• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 Review Thread

Karak

Great review as always, though I must say I'm disappointed that you no longer introduce yourself as the bearded shaman of gaming. :p

I do. I just randomly talk so sometimes I do that, sometimes I do "at the speed of embargo" blah blah blah. Just whatever comes out when i hit record lol and thanks!

rubes7844

Banned
I do. I just randomly talk so sometimes I do that, sometimes I do "at the speed of embargo" blah blah blah. Just whatever comes out when i hit record lol and thanks!

It may be off topic but do you still have fun playing games despite doing this as a job? I did reviewing as a hobby and I found that gaming wasn't fun anymore and had to get away so I can enjoy gaming again.

On topic: fantastic review!

Karak

It may be off topic but do you still have fun playing games despite doing this as a job? I did reviewing as a hobby and I found that gaming wasn't fun anymore and had to get away so I can enjoy gaming again.

On topic: fantastic review!

I don't see myself getting bored with it. But that is because the reviews I do are literally what I would discuss with friends so its like recording a blather session with pals.

I am pretty passionate about gaming. And in 2 years now that hasn't lessened only increased I would say.

And my thanks!

From what I've played of the trial, I really agree with the high scores. I've never been into the BF games, or any of the new brand of war games, but this one has been really good.

hesido

I like that it's a short campaign. I haven't played any campaigns of battlefield and I played BF BC2, BF3, BF4. Maybe this time due to its short length, I can try finishing it. (Maybe the previous ones were also short but I never felt like checking them out.)

Timu

I like that it's a short campaign. I haven't played any campaigns of battlefield and I played BF BC2, BF3, BF4. Maybe this time due to its short length, I can try finishing it. (Maybe the previous ones were also short but I never felt like checking them out.)
They were 3-5 hours long.

BF campaigns have always been average at best. Up until BC, the single player just consisted of bots. Even the Bad Company series which people loved had mediocre campaigns. They got away with it because it had likeable characters. The actual missions were extremely bland. Single player will always be second class in a BF game. The series has always been known for its multiplayer. So I’m completely fine with a short, but decent campaign.

If you're buying BF just for the single player, you're looking at the wrong franchise.

Karak

BF campaigns have always been average at best. Up until BC, the single player just consisted of bots. Even the Bad Company series which people loved had mediocre campaigns. They got away with it because it had likeable characters. The actual missions were extremely bland. Single player will always be second class in a BF game. The series has always been known for its multiplayer. So I’m completely fine with a short, but decent campaign.

If you're buying BF just for the single player, you're looking at the wrong franchise.

This is incorrect and the more we pretend that some players don't enjoy and do so continues to lack the light that needs to be shined on the situation. Regardless of past failures. Open eyes is far more important.

Skab

When i'm getting to play AAA games with 20 hour plus campaigns that are great i'm not paying these lazy fuckers a dime.

Edit: I'll just watch theRadBrad on youtube right now and save myself some cash.

I mean, the series is and always has been multiplayer focused. Not sure why you expected this one to be different.

Memnoch

The early enlister version is 99 cad. On the edge of buying it but the price is steep. Im mostly interested in the sp. Push me over the edge gaf!

Karak

I mean, the series is and always has been multiplayer focused. Not sure why you expected this one to be different.

They went out of their way to indicate the resources and time that were spent into single player. It wasn't like players magically made it up on their own. Even my time with them last year they were pushing the discussion.
Though healthy sceptisimn is prepped resources were spent and people want them to be somewhat equal to nearby competition. Not that strange at all actually.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
They went out of their way to indicate the resources and time that were spent into single player. It wasn't like players magically made it up on their own. Even my time with them last year they were pushing the discussion
They've spent far less time showcasing and advertising SP this time around. BF3 and BF4 both had full mission playthroughs before we saw any MP. We only got SP footage of BF1 a couple weeks ago.

Karak

They've spent far less time showcasing and advertising SP this time around. BF3 and BF4 both had full mission playthroughs before we saw any MP. We only got SP footage of BF1 a couple weeks ago.

Not to us. And the reasons given smacked of the same "we have something cool" rather than. Hey guys we had the C team program some bots. hahaha
Though for some reason now I have that stuck in my head:)

But it is now neither here nor there. Its just what it is.

Peterthumpa

The early enlister version is 99 cad. On the edge of buying it but the price is steep. Im mostly interested in the sp. Push me over the edge gaf!

100/5 hours = CAD 20 / hour of gameplay. You get full fledged, 10+ hours *good* SP games paying the price for a single hour of BF1.

Unless you're interested in multiplayer as well.

Where did you get it for $5?

I didn't like the beta, but for that price I'd be willing to buy it just to experience the graphics.

Amazon Warehouse deals had a bunch of the Deluxe Edition in like new condition for like $8, and I had a few bucks in credit. The DLC code hadn't even been used :)

anthraxus

Banned
As another sp guy here, I'd love a new Hidden & Dangerous type WW1/2 game.

Now that's quality sp campaigns right there with some great mission variety.

How about OFP: Cold War Crisis and the Resistance expansion ? How good was that ?

I'd die for a WW1/2 sp campaign like that. Or Vietnam....whatever. Just more sp campaigns like these period, pretty much.

Woo-Fu

Banned

No reason to early enlist if your primary focus is SP. Save yourself some money and perhaps even end up with a product with a few less bugs.

Some of the comparisons I've heard to BC 2 make me really happy. I hated BF3 and 4, but screw it, I really need something new to play. I traded in a couple games (extra pre-order credit) and will be playing on Friday.

Since one of my friends wants to play MP I might pick this up.

Have the reviews said the SP is good at least this time?

Seems that way. Apparently the SP is more compelling and better paced than past BF campaigns. More varied, too, apparently. Polygon's review in the OP makes a good attempt at explaining why.

ar4757

When i'm getting to play AAA games with 20 hour plus campaigns that are great i'm not paying these lazy fuckers a dime.

Edit: I'll just watch theRadBrad on youtube right now and save myself some cash.

Not all games need to be long. But from a value proposition if you really hate multiplayer or something I get you

Top Bottom