• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda: "The time for convincing pubs and devs to support Wii U has long past"

BY2K

Membero Americo
What is up with Bethesda talking shit about the Wii U? It's like the 4th time and every time it's the same thing.

I agree, but it is sort of a strange comment. In the case of the Wii, Nintendo didn't really collaborate with very many third parties, it went on to sell insanely well, and most third parties (including Bethesda) still did not support it well. In this case, the Wii U did not go on to sell extremely well, so there is even less incentive.

This is interesting to me. I guess the key to having third party support is to work with developers before your console comes out so that they invest a lot in building games for the platform and can't easily switch.

If you think about it, say the Wii U started to take off Jan 1, 2014. Like selling on pace with the Wii. By the time anyone got games out, it would be 2 to 3 years later! Kinda late.
Ports? It doesnt seem like wiiu is that hard to port to and there will be ps360 games beyond 2014

If you think about it, say the Wii U started to take off Jan 1, 2014. Like selling on pace with the Wii. By the time anyone got games out, it would be 2 to 3 years later! Kinda late.

It's about taking a gamble, and developers just aren't interested in doing so when Sony and Microsoft seem like way safer bets. I can kinda see their point, but it's stupid too because they're using the wrong things to justify their indifference.

It is too late now, and a financially bad move now, but it wasn't when the Wii U was released, before it came out even. A Bethesda title would have had to have been in development for many years, so they can hardly use the Wii U's lack of market share (due in part to few titles) as an excuse, since they could have helped out with that.

But the tech's a big factor too. Nintendo are at fault of course. There's just no need to be this condescending towards a company you could potentially work with, and bring a lot of profit and good things to the industry you work in.

Broken Logic

Neo Member
Who keeps asking them about this? Sure, let's ask the least likely Dev to support the system if they'll support the system, and then, let's ask them again every month, just in case. We get it, Bethesda doesn't make Nintendo games. We don't need you to telling us the sky is blue.
Edit: Basically what axisofweevils said.

It's not money hatting, it's getting them involved in the process. Getting to them early on. Sony and MS both do this. They both question 3rd party pubs and devs and take their opinions into account when creating a new piece of hardware because, surprise surprise motherfuckers, third parties are kind of important. This leads to things like an improved Dual Shock 4, which came about thanks to input from both 2nd and 3rd party developers. Do you think Nintendo would ever listen to an outside opinion on how to design the GamePad? Like Hines said, they just put out the box and expect everyone to create games for it like it's still 1993.

Damn I can't argue with that logic.

I would like to publicly state that I am not currently developing on Wii U, either. Please check back in a few weeks for an update. Here's a hint: not likely.

Nocturno999

Gemüsepizza;79636981 said:
To be fair not even the best dev on this planet could get a nextgen Fallout / Elder Scrolls to run on this crappy hardware.

Then Nintendo deserves the same for creating such an unappealing, low-specced console.

And you think Bethesda's upcoming games will run buttery smooth on the arguably weak new consoles?

They could easily port a Skyrim or Fallout making good use of the pad's features.

Wii U is in another stratosphere in terms of bad sales. A comparison to PS3 or 3DS is pretty disingenuous. On top of that, the circumstances were different. PS3 was launching alongside Xbox360, which meant publishers were going to have a steady stream of games to port over.

Wiiu had a decent launch but it fell flat due to a bad software release schedule
3DS had a very poor launch (launched march) and until Mariokart and the pricedrop came it sold horribly as well.. I wouldnt call it another stratosphere. Both platforms sold pretty poorly in the first 6 month after the initial launch period.

CronoShot

I think we all know that.

The Wii U is a Nintendo box, with possibly decent indie support and maybe an occasional next gen downport, provided sales pick up to at least Gamecube levels.

That's it. Expecting anything more at this point is stupid.

Developed? I think Where's Waldo on NES.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bethesda_Softworks_games

Published? Wheelspin for the Wii in 2009. Which was only released in Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheelspin_(video_game)

A quote about Wheelspin from Official Nintendo Magazine:

So their opinion on anything Nintendo is well, moot isn't it? They don't even developer Nintendo games and have shown no intention to do so. Balls to them saying 'WELP WE'RE NOT CONVINCED'.

Who keeps asking them about this? Sure, let's ask the least likely Dev to support the system if they'll support the system, and then, let's ask them again every month, just in case. We get it, Bethesda doesn't make Nintendo games. We don't need you to telling us the sky is blue.
Edit: Basically what axisofweevils said.

thread title is (now) pretty clear if you don't like the topic you don't have to click on the thread.

AzaK

What a stupid thing to hope for.

Nintendo needs a shake up, seriously. The only way Nintendo are going to have a broad, healthy console for enthusiast gamers is if they change their attitude towards third parties, hardware and consumers. To get there they need to hit rock bottom.

VARIA

They said nothing about the 3DS.

gorUJba.jpg

Nintendo needs a shake up, seriously. The only way Nintendo are going to have a broad, healthy console for enthusiast gamers is if they change their attitude towards third parties, hardware and consumers. To get there they need to hit rock bottom.

And Ubisoft, producer of... 3 games for the system this winter, that can be bought anything else, are going to shake them up? Get real.

Lumyst

His is a very reasonable and truthful response, I actually don't even see any animosity either, it's just the truth. Nintendo, with the Wii and WiiU, decided to go with a disruptive hardware design and see if it would take off. Core gamers already have examples of how the WiiU would work to enhance core games, such as with Batman, and they don't care. The casual gamers will soon see how the WiiU enhances their type of games when Wii Party U comes out.

On the N64, Doom 64 and Harvest Moon 64 coexisted with each other. It would appear that the kinds of third party support Nintendo attracted since then, would be on more of the "Harvest Moon 64" side. Ironically enough, back in my childhood, I would have chosen to get Doom 64, but nowadays, I would choose Harvest Moon. I am very eager to see what platform the next console Harvest Moon game (or Rune Factory) shows up on. (There was a single Rune Factory game on PS3, so that makes me very curious.)

Will Nintendo lose Harvest Moon? If so, then I will declare that they have lost all third party support, I will send a letter to Nintendo saying "It's one thing to not get Grand Theft Auto or Elder Scrolls, or even Doom, but you lost Harvest Moon? Pathetic." If they lose Harvest Moon, even I will declare they hit rock bottom.

edit: Oh, and Nintendo better believe that Nintendo fans can like Bethesda's games. Medieval adventures such as the Elder Scrolls are the third party games I got for the PC and Xbox consoles I got as gifts.

Twilight Princess Cannon Room glitch.

Metroid Other-M game breaking door.

Wasn't there also some game breaking glitch in Skyward Sword as well? I can remember reading about it after the game came out. Something about doing some series of quests in a certain order rendering the game unfinishable I think...

I didn't realise Nintendo had been so careless with their QA this gen. You'd have thought they'd patch those games by now or something.

Banned
I think we all know that.

The Wii U is a Nintendo box, with possibly decent indie support and maybe an occasional next gen downport, provided sales pick up to at least Gamecube levels.

That's it. Expecting anything more at this point is stupid.
A Nintendo box with occasionally third party gems and exclusives and down ports of Ubisoft and Warner Bros and Activision games.

wsippel

Banned
Bethesda is pissed that they were not involved in the design process of the system itself. That´s understandable to some degree. But that´s just not what Nintendo does, for better or for worse. Especially not with a company that never released anything worthwhile on their systems.

18-Volt

Hate as much as you want, Bethesda, Nintendo has been around for 125 years and they will be so for another 125 years. Yes, they are colorful, non violent and "kiddie" and they have absolutely nothing in common with your dearly beloved PC with its specs updated every single month.

You can take you one colored Fallouts and Skyrims to another platfroms, Nintendo consoles require games more than 1 color anyway.

Glass Rebel

At this point it's simply delusional to think that Nintendo will return to competing head to head with Microsoft and Sony. A company that relies on its first party games as much as Nintendo does won't risk a move as bold as skipping an entire generation with no guarantee for success. They will go the low to mid-end route which developers like Beth will continue to ignore.

Hate as much as you want, Bethesda, Nintendo has been around for 125 years and they will be so for another 125 years. Yes, they are colorful, non violent and "kiddie" and they have absolutely nothing in common with your dearly beloved PC with its specs updated every single month.

You can take you one colored Fallouts and Skyrims to another platfroms, Nintendo consoles require games more than 1 color anyway.

Totally relevant post, dude.

Nethaniah

Atleast you're not taking it personal.

Ishida

Banned

image.png

-MB-

That was brilliant. He wasn't a dick about it, he was just honest about his experiences. From what he said it seems Nintendo does their own thing and then basically say "He's what we're doing. Make games for it if you want.". Nintendo's hubris is their own worst enemy and has been since the NES with Nintendo slowly losing market share in the home console space (Wii being the exception due to Nintendo having to go for a different market or being essentially fucked).

It seems with Wii U they just decided to do their idea of a "core gaming machine" and just expected third parties to jump on board due to their success with the Wii. We know their tools and APIs were pretty shoddy until just before or after the Wii U's release.

I actually hope Ubisoft and Warner abandon the platform too. It'd be nice to see Nintendo struggle as essentially first party only.

3204840swsw.gif

gstaff

Yes! I was waiting for the monthly "Bethesda: we are not making games for WiiU" thread. September redeemed.

:p

FWIW, This one actually comes from an early August interview at QuakeCon that just released. A lot of folks ask Pete similar questions.

Pretty sure Nintendo consulted Ubisoft and EA prior to release of the Wii U hardware. And then their relationship with EA fell apart.

Hard to tell if Nintendo actually listened to what their developers wanted though. From the look of the Wii U hardware, the only thing that screams third-party appeasement is that the controller is essentially a dual analog pad.

Sentenza

iboo0h6ZUgzErF.gif

18-Volt

Atleast you're not taking it personal.

Sorry, but I just hate them so much. I tried to get in their franchise but they were soo boring. Boring, one colored, uber serious western RPG's. So much for calling myself a "gamer-who-likes-every-single-genre".

Jonm1010

Banned
Sorry but this is a load of nonsense.

How many iOS developers have hit it big? Not many in contrast to how many fold.
How many great AAA+ game developers are floundering right now because the money is shifting away from home consoles and towards mobile, browser and crowd funding? A lot.

I'm not saying Nintendo should be helped because they're Nintendo. When everyone was bemoaning Microsoft and saying "Yeah! Screw Xbone! I hope they fail and burn!" before the 180, I was trying to point out to my colleagues and friends that that wouldn't be a good thing.

At the end of the day, any gamer who loves games should want to see Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo thrive - because that's how we're going to see great games made.

If we get to the point where gaming is just bang,bang,shooty,shooty and Angry Birds - then I'm out.

You made a claim that publishers self interest is served by sinking money into a struggling Nintendo platform. In this post you didn't even attempt to qualify that statement. Instead you decided to attack my argument and go off on a tangent that isn't even really relative to your previous post.

The Indie scene and iOS most certainly has had it's number of flops but such is the nature of the beast. It has also lowered the bar for entry to a point that a lot of developers and artists who otherwise would of never been able to break into the industry to make their mark. But that's beside the point. Please explain why it is in the best interest of publishers like ea and Bethesda to spend money on the failing wiiU?

AzaK

Pretty sure Nintendo consulted Ubisoft and EA prior to release of the Wii U hardware. And then their relationship with EA fell apart.

Hard to tell if Nintendo actually listened to what their developers wanted though. From the look of the Wii U hardware, the only thing that screams third-party appeasement is that the controller is essentially a dual analog pad.
Yup. I doubt they would have asked for that hardware design.

Sorry, but I just hate them so much. I tried to get in their franchise but they were soo boring. Boring, one colored, uber serious western RPG's. So much for calling myself a "gamer-who-likes-every-single-genre".

Let's try and stay on topic - I'm not particularly thrilled with what Bethesda said - but I'd have to say that Skyrim is a fantastic game and I love it. I'd just love to see their stuff on Wii U.. :'(

(Thought: Skyrim on gamepad.. playing it in bed! hnnng)

Nethaniah

Still not understanding the hatred, i never liked games from epic, can't say i hate them just for that.

Somnid

I'm pretty sure most devs knew over a year before launch whether or not they were actually supporting it. EA for example just had things in case it blew up like Wii but it was clear they never gave a shit, all of their money is going into specific rendering tech, it didn't make sense to them and that goes for many companies including Bethesda. Most big companies do not have the teams or abilities to take advantage things like hardware inputs and it's especially risky, if Call of Duty sells you make Call of Duty, you don't go experimenting at the multi-million dollar level which is almost what Wii U is asking.

So because of that you don't care if they release games on Nintendo consoles? You don't see why it's a really bad thing for that console if one of the biggest publishers in gaming doesn't want to publish or develop games for it?

pixlexic

Banned
Really the only way nintendo can be where they want to be is they need to through out a NES level of nintendo hits to really gain control of the market.

Sadly I am pretty sure the current heads do not have it in them to do it.

Sentenza

I don't like Bethesda games myself, but that has hardly anything to do with how silly your rant sounded.

"I HATE YOU SO MUCH FOR NOT SUPPORTING THIS PLASTIC BOX I BOUGHT! OH; AND YOUR GAMES SUCK BY THE WAY!".
...Really?

What is up with Bethesda talking shit about the Wii U? It's like the 4th time and every time it's the same thing.

How are they "talking shit?" It's not a good system for them (or most developers, let's be honest), yet they're often asked about it.

Things aren't going to magically reverse, Nintendo missed their shot.

He's right.

If Nintendo had any intention of competing for the 17-35 male market, they needed to make an extremely aggressive play for it well before launch. It's far too late at this point.

Top Bottom