• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 Reveal Trailer, PC/PS4/XB1, Oct 21st [Up2: Screens, Info, Open Beta]

If this game is basically like Battlefield 1942 but with a World War 1 skin on it, I'd be happier than a pig in shit.

If this game is basically Battlefield 4 with a World War 1 skin it, I'm going to be preeeeetty disappointed.

If this game is a weird half measure between Battlefield 4 and 1942 with a WW1 skin, I'd be a little disappointed but I'll take it.
And if there's a significant portion of authentic World War 1 game in there then wow Dice, that's ballsy to do.

I'm worried about this being some hybrid of Battlefield 4 and Battlefront. The tank/pilot specific classes, horseback riding, and zeppelins are giving me some mean Hero Card vibes.

This trailer was Blue Balls City. I can't believe that a Battlefield game with so much that's potentially different was cut like any other Battlefield trailer. All that build up for this, smh.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
This turns my stomach. Just flat out the most offensive game I've ever seen.

I can name family members that died in this conflict, wept at the pictures and accounts of the dead and maimed that experienced this hell, was taught all the horrors of it from primary school, through my whole life, it's only ever been a symbol of the folly of war, the worst, most black and shameful era of British and European history. I've been to the actual battlefields and mass graves across Europe, held the minutes silence without fail every rememberence day my entire life, for as long as I could understand the meaning of it.

There was no glory in this war. No thrilling action or daring do, no heroes and villains, this was mass murder, a scar on the history of our species, and every single person involved in it was a victim.

This trailer, the entire concept of this game, makes me feel physically sick, and just so fucking angry.

How fucking dare anyone make a game like this about the First World War.

I don't know what's worse, the sick fucking emotionless, greedy cunts that would seriously exploit this horror of an industrialised massacre, or the ignorant, soulless bastards that will give them money and enjoy it.

Anyone involved in this, or seriously think of buying this, should be ashamed of themselves.

Calling it now, this is the new "I am an expert" meme of GAF.

Bliman

Banned
That looks incredible. Now offcourse we must see how the gameplay is going to be. Because those nice graphics mean nothing if the game is not good.

SirNinja

I can name family members that died in this conflict, wept at the pictures and accounts of the dead and maimed that experienced this hell, was taught all the horrors of it from primary school, through my whole life, it's only ever been a symbol of the folly of war, the worst, most black and shameful era of British and European history. I've been to the actual battlefields and mass graves across Europe, held the minutes silence without fail every rememberence day my entire life, for as long as I could understand the meaning of it.

There was no glory in this war. No thrilling action or daring do, no heroes and villains, this was mass murder, a scar on the history of our species, and every single person involved in it was a victim.

This trailer, the entire concept of this game, makes me feel physically sick, and just so fucking angry.

I don't know what's worse, the sick fucking emotionless, greedy cunts that would seriously exploit this horror of an industrialised massacre, or the ignorant, soulless bastards that will give them money and enjoy it.

Anyone involved in this, or seriously think of buying this, should be ashamed of themselves.

DICE just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about World War I (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Call of Duty where you can portray some made-up war in the far future. If you show someone getting screwed over in WWI, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Battlefield 1 for any system, nor will they purchase any of DICE's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but they have alienated an entire market with this move.

DICE, publicly apologize and cancel Battlefield 1 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

egocrata

Banned

I will feel really bad the next time I invade Gaul with the Romans in Total War.

dano1

A Sheep
Who wants a PS4K / Neo (or a new Xbox) to play this if that meant getting locked 60fps gameplay in MP and SP? Not to mention native 1080p and higher graphical settings.

Game just preordered!
PS4K will be preordered day 1 also!!

Portugeezer

My condolences, but...

bf1plane1z8sri.gif

I think I will buy this.

mosdl

Who wants a PS4K / Neo (or a new Xbox) to play this if that meant getting locked 60fps gameplay in MP and SP? Not to mention native 1080p and higher graphical settings.

I have a feeling that in MP the ps4 and neo versions would run at same resolution/frame rate, they'll want to not make it unfair to own a neo.

WWI was basically the beginning of modern warfare. Old tech and ideas (cavalry charges, single fire weapons, infantry that didn't wear helmets) clashed with the new (tanks, mounted machineguns, huge artillery), often in slaughterfests.

you are correct a lot of horses died in that war

This is too much.

kpaadet

Any reasonable person know this is fiction and not what WW1 was like, this is entertainment you can just ......not buy it.

Ovid

If this game is basically like Battlefield 1942 but with a World War 1 skin on it, I'd be happier than a pig in shit.

If this game is basically Battlefield 4 with a World War 1 skin it, I'm going to be preeeeetty disappointed.

If this game is a weird half measure between Battlefield 4 and 1942 with a WW1 skin, I'd be a little disappointed but I'll take it.
And if there's a significant portion of authentic World War 1 game in there then wow Dice, that's ballsy to do.

Yeah, I'm totally okay with that too.

BF1943 was good too.

ryseing

Calling it now, this is the new "I am an expert" meme of GAF.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about World War I (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Call of Duty where you can portray some made-up war in the far future. If you show someone getting screwed over in WWI, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Battlefield 1 for any system, nor will they purchase any of DICE's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but they have alienated an entire market with this move.

DICE, publicly apologize and cancel Battlefield 1 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

There it is.

The OP has a point but at the same time you have to separate fact from fiction.

dano1

A Sheep

I'll buy 2 copies then..

Era setting, weapons, vehicles, etc. be played literally thousands of hours of BF1942, CoDs 1-3, the Medal of Honor series, among others and while I used to love the early war stuff (I'm generalizing WWI/WWII) I've just spent years of my life in it and have NO desire to go back there. I think a large population on GAF is younger and didn't spend the time a lot of us old guys did with shooters like this. Or they just like the time period and setting. That's completely cool but I'd like to move onto something different.

BF will peak my interest again when they move into alternate history or the far future (2142 wasn't around long enough or expanded upon enough in my opinion)
We have. For almost a decade now

There are so many stories, settings, and fronts that those WW2 games have never touched. And WWI is like 99% untouched by games

Hawkie

The gas mask portion of the trailer struck a cord as my great grandfather fought and died at the 2nd battle of Ypres (1915), where the Germans used widespread poison gas for the 1st time and gas masks were not available. With this year being the 100 year anniversary of the Somme and Verdun it seems quite apt timing.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

Im fuckin shameless already...day one for me!

Tecnniqe

Banned

2 Digital Deluxe it is!

mcz117chief

People overlook WW1???

Honestly most people barely acknowledge it's existence. WW2 is all people talk about when they talk about modern history. Hitler, Stalin, Hirohito, Truman, those are the names that constantly get churned around. When you go to a random person and ask them about WW1 they will most likely just say "some dudes in trenches sitting doing nothing somewhere in Europe." Most people automatically dismiss WW1 because there weren't as many casualties there as there were in WW2 and big names that I already mentioned help too. Honestly most people would have trouble naming 2 important persons from WW1 era.

Usually only in MP. Don't think there's a shooter with a German SP campaign.

Red Orchestra 2 comes to mind immediately. I am sure there are others too.

Whelp, first Battlefield I'll be skipping since 1942.

I can see why some will dig the WWI stuff but I'm out DICE. Hope it does extremely well against all the other shooters.
...ok.

I was responding directly to the guy that said he was happy to see black represented, when the facts are that millions upon millions of white Europeans died in the trenches, not black Americans that entered the war when it was pretty much over.

The black guy isn't the main cover. It is a DLC or a special edition. And i think that brings in attention rather than being aimed as to celebrate the most number of sacrifices.

It's just a game. Don't take it personal nor historic in anyway. it is an entertainment product, not an educational or commemorative one.

Magwik

Banned

huh that's like the 3rd time I've been indirectly compared to garbage today here on GAF.

If there is a new xbox that can play this at 1080p@60fps?
I will double dip it on pc and xbox pro.

Lead

Banned
It isn't common in games. Folks are going to be happy to see SOME representation at all. It's multiple characters anyhow. You won't have to deal with it for long if it bothers you.
It doesn't bother me, I'm just happy we're getting an AAA WW1 game, no matter how poorly it's done historically.

I feel like if this is your stance you shouldn't buy any video game based on any war, and real life situation, any grounding in reality whatsoever. No police, no military, no historical battles, period.

Onemic

10/10

HowZatOZ

Banned
I really want to find this Seven Nation mix. It is really bloody good.

DICE had a good run. leave it up to EA to bilk millions from a tragedy

Are we suddenly not allowed to depict wars anymore? Some of you people are hating on this for the most hilarious reasons.

But this is a video game. It's recreating this war and it's a great way to educate yourself and to "experience" parts of it.

No, Battlefield is not a great way to educate anyone lol
Other posters mention that there are games about WWII (so why not WWI) but there aren't many FPS taking place in a concentration camp

Honestly most people barely acknowledge it's existence. WW2 is all people talk about when they talk about modern history. Hitler, Stalin, Hirohito, Truman, those are the names that constantly get churned around. When you go to a random person and ask them about WW1 they will most likely just say "some dudes in trenches sitting doing nothing somewhere in Europe." Most people automatically dismiss WW1 because there weren't as many casualties there as there were in WW2 and big names that I already mentioned help too. Honestly most people would have trouble naming 2 important persons from WW1 era.

I think your going a bit over the top by saying people dismiss WW1, but you are right that it's not really talked about in modern history, WW2 and the cold war is what is mostly taught in schools (atleast here in the UK). WW1 is only studied for it's aftermath, ie the Treaty of Versailles.

Bsigg12

People overlook WW1???

In the US it's typically less known/cared about since US troops didn't get involved until really late into the conflict (2 years or so and it ended a year later) where as with WW2, the US were there 2 years after the start and the war continued on for another 4 years. There were also only about 2 million US soldiers to fight in WW1 where as there were 16 million or so over the course of WW2.

Edit: I'm a dummy.

This post made me physically sick.

olympia

impressive fakepost

Drencrom

vlcsnap-error198fvufz.png

mondragonpic.jpg

Mondrag%C3%B3n_rifle.jpg

It looks like M1908 Mondragón rifle it's in the game if true then THANK YOU DICE :D

I'm really looking forward to see all the bolt action rifles, revolvers and early semi automatic pistols they will have in the game. So many cool and interesting guns that are never seen in games.

Top Bottom