• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 E3 2017 CG Trailer (prequel, online or solo, early access?)

What did you fucking think of the fucking Beyond Good & Evil 2 trailer?

Results are only viewable after voting.
As i said in previous pages, this is more FrancoBelgian comic and less Disney comic like the first one was.

Reminds me of Luc Besson sci fi

I'm pretty happy with the direction he's taken the art style and tone. I just hope the team can handle a game with this ambition

Man hasn't even finished his wild game yet for ps4

Jade will probably appear in the game. Michel Ancel said on Instagram that "the characters of the original will be part of this world too": https://www.instagram.com/p/BVQTegqgkFK/

I think this might be part sequel as well, I kind of doubt it would be named Beyond Good & Evil 2 otherwise.
How, when the game takes place before she was born? And they specifically said the game was a prequel. Are you saying Ubisoft is lying? That Instagram says nothing about the main characters, there are other characters in the original game than Jade who would have been alive before she was born.

For those talking about Switch, this game isn’t gonna be out for a few years, so maybe by then Switch will have been replaced, maybe it won’t be an issue, maybe it will have 100 million users so will get everything ported to it including this game.

Byvar

How, when the game takes place before she was born? And they specifically said the game was a prequel. Are you saying Ubisoft is lying?
No, I'm saying that it doesn't necessarily mean all of the story takes place before she was born, nor that all of the story is a prequel. We know that the game is mainly a prequel that mainly takes place before Jade's birth, but that doesn't mean it can't continue until after Jade's birth (actually, it's pretty likely considering that if they show Pey'J, they will also want to show how his story, namely how and why he escaped with Jade to Hillys). They might even try to resolve the cliffhanger at the end of BG&E1 with a short story segment, or they might leave it for BG&E3, but who knows at this point.

Lime

edit: thanks to byvar and dualshockers(linked below) for the character art and environmental art

bge2_ca_cityport_e3_1hgsqm.jpg

bge2_ca_ganesha_city_0msux.jpg

bge2_ca_hybrids_junkyfts5y.jpg

bge2_ca_mothership_e3atscu.jpg

bge2_ca_motorbike_e3_0ysub.jpg

bge2_ca_planet_vista_orsms.jpg

bge2_ca_space_battle_v3sqj.jpg

bge2_ca_street_e3_170ursdb.jpg

bge2_ka_e3_170612_2153tsdo.jpg

bge2_ka_space_monkey_3oser.jpg

bge2_ren_dakini_e3_17cfsqz.jpg

bge2_ren_knox_e3_17061fssr.jpg

bge2_ren_li_daiyu_e3_jns84.jpg

bge2_ren_shani_e3_1709ysx2.jpg

bge2_ren_zhou_yuzhu_ex0s83.jpg

While I'll always feel a little bit of disappointment over not being able to continue Jade's adventures, the world of Beyond Good and Evil was wonderful and I'm really looking forward to visiting it again.

Also, techno Buddhism is totally my jam

ngower

Was at work so I'm a little late to the party here, but BG&E is my favorite game of all time and I am unbelievably excited for this. Pre-rendered trailers do nothing for me, but whatever, it's been almost a decade since we had news on this.

I didn't realize this was a prequel. I never paid much attention until now assuming that it would never actually get off the ground.

I don't understand the "cringe" with swearing. People swear in real-life. If everyone was cussing and it was being used as a stylistic device, I think I could see the issue. But it looks like it was limited to just one character in the trailer.

Snaku

Banned
Really having a hard time accepting the logic of dumping all those characters people loved and going full prequel, especially after that cliffhanger. This shit is like if George Lucas had made The Phantom Menace directly after Empire Strikes Back.

remz

One thing I didn't catch the first time around is that the gold idol is called Pey'jin.

Is Pey'j like some kind of legend among pig people?

RE: Swearing- the conversation was between a pirate/street thug type guy and a Mafia boss. I think it would be weirder if they weren't swearing. The language kind of gives it a semi realistic rough around the edges feel that I really like. It certainly felt more natural than the garbage speak coming out of the mouths of Detroit's android revolutionaries.

Lime

Really having a hard time accepting the logic of dumping all those characters people loved and going full prequel, especially after that cliffhanger. This shit is like if George Lucas had made The Phantom Menace directly after Empire Strikes Back.

You'll still hear about Jade and Pey in this one. And it can work wonders to offer fresh and new characters with their own perspectives, own character arcs, and own themes.

Think of sequels like Dreamfall TLJ or Dishonored 2 or MGS2 or RE2 and so forth that offer up new characters but with fresh and interesting experiences.

Tuck

Rewatching the trailer, I'm pretty excited. The art looks great. Its not the BGE2 I expected but I trust Ancel. Really don't know why they chose to go the prequel route but... I think tiw ill be good.

That said, the swearing should be toned down - it brought the overall quality of the trailer down significantly.

Setsuna

Unless you're reimagining a character, recreating characters from 14 years is really annoying from a writing standpoint

Grisby

Ok, so I was at work for most of the day and I didn't get a chance to watch the conference but I did see the announcement for BGE2.

My heart freaking rose out of my chest and then promptly fell out again after seeing the comments about the game being a prequel. I mean, after all this time, we ditch Jade and move backward?

However.

I literally just watched the trailer, and, despite some of the language (it just seemed a little odd considering how the first game didn't really have it), I am in. I think I forgot that part of BGE's charms were not only the characters, but the mysterious world that we were introduced to and this trailer has that in spades.

Now, I am worried about how uncertain the game still seems to be (early access?) but man, I trust in Ancel.

Just don't make me wait another dozen or so years to play it buddy, especially with that art I'm seeing a few posts above mine.

Seriously though Ubisoft won E3 with this. Fucking amazing.

Yeah Sony conference was kinda boring compared to last year's.

It's a tossup between Wolfenstein and this for game of the show for me. Although I dunno if this really counts when you don't see gameplay but the presentation in the trailer was amazing.

Kyuur

Ok, so I was at work for most of the day and I didn't get a chance to watch the conference but I did see the announcement for BGE2.

My heart freaking rose out of my chest and then promptly fell out again after seeing the comments about the game being a prequel. I mean, after all this time, we ditch Jade and move backward?

However.

I literally just watched the trailer, and, despite some of the language (it just seemed a little odd considering how the first game didn't really have it), I am in. I think I forgot that part of BGE's charms were not only the characters, but the mysterious world that we were introduced to and this trailer has that in spades.

Now, I am worried about how uncertain the game still seems to be (early access?) but man, I trust in Ancel.

Just don't make me wait another dozen or so years to play it buddy, especially with that art I'm seeing a few posts above mine.

Yup.

I'm in the minority but I think I was more attached to the world itself than Jade and co. in the first game.

D i Z

A chimpanzee with teeth joins an afro'd black lady on a sky bike? Hmm... I mean, I'ma play this game because I've been waiting like a decade, but that was a questionable decision.

Edit: And they're fighting the police. Like, I don't really think they had any malice in mind, but I'm not going to be the last person to give this side-eye.

So many jokes. Don't know where to begin with this one.

Fuchsdh

Chalk me up as another person confused as to what the hell this is, since aside from anthropomorphic animals it appears to have nothing to do with the original game in tone or style.

Went from a mostly nonviolent photographer sheltering a bunch of cute war orphans to watching some street hustlers kill thousands of people for shits and giggles. It's weird. Forget Jade, I just don't see any similarities to Hillys aside from the flying cars.

Zapages

Honestly, it felt like they placed the BG&E2 to a new concept game they were developing...

It doesn't seem to have the heart of the original. Regardless, it could be a very cool game.

Top Bottom