• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 Reveal Trailer, PC/PS4/XB1, Oct 21st [Up2: Screens, Info, Open Beta]

timmyp53

Honestly kind of dissapointed. I guess what I really want is a BIA band of brothers type game with modern graphics.

ezekial45

Banned
Historically it makes extremely little sense to give them such a prominent role.

Nowadays politically I guess it's all the rage.

America entered the war when it was basically over, the vast majority of the fighting force was white Europeans and descendants of Europeans.

So because we're seeing one of the focuses on the HHF, who were involved in the most battles of any unit in the war, it's only political? They seem totally right for the game treatment, especially considering they have a history of being one of the most effective fighting force the US had.

This turns my stomach. Just flat out the most offensive game I've ever seen.

I can name family members that died in this conflict, wept at the pictures and accounts of the dead and maimed that experienced this hell, was taught all the horrors of it from primary school, through my whole life, it's only ever been a symbol of the folly of war, the worst, most black and shameful era of British and European history. I've been to the actual battlefields and mass graves across Europe, held the minutes silence without fail every rememberence day my entire life, for as long as I could understand the meaning of it.

There was no glory in this war. No thrilling action or daring do, no heroes and villains, this was mass murder, a scar on the history of our species, and every single person involved in it was a victim.

This trailer, the entire concept of this game, makes me feel physically sick, and just so fucking angry.

How fucking dare anyone make a game like this about the First World War.

I don't know what's worse, the sick fucking emotionless, greedy cunts that would seriously exploit this horror of an industrialised massacre, or the ignorant, soulless bastards that will give them money and enjoy it.

Anyone involved in this, or seriously think of buying this, should be ashamed of themselves.

Is this a bad time to tell you might I buy the special edition?

I can name family members that died in this conflict, wept at the pictures and accounts of the dead and maimed that experienced this hell, was taught all the horrors of it from primary school, through my whole life, it's only ever been a symbol of the folly of war, the worst, most black and shameful era of British and European history. I've been to the actual battlefields and mass graves across Europe, held the minutes silence without fail every rememberence day my entire life, for as long as I could understand the meaning of it.

There was no glory in this war. No thrilling action or daring do, no heroes and villains, this was mass murder, a scar on the history of our species, and every single person involved in it was a victim.

This trailer, the entire concept of this game, makes me feel physically sick, and just so fucking angry.

I don't know what's worse, the sick fucking emotionless, greedy cunts that would seriously exploit this horror of an industrialised massacre, or the ignorant, soulless bastards that will give them money and enjoy it.

Anyone involved in this, or seriously think of buying this, should be ashamed of themselves.

I appreciate your sentiment and respect it, but aren't we a little too deep in the war-shooter genre to be pinning this on BF1?

Erasus

But WWII games are okay?
What about games heavily based on the US Iraq/Afghan wars, ie any modern fps setting like Medal of Honor?

I can see your point though. I feels a bit bizzare but I do want to try it

Alienous

I do understand where you're coming from. Yeah, this is glorifying the war. But I like that it can turn heads towards the war, and allow people to recognize the actual sacrifices that occurred.

It can be distasteful. I hope, at least with the campaign, that they take the time to convey the stories of the first World War. Not everyone is going to pick up a history textbook, and I think reminding people of a dark part of history has its merits. But yeah, I do see where you're coming from.

Elitist1945

Never buy a military shooter ever again if something like this is off-putting to you. Not to sound insensitive.

Crono27

Overreaction much. I can also name family members that passed away in this and ww2. It's a game just like any other game. You don't like it don't buy it. Simple as that.

jediyoshi

Historically it makes extremely little sense to give them such a prominent role.

Nowadays politically I guess it's all the rage.

America entered the war when it was basically over, the vast majority of the fighting force was white Europeans and descendants of Europeans.

Good to know the dissonance exists when it deals with race, but is absent in regards to special forces representation relative to infantrymen or use of vehicles relative to ground units.

Ultryx

I'm gonna play the SHIT out of it and wallow in my shame, especially with a new NVIDIA card coming soon.

Deadbeat

Banned
There were quite a few assault rifles that were used in the war. That time period was great because we were on the cusp of huge technological advancements and some of that stuff contributed to the war effort.

So yeah, we had assault rifles, sub-machine guns, light machine guns and heavy machine guns. We also had the all rifles you'd expect.
We didnt really have assault rifles. You could argue the federov, but not really. SMGS was the bergmann mp18 and the italian ovp? or something. LMGS are nuts though. Bar, madsen, chauchat, lewis, mg15, lots of stuff.

mosdl

Jack Frags said there are dedicated vehicle classes, but not that you couldn't get out if you choose that class. I would assume you can get out of your tank, but as a Tank Class you would have weaker infantry weapon options.

Also DICE guys said you can fit your whole squad into a vehicle, so people can at least get into a piloted vehicle.

I understood it as if you spawn into a Tank, you become a tank person and can't go board an airplane.

Bsigg12

So just WW1 huh?

SuperSah

Banned

I had ancestors in this war - black folk to make it even worse. They were treated the worst of the worst.

But this is a video game. It's recreating this war and it's a great way to educate yourself and to "experience" parts of it. Personally, my hype is through the roof and whilst people have died in it, including my ancestors, it is just a video game and nothing for me to be ashamed about.

If this game is basically like Battlefield 1942 but with a World War 1 skin on it, I'd be happier than a pig in shit.

If this game is basically Battlefield 4 with a World War 1 skin it, I'm going to be preeeeetty disappointed.

If this game is a weird half measure between Battlefield 4 and 1942 with a WW1 skin, I'd be a little disappointed but I'll take it.
And if there's a significant portion of authentic World War 1 game in there then wow Dice, that's ballsy to do.

What do you consider to be the main difference between the two styles of games?

There is really nothing here that is more offensive than BF 1942 or BF Vietnam.

These games have always been more inspired by historical conflicts than based on them.

Also COD and Battlefield have always been into War and Military fetishazation, this is nothing new.

Scotia

Banned

And WW2 is fine? Vietnam War is fine? Iraq war too?

Not ashamed in the least.

JCreasy

It's weird they choose a black person for the cover for a WW I setting. They were some black soldiers but they were like the vast minority.

tumblr_noq4ifBxaa1t62gyeo2_400.gif

Maybe the plan is to tell the story of some these soldiers so that people like us can learn about their valuable contribution. Just a thought.

fastmower

I think the marketing of this game will be potentially quite offensive and in poor-taste. I will say that I am not upset about a game made about war, more upset by the tasteless marketing of said game.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm so glad I don't take video games this seriously.

My ancestor once traveled the galaxy with a mechanical friend and he would grind on rails with his rocket boots.

That is why I am ashamed of any of you who buy a Ratchet & Clank game.

How fucking DARE YOU!

Lead

Banned
Good to know the dissonance exists when it deals with race, but is absent in regards to special forces representation relative to infantrymen or use of vehicles relative to ground units.
I already know the game would never be historically accurate in any way shape or form.

It's a mass appeal game created by a mass appeal developer and publisher.

I was responding directly to the guy that said he was happy to see black represented, when the facts are that millions upon millions of white Europeans died in the trenches, not black Americans that entered the war when it was pretty much over.

Dominator

I can appreciate your passion but you're emotions are misguided. Most world events whether good or bad become commercialized, and this is no different and shouldn't be treated as different either. I can see it being off-putting to you for personal reasons but to shame others for not feeling your sentiments is pretty low.

Skux

I want to play as a badass female mujahideen and cut down fools with a sabre while on horseback.

Deliver me my fantasy, DICE.

This is some variant of some meme I'm not familiar with right? ....right?

viveks86

Sorry you feel that way. But this could literally be said about any war, real or fictitious. If a subject is too close to your heart, just walk away, instead of getting emotional and judging others who don't/choose not to look at it the same way you do.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Is this a joke?

WW2 is fine but WW1 we get this shit?
Every war is horrible, yet we got movies and what not for your "entertainment".

What's the big put off for you?

Era setting, weapons, vehicles, etc. be played literally thousands of hours of BF1942, CoDs 1-3, the Medal of Honor series, among others and while I used to love the early war stuff (I'm generalizing WWI/WWII) I've just spent years of my life in it and have NO desire to go back there. I think a large population on GAF is younger and didn't spend the time a lot of us old guys did with shooters like this. Or they just like the time period and setting. That's completely cool but I'd like to move onto something different.

BF will peak my interest again when they move into alternate history or the far future (2142 wasn't around long enough or expanded upon enough in my opinion)

dano1

A Sheep

You need some help.
Pretty sure all wars were bad for everyone.. Not going to stop the games from being made. Is GTA ok?

Bod

Neo Member

If you have played any military shooter based on any real life war you are a massive hypocrite.

Any real life war has people who are deeply effected by it , so you can not pick and choose which one is acceptable and which is not.

AmyS

Who wants a PS4K / Neo (or a new Xbox) to play this if that meant getting locked 60fps gameplay in MP and SP? Not to mention native 1080p and higher graphical settings.

bidguy

Banned

pre ordered early edition lets goooo

I already know the game would never be historically accurate in any way shape or form.

It's a mass appeal game created by a mass appeal developer and publisher.

I was responding directly to the guy that said he was happy to see black represented, when the facts are that millions upon millions of white Europeans died in the trenches, not black Americans that entered the war when it was pretty much over.

It isn't common in games. Folks are going to be happy to see SOME representation at all. It's multiple characters anyhow. You won't have to deal with it for long if it bothers you.

I'm not even too concerned right now about how the war is being depicted, I'm just glad the game is getting made. Who would have thought we'd get a triple A WW1 game from EA? I know I sure didn't. I'm sure in future trailers and in the actual game the tone will be a lot different.

Top Bottom