• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy Elite and Elite Plus Black Friday in July Deals.

Well that's a really big threshold for minimum purchases. Like you would have to buy something pretty expensive like a home theatre set up, 4K TV or home appliances to even get close to this.

I frequently purchase things for my company from BB. I just use my personal RewardZone card at check out and get all the points and elite status every year.

bman94

The easy way is to get it by using the BBY MasterCard. I spent 3500 a few months into the year since I use it for all my purchases and renewed my elite plus membership pretty quickly, just like every year. In addition to the points program, it's another benefit.

Edit - to clarify, it is not a store credit card, but rather MasterCard through CitiBank I believe, but applied at through Best Buy and tied to their rewards and benefits. It's comparable to another credit card with a points or rewards program (I personally pay it off every month).

How is the interest on that thing?

I frequently purchase things for my company from BB. I just use my personal RewardZone card at check out and get all the points and elite status every year.

Ah, lucky!

netguy503

Well that's a really big threshold for minimum purchases. Like you would have to buy something pretty expensive like a home theatre set up, 4K TV or home appliances to even get close to this.

I know and unfortunately the rewards for reaching that perk aren't that great? Should be better for the money your spending IMO.

I don't find it to be that hard to hit when spread throughout the year. With GCU, pretty much all my game purchases end up from Best Buy, and that includes gifts. Combine that with Black Friday sales, and diverting making purchases on Amazon to be at Best Buy since they price match, and it adds up pretty quick. Plus, if you make one major purchase for the year, it almost guarantees you make it. It's only $125 a month. Two games will easily hit that. You just need to realize it adds up over time.

I know and unfortunately the rewards for reaching that perk aren't that great? Should be better for the money your spending IMO.

Early access to sales like this and Black Friday, increased rewards points which means further discounts, free shipping with no minimum purchase, and increased return period policy isn't bad. Being done with and having everything already shipped and delivered to you before the actual Black Friday sale begins without even fighting people online for it in itself is worth it.

StereoVsn

I don't find it to be that hard to hit when spread throughout the year. With GCU, pretty much all my game purchases end up from Best Buy, and that includes gifts. Combine that with Black Friday sales, and diverting making purchases on Amazon to be at Best Buy since they price match, and it adds up pretty quick. Plus, if you make one major purchase for the year, it almost guarantees you make it. It's only $125 a month. Two games will easily hit that. You just need to realize it adds up over time.

Early access to sales like this and Black Friday, increased rewards points which means further discounts, free shipping with no minimum purchase, and increased return period policy isn't bad. Being done with and having everything already shipped and delivered to you before Black Friday without even fighting people online for it in itself is worth it.
That's exactly what I do. Now days I do most of my gaming purchases at BestBuy and usually something decent sized pops up once a year at least to boot, whether it's Christmas gifts, appliance, tablet, phone, etc.

netguy503

That's exactly what I do. Now days I do most of my gaming purchases at BestBuy and usually something decent sized pops up once a year at least to boot, whether it's Christmas gifts, appliance, tablet, phone, etc.

If I could get PSN digital codes from the Best Buy site I would have no problem reaching elite every year. It's 2016, why isn't this a option these days? They want me to give my money to Amazon. :(

Welp, debating dropping 72 on Mario Maker, Star Fox, and Yoshi. Nintendo games hardly ever drop in price, so this is especially tempting.

With GCU I essentially buy all my games for Best Buy. As even their clearance stuff gets disocunted. As a Toys To Life Collector I've spent hundreds just for those. Though I might've missed Elite Status if not for buying my sister's $500 television with my rewards card. Not sure about this year.

Yeah. The 30 day returns I better but it's standard almost everywhere a day several places have 90 day return periods.

This is probably the first time I've taken advantage of an Elite deal.

bman94

With GCU I essentially buy all my games for Best Buy. As even their clearance stuff gets disocunted. As a Toys To Life Collector I've spent hundreds just for those. Though I might've missed Elite Status if not for buying my sister's $500 television with my rewards card. Not sure about this year.

I guess it just seems like an enormous amount of money to me cause I'm not a big spender at Best Buy. I only shop there for Blu-Ray deals or Game deals if they are REALLY good (I don't have GCU). The biggest purchase I made at Best Buy in recent memory is a Yamaha keyboard that was on sale for $80-ish for black Friday 2014.

I guess it just seems like an enormous amount of money to me cause I'm not a big spender at Best Buy. I only shop there for Blu-Ray deals or Game deals if they are REALLY good (I don't have GCU). The biggest purchase I made at Best Buy in recent memory is a Yamaha keyboard that was on sale for $80-ish for black Friday 2014.

Nope when I saw that I qualified and then checked how I got depressed. You don't think you could possibly spend over $1000 on game stuff in less than a year at one store.

When it happened I felt like I had just wasted a ton of money even though most of it was insane deals.

Velcro Fly

I'm like halfway to elite this year but I bought a new laptop and so did my mom and we both put them on my best buy account thing.

jadedm17

Nope when I saw that I qualified and then checked how I got depressed. You don't think you could possibly spend over $1000 on game stuff in less than a year at one store.

When it happened I felt like I had just wasted a ton of money even though most of it was insane deals.

Ridiculous thinking: Gaming is one of the best - if not the best - value for entertainment; You can get hundreds of hours for a full retail $60 game, what else gives that return?

Location helps; I barely shopped at Best Buy in NY but I'm a mile away here in FL so I shop there for everything. GCU and my local store being awesome definitely help.

Hmmm not an elite member but the reduced prices popped up for me just now and I purchased Star Fox and Mario Maker. I am a GCU member so maybe that has an impact on when the lower prices are available? But regardless, really awesome deal from Best Buy, I've been meaning to buy both of those games.

Hmmm not an elite member but the reduced prices popped up for me just now and I purchased Star Fox and Mario Maker. I am a GCU member so maybe that has an impact on when the lower prices are available? But regardless, really awesome deal from Best Buy, I've been meaning to buy both of those games.

Elite membership just provided 24 early access. I believe these deals should now be live to all Best Buy customers.

I nearly got Elder Scrolls Online this morning but it turned out that I had placed my pickup at store order at the store in my hometown, as it defaulted to where I signed up for my Reward card years ago. I mistakenly figured it was going to pull my location from my GPS and auto set to the closest store, so that was my fault for not paying attention. Would've still bought the game at my local Best Buy but it turned out they were out of stock (go figure, this local Best Buy is garbage at having anything in stock compared to my hometown Best Buy).

I figure ESO will go back on sale for a comparable price around the time they release the new "open world" patch they talked up at E3. That was the main motivation for me picking up the game, as I've never played ESO before and kind of ignored it based on mostly mediocre impressions from others... But the talk of Tamriel becoming fully explorable at any level sounded kind of neat to me.

You're thinking about it the wrong way though. When you have a program like this or something like Amazon Prime, it changes where you buy things. Before I had Prime, I barely shopped on Amazon. After I got it I shifted my shopping to think of finding it on Amazon before looking elsewhere. The same goes for Best Buy Elite. If I think if I need something, I look at Best Buy first because it counts towards Elite status. Why buy a Blu ray or game from somewhere else when buying from Best Buy is earning towards that goal? So it's not about how you spent before, but how you shift to take advantage of it.

Well I've been holding off on Xenoblade X for a good sale. $15.00 (after tax and a $10 reward certificate) is definitely better than I expected. Now I just need to find the time to go pick it up...and play it for that matter

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I don't see Xenoblade getting any cheaper and it's the only Wii U game on the list I don't own, so I'all be picking that up tomorrow.

Sterok

Yoshi is tempting. Never was a huge fan of Yoshi, but the game is cute, and the lack of baby carrying might make it less frustrating to me.

Matticers

Just ordered Yoshi, Xenoblade Chronicles X and Star Fox for $75 with tax. I'll gladly take three Nintendo games at that price. It was really those three for $58 since I had a bit left over on a gift card.

There are a number of other nice deals aside from the Nintendo stuff too. I almost bought MGS V again for $16 but I'm waiting for that magic $10 price point.

Thoraxes

How is the interest on that thing?

Depends on your credit. Hell, you can even get a store card or a real CC from them too. It's all on your credit score. As is my rule with all credit cards, I just never leave a balance on it. I always pay my balance in full at the end of the month.

I love the 5% back in rewards coupled with the extra GCU points. Pretty much all my gaming purchases for July through October (about 6 games) are all going to be bought using RZ points.
The easy way is to get it by using the BBY MasterCard. I spent 3500 a few months into the year since I use it for all my purchases and renewed my elite plus membership pretty quickly, just like every year. In addition to the points program, it's another benefit.

Edit - to clarify, it is not a store credit card, but rather MasterCard through CitiBank I believe, but applied at through Best Buy and tied to their rewards and benefits. It's comparable to another credit card with a points or rewards program (I personally pay it off every month).
You can get a store credit card or an actual mastercard from them. They are both linked to your account though. I ended up getting a store card when I purchased Warlords of Draenor and a new monitor around black friday a couple years back, and the amount of money i've saved thanks to the points/rewards has been ridiculous.

The point banking and extra 10% points for elite is also really really nice.

bman94

You're thinking about it the wrong way though. When you have a program like this or something like Amazon Prime, it changes where you buy things. Before I had Prime, I barely shopped on Amazon. After I got it I shifted my shopping to think of finding it on Amazon before looking elsewhere. The same goes for Best Buy Elite. If I think if I need something, I look at Best Buy first because it counts towards Elite status. Why buy a Blu ray or game from somewhere else when buying from Best Buy is earning towards that goal? So it's not about how you spent before, but how you shift to take advantage of it.

To me personally I just search for the cheapest deal regardless of rewards stature. At this moment spending $1000 plus dollars at best buy seems out of reach for me but maybe they'll change when I have some steady income.

Depends on your credit. Hell, you can even get a store card or a real CC from them too. It's all on your credit score. As is my rule with all credit cards, I just never leave a balance on it. I always pay my balance in full at the end of the month.

I love the 5% back in rewards coupled with the extra GCU points. Pretty much all my gaming purchases for July through October (about 6 games) are all going to be bought using RZ points.

Never owned a credit card so I guess that means I have no credit? I asked cause I read horror stories about store credit cards having annual interest as high as 30%.

As for this deal I'm kind feeling buyers remorse lol. Just spent $12 on Comixology but damn Star Fox Zero at $30 is looking real good.

Now available for My Best Buy members, got Yoshi's Woolly World. :D

Cool.

It's funny, checking right now Mario Maker is already not available at any for over an hour around me. Xenoblade X is next in less availability, followed by Yoshi and finally Star Fox is available at all Best Buys around me for pickup.

Exactly how I would've thought that'll be.

Mr. Hyde

I might grab that $299.99 sharp TV and Yoshi. I know the cons of the TV are the refresh rate and being a roku remote but those are two things I don't mind. Plus, it would replace my 32 inch sharp LCD that is about 8 years old now.

Bump so more people can see the deals.

I'm getting buyers remorse because I got most of those games at a higher price a couple months ago and have not even opened them lol

nikos

Picked up Star Fox and Borderlands. Not sure if I'll keep the latter, but I definitely want to play Star Fox. Was on the fence about Woolly World, since I haven't finished it, but decided to pass for now.

Bought star fox and wooly world. Incredible deals going on here...

Really kicking myself since I bought super mario maker and xenox when they each launched and still haven't played either... (Although I guess xenox was the special edition)

To me personally I just search for the cheapest deal regardless of rewards stature. At this moment spending $1000 plus dollars at best buy seems out of reach for me but maybe they'll change when I have some steady income.

You don't do it at the expense of not getting the cheapest deal. You don't go to Best Buy to pay $50 for something that can be had for $20. The point is, when all things are equal, you always put Best Buy first because of the perks gained instead of just buying it instantly where you see a deal. Add in the fact that Best Buy price matches, you can usually make it the cheapest deal because of that. Add in the fact that you earn points which is like cash back, and sometimes it's actually a better deal. You have to be smart and savvy about how you shop, but looking at it from the mindset that "I rarely shop at Best Buy" isn't taking into account how you shift your purchases from one place to another because the perks and rewards earned actually gain you something over just buying it anywhere else at the same price.

FaintDeftone

I just grabbed Yoshi's Woolly World and Star Fox Zero myself. I've been looking to buy both of these games recently and glad I held off a bit. I basically bought Woolly World and got Star Fox for free.

Ordered Xenoblade Chronicles X for $15 after a $10 reward certificate. I'm currently playing through XC via Dolphin and I'm enjoying every minute of it. I'll get to XCX eventually, but hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

SatoAilDarko said:
Cool.

It's funny, checking right now Mario Maker is already not available at any store for over an hour around me. Xenoblade X is next in less availability, followed by Yoshi and finally Star Fox is available at all Best Buys around me for pickup.

Exactly how I would've thought that'll be.

13 hours later and Mario Maker is gone from any store within 250 miles with no store pickup option. I'm guessing a reshipment for next week has already been claimed by people for store pickup.

Xenoblade X surprisingly is also gone from all the stores but you can get a pickup for next Wednesday.

Yoshi shows stores that have it as having less than three copies available for pickup.

Star Fox only shows less than 3 copies at one store around me.

no wonder shipping is so fast. they just shipped it from a nearby bb store. weird that the tracking has the delivery guy's pic.

I went all in on the 'Buy a Razer Blackwidow Chroma, get a Razer Deathadder Chroma free' deal.

Love the peripherals so far. Huge upgrade from my old gear.

Top Bottom