• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight On PC Is Not Very Good [UP: WB suspends future sales until fix]

Who is responsible for this mess of a port?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kinthalis

Banned
Missing AO and some textures with a little stuttering during Batmobile sequences does not = "running like dogshit" to me. *shrug*

(in the case of Arkham Knight)

Yeah, people are starting to exaggerate these issues.

Not to downplay them, either. They are unacceptable, but the PS4 has had worse releases, and yet it has survived.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I see Sony bad figer all around this... PC Gaming is a treat! ELIMINATE!!! ELIMINATE!!!
I've heard it all now, what is it with this gen that has PC gamers being so defensive and making comments like this.

Mrbob

Yea it's important that people aren't shitting on Iron Galaxy for this. They did what they could with the resources provided. Warner Brothers are the ones who shipped it like this.

I won't put all the blame on IG, but we can't absolve them of all blame. They've done a good job patching the vita port of Borderlands 2. However, between B2 Vita and Batman it shows a history of not being able to deliver a coherent experience at launch. Can't put that all on WBs shoulders.

roytheone

The game doesn't "run like dog shit".

It does for me, I get a ridiculous amount of stuttering, not only when driving the batmobile but also when gliding/fighting/standing still and rotating the camera. Game is literally unplayable thanks to the stuttering, and judging from this thread I am far from the only one. Sure, it is probably a memory leak of some kind, and it is probably possible to fix it, but as it stands, right now, I get unplayable levels of performance in a product I paid money for. That is inexcusable.

It is common, don't come into this thread when you're clearly ignorant and uninformed of the issues. You're on the verge of trolling when you imply that PC gamers would throw such an uproar because we're insecure about how the game looks better on consoles.

This is the same guy who complained about GTA V looking too "gamey" at 60fps.

Makes it look kind of fake and too gamey. Look at the city pan in the beginning- it looks way too static, gamey, and fake. This is the cost of 60fps and why I'm not a fan save for multiplayer games. Everything else looks awesome and a decent step above the PS4 version, especially IQ.

Teleporter

You like posting pictures that misrepresent the market in order to start flamewars? Wow. You should probably get out.

calm down user i dnt want to start anything! I just think that pc is a great market, even the future market and it needs more attention and respect overall, specially in bat times like these... low your guns...

Whats the performance like on a gtx680? Accordibg to some reviewers it averages 45fps on max at 1080p, is that true? Id rather get the pc version for 15 bucks than ps4 for 60. My budget is tight

Not great. It'll run but with both a 770 and 780 you'll get frequent frame rate drops. I played all night with a 770(wife has a 780 in her PC) two days ago and got frequent dips into the teens. Even just gliding around you'll see constant drops in performance. Even at only 1080p30 with Shameworks off.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
I've heard it all now, what is it with this gen that has PC gamers being so defensive and making comments like this.

Comes from both system owners, don't generalize it. Also next time ignore these kind of shitposts.

Xtyle

To people who want the head of Rocksteady OR Iron Galaxy... WB is the publisher. They handle release dates, etc.

They force the developer's hands of when the game has to launch.

But developers are paid to make and finish making a game with a given amount of time. These things are contracted. It is not like they would just cut the development time short and hurry them up for release.

I'm gonna give Rocksteady the benefit of the doubt and guess that they are as fucking amazed at the state of the port as we are. Iron Galaxy is likely entirely at fault here. They may just delay dlc and take over the port themselves.

KingErich

Banned
Wait a minute, their recommended specs for running console like graphics/experience is about 2 times more power than the PS4 or Xbone have. What's with that?

I was hoping my newly purchased Alpha (i5 version) would give me the same experience.

It is common, don't come into this thread when you're clearly ignorant and uninformed of the issues. You're on the verge of trolling when you imply that PC gamers would throw such an uproar because we're insecure about how the game looks better on consoles.
Well, I just posted in the performance thread asking if that video and its constant 0-5 FPS drops is common. Let's see what they say. Maybe you're right, maybe not.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1068628&page=120

Starts on post #5968.

pahamrick

Guess while I hope for AK to get fixed, I can do New Game+ in Arkham Origins in 90s Comic Nostalgia mode.

fnW4N17.jpg

Is High Voltage then blameless for their shitty ports if Iron Galaxy are somehow blameless here?

1. We don't know their actual amount of work porting it over. The demo was running like trash before E32014, I doubt they were involved at that point.

2. Their record isn't terrible like High Voltage. You can blame them for BL2 on vita but I'm surprised that shit is even running on a hand held in any capacity. They did fine on AO.

3. Ultimately the fault lies with WB regardless.

WaltJay

That's actually not a bad idea.

Came here to same this. My 980 ti is coming today and my main motivation for getting it turned out to be a turd sandwich. I was planning to upgrade my GPU and a free copy of AK pushed me over the edge based on the extra Nvidia effects and the fact the previous Arkham games ran great on my PC (plus it the upgrades I'd see in my other games).

Maybe they could substitute in something else, like Witcher 3.

TGO

PC gamers? OR this guy?

I just got called out for generalizing... seems we're not all perfect.
Sorry "some" but there are a lot with similar view and vendetta this gen which gets everyone tarnished with the same brush, its weird.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Even stranger is the fact that Iron Galaxy had already worked with porting an UE3 game.(borderlands 2 for the vita)
Kind of a different situation, don't you think?

Arkham Knight pushes UE3 in ways that no other game has to date while Borderlands 2 was a very mid-tier game originally that had to be massively cut down for Vita.

It ran awful on the Vita, unfortunately, but I'm not sure it could ever have run well.

Ellite25

Probably asked a bunch of times, but why didn't Rocksteady make the PC version? I thought it was common practice for brand new games like this to be made on all platforms by the main dev.

pahamrick

Probably asked a bunch of times, but why didn't Rocksteady make the PC version? I thought it was common practice for brand new games like this to be made on all platforms by the main dev.

No one really knows why for sure. What I hate is how sneaky they were about it.

No hints that someone else could have handled the PC version until PC retail boxes started appearing with Iron Galaxy's logo on the back. Hell, Iron Galaxy's logo doesn't even appear in the game giving any hint that they did work.

All you see when starting the game is WB / Rocksteady / Nvidia. Rocksteady was sure quick to toss their 'external PC developer' under the bus, though.

Tenebrous

I'm just struggling to comprehend why people would preorder from a publisher with a sketchy PC history.

I almost did it for £25 on GMG.

Kinthalis

Banned

We all expected that for this game. The previous games sold a couple of million copies each on PC, you'd think this would be at least worth the effort to do a proper port.

But apparently not.

People should stop making this a problem a Consoles vs. PC issue. The fact that the PS4 version exists is only relevant in the sense that we can see what the game was supposed to look like, but even in its absence, this is still a debacle.

Even if this game was exclusive for PC, people would be asking for refunds

I see also a lot people defending the pubdevs by saying that people are over blowing the issue. I don't think that's fair. People spend a whole ton of money to get very capable machines and expect games to run to a certain level of performance. PC gamers KNOW very well what their systems are and are not capable of running. If the pubdev is not capable of realizing that this IS the market for PC, they are disrespecting it.

In other words, stop blaming the consumer for the faults of the game maker. The consumer will be always right, so they better get in shape.

Kinthalis

Banned
People should stop making this a problem a Consoles vs. PC issue. The fact that the PS4 version exists is only relevant in the sense that we can see what the game was supposed to look like, but even in its absence, this is still a debacle.

The PS4 fanboys see blood, and they're on the attack.

Don't know why, this is a "battle" they've been losing since the gen started. And I'm using scare quotes around battle 'cause this is just stupid fanboy stuff.

It's just childish, and diverts attention from the real issue here.

TGO

Wait a minute, their recommended specs for running console like graphics/experience is about 2 times more power than the PS4 or Xbone have. What's with that?

I was hoping my newly purchased Alpha (i5 version) would give me the same experience.

1) it doesn't work that way
2) there is no setting for console like graphics
You can try emulate it, but it wont be the same.

Dying Of Thirst

Neo Member
Kind of a different situation, don't you think?

Arkham Knight pushes UE3 in ways that no other game has to date while Borderlands 2 was a very mid-tier game originally that had to be massively cut down for Vita.

It ran awful on the Vita, unfortunately, but I'm not sure it could ever have run well.
Good point. I wonder why they were chosen to do the port in the first place.

Ellite25

No one really knows why for sure. What I hate is how sneaky they were about it.

No hints that someone else could have handled the PC version until PC retail boxes started appearing with Iron Galaxy's logo on the back. Hell, Iron Galaxy's logo doesn't even appear in the game giving any hint that they did work.

All you see when starting the game is WB / Rocksteady / Nvidia. Rocksteady was sure quick to toss their 'external PC developer' under the bus, though.

Yeah that's pretty shady to be honest. Had people known it was being ported by an external dev they probably would have held off on buying it until it was tested in the wild. Of course WB cared more about getting money that putting out a quality product or informing gamers who was making the this version.

kinggroin

Banned

Let's say they fix the stutter issue, right? If AO and water shaders are re-enabled, a GTX670 and FX8350@4.5ghz will give you better than console framerates (assuming the enabled AO and water shaders don't somehow tank performance for no reason).

Of course, the PS4 version is limited to 30fps anyway, so you don't really know how high it can go.

Top Bottom