• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn Updated with New Modes, PS4 Pro Support

eagledare

It's sad this game flopped because it actually tried something new, had very good ideas and was full of content even at launch - everything gamers wish for these days.

I agree. In fact my wife and I tried Overwatch since we were having trouble finding games in Battleborne and were kind of shocked at how similar the two feel, even if Battleborne is a MOBA.

Both are great games, and Battleborne didn't deserve all the shit it got. Hope their player count gets a bump from this.

U2NUMB

Downloading the update now.. 17 gigs on X1. Does this include a new UI? I thought I remember that being a thing that was supposed to change.

Because it came out around a similar time to Overwatch. And people on the internet like to pick sides. Also the hate for Randy Pitchford thanks to Alien Colonial Marines didn't help.

10pm it goes live apparently.

-Randy Pitchford
-30fps on consoles
-bad marketing
-Overwatch as competition (you have to choose a side, you see)
-bad beta (where is the tutorial?! it's a fairly complex online action game)
-divisive art style
-Not a casual game, harder than Overwatch or Call of Duty to learn
-Randy Pitchford
W...T...f... Why does picking a side even have to be a thing??? Just enjoy good games. I understand the angst against the Aliens issue. But it looks like Gearbox delivered a pretty good game.

I'm tempted to try this. Especially at $10.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
My daughter should be happy about this... we haven't really had a reason to get into it for maybe a month+ now but the new character should breath some life into this one for at least another couple weeks.

wonder how many credits i have sitting in my account.

My daughter should be happy about this... we haven't really had a reason to get into it for maybe a month+ now but the new character should breath some life into this one for at least another couple weeks.

wonder how many credits i have sitting in my account.

Make sure you guys are up to date with your Shift Codes :D

They added a new Gold skin for the newest character a few days ago

http://orcz.com/Battleborn:_Shift_Codes

nynt9

W...T...f... Why does picking a side even have to be a thing??? Just enjoy good games. I understand the angst against the Aliens issue. But it looks like Gearbox delivered a pretty good game.

I'm tempted to try this. Especially at $10.

It's not a thing. It's a narrative created by Battleborn fans to explain why the game isn't successful. Can't possibly be because the game is bad. Must have been Overwatch fans "picking a side".

It's not a thing. It's a narrative created by Battleborn fans to explain why the game isn't successful. Can't possibly be because the game is bad. Must have been Overwatch fans "picking a side".

Lmao coming from one of the biggest offenders of doing it.

You shitpost in every single BB thread proving that guys exact point and have the gall to say it's not a thing that happens when you're in the middle of doing it xD

The narrative of "Battleborn is a bad game" was invented by Overwatch fans that never even tried the game but still felt that only one game could be successful so they decided to trash BB based on that notion rather than analyzing the game based on merit.

As you can see from the replies of people in here that have actually played the game, it is factually a good game whether you want to believe it or not.

scraz

Keep it up randy.
giphy.gif

-Randy Pitchford
-30fps on consoles
-bad marketing
-Overwatch as competition (you have to choose a side, you see)
-bad beta (where is the tutorial?! it's a fairly complex online action game)
-divisive art style
-Not a casual game, harder than Overwatch or Call of Duty to learn
-Randy Pitchford

Also

- Game not very enjoyable
- Visual clarity issues
- Audio clarity issues

As you can see from the replies of people in here that have actually played the game, it is factually a good game whether you want to believe it or not.

A "factually good" game that even the people who bought it refuse to play.

People who point fingers at Overwatch or Randy Pitchford's reputation or whatever else excuse to explain away the failure of this game never bother to address the simple question of why people who actually did buy the game don't want to play it. Surely those buyers aren't influenced by Overwatch propaganda or anything of the sort right? A multiplayer game ideally grows it's population or at least maintains a stable, sustainable number. Battleborn hemorrhaged players until their number became statistically insignificant. Why did that happen if this is such a "factually good" game?

People who point fingers at Overwatch or Randy Pitchford's reputation or whatever else excuse to explain away the failure of this game never bother to address the simple question of why people who actually did buy the game don't want to play it. Surely those buyers aren't influenced by Overwatch propaganda or anything of the sort right? A multiplayer game ideally grows it's population or at least maintains a stable, sustainable number. Battleborn hemorrhaged players until their number became statistically insignificant. Why did that happen if this is such a "factually good" game?

Because a more popular, equally good game came out at the same time, are you even serious with this question?

It happens all the time, look at Titanfall 2, a good game that came out at a time that an equally good game did that overshadowed it and absorbed its player base.

Keep in mind 2016 was a big year for multiplayer games. I stopped playing Battleborn to play Overwatch. Then I stopped playing Overwatch to play Titanfall 2.

PSqueak

Banned

Look man, i could give you a ten pages long autopsy of why Battleborn was not the success pitchford wanted (TL;DR version: Having to unlock the character, incongruent quality in character design, slightly clunkier gameplay compared to other hero shooters, higher level of difficulty) but every thread for the game we have in gaf always have an influx of people bashing the game just because it's battleborn and it's obvious here who has never played battleborn.

The devs are working to fix the problems why the game didn't do well, they're directly adressing the character unlocking issue (all base characters are unlocked now) and difficulty level (new tutorials for the main multiplayer mode), yet people come here to drive by shit post gifs and insults, do you think it's not bothersome for people who actually consume and enjoy the game?

And yes, blaming OW might seem a bit petty, but not everyone has the time to commit to multiple similar games (have you tried to commit to more than one moba?!) so yes, the overlap between overwatch and Battleborn meant the easier to play OW ate at least a fraction of BB's potential player base.

Quick screens from the game. I'm using my capture card to grab the 1080p screens while using the PS4 Screenshot function for the 4k screen.

1080p@60fps:

amarectv2017-01-1918-3pxaa.png

4k downsampled to 1080p. The game automatically downsamples for you when you pick 4k@30.

amarectv2017-01-1918-ezbr8.png

4k:

battleborn_2017011918rpaoq.png

samred

Quick screens from the game. I'm using my capture card to grab the 1080p screens while using the PS4 Screenshot function for the 4k screen.

Hard to tell with just one screen if there are any upsampling tricks going on, but this reminds me that Battleborn's aesthetic (kinda-sorta cel-shaded) probably lends itself particularly well to checkerboarding. Thanks for posting; I'll be curious to see this in action.

TheYanger

Why is this game so detested?

Randy Pitchford.

People are still upset about the Alien thing years later and feel the childish need to take it out on all the devs that spent the last few years of their lives working on this completely unrelated game.

For all the hate that Pitchford gets, and alot of it is warranted, taking it out on every single project Gearbox ever makes for the rest of time is honestly far too much of an overreaction.

Um. That's aprt of it, but it's mostly because it's a very bad game.

I got this game for free in a hundle bundle pack with borderlands two. I STILL aint get around to installing this game although I have it.

I just really, REALLY hate the artistic style of Battleborn. Borderlands comical looks was already pushing the line, but Battleborn........................NO.

That colored chalk color pallette
That matte look all materials have
The wacky character design
Everythings blinking at me

I aint feeling nooooone of that.

Hard to tell with just one screen if there are any upsampling tricks going on, but this reminds me that Battleborn's aesthetic (kinda-sorta cel-shaded) probably lends itself particularly well to checkerboarding.
CBR as implemented on PS4 Pro is unlikely to be much improved by this kind of aesthetic--marginally, perhaps, but not significantly.

On the other hand, this is a great match for geometry rendering such as The Witness uses.

U2NUMB

Is there an fps improvement?

Seemed smoother than I remember. It has been months since I played but it was smooth. Played a campaign mission with 2 randoms.. got to the final boss.. he glitched and could not take damage and just stood there.. we had to kill ourselves and received a fail. Not exactly a fun return to the game ugh

Yukinari

Can we get Battleborn into a book of world records for most post launch support for a dead game?

Im genuinely shocked its still getting updated.

PSqueak

Banned
holyshit i just finished updating it and just from the start up screen it seems there was indeed a framerate upgrade.

eagledare

Damn those 4k screens are the hotness.

Also, what's up with people showing up just to shitpost about Battleborne? If you don't like it cool, but no need to rain on the parade of the people that actually gave the game a chance and enjoyed it.

At that 4.99 price anyone who's even remotely interested should give it a try. Once you get past the learning curve you'll find a pretty deep/rewarding game.

PSqueak

Banned
So...anybody been able to get a game yet? The matchmaking que still comes up as long wait.

I played a bunch last night, the new chaotic mode (no bans, no voting for mode, multiple copies of one hero allowed) has a slightly faster wait time.

Normals (now with bans) and competitive are still long waits.

They also changed Meltdown, now it's a race to 300 (not 500) and when a team gets to 300 instead of instantly winning there is some sort of deathmatch.

Gotta say, im glad draft mode is a thing now, i hate Galilea so much.

Regardless of the Pitchford hating.

Other people had clearly poured their heart and soul into this gem.
I picked it up for $10 brand new a couple of weeks ago and I've been absolutely hooked in, such a better game than overwatch IMO.

I played a bunch last night, the new chaotic mode (no bans, no voting for mode, multiple copies of one hero allowed) has a slightly faster wait time.

Yeah, I actually had a few matches in a row after an initial wait.

Even got some hate mail after our team lost to a group of Beatrix's.

DarkKyo

I like both Overwatch and Battleborn. BB is pretty fun.

MrPanic

I wanted to like the game, but the game sadly ran like trash on lower end pc's so I could never really get into it. Did they improve the performance of this game on pc? I wouldn't mind giving the game another shot if it can actually run properly.

Hard to tell with just one screen if there are any upsampling tricks going on, but this reminds me that Battleborn's aesthetic (kinda-sorta cel-shaded) probably lends itself particularly well to checkerboarding. Thanks for posting; I'll be curious to see this in action.

The recent dev stream indicates no upscaling or checkerboarding of any kind, It's native 4k.

Top Bottom