• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda: "The time for convincing pubs and devs to support Wii U has long past"

Yes let's put our best teams on an exclusive title for a console that is struggling and has historically been more difficult to penetrate then our alternatives.....because, why again???

I wasn't saying they should bring exclusives to Wii U - obviously that wouldn't make sense. But the industry doesn't benefit from third parties watching Wii U sinking into the sand - it really doesn't benefit anyone.

When publishers start crying in 5 years time because everything is being bought through Steam, or through iTunes or Google Play they'll only have themselves to blame.

FyreWulff

To be fair Bethseda probably couldnt live up to Nintendo Quality assurance on their core products. Shovelware is easy to make bug free.

Nintendo would pass out at how buggy the shit bethseda puts out

There's no need to do this. The Legendary patch did in fact patch a ton of bugs, but this is also part and parcel of having an open-ended game. You have so many moving parts, it's just a mathematical reality that some wheels will fall off.

baphomet

Don't blame them one bit. It's like Nintendo just expected everyone to develop games for the Wii U just because they put the system out.

Shahed

What I find telling is how he states that Sony and Microsoft appraoched them for their input earlier to know what kind stuff they wanted. Nintendo never did.

If the same is true of other parties it goes a long way to show why Nintendo has a poor relationship with them

BigDug13

I get that Nintendo doesn't want to compete on the tech front anymore, but multiplatform developers simply don't make very many exclusive games anymore.

And coming out with a machine that has the gaming capability barely above the 360/PS3 and behind PC capability by at least 5 years while simultaneously having a "not as easy architecture" as the other next gen powerful machines and expecting third parties to shit out exclusive content for a system that is not selling or to port next-gen games backwards by 5 years of tech to try to squeeze next gen games into your system....

It's just a recipe for disaster IMO. And the fact that Nintendo has never really been strong in their relationships with third parties only exacerbates the issue as Bethesda highlighted. Microsoft and Sony talk to them. Other developers have had similar stories of "Nintendo just doesn't talk to us much".

3rd parties on Wii U before and just after launch: We need to wait to see how it sells before we can put any games on it.

3rd parties 10 months later on Wii U: We weren't there from the beginning so there's no point in supporting the Wii U now.

Jonm1010

Banned
And yet many companies then go ahead and spend millions on games like Lost Planet 3 for these "established markets".
I just can't trust publishers anymore to make actual and rational decisions.
Well they are being rational with the wiiU tight now. So you need to give them credit there.

But no one is saying that publishers or developers are always right. They do however have basic structures of decision making they follow even if the conclusions they come to and the subsequent action and result ends up being a failure. Putting a lot of effort into a poor selling console with a sketchy historical success rate with a company that does the bare minimum to attract your business and establish a consumer base that is receptive to your business strategies, models and recent creative output isn't exactly sound business.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What I find telling is how he states that Sony and Microsoft appraoched them for their input earlier to know what kind stuff they wanted. Nintendo never did.

If the same is true of other parties it goes a long way to show why Nintendo has a poor relationship with them

I'm sure Sony did approach them. Must be the reason why Bethesda managed the split memory pool of the PS3 so well when compared to other developers

Nosgoroth

Oh, I see, so Bethesda doesn't plan on developing for Wii U, then.

Good to know, I was wondering if things had changed since two months ago.

No I wasn't.

btrboyev

Can't blame them. Their vision would be crippled on WiiU.

Hardware specs should never stop developers from being creative. What these developers fail to understand is they don't need to make the same games that are on competing platforms. Actually it's one of the main problems in the business to begin with. Publishers have stopped taking risks with developing original content based on a platforms strengths.

Shahed

Could it be a cultural thing? I don't see how they can do so well on Japanese devs on handhelds but so bad at consoles on the whole. Is it a lack of serious opposition in the handheld space?
I'm sure Sony did approach them. Must be the reason why Bethesda managed the split memory pool of the PS3 so well when compared to other developers
Well we all know the disaster PS3 was early on and the architectural issues it has. I wouldn't be surprised Sony didn't approach them or if they did thought they knew better. We can see how that turned out. Hence why Sony keeps on reiterating how much they talked with 3rd parties for the PS4 launch. They make a big show of how they are learning from the mistakes of the PS3

Jonm1010

Banned
I wasn't saying they should bring exclusives to Wii U - obviously that wouldn't make sense. But the industry doesn't benefit from third parties watching Wii U sinking into the sand - it really doesn't benefit anyone.

When publishers start crying in 5 years time because everything is being bought through Steam, or through iTunes or Google Play they'll only have themselves to blame.

It also makes less sense to bury millions and millions of dollars and the oppurtunity costs that go with it to try and prop up a failing platform that based on recent trends does not contain many unique supporters that will A.) buy their games and B.) would not and do not plan to buy them on another platform if the wiiU version doesn't exist.

It's chasing good money after bad and its a quick way to lose your job. And I'm not sure why supporting Nintendo is magically going to stop the overall market trends in gaming. Not to mention lots of companies big and small are doing incredible in this market. How many iOS developers have hit it big thanks to the medium in just the last 5 years? How many indies has steam vaulted to stardom? Xbla or psn?

I think you are way overvaluing Nintendo's effect on publishers success. In fact I'm not sure how you even conclude tht Nintendo's existence is deeply helping them in the first place? The DS maybe?

Deband

Can't blame them. Their vision would be crippled on WiiU.

To be fair they seem quite competent of failing their vision on the other two consoles. In fact I'd go as far as to say their games only really get great when left in modders hands for about a year.

I know we get updates about Wii U development from Bethesda every month but come on, it's only the second day of this month!

I get what the dude is saying though, basically any third party that's not on the console now will probably not be on it in the foreseeable future (unless lol moneyhat)

Yeah what I got from this article was him saying that if Nintendo is not willing to moneyhat these developers then support on the Wii U is a no go

Hrothgar

Yes! I was waiting for the monthly "Bethesda: we are not making games for WiiU" thread. September redeemed.

:p

Gamerloid

Well we knew they weren't going to develop for the Wii U already. What's new is the detail he went into though, about how they want to be involved in the design of the console. Nintendo needs to get in touch with devs when creating the console instead of having the Wii U made, and then trying to show them how revolutionary it is.

When your console is developer approved, there's no more questions of if you'll be able to run the game, if they'll try supporting your consoles, and if you'll be getting multiplats. Nintendo is out of touch with developers and they need to fix this.

Yeah what I got from this article was him saying that if Nintendo is not willing to moneyhat these developers then support on the Wii U is a no go

It's not money hatting, it's getting them involved in the process. Getting to them early on. Sony and MS both do this. They both question 3rd party pubs and devs and take their opinions into account when creating a new piece of hardware because, surprise surprise motherfuckers, third parties are kind of important. This leads to things like an improved Dual Shock 4, which came about thanks to input from both 2nd and 3rd party developers. Do you think Nintendo would ever listen to an outside opinion on how to design the GamePad? Like Hines said, they just put out the box and expect everyone to create games for it like it's still 1993.

AzaK

That was brilliant. He wasn't a dick about it, he was just honest about his experiences. From what he said it seems Nintendo does their own thing and then basically say "He's what we're doing. Make games for it if you want.". Nintendo's hubris is their own worst enemy and has been since the NES with Nintendo slowly losing market share in the home console space (Wii being the exception due to Nintendo having to go for a different market or being essentially fucked).

It seems with Wii U they just decided to do their idea of a "core gaming machine" and just expected third parties to jump on board due to their success with the Wii. We know their tools and APIs were pretty shoddy until just before or after the Wii U's release.

I actually hope Ubisoft and Warner abandon the platform too. It'd be nice to see Nintendo struggle as essentially first party only.

P90

I didn't think Bethesda was going to give the Wii U support anyway. As per other developers/publishers, I am not so certain ignoring the Wii U would be prudent for a fair number of developers/publishers.

Tobor

Is this supposed to be a bad outcome? Lol.

Not that Nintendo doesn't have a third party problem, but when the fuck has Bethesda ever supported a Nintendo console?

If his quote wasn't butchered in the OP, you'd see that the quote and context of what he was saying is now about Bethseda turning around and supporting Wii U.

It also makes less sense to bury millions and millions of dollars and the oppurtunity costs that go with it to try and prop up a failing platform that based on recent trends does not contain many unique supporters that will A.) buy their games and B.) would not and do not plan to buy them on another platform if the wiiU version doesn't exist.

It's chasing good money after bad and its a quick way to lose your job. And I'm not sure why supporting Nintendo is magically going to stop the overall market trends in gaming. Not to mention lots of companies big and small are doing incredible in this market. How many iOS developers have hit it big thanks to the medium in just the last 5 years? How many indies has steam vaulted to stardom? Xbla or psn?

I think you are way overvaluing Nintendo's effect on publishers success. In fact I'm not sure how you even conclude tht Nintendo's existence is deeply helping them in the first place? The DS maybe?

Sorry but this is a load of nonsense.

How many iOS developers have hit it big? Not many in contrast to how many fold.
How many great AAA+ game developers are floundering right now because the money is shifting away from home consoles and towards mobile, browser and crowd funding? A lot.

I'm not saying Nintendo should be helped because they're Nintendo. When everyone was bemoaning Microsoft and saying "Yeah! Screw Xbone! I hope they fail and burn!" before the 180, I was trying to point out to my colleagues and friends that that wouldn't be a good thing.

At the end of the day, any gamer who loves games should want to see Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo thrive - because that's how we're going to see great games made.

If we get to the point where gaming is just bang,bang,shooty,shooty and Angry Birds - then I'm out.

So 1. bethesda owns all devs and pubs now and 2. A company cant get support even if they improve because they havent done so in the past?

Just like on PS3 I suppose

PS360 had their life already, they are old consoles, soon to be replaced. What Bethesda mean, is that they have to move on, with their gamedesign, technology, etc..

Some would argue it's not all about pure hardware, but not much big studios think otherwise nowadays.
For them WiiU is a previous gen console. It sounds sad, but maybe they arent all trolling, this may be a fact. And WiiU doesn't bring anything to reconsider it.

It's the story of videogame, moving on.

So 1. bethesda owns all devs and pubs now and 2. A company cant get support even if they improve because they havent done so in the past?

At some point it will become too little/too late. As time goes by and the Wii U continues to sell like hot garbage publishers are going to be less and less willing to invest in it, even if Nintendo comes around and starts courting them. The time to court them is pre-launch. That's what this guy is saying.

VariantX

That was brilliant. He wasn't a dick about it, he was just honest about his experiences. From what he said it seems Nintendo does their own thing and then basically say "He's what we're doing. Make games for it if you want.". Nintendo's hubris is their own worst enemy and has been since the NES with Nintendo slowly losing market share in the home console space (Wii being the exception, albeit a completely different, no core market).

I actually hope Ubisoft and Warner abandon the platform too soon. It'd be nice to see Nintendo struggle as essentially first party only.

It'll happen right around the time that 360/PS3 development ends. Budgets are going to get bigger, and making a Wii U version will be pretty much out of the question.

kortez320

Yup and you can't blame the developers/publishers that feel this way.

When two platform holders make it clear they need you/will support you in any way they can/consult you while building their platforms and then Nintendo never even picks up the phone what do you expect?

I love Nintendo but I have no sympathy for them on this issue. I don't know whether it's pride, arrogance or just ignorance but they would serve themselves well to change the way they interact with the rest of the industry.

To be fair Bethseda probably couldnt live up to Nintendo Quality assurance on their core products. Shovelware is easy to make bug free.

To be fair not even the best dev on this planet could get a nextgen Fallout / Elder Scrolls to run on this crappy hardware.

Bethseda deserves all the crap they get.

Then Nintendo deserves the same for creating such an unappealing, low-specced console.

At some point it will become too little/too late. As time goes by and the Wii U continues to sell like hot garbage publishers are going to be less and less willing to invest in it, even if Nintendo comes around and starts courting them. The time to court them is pre-launch. That's what this guy is saying.

I am not saying its wrong but we had a few consoles that did not sell gangbusters day one but did better over time (ps3, 3DS)

I actually think his main answer to the question of why they aren't supporting the WiiU is more interesting than the quote being discussed here.

He basically said that the reason Bethesda is not interested in the WiiU is a legacy issue: because they didn't support the Wii, they assume that the people who have bought their games in the past will own some other system besides the WiiU that they can buy the new Bethesda games on. Therefore it is not worthwhile supporting them on WiiU as well.

But they did support PS3 even though they were not on PS2

How is that even possible? It's been less than a year. This sounds more like everyone had already made their minds up and are now attempting to justify not supporting the U.

Ridiculous.

steveovig

Nintendo is screwed no matter what. Granted, they put themselves in the position they're in now but there was probably nothing they could do to get third party pubs onto the Wii-U. Even if they had done a true next-gen console, plenty of pubs would still decline to participate probably, choosing Sony or Microsoft instead.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I agree, but it is sort of a strange comment. In the case of the Wii, Nintendo didn't really collaborate with very many third parties, it went on to sell insanely well, and most third parties (including Bethesda) still did not support it well. In this case, the Wii U did not go on to sell extremely well, so there is even less incentive.

This is interesting to me. I guess the key to having third party support is to work with developers before your console comes out so that they invest a lot in building games for the platform and can't easily switch.

If you think about it, say the Wii U started to take off Jan 1, 2014. Like selling on pace with the Wii. By the time anyone got games out, it would be 2 to 3 years later! Kinda late.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Twilight Princess Cannon Room glitch.

Metroid Other-M game breaking door.

I am not saying its wrong but we had a few consoles that did not sell gangbusters day one but did better over time (ps3, 3DS)

Wii U is in another stratosphere in terms of bad sales. A comparison to PS3 or 3DS is pretty disingenuous. On top of that, the circumstances were different. PS3 was launching alongside Xbox360, which meant publishers were going to have a steady stream of games to port over.

Top Bottom