• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

Thanks. That's what I did. Any chance you share your SweetFX settings for SMAA?

No problem. My SMAA settings are just for the ultra preset I found off the net. Here they are:

Code:
#define SMAA_THRESHOLD              0.05  //[0.05 to 0.20] 
#define SMAA_DEPTH_THRESHOLD        0.01 //[0.001 to 0.100] 
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS         98  //[0 to 98] 
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG     16  //[0 to 16] 
#define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING           30  //[0 to 100]

Reishiki

Banned
i7-4930k @ 4.2GHz
GTX Titan
16GB RAM
Windows 10 Preview

Not had a problem since last night, although only found out about the ini tweak this afternoon. I think the minor stutters I've had are because the game is installed on my slowest HDD.

Dartastic

i7 4790k @ 4.00
16GB RAM
GTX 970
installed to SSD
Windows 7
Latest Nvidia drivers

On all settings to their max, all gameworks effects on except smoke, I get mostly 60FPS. The framerate dips to the 30s during batmobile at times and random stutters do happen while gliding and such, but overall the experience for me is fine, it never becomes unplayably bad.

Turning off Gameworks settings gives me less stutters, so that might be the way to go if you want more consistent framerates.
Yeah, I've been having a similar experience, but I'm running Windows 8.1. I have all the same specs outside of that. I think I'm probably going to just turn off the Gameworks stuff and see how my PC deals with it, especially as I've heard that the Gameworks stuff isn't THAT good. Hopefully a patch will come out soon that will allow me to turn some of that stuff on.

SSD and this is my performance:
http://youtu.be/Xcg4tU-o9FM
Perfectly playable IMO, though the Batmobile performance leaves a bit to be desired (it's a tad worse in the video due to recording at the same time). Hopefully they patch it up soon so everyone can experience the game at a somewhat stable 60.

That doesn't look bad at all, especially compared to the other video where it nearly freezes every other second.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Same here. Strange thing is, the first time I downloaded it the game weighted 35.6 GB (or something like that, but definitely more than 33.8). What the hell?

Steam downloads are compressed. The "Disk space required" figure reported when you go to install a game is the total amount of space the game will take up when installed and will always be larger than the reported download size.

Ce-Lin

well maybe it's placebo but after validating/reinstalling the game it runs way smoother, I'm not suggesting this to anyone just telling a personal experience, I'm using 4790K + GTX 970 + 16 GB DDR3 + latest 353.30 drivers + Windows 8.1, also game installed on SSD drive, all settings to max except Gameworks stuff (I only enabled the rain effects and might enable the smoke effects too after some testing) so far the game is always 50-60 fps @1080p with some minor drops caused to the usual background streaming of assets.

PzycP1s.jpg

Sonson21

Banned
Has been working fine for me
i5-4690K 3.50GHz
Ram 8G
GTX 970
Window's 8.1
Everything on high besides texture, since it won't go past normal.
Turned off the extra fog, paper and rain effects. Didn't mess with the 30fps lock. (Being new to PC gaming, 30fps has never bothered me anyway.)

I didn't experience any problems with MK either, which was a horrible launch for most.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm in Japan on vacation and can't get this to play. The pre-load completed but I get a message saying "content still encrypted." I take it this game is region-locked?

komorebi

Going to post this again to try and get an answer.

This user on the steam forums posted this

http://steamcommunity.com/app/208650/discussions/0/594821545178169665/

Verifing files, 4540 files failed. 33 gb of redownload.
I refuse to believe that Rocksteady who put out 2 quality Arkham games which are greatly polished, to have pulled off AC Unity launch with one of their biggest games yet. I went on to verify the game files and apparently preload screwed something up. Over 4000 files are missing or corrupted. I hope that once this is done, we'll get the game we deserve and need. With proper framerates and optimisation.

I'll update how it goes.

UPDATE : Okay guys so here's the update. After veryfing , the game started to have constant 30 fps , no drops. I am running on a MSI GTX 980 / i7 4790k / MSI Z97 S02 Edition motherboard and 16 gb of RAM. Everything maxed out and I unlocked the FPS limit in the ini. Game is running like butter now, looks georgeous enough. I still wish they added more options and fixed the AA.

I'm glad that it was the preload and not the game. The game is not demanding for me, running it at 60fps now with no drops on max. Just remember to unlock FPS.

I'm prepared to try this unless someone flat out tells me don't bother. Download will take a good 5+ hours though so....

Ce-Lin

AFAIK ssd's have no impact on game performance or im i wrong?

PC is as fast as the slowest part in use... so if the game relies on streaming you'd want fast streaming so your CPU/GPU/RAM won't stay there waiting for your storage device to deliver the data.

datamage

This stuttering issue has been a problem in so many open world games that are really pushing hardware recently.

GTA5, TW3, now Batman AK.

Makes me think that there may be some limitations under the hood that all of these developers are struggling with.

I wouldn't lump Batman in with GTA5 and TW3.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Same here. Strange thing is, the first time I downloaded it the game weighted 35.6 GB (or something like that, but definitely more than 33.8). What the hell?

Preload was the same size as the game is redownloading now. Im so happy i got this free.

Weird thing, first time i ran the game it worked flawless, then i changed the FPS limit to 60 (tried 144 too) and used nVidia Experience to apply the recommended settings.
After that it kept crashing as soon as i pressed play, or after the intro movies. Not sure what is going on so i hoped verify would see if something corrupted, buuuuut seems like everything was corrupted according to steam.

Ryne

With my 980 ti and the below specs I have no problems with the game. Turning on that Nvidia specific stuff causes issues and slowdowns however. I kept the paperworks off and can run it at locked 30, or 60 to 30 when unlocked which is terrible.

They definitely need to fix the game though, way too many reports of bad performance.

i7 2600k OC'd to 4.4ghz
16 GB RAM
EVGA 980 Ti SC+

CHC

If only there were big movement to call them out on this shit. Oh wait, Iron Galaxy/WB is neither a woman or a tiny indie studio. Oh well, I guess they are fine then.

All they had was the PS4 version to go off of, and by all accounts it's great. What are they supposed to do, wait and play it on 3 platforms? In less than 24 hours there have been articles specifially about how shitty the PC version is published on most mainstream gaming sites, so negative feedback is pretty much at critical mass as is.

Also what do "women" and "tiny indie studies" have to do with anything here?

Delt31

...I'm running the game fairly smoothly on an i5-3750k, Nvidia 780 OC and 8GB RAM. (Without Gameworks extras) Don't know how, not gonna ask.

I set Max FPS to 120 in the .ini, set the "Mobile" motion-blur to 0.0 (Proper one causes game to crash on start-up) and left in-game V-Sync on. Normal textures, Medium shadows, High detail.

I'm keeping a consistent 60fps and I'll live without the extra bits until a patch arrives.

posts like this are killing me b/c I have the same setup and want that 60fps so might have to try. Cant buy on steam for refund b/c much cheaper elsewhere....

Gbraga

I'm prepared to try this unless someone flat out tells me don't bother. Download will take a good 5+ hours though so....

I didn't preload, downloaded after the game came out and played this morning, the streaming stutter is real.

The preload could be the culprit for stuff like the game just outright freezing and stuff like the RPS video, mine is not as bad as that, but it's still far from smooth.

AFAIK ssd's have no impact on game performance or im i wrong?

They're great for open world games, which tend to stutter as new locations are stream-loaded around the player, particularly if you move at high speeds (batmobile). SSDs load assets literally dozens of times faster than HDDs, significantly reducing stutter.

My SSD is exclusively for Elder Scrolls games =P All other games go on my HDD.

What is absolutely pathetic is the real metacritic score on the game. Fucking journalists.

If only there were big movement to call them out on this shit. Oh wait, Iron Galaxy/WB is neither a woman or a tiny indie studio. Oh well, I guess they are fine then.

So you're blaming reviewers who played a version of the game with absolutely no issues (PS4)?

Seriously? It boggles my mind on how people can make statements like this. It really does.

styl3s

Looks like my everything is fine on my end boat just hit an iceberg, exploded, sunk, exploded again. Went to load it up it crashed, rebooted it and it crashed. Kept giving me the laundry list of files error with like a "july build" or something? Verified the game which apparently was a mistake since it deleted the folder and is now re-installing which isn't a huge deal since i am lucky enough to have internet that can download 40gb in like 8 minutes.

Hopefully this re-download doesn't give me all the stutter problems. My mental status on this game is now annoyed i just want to play it. Tempted to just get it on PS4 since i already have $40 in my wallet.

To be honest, everyone is different.
Personally, I can feel fps drops as a slow down and a low consistent frame rate as "laggy" or "uneven/smooth" which in the end cause my head to hurt and/or fatigue. Don't ask me why.

However, in the end consistency 60 or above is better then anything else.
I completely agree that is 60 is better but to claim 30fps is unplayable as a fact is completely absurd.

But don't get me wrong i love 60fps, i make it a point to tinker to get 60fps from the get go on PC but i also have 0 problem playing 30fps games on consoles or even on PC if i have to. I don't like shitty ports or developers limited my options on PC i think that's horse shit.

komorebi

I didn't preload, downloaded after the game came out and played this morning, the streaming stutter is real.

The preload could be the culprit for stuff like the game just outright freezing and stuff like the RPS video, mine is not as bad as that, but it's still far from smooth.

Okay, this is what I was looking for so thanks. I'm still sitting on the preload from last night and I suspect that most of us (at least before this morning) are as well. Just trying to check things off the list at this point.

GrazGamer

With my 980 ti and the below specs I have no problems with the game. Turning on that Nvidia specific stuff causes issues and slowdowns however. I kept the paperworks off and can run it at locked 30, or 60 to 30 when unlocked which is terrible.

They definitely need to fix the game though, way too many reports of bad performance.

i7 2600k OC'd to 4.4ghz
16 GB RAM
EVGA 980 Ti SC+

I am running the ti too and I suggest unlocking the framerate to 60 in the ini file and setting the v-sync to half refresh in NVP. Way smoother than capping it in the ini file to 30fps.

Vitor711

http://steamcommunity.com/app/208650...1545178169665/

Verifing files, 4540 files failed. 33 gb of redownload.
I refuse to believe that Rocksteady who put out 2 quality Arkham games which are greatly polished, to have pulled off AC Unity launch with one of their biggest games yet. I went on to verify the game files and apparently preload screwed something up. Over 4000 files are missing or corrupted. I hope that once this is done, we'll get the game we deserve and need. With proper framerates and optimisation.

I'll update how it goes.

UPDATE : Okay guys so here's the update. After veryfing , the game started to have constant 30 fps , no drops. I am running on a MSI GTX 980 / i7 4790k / MSI Z97 S02 Edition motherboard and 16 gb of RAM. Everything maxed out and I unlocked the FPS limit in the ini. Game is running like butter now, looks georgeous enough. I still wish they added more options and fixed the AA.

I'm glad that it was the preload and not the game. The game is not demanding for me, running it at 60fps now with no drops on max. Just remember to unlock FPS.

That honestly sounds like a potential issue. It would be nice if a borked pre-load was the culprit as that would be easily solved. Here's hoping that's the case and that a quick patch fixes the other issues.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Why are you blaming journalists for a version they didnt play and issues they didnt experience? PS4 was what journalists played...

Sorry, I misread the overall metacritic. I was looking at the PS4 score. PC is still labeled "TBD". Let's hope it gets absolutely eviscerated when the PC reviews come in.

Paulee

played for 30 min game crashed and now I cant even start the game anymore

before I had ok performance from 30 to 60 fps without nvidea stuff on with
i5 2500k
I hope the patch comes fast

Joey Ravn

Banned
Can't play at all on my 680 x2 SLI and 4.2 GHz i5 2500K. 30 FPS is bad enough, but it dips to ~10 every so often, and that completely kills the game for me. Sure, it's not a 980 Ti, but this setup should give better performance than what I'm currently getting.

Welp, back to The Talos Principle until Iron Galaxy fixes this mess.

It's not even fun, Lang.

UrbanRats

Downloading 33GB takes me around 12 to 15 hours on steam.
And it has already started over once (i had left it over night at like 70% done, and when i woke up it was back at 500mb downloaded).
So if i have to redownload it AGAIN, i'll be pissed, even because it's hogging my general speed, and i can't do anything else related to internet, aside from browsing GAF and little else.

Ce-Lin

could it be that the pre-loaded files were an old build of the game ?? maybe a lot of files missing and causing the engine to stall ?? because as I posted last page I had similar experience, butter smooth performance after validating & downloading the game again.

komorebi

could it be that the pre-loaded files were an old build of the game ?? maybe a lot of files missing and causing the engine to stall ?? because as I posted last page I had similar experience, butter smooth performance after validating & downloading the game again.

Alright I'm going to try it. I have nothing else to do today but weep anyway. Will report back when my download is done.

How do you lock it at 30fps? Decided to play at 2880 x 1620 but my fps is sitting at 38. Might as well just lock and cap it 30.

Anyway to lock it at 30?

How do you lock it at 30fps? Decided to play at 2880 x 1620 but my fps is sitting at 38. Might as well just lock and cap it 30.

Anyway to lock it at 30?

RivaTuner is the program I use and it gives me the smoothest experience when locking to 30.

The framerate lock will be under RivaTunerStatisticsServer.

tuxfool

Banned
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I was surprised to see that they only have 160 employees. That's less than CDPR. People should cut them some slack and focus on the Greater Evil that is WB.

Cdpr developed all 3 platforms (to mixed success).They already had an open world engine that they could develop on. Also have you seen the size of the witcher 3?

Can't play at all on my 680 x2 SLI and 4.2 GHz i5 2500K. 30 FPS is bad enough, but it dips to ~10 every so often, and that completely kills the game for me. Sure, it's not a 980 Ti, but this setup should give better performance than what I'm currently getting.

Welp, back to The Talos Principle until Iron Galaxy fixes this mess.

It's not even fun, Lang.

I thought SLI was broken, i have same setup as you just with 1 680.

getting ~40-60fps on high (med textures, no gameworks), completely playable for me.

Smokey

Played for 1.5hr before I got my first crash. Most of the time the game doesn't use 99% of my GPU. Maxed out at 2560x1440 w/ Gameworks I was easily over 60fps as long as I wasn't driving around in the Batmobile. FPS bounced all over the place in that.

Game also doesn't look very good. Lots of shimmering and shitty CA everywhere.

I have SLI disabled so I running on one Titan X.

Top Bottom