• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best world map in a game.

wapplew

Nino Kuni best in presentation, art and music both best in biz, level design a little lacking, not enough layers or secrets.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I can't believe no one has said Xenoblade Chronicles, which had the coolest world map ever.

Not only you are not a giant, which I guess was a technical necessity in pre CD ROM games, but the world are two giant robots freezed for eternity in battle. Not only monsters are visible, but they form communities and interact with the world and each other.

It's the first time I've played a RPG that the world felt real, and I've been playing this games since the NES.

I honestly don't understand the love for old world maps, they were serviceable, in the same way Quest 64 world map was, but except a few exceptions, they were just bad.

I'll mention Terranigma's first part hollow Earth world map, because that was insanely cool.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Ni No Kuni

https://youtu.be/ydcRR1S7uBk?t=37s

Easily one of my favourites, great music and a cool overworld.

25579-10jpg-png.png

ni-no-kuni-review3.jpg

This right here.

Roubjon

I disagree. That's the equivalent of having to label the Beatles in a music thread.

If you can't identify the Beatles (or FFVI) maybe the thread isn't for you.

Get off your high horse, holy shit. Damn guess I really don't like JRPGs because I can't recognize the Final Fantasy VI world map. Thanks for letting me know.

The DKC games always nailed the maps. DKC 3's map was actually the most memorable IMO. Lots of interaction and great music.

Yeah definitely. I haven't played DKC 3 in probably over 10 years and yet I can easily remember how cool that overworld was.

Pinky

Banned
Dragon Warrior - The very first RPG I ever played. Traveling around Alefgard brings back so many fond memories.

Final Fantasy VI - Love walking/flying around the world in Mode 7.

Secret of Mana - There's no walking on the actual map, but traveling via a cannon or flying around the world on Flammie is great fun.

Chrono Trigger - Beautiful/charming world which changes depending on the year you're in.

Final Fantasy VII - Replaying this right now on PS4 and I'm still impressed by the world. Back in the day, traversing a world map in full-blown 3D blew my mind. Granted, the pop-in is horrendous, but forgivable for the time. ;)

I always thought the Tales games really killed it with their world maps. Lot of neat little secrets to find. Vesperia felt like a nice culmination of them, plus the way the world map altered in the last third or so of the game was incredible looking. They should have stuck with that formula of design for a while longer.

Final Fantasy VII's got a spot in my heart for all the neat stuff it does with the map. The desert area surrounding Midgar, the many hidden and optional encounters and locations, little things like the Midgar Zolom being an early game hazard. They added a lot to the feel of the game and the journey itself.

Also Dragon Quest VII's just for how it plays in with the gameplay. Exploring parts of the world that you revived was a great experience.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
CjhP4Vg.png

If nothing else, Chrono Cross's world maps are amazing just for their music.

OnFire331

Surprised that the FFIX world map hasn't been mentioned yet. Chocograph hunting alone should shoot it up to the top of your list.

ffixchocographlocal5.png

ffixchocographlocal11.png

ffixchocographlocal14.png

epmode

∀ Narayan;209547544 said:
Skies of Arcadia

I really loved those walls of floating rocks! And the air currents that required ship upgrades to withstand! And going
beneath the clouds
!

Give me a definitive release on modern consoles/PC pls.

jett

D-Member
I think FFVII's is actually my favorite. Just felt so massive at the time heh, and I remember most of the world. Ni No Kuni is also up there.

Worst is definitely

0bFYKoVh.jpg

This is an abomination.

Although looking at the mini-map makes me sad how I've forgotten most of FFVI's world map. I barely really recognize it.

Toth

Surprised that the FFIX world map hasn't been mentioned yet. Chocograph hunting alone should shoot it up to the top of your list.

ffixchocographlocal5.png

ffixchocographlocal11.png

ffixchocographlocal14.png

It's unfortunate that two of the four continents have so few locations to explore. The lack of towns (save for the one behind the waterfall) and explorable shrines made the lands feel too empty.

Games should always be labeled in threads like this. Can't assume that everyone has played everything, no matter how popular it is.

Right click, search image in Google, "Best guess for this image: final fantasy 6 cultists tower". Took all of 2 seconds.

I always liked Donkey Kong Country 3's map. Had a good sense of place.

Rpcv8w8.gif

guCE6yy.png

L19H3Rr.png

2k86xI9.gif

Good call. Added an RPG-esque exploration factor above the platforming. Having to upgrade your boat to get to different destinations and discovering secrets was fantastic. Always preferred DKC3 over DKC2

I guess the key difference here is people didn't grow up with the ios version?
The IOS version merges together three very average art styles that clash terribly. The sprites also look God awful. FF6 snes isn't the best looking game on the system but it looks so much better than the mobile port.

Also you used an emulated shot which makes any 2D game look bad.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I've always loved the world maps in the Suikoden series. Specifically 1 and 2. I thought the environments and music were always great.

Definitely going to go with Final Fantasy VII and VIII's world maps. I love how much hidden/optional stuff (especially in the latter) can be found just by dicking around on the world map.

I love that VII's map in particular went beyond being a visual indicator of moving from Point A to Point B and had meaningful things implemented into it, like the Diamond Weapon boss fight or being able to possibly fight and recruit Yuffie if you fought in forests around Junon.

Breath of Fire III, Skies of Arcadia and Tales of Vesperia are good picks, too.

Piers

The Elder Scrolls series, primarily due to how fascinating it is to pinpoint various landmarks and even minor locations from the entire world map itself.

Like Cyrodil's imperial city has such a distinct circular island. Or Morrowwind's big volcano.

linkboy

These maps from A Link to the Past are the best maps Nintendo has made for a Zelda game. Two over worlds that are similar, but still have their differences.

They're also chock full of secrets, something Nintendo forgot to do with the later games in the series (hoping Breath of the Wild fixes that).

Final Fantasy VII
A Link to the Past
Chrono Trigger

I also have a soft spot for Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior 1's overworld. It was my first JRPG overworld ever (first overworld on any genre ever was Zelda 1.)

sasliquid

Damn this thread just makes me wish Chrono Cross was available on the EU psn or Secret of Mana was available on the new 3ds

Edit: I'll second Dragon Quest 8 tho, felt really special the first time I played it, I also really like the maps of FF5

Top Bottom