• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked for FREE with purchase of $15 prepaid phone this week.

galvatron

Got another price matched LG 440G over lunch today with another radio shack $5 price match. I'm good until 2020 on GCU.

zarnold56

Does this work if you don't have a reward zone card to start with? I don't think I ever got one as I rarely shop at best buy.

hew9753

Got one this afternoon for $7. Should it upgrade my Best Buy account to Gamer Club automatically when they scan the card at checkout? I don't see it on my account on their website. Does it just take a while to update online?

galvatron

Got one this afternoon for $7. Should it upgrade my Best Buy account to Gamer Club automatically when they scan the card at checkout? I don't see it on my account on their website. Does it just take a while to update online?

It might take a little while to update, but they also mentioned linking your rewards account to your bestbuy.com account. I had to do that to see the GCU show up in my account details since I set up both accounts separately ages ago.

bebop242

holy crap at the net10 things working. I did the $20 phone deal the other day, considering getting 2 of these activation cards and extending it another 4 years. RIP Gamestop.

zarnold56

The 20% off new game purchases I assume is for all games bought brand new and not just new releases right? Like I could buy Wolfenstein from them if it was on sale and still get the 20% off correct?

bebop242

The 20% off new game purchases I assume is for all games bought brand new and not just new releases right? Like I could buy Wolfenstein from them if it was on sale and still get the 20% off correct?

correct

Edit: The only way you don't get the 20% is if you do a price match with Amazon or anywhere else

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Reading OP, but still confused, is there an updated guide to doing this? Does the net10 thing still work? And if so how do you approach it?

mi6fSGTdCqgtxMVGm57eFvw.jpg

Good lord this works! I just got two. I was going to clean them out, but decided to leave a couple for others. Donated to St. Jude's, and now I'm good till 2020! Ahahahahhaha!

Arttemis

Registered for rewards, it only took 60 seconds.

Bought two net10 cards for $14.87, got 4 years of GCU at no additional cost. Donated $5 to St. Jude all in the same transaction.

So nice!!

Just went to my local bestbuy to purchase 3 of the net 10 wireless activation kits and the girl behind the register wouldn't let me do it. She told me the promo is 1 per rewards card, So ok i was gonna settle for just the one. Then she rung up the activation kit for 6.99 and i was being charged 99 dollars for the gamers club membership. She told me the promo only works for phones and not sim cards.So, I price matched some crappy t-mobile phone for 9.99 and walked out. I'm kinda upset i couldn't stack just 1 more. This is the bestbuy in baldwin, NY. Might try another bestbuy tommorow and see if I can stack another 2 years.

Just got 2 of the Activiaton kits myself and because of the Best Buy Mystery Holiday rewards give away to all My Bestbuy rewards members I had $5 of rewards certificates to burn before the 11th.

Total for both came just shy of $10 after using the rewards certificate and with having done 2 previous deals like this in the last couple of days, I'm set for a while :D

15718377991_5b9a70a896_n.jpg

Does the GCU card need to be scanned twice if you are say getting two Net 10 cards?

thanks-!

When I just did it like 15 minutes ago, the cashier told me it had to be done in two separate transactions which to be honest I'm not really sure is true but it worked out fine in any case so I didn't really complain.

As per your question, yes I'm 98% positive the barcode on the GCU card will have to be scanned twice to indicate two purchases of 2 years of GCU. I grabbed two of the cards myself but it doesn't really matter as the barcodes on them are all the same

Toki767

Just got 2 of the Activiaton kits myself and because of the Best Buy Mystery Holiday rewards give away to all My Bestbuy rewards members I had $5 of rewards certificates to burn before the 11th.

Total for both came just shy of $10 after using the rewards certificate and with having done 2 previous deals like this in the last couple of days, I'm set for a while :D

15718377991_5b9a70a896_n.jpg
2022 lol.

So sad if Best Buy isn't around by then.

ev0

When I just did it like 15 minutes ago, the cashier told me it had to be done in two separate transactions which to be honest I'm not really sure is true but it worked out fine in any case so I didn't really complain.

As per your question, yes I'm 98% positive the barcode on the GCU card will have to be scanned twice to indicate two purchases of 2 years of GCU. I grabbed two of the cards myself but it doesn't really matter as the barcodes on them are all the same

Awesome, thanks for the info! Now to hope it all goes smooth at my Best Buy haha.

2022 lol.

So sad if Best Buy isn't around by then.

lol yeah a bit overkill but I seriously doubt GCU will ever be had for this cheap again

I mean I spent ~$30 [not including a $5 donation to St. Judes] for 8 years of GCU which would normally cost $400. If I buy 3 $60 games from Best Buy in the next 8 years, I'll have made all my money back and then some. Plus Best Buy's "Get $10 in Reward certificates for pre-ordering and buying certain games" is pretty sweet combined with GCU

I'm pretty ecstatic about the whole thing

Everyone's got pictures like these, but when I go to my account I don't see an expiration date above the "club benefits." Maybe I'm still in processing?

Hmm that's odd, I guess it's still likely to be processing? Maybe contact Best Buy support and see what they say? I've seen one that went as far as 2034 so I don't think there's some arbitrary cutoff within the system itself

E92 M3

I bought the activation kit for another 2 years. Have 4 years now and think it's worth it. Who knows what life will be like in 4 years...

BreakJohn

bought the net10 7.99 activation plan and got my GCU this afternoon. after reading everyone here double dipping on this deal i almost feel like buying another one to have 4 years lol. does it stack automatically? im guessing it does.

bought the net10 7.99 activation plan and got my GCU this afternoon. after reading everyone here double dipping on this deal i almost feel like buying another one to have 4 years lol. does it stack automatically? im guessing it does.

Yep it automatically stacks on top of whatever time left you already have. Basically just extends your current membership period

Joei

I went to Best Buy today and returned the 15$ ATT phone I got and decided to try and get one of the activation cards. Well, they didn't have the one someone linked for 7$, but the associate said, "I can price match one of the others for 7$." Plus, I had a 5$ reward certificate that expires next Tuesday from the holiday special. So, two more years cost me $1.99 + tax, lol. I've spent a total of 12$ for 6 years of GCU. I was considering getting another card or the last LG phone they had, but I'm content with GCU till 2020.

$6.99 Sim card thing worked. May pop in an extend for another 2 years this weekend.

Keep in mind that this special is for this week. So it should end Saturday, unless they offer it again on next weeks ad or in a future ad.

Note for people that may return phones. I returned one of the them, as I said above, but it doesn't seem that the first two years of GCU came off my account. I know a lot of times with specials, you lose one if you return an item that gave you that special, and I did mention at the Customer Service desk that I didn't want to be charged 100$ for GCU since I was returning the phone, they stated I wouldn't, but it doesn't seem that those 2 years came off my account, so for the time being I have GCU until 2022

fade_

Everyone's got pictures like these, but when I go to my account I don't see an expiration date above the "club benefits." Maybe I'm still in processing?

Mine doesn't either. It did give me the expiration date in the welcome email though.

I went to Best Buy today and returned the 15$ ATT phone I got and decided to try and get one of the activation cards. Well, they didn't have the one someone linked for 7$, but the associate said, "I can price match one of the others for 7$." Plus, I had a 5$ reward certificate that expires next Tuesday from the holiday special. So, two more years cost me $1.99 + tax, lol. I've spent a total of 12$ for 6 years of GCU. I was considering getting another card or the last LG phone they had, but I'm content with GCU till 2020.

How did that return go exactly? GCU is non-refundable and non-returnable. All the receipts I have and the small print on the ad states that breaking the bundle up by returning the phone results in the full price of the GCU being charged to your account or at least that's how I read the small print

Joei

How did that return go exactly? GCU is non-refundable and non-returnable. All the receipts I have and the small print on the ad states that breaking the bundle up by returning the phone results in the full price of the GCU being charged to your account or at least that's how I read the small print

It went pretty easily, as easy as any return would go I guess, and I mentioned that I wanted to return the special, as I stated in my edited post, and the guy said he returned it, but again, it's not showing that those 2 years are removed from my profile.

It went pretty easily, as easy as any return would go I guess, and I mentioned that I wanted to return the special, as I stated in my edited post, and the guy said he returned it, but again, it's not showing that those 2 years are removed from my profile.

Cool, hopefully you are just lucky then and don't get charged for it. I also got the $15 AT&T phone but I think I'll just play it safe and keep it

Flandy

Could be that it just takes a while to update. I think the points thing said it only updates every 15 days so this could be the same?

Top Bottom