• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 Review Thread

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Anyone else wish they would sell the SP campaign as a separate 20-30 dollar game? I mean, I want to play this, but have no interest in MP. I could rent it or wait for a price drop, but it just seems that EA would benefit from offering this option.

I've never played a battlefield game before. Do I need to buy the $100 version of the game to have access to all the multiplayer maps? How does it work.

Schlorgan

I've never played a battlefield game before. Do I need to buy the $100 version of the game to have access to all the multiplayer maps? How does it work.

Premium is a Season Pass, so when you buy it you will get all of the map packs as they come out (first one in March). Honestly, I'd say hold off on Premium for a couple of months and make sure you like the game enough that you'll be playing it for awhile. The $60 version comes with 9 maps, plus a free one in a couple months.

Premium is a Season Pass, so when you buy it you will get all of the map packs as they come out (first one in March). Honestly, I'd say hold off on Premium for a couple of months and make sure you like the game enough that you'll be playing it for awhile. The $60 version comes with 9 maps, plus a free one in a couple months.

Thanks. Does the multiplayer player base get divided in battlefield games as dlc maps release?

When i'm getting to play AAA games with 20 hour plus campaigns that are great i'm not paying these lazy fuckers a dime.

Edit: I'll just watch theRadBrad on youtube right now and save myself some cash.
What first person shooter on the market has a 20+ hour campaign AND an extensively robust MP suite like Battlefield?

King_Moc

Banned
When i'm getting to play AAA games with 20 hour plus campaigns that are great i'm not paying these lazy fuckers a dime.

Edit: I'll just watch theRadBrad on youtube right now and save myself some cash.

Eurgh, this is really pathetic. Battlefield is first and foremost a multiplayer title. And a damn good one at that. Who the fuck are you to claim they're lazy?

Bishop89

That's like complaining about final Fantasy not having multiplayer lmao

Some people I swear

That's like complaining about final Fantasy not having multiplayer lmao

Some people I swear

I was profoundly disappointed with the CSGO solo campaign.
And don't get me started with Overwatch.

Seriously, whoever who uttered this non-sense, Battlefield is first a massive MP game, the fact that they made a actual campaign is a good bonus from them and it does look pretty great from what i tried in the Trial.

Half-Life 2 didn't even have that. Not sure what game this guy is talking about.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Half Life 2 came with Counter-Strike: Source, which is for all intents and purposes the "multiplayer mode" for that game on day one. They also made HL2: DM available like 2 weeks later, I think that was free too for initial owners but my memory is hazy.

VeeP

Anyone else wish they would sell the SP campaign as a separate 20-30 dollar game? I mean, I want to play this, but have no interest in MP. I could rent it or wait for a price drop, but it just seems that EA would benefit from offering this option.

Same here. I would love to see a Battlefield 1: Multiplayer Edition. With BF1 Multiplayer AND Premium included for about $79.99. 30-40 dollars for vanilla edition and 40-50 for premium.

anthraxus

Banned
Here's the two games I mentioned earlier...

Hidden & Dangerous 2 - https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=4454

Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis - https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=6778

Expansions add another 10 hours.

Sabre Squadron - https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=4455

Resistance - https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=6782

At least according to this site. Not sure how accurate it is.

Play the games on the hardest difficulties also (like they're meant to be played) and those campaigns will really give you your moneys worth/last a while.

Deadbeat

Banned
Half Life 2 came with Counter-Strike: Source, which is for all intents and purposes the "multiplayer mode" for that game on day one. They also made HL2: DM available like 2 weeks later, I think that was free too for initial owners but my memory is hazy.
It was. I loved throwing toilets at people.

Xyber

While true, HL2 was also first and foremost a single player game which then happened to have an updated version of a mod for the first game shipping with it. And I personally thought some parts of that game dragged on a bit too long when I played it.

I think a short and good campaign definitely is better than something that gets repetitive and drags on for too long in my multiplayer focused games. I see it as a little bonus rather than something I am basing my purchase on.

Expecting a great 20+ hour campaign in a BF game like that other guy is fucking crazy talk though.

Here's the two games I mentioned earlier...

Hidden & Dangerous 2 - https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=4454

Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis - https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=6778

Expansions add another 10 hours.

Sabre Squadron - https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=4455

Resistance - https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=6782

At least according to this site. Not sure how accurate it is.

Play the games on the hardest difficulties also (like they're meant to be played) and those campaigns will really give you your moneys worth/last a while.

OFP: Resistance is one of the best FPS campaigns and it's a damn shame it doesn't get more recognition hear. I haven't played Hidden and Dangerous 2, but I've wanted to for a long time. I wish 2K would release it on Steam or GoG along with the Vietcong games

anthraxus

Banned
Yea, GAF seems like much more of a console centric site, which would explain the unpopularity when it comes to titles like these.

Even though the Xbawks did get OFP: Elite (which wasn't even really dumbed down and prob the most hardcore shooter to ever appear on a console)

Although i doubt many even bought it.

Get the standard edition now and then get the season pass when the first pack releases in march. I cannot justify or recommend someone paying up front for content they won't see for another 5 months. Sorry if this comes off like I'm trying to tell you what to do! Just trying to help you out.

Standard edition will have all the maps and content available right now. You'll get everything up until the season pass content releases.

Thanks. Does the multiplayer player base get divided in battlefield games as dlc maps release?

It depends on how good a map is, but there are lots of people still playing vanilla BF3 and BF4 maps. You won't have trouble finding a server years from now with the standard edition, so yes and no.

While true, HL2 was also first and foremost a single player game which then happened to have an updated version of a mod for the first game shipping with it. And I personally thought some parts of that game dragged on a bit too long when I played it.

I think a short and good campaign definitely is better than something that gets repetitive and drags on for too long in my multiplayer focused games. I see it as a little bonus rather than something I am basing my purchase on.

Expecting a great 20+ hour campaign in a BF game like that other guy is fucking crazy talk though.

I agree anyone expecting a 20 hour FPS campaign in a multiplayer focussed game is a little loopy, I just wanted to set the record straight about what HL2 shipped with. And I also agree that a tighter experience is better than one bloated just to pad out the playtime figures.

Wolfenstein: TNO is a ~12 hour campaign, and that's a game that has absolutely no MP at all. One of the best in memory. It's also the longest Wolfenstein campaign as far as I can tell!

elohel

never thought I'd see a conservative review on a big title from Forbes lol

Or Forbes being listed as a game review source

Mrbob

I agree anyone expecting a 20 hour FPS campaign in a multiplayer focussed game is a little loopy, I just wanted to set the record straight about what HL2 shipped with. And I also agree that a tighter experience is better than one bloated just to pad out the playtime figures.

Wolfenstein: TNO is a ~12 hour campaign, and that's a game that has absolutely no MP at all. One of the best in memory. It's also the longest Wolfenstein campaign as far as I can tell!
Has to be a masochist. That is the only reason I can think of for someone wanting a 20 hour battlefield campaign.

HiiiLife

I wish this was a thing for a lot of games.

Does godisageek usually write overtly gushing reviews? They said this is one of the best single player campaigns of all time. A battlefield game best of all time?

Someone tell me they are up their own ass cause I don't have money for this :(

JawzPause

OFP: Resistance is one of the best FPS campaigns and it's a damn shame it doesn't get more recognition hear. I haven't played Hidden and Dangerous 2, but I've wanted to for a long time. I wish 2K would release it on Steam or GoG along with the Vietcong games
Very true, resistance 3 campaign is probably my favourite fps campaign of all time.

BBboy20

I mean, it's nice to hear that it has the best mainstay campaign to-date but given the subject matter, it's still disappointing that it doesn't seem like an equality important aspect of the game. Then again, I'm not surprised either.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
This is looking like the best FPS of the Autumn releases.

COD IW and Titanfall 2 are going to have to be outstanding to compete.

You might be surprised. ;)

Playing on PS4 and man! SP looks gorgeous. I think I stopped a few times just to check the smoke effects, and other little stuff. Died in the proces though. Haha!

Drencrom

Is this a joke?

Battlefield is a multiplayer focused game series, always has been. Would you rather have DICE make a 20+ hour campaign that is straight up trash instead of making a 6~10 hour campaign that is competent and worth your time?

Interested in how the AI is in this. Problem is, even when these games have a good campaign, that usually means a good story, good set pieces etc but the AI can be quite brain dead anyway. Need to read through these reviews

Much credit where it's due for the bold setting, and respecting that players might want more than super-duper modern/futuristic technological warfare. Truly hope this stands out from the crowd this year and does well. The FPS market could use a shake-up.
I wish this was a thing. Zero desire to play any MP but would glady pay for a well-regarded campaign. Given how big an operation it is, EA probably market tests this and has a statistically-determined area where they maximize revenues, and a separate campaign doesn't cut it.
thanks guys. i'll have to pass, till i can buy it for 20$.
Same, unfortunately.

Machina

Banned
Nice to hear you praising the destruction, which is something I was kind of disappointed at times with in Battlefield 4..is it closer to Bad Company 2 again?

Yes I'd say so. Falling debris can kill you if you're standing under it, as does standing on a second floor and the floor caves in. Destroying fortifications with the Dreadnoughts main cannon on Fao Fortress is incredibly satisfying. Also craters left behind by grenades, bombs and big explosions are very pronounced and are permanent scars on the map as long as the match is active.

Top Bottom