• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked for FREE with purchase of $15 prepaid phone this week.

It worked perfectly. Did it the way the OP did. Bought that AT&T $15 phone. No activation or anything. Had them scan my reward zone card first, then the gamers club unlocked card you can find in the games section, and then the phone. Once the phone was scanned the gamers club went from $99 to 0. Even the cashier was like damn I'm buying a phone too.

I didn't know it was a 2 year membership! Thought just one. That's awesome. Thanks OP.

TomShoe

Banned
Aw shit, this is a killer deal.

CoD: AW - $48

4 years of GCU - $30

Pokemon OR/AS - $40 - 20% - $10 rewards for pre-ordering AW = $22.

That's $100 for $340 of value. Amazing.

It worked perfectly. Did it the way the OP did. Bought that AT&T $15 phone. No activation or anything. Had them scan my reward zone card first, then the gamers club unlocked card you can find in the games section, and then the phone. Once the phone was scanned the gamers club went from $99 to 0. Even the cashier was like damn I'm buying a phone too.

I didn't know it was a 2 year membership! Thought just one. That's awesome. Thanks OP.

I saw it on the other sites and just shared it, lol. Thought the deal was to good not to share it with the best gaming community...since nobody else had yet...Congrats bro, it's a great deal.

BumRush

Is this a deal from the ad or could this be cancelled when best buy realizes it's going to lose them money?

Nevermind it's in the ad

So should I be interested in this?

Only game I have left to buy this year is MCC and Forza Horizon 2. I need to buy a controller and headset adapter--does the club card help with those costs?

Of course next year there are games as well. But I'm not sure if this is worth missing out on Amazon free release day shipping and great customer service.

Only game I have left to buy this year is MCC and Forza Horizon 2. I need to buy a controller and headset adapter--does the club card help with those costs?

Of course next year there are games as well. But I'm not sure if this is worth missing out on Amazon free release day shipping and great customer service.

You'll have saved even if those were the only two games you bought in the next two years

Okay so just got back...

I guess their phone activation system is down so they couldn't sell me the phone...waste of a trip.

I kept saying I didn't need it activated or whatever but she kept insisting it needed to be activated or the register wouldn't let her sell it

Guess I'll try again tomorrow after work

Heel

Costs ~$16, you save $12 on every $60 game.

2 reward points per dollar spent, $5 gift certificate for every 250 points accumulated.

$10 reward certificate for preording just about any major game you can think of, can be used on your next purchase.

Lasts until November 2016.

That's a deal.

Okay so just got back...

I guess their phone activation system is down so they couldn't sell me the phone...waste of a trip.

I kept saying I didn't need it activated or whatever but she kept insisting it needed to be activated or the register wouldn't let her sell it

Guess I'll try again tomorrow after work

Well that sucks, they didn't give me any issues. You should have pulled out the weekly ad. This deal is in there and says prepaid phones do not need to be activated in the fine print....

But now that I think about it, the phone is "activated" in a sense when they scan it in...It makes them scan it twice at the end... This is so you can actually buy minutes for it in the future....if you want. My phone said on the box it has to be activated at the register to use, to deter theft....

So maybe it was a system issue they had making the phone "active" but I know you don't have to buy minutes or pay anything other than the price of the phone...

Well that sucks, they didn't give me any issues. You should have pulled out the weekly ad. This deal is in there and says prepaid phones do not need to be activated in the fine print....
Ya I said a few times that it didn't need to be activated and she just stared at me blankly and kept insisting she needed to activate it to sell it to me.

I'll try again tomorrow, I just hope Best Buy doesn't change this promo before then :/. You think that is possible? If so I might drive to another Best Buy lol..

Ya I said a few times that it didn't need to be activated and she just stared at me blankly and kept insisting she needed to activate it to sell it to me.

I'll try again tomorrow, I just hope Best Buy doesn't change this promo before then :/. You think that is possible? If so I might drive to another Best Buy lol..

Check my post you quoted, i edited it. This could have simply been an issue with their system.....

Costs ~$16, you save $12 on every $60 game.

2 reward points per dollar spent, $5 gift certificate for every 250 points accumulated.

$10 reward certificate for preording just about any major game you can think of, can be used on your next purchase.

Lasts until November 2016.

That's a deal.
when you pre order a new game is that also discounted with 20%?

Check my post you quoted, i edited it. This could have simply been an issue with their system.....

Oh, okay, just saw the edit! Ya, it's those barcodes on the bottom of the package that get scanned. I watched her check off the box with the "no contract" and saw the price ring up just fine with the gamers club being discounted to free and just the price of the phone, but it just wouldn't let her do the final ring up.

Okay sweet, that makes me a little less nervous. I'll check back tomorrow, I just hope Best Buy doesn't notice this workaround and changes the promo by then haha.

The one downside of GCU is that the employees never even know what the hell it is. Everytime I trade a game in, it's a drawn out affair as they scramble to find someone who does.

Heel

when you pre order a new game is that also discounted with 20%?

Yeah. I came back from the store and the membership was already applied to my account.

Looking online at something like Call of Duty, putting it in the cart rings it up as $47.99 plus tax. Free store pickup, $10 reward certificate for preordering, points towards rewards etc.

$10 preorder certificate and points can be done with their regular free membership, but it's a nice perk on top of the 20%.

Smokey

Just got back from Best Buy. I got the ATT GoPhoneZ222 NoContract Mobile that is $15. At first the employee pointed to the "Activation Required" that is mentioned in the ad, but then I showed him the fine print and all was well.

I'm good until 2018 now.

Aww yiss >:)

Thanks OP.

a0Liqlg.png

nikos

Does anyone know if my already preordered games will be marked down after joining, or do I have to cancel and preorder over again?

Also, the phone just gets activated so that you can add minutes to it, right? No additionally costs should be charged to the card.

Where's the ad that says you DON'T have to activate the phone? Because I just looked on their site and found this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/mobile-phones-promotions/null/pcmcat346200050010.c?id=pcmcat346200050010&type=category&id=pcmcat346200050010

http://deals.bestbuy.com/?category=cell+phones

Click on the little information area on the promo in the top right corner, it will be the last line there
"Offer includes No Contract phones without activation needed."

Okay so lemme see if i get this right.

Go to Best Buy and get the GCU card
Get 15$ prepaid phone no need to add minutes

Scan reward zone
Scan GCU
Scan Phone

Badabibg badaboom im done?

Aww yiss >:)

Thanks OP.

a0Liqlg.png

Woohoo! Did it go pretty simple? Glad to see it worked. Now start looking at titles you want in the next year.

Here is a link to games at Best Buy that get you a $10 Rewards Gift Card if you preorder and pick up in store within 7 days of release. With the GCU deal getting the price down to $48, if you preorder these titles, the $10 Rewards Gift Card gets the price down to $38. Thats a great deal for brand new titles.

Ass Creed Unity
Batman Arkham Knight
Battlefield Hardline
COD Advanced Warfare (you need to preorder this by Midnight Tonight)
Dying Light
Elder Scrolls Online
Evolve
Far Cry 4
Grand Theft Auto Remaster
Halo 5 Guardians
Halo MCC
The Witcher 3

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/games-p...10/pcmcat308100050002.c?id=pcmcat308100050002

I just came back with no issue to be had at Bestbuy. I bought the AT&T phone for $15.

Walked out paying only $16.04 tax included.

Top Bottom