• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight On PC Is Not Very Good [UP: WB suspends future sales until fix]

Who is responsible for this mess of a port?

Results are only viewable after voting.

KingErich

Banned
1) it doesn't work that way
2) there is no setting for console like graphics
You can try emulate it, but it wont be the same.

"The Recommended Spec is intended to deliver an experience on par with the current generation of gaming platforms."

Recommended Hardware Specs:

OS: Win 7 SP1, Win 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required)
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 - 3 GB Memory Recommended
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 55 GB available space

I understand that a PC isn't 1:1 with a PS4/Xbone. But you can equip a PC with hardware to closely match the performance one should get from a next gen hardware. It comes down to how well the dev can optimize there games. Witcher 3 is a good example. I can match the performance (FPS, visual quality) on my Alienware Alpha with that of a PS4 running the game.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
"The Recommended Spec is intended to deliver an experience on par with the current generation of gaming platforms."

Recommended Hardware Specs:

OS: Win 7 SP1, Win 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required)
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 - 3 GB Memory Recommended
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 55 GB available space

I understand that a PC isn't 1:1 with a PS4/Xbone. But you can equip a PC with hardware to closely match the performance one should get from a next gen hardware. It comes down to how well the dev can optimize there games. Witcher 3 is a good example. I can match the performance (FPS, visual quality) on my Alienware Alpha with that of a PS4 running the game.

I can guarantee you can't with this game. How would you get Ambient Occlusion (AO) enabled on your PC? How would you get rain textures enabled on your PC?
There is no doubt this is a terrible port. Anybody arguing against that is delusional.

But developers are paid to make and finish making a game with a given amount of time. These things are contracted. It is not like they would just cut the development time short and hurry them up for release.

Yes, that's exactly what they will do. I've been on the other side, I know what goes on. The pub says Oh it's not done? SHIP IT ANYWAY.

b0bbyJ03

Is there a customer service email that we could use to email WB games? I'd like to ask if they can revoke my license for the PC version and give me a PS4 key. probably won't work but its worth a try

Salsa

Images shamelessly stolen from a comment on the Eurogamer thread:

So, you guys want to see something funny? The PC version isn't just missing effects like AO - certain textures and models are entirely absent:

PC:
UBmA8LS.jpg

PS4:
9GMeSLB.jpg

PC:
cm4r0qJ.jpg

PS4:
olpRlpx.jpg

dude

Xtyle

Yes, that's exactly what they will do. I've been on the other side, I know what goes on. The pub says Oh it's not done? SHIP IT ANYWAY.

Right, but you forget they are usually contracted to deliver with milestones and completion date...so the developer definitely shares a big amount of blame. You take the job and you do the job, simple.

Stainless

Probably asked a bunch of times, but why didn't Rocksteady make the PC version? I thought it was common practice for brand new games like this to be made on all platforms by the main dev.

This kind of baffles me because I'd think typically something being ported to a different platform would take place after it's been released for a while, but to have a different dev port your game for release alongside yours. If it was me, in any type of work, really, I'd want to make sure whoever's work goes alongside mine would not tarnish my name or reputation much less destroy expectations from fans for a game this big with such a well known franchise.

How would they develop this or how would the process work? Rocksteady basically makes the game and what, Iron Galaxy just plays follow the leader?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
this whole saga has had problems

first was games for windows live second had major direct x 11 issues at launch. and the one before this was so forgetable i forgot its name.

GMG made a post on their blog this morning. Initially they weren't going to allow refunds but I think the pressure from Steam allowing them is making GMG cave in.

http://blog.playfire.com/2015/06/batman-arkham-knight-pc-guidelines.html

Seems we have to wait until after the patch though to request a refund.
Good. I'm definitely taking them up on the refund offer if the patch doesn't alleviate the issues.

If they hadn't come out and said this, myself and many others probably wouldn't have ordered another game from them given steams refund policy now.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Not sure if this was posted, but according to DSOgaming, the game reverts to DX10 the moment you switch any Gameworks effects on.

Not sure what difference that will make, but it appears to be happening.

Vitor711

Coming in again to reiterate that the comparison above actually shows story-based differences, not tech stuff. The guy who did the comparison originally on Eurogamer failed to notice that the story would impact environments when he did the comparison.

The above screenshots actually don't mean anything, my bad.

Salsa

Coming in again to reiterate that the comparison above actually shows story-based differences, not tech stuff. The guy who did the comparison originally on Eurogamer failed to notice that the story would impact environments when he did the comparison.

The above screenshots actually don't mean anything, my bad.

that makes sense and I actually thought that MUST be happening

Elsolar

Not sure if this was posted, but according to DSOgaming, the game reverts to DX10 the moment you switch any Gameworks effects on.

Not sure what difference that will make, but it appears to be happening.

That would require an application restart if it were happening, which seems unlikely since d3d11 is just an extension of the d3d10.1 library

I got the PC version for free with that GTX 970 deal, and I still feel bad about supporting this crap. I almost don't want to buy the PS4 version but I like these games too much to skip it.

I got the PC version for free with that GTX 970 deal, and I still feel bad about supporting this crap. I almost don't want to buy the PS4 version but I like these games too much to skip it.
I did the same thing, couldn't run the game on a 970 and just got it on psn. l am part of the problem.

Sullichin

I don't think I'll do the same because the game is at lest playable for me on a 970, but was really looking forward it to being a showcase for my new card like Witcher 3 is. It's a shame because there's a great game under this mess.

I just think this is a really poor port job. I should be able to at least match the console on a 670 and i7.

I'll probably pick it up on ps4 whennit goes on sale. I got the PC version for free but I'm just going to uninstall it and go back to the witcher which looks much better than the ps4 version.

Shame about this. Everyone should request a refund if possible.

Chindogg

Right, but you forget they are usually contracted to deliver with milestones and completion date...so the developer definitely shares a big amount of blame. You take the job and you do the job, simple.

That's not always how it works. If you're given problematic code that needs to be reoptimized for another platform you're going to have time issues. Add the fact that the publisher places weird demands (DRM for example) and your time and milestones muddle even further. Who knows when they were even given the code to work it in the first place.

If you can't finish a quality project after those issues? Pub will just say ship it. You can't blame a dev for trying to make the best of poor Pub decisions.

derExperte

I wanted to wait a week before doing a refund but it's only getting worse, even if they fix it the game will be much cheaper by then anyway. More time to finally finish Origins I guess.

Sorry "some" but there are a lot with similar view and vendetta this gen which gets everyone tarnished with the same brush, its weird.

Not everyone can be as unbiased and agenda-free like yourself.
Btw, why are you in this thread again?

Dartastic

I'm in the same boat. Has ANYONE had anything happen re: codes and refunds? Has anyone TRIED?

Cincaid

There's no way a patch can fix this.

Hey, maybe they pushed the wrong build branch to Steam!

But yeah, I honestly don't see how a patch will fix all the issues, at least within a short time frame. And I doubt WB will push any funding to hasten and/or smoothing things up. I keep staring at Twitter, waiting for news on a patch to pop up even if I have zero faith in the end result. :(

Kinthalis

Banned
Hey, maybe they pushed the wrong build branch to Steam!

But yeah, I honestly don't see how a patch will fix all the issues, at least within a short time frame. And I doubt WB will push any funding to hasten and/or smoothing things up. I keep staring at Twitter, waiting for news on a patch to pop up even if I have zero faith in the end result. :(

You'll have to explain this to me. As a software developer, I can put out a patch that does anything I want it to do with my code.

Now, time frame wise - yes. I'm already thinking anything delivered within the next few days Isn't going to cure everything. I think it'll be a couple of weeks until we see the game perform well. I would hope they also improve the shaders and AO as well, but who knows.

Cincaid

You'll have to explain this to me. As a software developer, I can put out a patch that does anything I want it to do with my code.

Now, time frame wise - yes. I'm already thinking anything delivered within the next few days Isn't going to cure everything. I think it'll be a couple of weeks until we see the game perform well. I would hope they also improve the shaders and AO as well, but who knows.

I'm also a developer mate (system developer, to be exact), maybe I just used the wrong wording (not a native english speaker). :)

But yes, I agree with you. A patch can, hypothetically, fix everything wrong with the game. But I just don't see the interest from WB to fix this, at least within a reasonable time frame. But yep, of course I hope to be proven wrong on this.

Top Bottom