• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight Aiming for identical Res/Framerate Across Xbox One and PS4

this was known since march, when they revealed the game. This is a simple comment where they just want you to have a great game on all platforms. But since people blew up because AC unity, now this innocent comment translates in buying the game used.

They don't have the framerate and resolution locked down yet too, so while we don't have any information about that, even if these two factor aren't all that define "parity", we should wait a little more before having a meltdown haha

Oh and rocksteady is extremely talented, so i think that we are going to have a pretty fantastic game and we will be satisfied with it independent of the platform

shandy706

But how do you know they aren't aiming for parity across every single graphical feature? I get what you're saying about locking both to 30fps, despite the PS4 being able to run above 30fps...but for all we know they're going into this with complete graphical parity in mind. Meaning everything from res, to AA, AF, AO, shadow res, particle effects etc etc.

And?

That's perfectly alright. The X1 may struggle to hold the 30fps (I'd drop it to 900p in that case) while the PS4 holds it without a hitch.

Which is ridiculous as they indirectly say they do not use the most popular platform to it's full potential. With previous generations, when buying the PS2 or PS3 (and 1 pretty often too) you could be sure to not have the best versions in most cases. It is odd why this suddenly changed for a lot of developers at the same time.

Edit: I missed the Skyrim stuff back then (but was that not more a problem for long term playing? It was a mess when your file became big. Don't the versions look and play alike initially?).

I believe the game was playable on 360, and a complete broken mess on PS3 for quite a while and probably still is? Only played the PC version, can't say much about the other two.

Appease to PS4 owners by basically saying their version is gimped?

Maybe they thought this line was better than "we're using the maximum potential of each machine" or some PR crap like that, both are trying to say the same thing: "you'll have a great time with the game on your favorite platform".

PCs aren't set hardware. You can include all assets and options because it is up to the user to define the performance they want.

Also, your post is incorrect by assuming they are "not utilizing power differences". One could use the extra headroom for a more solid performance or (non dynamic Vsync). The power difference allows for more solid performance. QUIT ignoring that.

I can play Saints Row IV at 180fps with my 780GTX if I want...however...it jumps all over the place. I've locked it at 60fps, and the "headroom" allows a silky smooth gameplay experience.

Someone with a GTX 770 can get a similar performance and framerate. The experience is the same, but I never have to worry about the drops you see on the other hardware. It's ok to have headroom..in fact...I prefer it.

It's pretty obvious that I'm talking in general. Really obvious.
If you are running at 180 FPS a GTX 770 is running at 150 and both of you lock it at 60 FPS you are getting an identical image quality. They will never have to worry about dips in performance either. The goal is a minimum framerate of 60FPS in your example, you clearly have more room to achieve that while improving IQ

In your previous example you listed saying if PS4 ran at 40-50 and Xbox one ran at 30-40, in this example the PS4 still has more room to improve IQ without impacting the framerate since it is capped at 30.

And yes I expect them to do this. This is not PC where I can toy with the IQ to my hearts content. This is a console where the specs are locked, I depend on the developer to get as much as possible out of the hardware, and if they want my money then they will do that.

I still don't understand how publishers could give a damn about rendering resolution. Fear of being on MS's bad side ? But there is no reason for that as the hardware of the XBO is now well documented. Microsoft know their console is weaker so no reason to blame technically proficient developers to widen the gap between the XBO and PS4.
\

People like to claim that one game company (usually MS) is paying off publishers for parity. I've never bought into this idea personally, and in this case it seems absurd considering Sony's marketing deal with WB (play as the joker, exclusive skins, we're even getting injustice ps4 as ps+ game in Dec), their working relationship with DCUO, and no Injustice on xbox one but on PS4.

FHIZ

Aim for 1080p... and if some aren't up to the task while others are, then oh well, sucks for those who aren't.

That's what Batman would want.

Even if the resolution is the same, game will probably look or perform slightly better pn PS4. They just can't openly say it. Or they are as incompetent as Ubisoft, but i honestly doubt that.
Yes, they can just openly say it, other devs have said it. The Xbox one having weaker hardware isn't some sort of taboo.

The point is they don't even have to say it. Just stop comparing the platforms altogether, "we did the best we could for every version", problem solved.

gogogow

Man, do some people really want developer statements to look like:

"The version of our game for Playstation 4 Computer Entertainment System, The Easiest To Program, Friendliest To Developers Supercharged Supercomputer, Designed By Our Messiah, Hero Of Our Times Mark Cerny From Based Sony (r), will be clearly the best, don't even bother buying it on that weaksauce CRAPbox One. Also, fuck Micro$$oft!" ?

Even if the resolution is the same, game will probably look or perform slightly better pn PS4. They just can't openly say it. Or they are as incompetent as Ubisoft, but i honestly doubt that.

Huh?
No one is shitting on the XBO. It's a fact the PS4 is quite a bit more powerful than the XBO, not just slightly.

sOqY6Y8.gif

At least be glad both platforms are getting the game. Getting riled up because there's a chance you might not be getting whatever premium experience you feel entitled to, is frankly a bit like getting riled up over the fact that your hotel only serves five brands of caviar.

Signed,
Wii U owner

Ugh, I hate this argument. It's nothing to do with wanting other people to have a worse experience than me, it's entirely about wanting devs to take full advantage of their tools...tools that I paid a lot of money for. These consoles aren't the same, so why treat them as such?

"Signed,
Wii U owner"

Figures...

emrober5

I'm not too worried about it. Of course they are "aiming" for parity, but when the xbone can't run it at 1080p with a stable framerate I really doubt they will hold the ps4 version back.

The game is still far off. It's my most anticipated title, so here's hoping for the best.

Yes, they can just openly say it, other devs have said it. The Xbox one having weaker hardware isn't some sort of taboo.

The point is they don't even have to say it. Just stop comparing the platforms altogether, "we did the best we could for every version", problem solved.

I remember when someone from Bungie hopped on GAF and told us pretty much the same thing about Destiny. In the end, it was bullshit.

shandy706

And yes I expect them to do this. This is not PC where I can toy with the IQ to my hearts content. This is a console where the specs are locked, I depend on the developer to get as much as possible out of the hardware, and if they want my money then they will do that.

So what if they put their all into the PS4 build and got it at a silky smooth 30fps locked....but absolutely struggled to get the X1 at 1080p/25-30fps?

They delivered on the PS4, just managed to get close in parity on the X1..and people still don't want to give them money in that scenerio..

That really sucks for them.

I can see the scenario where they may have done their best and could likely give one piece of hardware a much smoother experience, yet people still fuss because they see a similar resolution or framerate. Parity in settings doesn't mean absolute parity in performance...developers need to abandon the word. Unless it's obvious that they borked a game, I don't get the outcry.

BigDug13

Who's supposed to be happy about announcements like this?

XBO owner: Yay, they're holding back the competition's version.

PS4 owner: Yay, my hardware is not getting utilized.

PC owner: Yay, I may have to download user-created fixes to improve my game's graphics. (Not really apparently)

At least be glad both platforms are getting the game. Getting riled up because there's a chance you might not be getting whatever premium experience you feel entitled to, is frankly a bit like getting riled up over the fact that your hotel only serves five brands of caviar.

Signed,
Wii U owner

You had me at the word "entitlement". What words of wisdom. How dare consumers expect their console to play games the best it can instead of purposefully limiting its capabilities to make a different console look better!

I can't believe I didn't see it before.

#entitlement #artisticintegrity

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
GTFO

Boycott if true (boycott meaning buying used copy or lend it from a friend).

Boycotting because of this is stupid. They really should try to utilize each system to the fullest, but boycotts because the PS4 doesn't have a bit higher resolution, framerate, or better effects?

To each their own I guess.

970's you have been called upon to get me through this generation of parity. So glad I built a PC. Wow this sucks.

I would usually speak with my wallet and not buy this but this seems to be a trend so I'm not going to worry about this anymore.

McHuj

You had me at the word "entitlement". What words of wisdom. How dare consumers expect their $400 gaming console to play games the best it can instead of purposefully limiting its capabilities to make a different $500 multimedia machine look better!

I can't believe I didn't see it before.

#entitlement #artisticintegrity

What $500 multimedia machine?

gogogow

Yeah I'm not buying until they confirm 1080p on PS4 and DF can demonstrate significant graphical advantages.

Has there been a multiplatform game made with parity in mind in which the PS4 version has superior graphical effects? Like shadows, textures, lighting etc.?

So what if they put their all into the PS4 build and got it at a silky smooth 30fps locked....but absolutely struggled to get the X1 at 1080p/25-30fps?

They delivered on the PS4, just managed to get close in parity on the X1..and people still don't want to give them money in that scenerio..

That really sucks for them.
then give up on 1080p on the xbox version or lower some IQ items?

And?

That's perfectly alright. The X1 may struggle to hold the 30fps (I'd drop it to 900p in that case) while the PS4 holds it without a hitch.

You're saying purposely gimping one version to match the lowest denominator is "alright"? Wow.

These machines aren't the same. People make their choices in which one to buy/which version to buy (if they own both). Devs should be catering to each console's strengths to the best of their ability.

It has probably been mentioned before but:
We're aiming for parity across all platforms. Whatever it is, it's going to be awesome."

Is just PR non-sense. The game will look or run better on PS4, nothing they can do about that.

Similarly, the game will scale higher and run better on PC. Same difference.

"Parity" only exists on a nominal level. The hardware will not purposefully run the game worse. In the worst case it just has a 30fps cap.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Usually I'm against parity but Rocksteady have a history of really good console games. It'll be 1080p with a stable framerate on both consoles. However, if they skimp on the effects for the PS4 version I'll be sad.

and everyone else who bought a PS4 and knows it is more powerfull, i dont get how anyone can expect a game to have the same resolution/Performance/IQ on the Xbox and on the PS4 if they know about the difference in hardware.

That's the fault of the person who bought the PS4 thinking they'd always get a superior experience. That's just not true and it was obvious from the beginning of the gen.

What principle?

Your post makes no logical sense. The PS4 is a better performer, it will meet their performance target more easily.

Just managing to get the X1 to a similar framerate and res does not negate the performance advantage of the PS4. Does it hurt your feelings because something looks similar? (even if it's not in reality)

It's childish to expect extra special treatment on a cross-platform game if the developer hits their targeted development plans.

There would have to be extended testing done (costing them more money) to expand into some possible headroom. Would you rather have a 25-30fps game with 4xMSAA or a locked 30fps where headroom is left to avoid possible drops in a thousand untested scenarios?

So tired of the "goals" narrative. Pure parity apologist.

Oni Jazar

Man, do some people really want developer statements to look like:

"The version of our game for Playstation 4 Computer Entertainment System, The Easiest To Program, Friendliest To Developers Supercharged Supercomputer, Designed By Our Messiah, Hero Of Our Times Mark Cerny From Based Sony (r), will be clearly the best, don't even bother buying it on that weaksauce CRAPbox One. Also, fuck Micro$$oft!" ?

"We will develop each platform to the best of their ability."

Is that so hard?

Cornbread78

Who's supposed to be happy about announcements like this?

XBO owner: Yay, they're holding back the competition's version.

PS4 owner: Yay, my hardware is not getting utilized.

PC owner: Yay, I may have to download user-created fixes to improve my game's graphics. (Not really apparently)

LOL, you win buddy, you win

As an experiment, what is the primary console of use?

I highly doubt this would be going on if Microsoft was the one who ended up having the more powerful system but this wide a margin.

Such bullshit.

Skilletor

Couldn't this mean they're trying to get the XB1 version up to the PS4 version?

As in, "We'd like to reach 1080p on both consoles if we can."

Not, "We're going to shoot for 900p and call it good."

I'll be playing on PC regardless.

Mr Moose

Yet another game to add to my ignore list (along with The Crew and Assassin's Creed Unity), thanks Rocksteady Studios for saving me money.

crimnos

If it's 1080p30, whatever. If it's 900p30, smh.

Pretty much this. So long as they're hitting 1080p for both systems, I don't care. I have a PS4, but I don't actively wish for the Xbox folks to get artificially handcuffed any more than it should be happening on PS4. It's the artificial limitations that knock these down to "buy used, if at all".

Really disappointing. Like a lot of folks, re-evaluating whether I should upgrade my PC. Thought I could wait a few years, but apparently not.

This is stupid. Why they can't use each platform properly and provide best they can get out of it? Seems like they are spending more time on XB1 optimization and doing less work on PS4 by brute forcing its hardware advantage without proper optimizations to get more out of it (We know PS4 GPU compute is really powerful when used can provide great advantages but instead they are using XB1 hardware as base).

shandy706

You're saying purposely gimping one version to match the lowest denominator is "alright"? Wow.

These machines aren't the same. People make their choices in which one to buy/which version to buy (if they own both). Devs should be catering to each console's strengths to the best of their ability.

That's the exact opposite of what I said. facepalm.gif

LOL...right.

then give up on 1080p on the xbox version or lower some IQ items?

Uh...that's what I said.

What $500 multimedia machine?

I just meant to say that the PS4 is better equipped to run games than the Xbone. I didn't think it was that controversial to state that the PS4 is mainly a gaming console while the Xbone is mainly a multimedia console. At least that's how I'm seeing the two being advertised.

Didn't mean to belittle anyone's console so apologies if it came across that way.

Zombine

Banned
LSaN2uw.png

You know it be true

I'm not completely sold on this idea for anything other than Assassins Creed Unity. Holding back the PS4 version for Microsoft cash when they have a marketing deal with Sony seems like it would be a major conflict of interests and a potential breach of contract.

Top Bottom