• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda responds to Prey 2 cancellation

Notice the game wasn't what they wanted. What about the fans? It was what I wanted. My money was ready to be given. Same BS happened to Rainbow 6 Patriots. They thought we didn't want the game. Thanks for making up our minds for us (sarcasm)

If it's being published by a large publisher, it's never about what you want.

tuxfool

Banned
They could probaby hire a team to finish the job so as to release the game (like gearbox's Duke Nuken Forever) and under a different name so that it does not conflicts with their Prey 2017 game but I doubt they will do it.

They can't.

I wish I could source it but I remember reading that HH would sue if Bethesda attempted to use anything related to their work on Prey 2.

Not always because it could have been a huge gamble for them and that one choice was made out of fear that they'd risk their own asses. It was a bad move because the game looked promising. With what was marketed already, they could have guaranteed a pretty figure IMO. They probably thought it would have competed too closely with Assassin's Creed and Cod.
They were withholding payment for reaching milestones, at the same time offering a loan with burdensome terms. This is very clearly them pushing the developer to sell out, not that they were unhappy with the game. They had previously offered to buy HH straight, but that offer was rejected. These actions are transparent.

gafneo

Banned
They can't.

I wish I could source it but I remember reading that HH would sue if Bethesda attempted to use anything related to their work on Prey 2.

They were withholding payment for reaching milestones, at the same time offering a loan with burdensome terms. This is very clearly them pushing the developer to sell out, not that they were unhappy with the game. They had previously offered to buy HH straight, but that offer was rejected. These actions are transparent.

So really Bethesda wanted to buy Human Head and they rejected, so Bethesda cancelled their game and sent them sailing? If the company needed financials to survive even independently, why didn't they take the offer? Maybe they didn't expect Prey 2 to be cancelled as it was almost done?

:(

Both parties were a bit concerned about the confusion that brand shift would cause, particularly if Arkane's title was as complete a departure from the original as they had described. There wasn't a focus on Native American identity and mythology, no gravity-shifting puzzles — "we don't have vagina doors," Hines joked. Ultimately, Arkane was told not to shoehorn in aspects of Prey or its canceled sequel, market confusion be damned.
Yup, not even surprised they want to be as far away from Prey's identity which is why they should have let Arkane market it as a SS type game rather than have to tie it with a controversial history.
I've got a handy tip for Pete Hines if he doesn't want to keep on bringing up the drama. Don't call the new game Prey. Just let Arkane Austin treat it as a System Shock spiritual successor.

gafneo

Banned
Yup, not even surprised they want to be as far away from Prey's identity which is why they should have let Arkane market it as a SS type game rather than have to tie it with a controversial history.

Yeah, they are definitely better off changing the title. It's just going to carry an endless cycle of confusion. If they are purposely trying to distance themselves from every aspect that was Prey, calling the thing Prey is the worst thing they could do.

Jarmel

Banned
Tbf this criticism about Prey 2017 being a Prey game only in name and being more of an offshoot, also applied to Human Head's Prey 2.

Well they did mention that there were a ton of references to the original game and that Tommy was supposed to show up at some point. So it was more like a spinoff initially but then started to tie more heavily into the original the further you got into the narrative. Also the main character of Prey 2 was tied to the opening event of Prey 1, with the plane crash.

So really Bethesda wanted to buy Human Head and they rejected, so Bethesda cancelled their game and sent them sailing? If the company needed financials to survive even independently, why didn't they take the offer? Maybe they didn't expect Prey 2 to be cancelled as it was almost done?

There hasn't been a detailed interview asking why Human Head didn't cave but it could have been that as you mentioned, they were close to finishing so they thought Zenimax would pony up. Or it could have just been ego in that they didn't want to sell out.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I don't believe a conspiracy theory about buyouts is more likely than a game simply not shaping up to be of high enough quality to justify further investment. If I was in business and asked to invest hundreds of thousands, potentially millions, into a product that wasn't shaping up as hoped, I'd get cold feet and consider pulling the plug too if things didn't turn around quickly.

But sure, if you'd rather create ANOTHER conspiracy theory and assume I must be a Bethesda employee, I guess that fits in with this thread and its believers pretty well.
I can't comment specifically on the Bethesda issue as I'm not privy to any details, but as a 21 year veteran of games development I can tell you that the described scenario and behaviour actually is commonplace.

ymgve

Would be interesting if someone leaked the latest build of Prey 2, though I guess no one at HH would want to bring down the wrath of Bethesda Legal.

I'm not going to punish Arkane for actions of their parent company, of which they were most probably victims of themselves.

Nah, just F that 20 minute board meeting that made one idiot think he was smart for cancelling a good game. Bethesda as a company has given us Doom, Wolfenstien, Fallout, Skyrim, Evil Within, and now Quake.

Oh, so you must have been a developer on the game?

What else can you tell us about the "20 minute board meeting" regarding this game you clearly played to completion before it ever got the opportunity to release?

I assume you played it prior to it disappearing off the face of the earth before ultimately being cancelled?

As a fan of what I actually saw of the game, I legit want to know how good this game was going to be and you clearly seem to be the only person that can answer this.

tuxfool

Banned

Just go ask Obsidian what happens when a publisher cancels an ongoing project on an independent studio.

IIRC the initial buyout proposal was before the project got started. Bethesda then greenlights Prey 2 and HH thinks all is cool, until Bethesda pulls the rug out under them.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I can't comment specifically on the Bethesda issue as I'm not privy to any details, but as a 21 year veteran of games development I can tell you that the described scenario and behaviour actually is commonplace.

It is ALL too commonplace.

Well, this is shitty. Even though there are several great development studios under Bethesda's name that I don't want to suffer, I'm still taking a stance, right now, that I will no longer purchase games with Bethesda's name on it, unless they are either on sale for $15 or less, or I'm able to get them for free through a giveaway or something. I understand that this is "how business works", but even so, I don't want to support business continuing to function this way. This is disgusting and shameful.

As the people who buy these games, we need to start standing up and telling greedy publishers that their actions are abhorrent and won't be supported. I know that, as one person, I don't really make a difference, but perhaps if we could get people to unite and loudly proclaim that this isn't okay, I bet we could see some change. Maybe we'd see more new ideas in the mix as well. It's win-win.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It was a great concept and awesome setting and hell, I still think it was a lot better than what we end up seeing in new Prey. I just hope that something cool will eventually come out of this idea. Bethesda just need to find the right devs to make it happen.

Maniac

Banned
I don't believe a conspiracy theory about buyouts is more likely than a game simply not shaping up to be of high enough quality to justify further investment. If I was in business and asked to invest hundreds of thousands, potentially millions, into a product that wasn't shaping up as hoped, I'd get cold feet and consider pulling the plug too if things didn't turn around quickly.

But sure, if you'd rather create ANOTHER conspiracy theory and assume I must be a Bethesda employee, I guess that fits in with this thread and its believers pretty well.
You're either a fanboy blinded by twinkling lights, or entirely unable or unwilling to actually read the source material. And the evidence. And the precedence.

Either way I envy the little world you've made in your own special bubble; I'd like to be there, it sounds like a much less shittier world than the one the rest of us share.

Jinroh

If the game was that far advanced I'm surprised no one has ever leaked a build yet. I just wish we had access to more material.

Industry veteran Lorne Lanning on hostile takeovers:

I wonder who Fargo was referencing here?

Another one from Fargo:

And as for it it being a rumor that Bethesda was looking to acquire studios around 2010-2011, this Games Industry article suggests otherwise.

This really sucks, I genuinely love Hunted. It's a bit rough around the edges but it's a really cool gears style Co op fantasy action game. And the fact we will never get a sequel sucks ass. Dammit Bethesda

nOoblet16

That's not what happened.
Bethesda offered to buy in before Prey 2, HH rejected but they started working on Prey 2.
Bethesda then tried to bankrupt HH via milestone abuse, withholding payments etc and then tried to buy them off for cheap. HH rejected that because like before it would have meant losing their independence, but unlike before they now knew that they would be losing their independence to scummy publishers.

They may have had financial problems but atleast HH still exists as an independent studio even today. They are small time and Prey 2 would have made them big shots but such is the way events turn the tide of life.

That's not what happened.
Bethesda offered to buy in before Prey 2, HH rejected but they started working on Prey 2.
Bethesda then tried to bankrupt HH via milestone abuse, withholding payments etc and then tried to buy them off for cheap. HH rejected that because like before it would have meant losing their independence, but unlike before they now knew that they would be losing their independence to scummy publishers.

They may have had financial problems but atleast HH still exists as an independent studio even today. They are small time and Prey 2 would have made them big shots but such is the way events turn the tide of life.

To add to this, it's important to remember why Human Head exists in the first place. After Activision acquired Raven in 1997, many of the most senior staff refused to go along with the acquisition and left to form Human Head. They have been independent ever since so being acquired again was never really part of their plans, financial considerations or not.

tuxfool

Banned
Dunno about that. If they can pull off a spiritual sequel to System Shock, that's pretty fucking great on it's own.

It looks like a poor clone of system shock with more expensive production. Personally I prefer to wait for the real sequel.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Fuck you Bethesda, seriously. Prey 2 looked fantastic and had an amazing showing, they knew, everyone knew. I'm glad I haven't spent a dime on any of their recent games in recent years and doubt I will.

Thanks to everyone for keeping the facts about Bethesda alive.

Yeah, seriously. I've known about Bethesda's shitty business practices for a while, and make a point of telling as many people as possible about them. It's a shame to see the company being so highly loved when they're doing more deliberate damage to good developers than any other AAA publisher.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Surprised to see people who didn't know about this or are actively defending Bethesda.

"Shit happens".

Sure, "the marriage went bad". If by marriage gone bad you mean that you were the abusing husband, and you finally killed your third or fourth wife's love, taking the best years of her life, and leaving her scarred for life, just so she doesn't do anything unless it's under your "care".

Doubt Human Head will ever be able to make AAA games again after Bethesda, not to mention I can't remember if people lost their jobs over this, potentially ruining lives. You might as well have being silent on this, Hines. It just makes you and your company look like asses.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Why would they try to buy them out?

Wow. This practice is disgusting, and it's insane that they can get away with it. How can it be legal to force a dev team to work for you without paying them based on a system with absolutely no accountability for the publisher?

Nuke Soda

Always fun to see when the revelation that Bethesda are massive scumbags hits people for the first time. Used to think of them as a cool company until I joined gaf.

Az987

all good things
Shouldn't there be a way to protect yourself from this if you're a developer? Are the contracts that vague that they can just change them on the fly and not break them?

Averon

Shouldn't their be a way to protect yourself from this if you're a developer? Are the contracts that vague that they can just change them on the fly and not break them?

I imagine a lot developer do not have the resources to fight a drawn out legal battle against publishers.

Wow. This practice is disgusting, and it's insane that they can get away with it. How can it be legal to force a dev team to work for you without paying them based on a system with absolutely no accountability for the publisher?

It doesn't really matter all that much whether it's legal or not. At the moment Bethesda stops paying a developer, the ticking clock starts. That developer will typically not have the time to pursue the matter through the courts because they'd go bankrupt first. They're essentially given a choice between:

1) See the company they've created fall apart permanently.
2) Sell the company to Bethesda.

I would assume the sales contract they are eventually forced to sign includes some kind of clause that prevents them from taking the case to court.

Yeah, it really is that shitty.

Mr. Tibbs

Lots of bad folks at Zenimax and Bethesda.
1wdkei.png

8ffDULL.png

http://3wirel.lostsig.com/2016/08/06/the-long-story-of-prey-2s-development-the-darkside-of-bethesda/

A-V-B

It doesn't really matter all that much whether it's legal or not. At the moment Bethesda stops paying a developer, the ticking clock starts. That developer will typically not have the time to pursue the matter through the courts because they'd go bankrupt first. They're essentially given a choice between:

1) See the company they've created fall apart permanently.
2) Sell the company to Bethesda.

I would assume the sales contract they are eventually forced to sign includes some kind of clause that prevents them from taking the case to court.

Yeah, it really is that shitty.

Just a stray thought, but I wonder if game devs have ever thought about unionizing.

Mr. Tibbs

Its nuts how my piece got linked on Gaf :D! Its such a shame that the article covered such a toxic situation :(.
Great article! Even though Pete Hines superficially dismissed it as "nonsense," the fact that both current and former HH staffers retweeted it speaks volumes. Norm Nazaroff (Proletariat), Brian Karis (Epic), Ryan Smith (HH), Shane Newton (HH), Nathan Cheever (Hangar 13), Steven Dunn (HH).

Hines admission to Gamespot that he wants Human Head to do well and the faux-empathetic touch of calling to check on Chris Rhinehart's well-being is manipulative posturing and down-right cruel. In an earlier rebuttal to IGN's milestone story, he said similar things and implied that co-founders like Chris Rhinehart felt differently about the state of the game than those who contacted the press in the hopes of setting the story straight. I can assure you Chris Rhinehart thinks Prey 2 is and was an awesome game.

As an aside, while project lead on the first Prey, Chris took on the task of designing the portal system by himself and succeeded because he's a maverick talented programmer. On Prey 2, the co-founders (been together since the Hexen days) were still contributing to art, design, and programming. Their CEO, Paul MacArthur, was co-leading the tech with Brian Karis, James Sumwalt was in charge of art with Randy Redetzke and so on. Founders don't typically get their hands dirty with the day-to-day development duties.

RK128

Great article! Even though Pete Hines superficially dismissed it as "nonsense," the fact that both current and former HH staffers retweeted it speaks volumes. Norm Nazaroff (Proletariat), Brian Karis (Epic), Ryan Smith (HH), Shane Newton (HH), Nathan Cheever (Hangar 13), Steven Dunn (HH).

Hines admission to Gamespot that he wants Human Head to do well and the faux-empathetic touch of calling to check on Chris Rhinehart's well-being is manipulative posturing and down-right cruel. In an earlier rebuttal to IGN's milestone story, he said similar things and implied that co-founders like Chris Rhinehart felt differently about the state of the game than those who contacted the press in the hopes of setting the story straight. I can assure you Chris Rhinehart thinks Prey 2 is and was an awesome game.

As an aside, while project lead on the first Prey, Chris took on the task of designing the portal system by himself and succeeded because he's a maverick talented programmer. On Prey 2, the co-founders (been together since the Hexen days) were still contributing to art, design, and programming. Their CEO, Paul MacArthur, was co-leading the tech with Brian Karis, James Sumwalt was in charge of art with Randy Redetzke and so on. Founders don't typically get their hands dirty with the day-to-day development duties.

Could you link to me Bethesdia's response to the article? I tried looking for it but couldn't find that anywhere.....

But thank YOU for all the information you shared on Gaf on the game! Learning more about the milestone goals was really great and I'm so happy my article touched both many gamers and even the developers on the proejct.

Gattsu25

Banned

Fantastic summary of the whole situation. I had actually forgotten most of this :\

I remember around the time of the delays/cancellation this all coming out and being shocked, only to then hear that it's Business As Usual in the games' industry. The only thing atypical about this situation was that Human Head survived.

Top Bottom