it runs smoothly..
Why aren't there any challenge maps I can fuck around in...

Layell

What the hell, 5 discs for the retail PC version but it will only install the "first" 8GB, the rest (25GB) has to be downloaded through steam.... fuck you each other the Warner Brothers, rocksteady you can join them.

I just got burned this way too.

Do these clowns have any idea why people might buy physical copies when steam exists, perhaps we like not burning through our internet??? But of course we're likely going to get the 30 gig MKX patch treatment as well.

Well I work the night shift today, so now is a good of a time to sleep as any.

AEREC

I only have stuttering on TW3 if I set everything to ultra with hairworks. GTAV I got stuttering if I went over my VRAM usage on my old GTX 760 2GB, however on my new GTX 970 4GB I cant max out my VRAM usage and it runs smoothly with no stuttering.

With Batman people are getting stuttering even with lowest settings on high end cards. So hopefully this is just a bug with how the game uses VRAM.

AJLma

I didn't experience any stuttering in TW3 or GTA5, they run super smooth for me.

I've only had major issues with TW3 out of these 3 games, and only running maxed out at what otherwise was a smooth framerate.

Other people were definitely reporting a lot of stuttering in the TW3 and GTA5 threads though.

With Batman people are getting stuttering even with lowest settings on high end cards. So hopefully this is just a bug with how the game uses VRAM.

Ah, really? I haven't messed around with lower end settings yet.

I did notice that my Titan X was hitting 6GB+ VRAM usage after about an hour of play.

What is absolutely pathetic is the real metacritic score on the game. Fucking journalists.

If only there were big movement to call them out on this shit. Oh wait, Iron Galaxy/WB is neither a woman or a tiny indie studio. Oh well, I guess they are fine then.

Journalists only had the ps4 versions, what were they supposed to do lol. And to be fair a lot of sites are now reporting on this

Convinced my brother to go PC over PS4. I am awaiting the first "what the hell man" text of the day.

I thought PC games were finally getting the proper attention it deserves, but nope. Super frustrating.

Ros8105

I almost feel guilty in saying that it seems to run pretty well for me. 1080p, everything turned on except dynamic smoke, frame set to 60, and it runs fairly well. The frame rate judders are more noticeable, but they aren't that common.

GTX 970
I7 4790 4.4ghz
8gb of ram
Installed on an SSD
I have the same specs and the game runs well for me too. The extra nvidia effects are turned off though. Maybe the devs had similar hardware and they only optimized it for these specs or whatever. What a shitshow.

The fuck?

Most review outlets are provided the console version for review because it's standardized hardware. Matter of fact, there is no Critic score on Metacritic for the PC version.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Convinced my brother to go PC over PS4. I am awaiting the first "what the hell man" text of the day.

I thought PC games were finally getting the proper attention it deserves, but nope. Super frustrating.
They mostly are. Over the last year it was the console versions of games that often shipped with the most issues. PC releases have been great on average. It's these last two WB games that are a real issue.

Qassim

I've only had major issues with TW3 out of these 3 games, and only running maxed out at what otherwise was a smooth framerate.

Other people were definitely reporting a lot of stuttering in the TW3 and GTA5 threads though.

I think the point is that those could be bugs or issues with particular setups rather than limitations in the engine or game, as many people can play those games without any sort of stuttering.

Whereas with Batman, it seems to be a significantly higher percentage of people experiencing it.

Fuck. Preordered this with GMG's 40% off coupon, and even bought the full edition with the season pass and all DLC. Now I'm shown and told that this shit is pretty much unplayable, and I can't get a refund.

I'll just take my time with Witcher 3 and wait for a patch. I'm not giving them any more money than I already have to buy the PS4 version like I should have.

Menome

...I'm running the game fairly smoothly on an i5-3750k, Nvidia 780 OC and 8GB RAM. (Without Gameworks extras) Don't know how, not gonna ask.

I set Max FPS to 120 in the .ini, set the "Mobile" motion-blur to 0.0 (Proper one causes game to crash on start-up) and left in-game V-Sync on. Normal textures, Medium shadows, High detail.

I'm keeping a consistent 60fps and I'll live without the extra bits until a patch arrives.

Sullichin

...I'm running the game fairly smoothly on an i5-3750k, Nvidia 780 OC and 8GB RAM. (Without Gameworks extras) Don't know how, not gonna ask.

I set Max FPS to 120 in the .ini, set the "Mobile" motion-blur to 0.0 (Proper one causes game to crash on start-up) and left in-game V-Sync on. Normal textures, Medium shadows, High detail.

I'm keeping a consistent 60fps and I'll live without the extra bits until a patch arrives.

Do you get 60fps when gliding in the open world or using the batmobile?

cheesekao

Some people may be able to adapt and we shouldn't call out others for having different standards.

That said, the entire reason I upgraded my GTX670 is because I didn't want to play these newer games at only 30fps. I simply wont be buying this until it becomes reasonably assured I can play this at a somewhat consistent 60fps with decent settings.
Well that's what you believe in and that's completely fine. The important thing is that we don't force our standards onto other people.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Ahh great, after preloading it last night, unlocking it after work and now trying to run and having it crash as it boots, i tried to verify the files with steam.

It failed to verify 4400something files and now redownloading 33.8GB.

Amazing work. Such a game.

I keep hearing people say this game looks amazing despite the performance issues, and it is making me wonder if my copy is busted. I don't mind having to lock the game at 30fps too much, but the entire game is just a blurry mess and looks out of focus to me. I'm playing at 1080p, but none of my other games look this blurry. Anyone else experiencing this or have a fix for it?

I played yesterday for about 4 hours.

On a

GTX 770
I74770k
8GB Ram
SSD

I get about 45 FPS with all settings on normal and gameworks off except rain and light shafts. The benchmark was telling me 54 FPS. It runs okay while in game but framerate fluctuates wildly. On average about 45fps with occasional stutters and dips into the teens.

I'm hoping my 980 Ti will run this better when it comes in today.

kuYuri

i7 4790k @ 4.00
16GB RAM
GTX 970
installed to SSD
Windows 7
Latest Nvidia drivers
1920x1200

On all settings to their max, all gameworks effects on except smoke, I get mostly 60FPS. The framerate dips to the 30s during batmobile at times and random stutters do happen while gliding and such, but overall the experience for me is fine, it never becomes unplayably bad.

Turning off Gameworks settings gives me less stutters, so that might be the way to go if you want more consistent framerates.

Tovarisc

Why we assume that WB sub-contracted PC port to other team and not Rocksteady doing sub-contracting? E.g. Gearbox sub-contracted a lot of Aliens: Colonial Marines development to other team while GB got funds from SEGA for development, and then GB paid other team.

So I guess I'm asking how we know sub-contracting PC port to other team was WB's and not Rocksteady's decision?

Why are you blaming journalists for a version they didnt play and issues they didnt experience? PS4 was what journalists played...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why we assume that WB sub-contracted PC port to other team and not Rocksteady doing sub-contracting? E.g. Gearbox sub-contracted a lot of Aliens: Colonial Marines development to other team while GB got funds from SEGA for development, and then GB paid other team.

So I guess I'm asking how we know sub-contracting PC port to other team was WB's and not Rocksteady's decision?

WB owns Rocksteady so there wouldn't have been an injection of cash to redirect. That doesn't mean it wasn't Rocksteady's idea to outsource the port, though.

OzzieMandrill

Neo Member
Ahh great, after preloading it last night, unlocking it after work and now trying to run and having it crash as it boots, i tried to verify the files with steam.

It failed to verify 4400something files and now redownloading 33.8GB.

Amazing work. Such a game.

Same here. Strange thing is, the first time I downloaded it the game weighted 35.6 GB (or something like that, but definitely more than 33.8). What the hell?

jacobeid

Banned
Well I'm glad I didn't grab this on the $36 sale. Looks like my 7950 can't hack it. I'm just going to wait for the GOTY version on PS4, WB has pissed me off with their DLC carve up games, and I'm not throwing money at these practices anymore.

I don't really think your GPU is a problem.

I'm running the game on a 7850. I'm at 1920x1080 with AA off (which actually seems to make the game less muddy?), low textures (as opposed to the normal texture, no high settings are available), high shadows and high LOD.

My game often runs at 30fps but stutters like a nightmare.

Top Bottom