• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight Aiming for identical Res/Framerate Across Xbox One and PS4

Sohaim

GameWorks-Games-Batman-Arkham-Knight_575px.jpg

PC isn't affected, thankfully.

wow thanks for that, i was going crazy here when i saw the part "Across all plataforms", anyway, parity needs to die quick and a horrible death.

Frillen

Well he's talking about resolution, so if both are 1080p, it shouldn't be a problem, unless Sony fans want 4k, which you won't get. GAF overreacting on this subject as always. People not buying a game because it's not 100 % opitimilized, "just" 99 %. Lol! I didn't think GAF was a place of graphic whores. Guess I was wrong. I'm going to get Assassin's Creed Unity and this day 1 on the PS4 and I'm going to enjoy the hell out of both.

jtar86

At the end of the day it can be the exact same on both platforms or 1080p on ps4 and 900p on xbone and 95% of people who buy it won't know the difference or care.

Phreaker

You guys are acting like it would be bad if they're both 1080p. Which I'd all they're talking about here. Do you want the PS4 version to be 4k or something?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Isn't Destiny the same res and frame rate across consoles as well as Assassin's Creed Unity?

This sucks but it wasn't hard to see coming. It boils down to which option is more damaging to your game... being seen as not using one console to its fullest or having the other version seen as an inferior product?

I wonder what the sales breakdown has been for games where the PS4 version was clearly superior.

shandy706

It's not about the practical difference, it's about the principle.

What principle?

Your post makes no logical sense. The PS4 is a better performer, it will meet their performance target more easily.

Just managing to get the X1 to a similar framerate and res does not negate the performance advantage of the PS4. Does it hurt your feelings because something looks similar? (even if it's not in reality)

It's childish to expect extra special treatment on a cross-platform game if the developer hits their targeted development plans.

There would have to be extended testing done (costing them more money) to expand into some possible headroom. Would you rather have a 25-30fps game with 4xMSAA or a locked 30fps where headroom is left to avoid possible drops in a thousand untested scenarios?

Kezen

Banned
wow thanks for that, i was going crazy here when i saw the part "Across all plataforms", anyway, parity needs to die quick and a horrible death.
People need to calm down with the "parity" controversies. PR people are unlikely to admit one version is graphically more advanced than another. There will surely be some disparities between the PS4 and Xbox One versions of AC Unity, even though they'll run at same fps and resolution.

Sohaim

Well that certainly makes no sense. I own both. I expect multiplats to look better on PS4.

and everyone else who bought a PS4 and knows it is more powerfull, i dont get how anyone can expect a game to have the same resolution/Performance/IQ on the Xbox and on the PS4 if they know about the difference in hardware.

Well he's talking about resolution, so if both are 1080p, it shouldn't be a problem, unless Sony fans want 4k, which you won't get.

If they're both 1080p then I'd expect some extra graphical effects on the PS4 version. There's a lot more to graphics than just resolution, I have no idea why people keep bringing up 4K when nobody even asked for it or expected it. Some better AA could make use of the extra power.

Smokey

Nobody got time for that.

Will be playing this on PC where it will no doubt be cheaper due to all of the bundle codes that will inevitably come.

GameWorks-Games-Batman-Arkham-Knight_575px.jpg

PC isn't affected, thankfully.

This is definitely true.

Difference between PC and PS4 videos are noticeable, mostly AA.

I wouldn't jump the gun yet. Mordor is under the same publisher and just came out and it had a resolution difference. This to me, sounds like a sidestep answer with terms like "aim to" and "won't really know"

Sohaim

People need to calm down with the "parity" controversies. PR people are unlikely to admit one version is graphically more advanced than another. There will surely be some disparities between the PS4 and Xbox One versions of AC Unity, even though they'll run at same fps and resolution.
i think the problem is "IF" they are the same, because if there is no difference in IQ no one will be able to deny what "Parity" means for the PS4/PC.

What principle?

Your post makes no logical sense. The PS4 is a better performer, it will meet their performance target more easily.

It's childish to expect extra special treatment on a cross-platform game if the developer hits their targeted development plans.

Their would have to be extended testing done (costing them more money) to expand into some possible headroom. Would you rather have a 25-30fps game with 4xMSAA or a locked 30fps where headroom is left to avoid possible drops in a thousand untested scenarios?
It makes no logical sense that a company is not utilizing both consoles despite power differences? By this terrible logic, you may as well have parity on PC as well, since why spend extra time and money.

cackhyena

and everyone else who bought a PS4 and knows it is more powerfull, i dont get how anyone can expect a game to have the same resolution/Performance/IQ on the Xbox and on the PS4 if they know about the difference in hardware.

The people that know about that kind of stuff are a fraction of the fan base. Anyone threatening to not buy here or anywhere on the internet means nothing to overall sales. Unfortunate, but oh well.

Asbear

Banned
PC dudes always suffer from parity because they get assets and model-quality created to work well in the console versions, but then get to maximize the graphics by upping the resolution and adding DX11 effects etc.

Developers never maximize potential in their pc ports
528075c81605fb66560000a4.gif

All humoring aside, I hope they do maximize the potential of each platform by at least giving us the highest possible resolution on each version. I won't accept lazy optimization and neither should anyone.

Well he's talking about resolution, so if both are 1080p, it shouldn't be a problem, unless Sony fans want 4k, which you won't get.

Well, as long as the parity doesn't apply to other graphical areas of the game too. Aiming for a set resolution is fine, but if they were to bring one version's settings down from 'high' because the other version could only manage 1080p with 'mid' settings, for example, would be fucked up.

I'm using 'mid' and 'high' purely as examples there, I'm not saying that there's that much difference between the two consoles.

What principle?

Just managing to get the X1 to a similar framerate and res does not negate the performance advantage of the PS4. Does it hurt your feelings because something looks similar? (even if it's not in reality)

There would have to be extended testing done (costing them more money) to expand into some possible headroom. Would you rather have a 25-30fps game with 4xMSAA or a locked 30fps where headroom is left to avoid possible drops in a thousand untested scenarios?

This, thank you.

Chobel

What principle?

Their would have to be extended testing done (costing them more money) to expand into some possible headroom. Would you rather have a 25-30fps game with 4xMSAA or a locked 30fps where headroom is left to avoid possible drops in a thousand untested scenarios?

Where did you get they're using MSAA? Also there's other stuff to improve beside the AA: AO, shadow quality... and they don't impact framerate that much.

I really don't care about graphics, the most important thing is that Batman: Arkham Knight will be an awesome game which makes fun to play :)

Edit: And the game looks already good enough in my opinion ;)

It's OK if it means 1080p30 for both. If it means 900p30 then it's a no. I'll wait for a steam sale and the moment I'm decided to buy a new graphic card.

badams

Man, do some people really want developer statements to look like:

"The version of our game for Playstation 4 Computer Entertainment System, The Easiest To Program, Friendliest To Developers Supercharged Supercomputer, Designed By Our Messiah, Hero Of Our Times Mark Cerny From Based Sony (r), will be clearly the best, don't even bother buying it on that weaksauce CRAPbox One. Also, fuck Micro$$oft!" ?

Even if the resolution is the same, game will probably look or perform slightly better pn PS4. They just can't openly say it. Or they are as incompetent as Ubisoft, but i honestly doubt that.

Raven77

Between this and AC Unity, it's almost like Nvidia, if anyone, is paying them off (I know this isn't true, obviously). I am seriously considering updating my rig and buying many more PC games than I anticipated I would be.

It will likely still be "held back" by consoles, but at least it will have some extra graphics options and features.

shandy706

It makes no logical sense that a company is not utilizing both consoles despite power differences? By this terrible logic, you may as well have parity on PC as well, since why spend extra time and money.

PCs aren't set hardware. You can include all assets and options because it is up to the user to define the performance they want.

Also, your post is incorrect by assuming they are "not utilizing power differences". One could use the extra headroom for a more solid performance or (non dynamic Vsync). The power difference allows for more solid performance. QUIT ignoring that.

I can play Saints Row IV at 180fps with my 780GTX if I want...however...it jumps all over the place. I've locked it at 60fps, and the "headroom" allows a silky smooth gameplay experience.

Someone with a GTX 770 can get a similar performance and framerate. The experience is the same, but I never have to worry about the drops you see on the other hardware. It's ok to have headroom..in fact...I prefer it.

Where did you get they're using MSAA? Also there's other stuff to improve beside the AA: AO, shadow quality... and they don't impact framerate that much.

It's pretty obvious that I'm talking in general. Really obvious.

The fact that people seem to be incapable of, or unwilling to, understand the benefits of better hardware towards better framerate/stability blows my mind.

Wasn't the e3 demo played on PC? If so then the graphics looked amazing for PC. I expected the consoles to not look as good but now this parity thing means that the ps4 has to be downgraded to even lower settings due to another inferior console. Sigh.....

Kezen

Banned
This is definitely true.
Difference between PC and PS4 videos are noticeable, mostly AA.
And Nvidia bells and whistles aren't implemented in the video. I'm holding out hope for HBAO+ as well. It looks superb in Batman Arkham Origins.

I wouldn't jump the gun yet. Mordor is under the same publisher and just came out and it had a resolution difference. This to me, sounds like a sidestep answer with terms like "aim to" and "won't really know"
I still don't understand how publishers could give a damn about rendering resolution. Fear of being on MS's bad side ? But there is no reason for that as the hardware of the XBO is now well documented. Microsoft know their console is weaker so no reason to blame technically proficient developers to widen the gap between the XBO and PS4.

...What? Where'd you get that from? I mean, Rocksteady's always partnered with Nvidia for the Batman games on PC, but if they didn't, AMD would kill to be on board for that.
I'm not convinced AMD have anything as interesting to offer tech wise compared to Nvidia's wealth of Gameworks features. So I'm glad Nvidia is once again on board to make Batman AK on PC the definitive edition.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's OK if it means 1080p30 for both. If it means 900p30 then it's a no. I'll wait for a steam sale and the moment I'm decided to buy a new graphic card.

Well..

the game is using Unreal Engine 3 after all, not 4. At this point I'm sure they'll be able to comfortable get UE3 running on 1080p on the Xbone too.

ps3ud0

Poor PR from Rocksteady - whatever their version of 'parity' is its just meant Im cancelling my pre-order and wont be getting this day one like I have with the other Arkham installments (actually I missed Origins due to impending PS4 saving!). Unlike Unity Ill probably just pick it up cheap or used/rent now...

I see little reason to support such devs/pubs - why reward a lack of effort with top dollar. Ill vote with my wallet as usual - even if the effect is near pointless...

ps3ud0 8)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I wouldn't get worried. If aiming for parity is like aiming for 1080p 60fps then it has a good chance to never happen beyond PR.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
This sounds like "We're aiming for the same framerate and resolution" and isn't really taking into consideration the actual graphical affects on top.

What principle?

But how do you know they aren't aiming for parity across every single graphical feature? I get what you're saying about locking both to 30fps, despite the PS4 being able to run above 30fps...but for all we know they're going into this with complete graphical parity in mind. Meaning everything from res, to AA, AF, AO, shadow res, particle effects etc etc.

sOqY6Y8.gif

At least be glad both platforms are getting the game. Getting riled up because there's a chance you might not be getting whatever premium experience you feel entitled to, is frankly a bit like getting riled up over the fact that your hotel only serves five brands of caviar.

Signed,
Wii U owner

Whoa, fuck. Why is parity even a thing now? At least they are being honest, for better or worse.

Jesus, no gives a fuck except PS4 fanbois who can only afford one console or PC elitists. 99% of the world doesn't care and couldn't tell the difference unless they were running next to each other on the exact same screens. Even then, the general gaming population is simply not visually savvy enough to see the difference.

#firstworldfuckingproblems

THIS.

Now tell us how you really feel.

Amused

Because that's their definition of parity. This only blew up because of the Unity thing.

So they are just bad at PR, is that it, not knowing how the words they are using will be taken by the people the PR is targeted at?

Because, the whole Unity thing did happen, why put yourself in a position where you will be forced to clarify your statement? If what you say is true this could possibly force them to come out and say there will be a difference In just so many words. Instead of just going with the very non-controversial "we will make the game the best it can be on all plattforms".

Man, do some people really want developer statements to look like:

"The version of our game for Playstation 4 Computer Entertainment System, The Easiest To Program, Friendliest To Developers Supercharged Supercomputer, Designed By Our Messiah, Hero Of Our Times Mark Cerny From Based Sony (r), will be clearly the best, don't even bother buying it on that weaksauce CRAPbox One. Also, fuck Micro$$oft!" ?

Even if the resolution is the same, game will probably look or perform slightly better pn PS4. They just can't openly say it. Or they are as incompetent as Ubisoft, but i honestly doubt that.

How about just not "parity"?

Top Bottom