• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Good and Evil 2 E3 2017 CG Trailer (prequel, online or solo, early access?)

What did you fucking think of the fucking Beyond Good & Evil 2 trailer?

Results are only viewable after voting.

watershed

Banned
My wife, who legit beat the 1st game (one of the few she has in her entire life-- she's not a gamer) actually said that the constant F-Bombs were a turn off. She'd like to experience this with our kids and yeah, it felt overly forced.

It's understandable. The cussing is in stark contrast to the cartoon tone and humor of the first game. At the same time, the gritty graphics are also a pretty strong contrast to the cartoony visuals of the first game.

pbayne

wasn't what i was expecting tonally at all. No real strong feelings on it either way atm, still nice for people who have been waiting so long for it.

Ok, so I was at work for most of the day and I didn't get a chance to watch the conference but I did see the announcement for BGE2.

My heart freaking rose out of my chest and then promptly fell out again after seeing the comments about the game being a prequel. I mean, after all this time, we ditch Jade and move backward?

However.

I literally just watched the trailer, and, despite some of the language (it just seemed a little odd considering how the first game didn't really have it), I am in. I think I forgot that part of BGE's charms were not only the characters, but the mysterious world that we were introduced to and this trailer has that in spades.

Now, I am worried about how uncertain the game still seems to be (early access?) but man, I trust in Ancel.

Just don't make me wait another dozen or so years to play it buddy, especially with that art I'm seeing a few posts above mine.

Pretty much, I really loved a lot of that trailer and the art design and trust Ancel (except for the way online might overrun this game in bad ways over a story/world).

The Jade thing due to prequel is still hitting me real hard though when this should probably be my game of show even with just a CG trailer after all the waiting. Hopefully Dakini isn't just a minor guest character in screentime to make a prequel worth it.

HotHamBoy

When you ask for a sequel and 15 years later you get a prequel that is nothing like the original game outside of the animal people.

And of course, online.

overcast

Trailer has an insane amount of charm and a unique vibrant universe. The cussing was a bit corny for sure, but it was a fun trailer.

The game being described as an online world is immediately worrying for me, kinda wanted a true story experience here

HotHamBoy

Trailer has an insane amount of charm and a unique vibrant universe. The cussing was a bit corny for sure, but it was a fun trailer.

The game being described as an online world is immediately worrying for me, kinda wanted a true story experience here

Ubisoft handing out monkey paws left and right

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The atmosphere in this game is obviously different to the one in the first game. They are going for a different kind of experience. I think the trailer was really great in painting the new look and feel of the game. It's a mix of known and unknown. And the swearing fits with the characters as they are it this "new" world. Different tone and atmosphere, but I really like the world in the trailers.

I don't know if I'm sold on the gritty style, I loved the artstyle and more cartoonish approach of the first game. I was more hyped on the previous sequel trailer years back at E3.

EGM1966

My wife, who legit beat the 1st game (one of the few she has in her entire life-- she's not a gamer) actually said that the constant F-Bombs were a turn off. She'd like to experience this with our kids and yeah, it felt overly forced.
At this point I see (outside the well constructed but 100% CGI and not gameplay representative at all trailer being very well composed) mainly cause for concern:

The CGI trailer itself - no gameplay, no look at the actual game, pure CGI (normally seen as a cause for concern on Gaf due to how little it represents the actual game)

The change of tone: mostly when games have gone from fun cartoon tone to teen/swearing it's been cringe worthy in the final product (Jak and Daxter being obvious example from PS2 days)

The change of story: previous trailer from way back showed Jade, now it's a prequel instead of a sequel so we know they're chopping/changing core elements around - this often doesn't end well from previous experience

The shift from pure SP to open world online: that means dropping much of what worked so well narratively in the original and got it good reviews and cult acclaim

I want it to be good (and hopefully it will be) and I love the passion of Ancel but in truth looked at coldly history says when you've got this level of chopping/changing on direction, nothing to show but expensive CGI for the second time in as many years there's cause for concern.

That said the original is a cult favourite of mine and iffy dialogue aside the trailer did convey positive elements stylistically in kind with original it just didn't convey BG&E 2.

I feel really they're aiming for BG&E: Destiny reading the actual game synopsis material.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But's it's not an online open world, at least not from what info we have so far. It still is a single player game too.

Guys I cannot help but being disappointed.

Several people pretty much nailed my sentiment in this thread:
- the crass change of tone from BG&E in terms of graphics and language
- it's a prequel
- no gameplay shown at all

I think when you look at it as a standalone game, it would seem like something possibly really cool on the horizon.

But when I think back of BG&E and what made it great in 2003, I cannot really find a lot in this trailer except that it plays in the same universe.

Actually the more I think about it, and the more I rewatch it, this seems to be some "Guardians of the Galaxy" spinoff more than a game right now. I guess I really have to wait for some gameplay and further details, but right now I am not impressed.

kd-z

GAF, this is important. Does anyone know the model of shoes Michel was wearing at the press conference? They were super dope and I think I need them in my life.

prudislav

online optional
'shared world' probably just means you can have friends in your game if you want, nothing MMO style

any source on that?? All i heard during the press conf was online seamless and all articles about it so far are pretty vague about it ot completely guessing

F!ReW!Re

Not liking the swearing doesn't neccessarily relate to puratinism lol. Some writers, actors, etc know how to swear, some don't. So it comes off as silly or a forced attempt to be edgy at times. Tarantino can write motherfucker lines well, not all his imitators can.

Not saying I neccessarily agree that it was handled poorly, but to dismiss people's issues with that as them not liking them because it's obscene is, quite frankly, kinda fucking stupid. Especially when you already have some pretty obvious contexts as to why people might find it offputting (like being a sequel to a pretty PGish game).

This.
I'm fine with swearing in media.
It just felt a bit out of place and "forced" like the pig throwing three fucks in when the monkey screwed him over. And the monkey sounding like a chav didn't really help either.
I almost expected him to say "guv'nor"....

The rest of it was cool though.

I feels so...french! In the best possible way, omg! I'm a fan of french sci-fi/adventure comics and this just captures the feeling! Clunky dialogue is part of the charme, guys!

UrbanRats

This.
I'm fine with swearing in media.
It just felt a bit out of place and "forced" like the pig throwing three fucks in when the monkey screwed him over. And the monkey sounding like a chav didn't really help either.
I almost expected him to say "guv'nor"....

The rest of it was cool though.

It would've been out of place in the original tone, but with the new one, you'd expect a pig looking like that, in a setting like that, being tricked like that, to throw around a bunch of "fucks".

Juup

Neo Member
Yeah, this really comes off as cringy to me, mainly because of the dialogue/swearing. It is just trying way too hard.

But hey, it's a BG&E prequel, so I'm still looking forward to seeing some actual gameplay. Also I can see a darker setting might work even though it is different from the original. Just tone it down a notch please...

remz

I'm still really interested in the idol being called Pey'jin

Is Pey'j a common name? Is Pey'j named after divinity? Is he same weird religious figure in the pig hybrid world?

When you ask for a sequel and 15 years later you get a prequel that is nothing like the original game outside of the animal people.

And of course, online.

I don't honestly know what people realistically expected from the 15-year later continuation of a game that sold less than Ice Age 2: The Meltdown The Video Game. Should have done a remaster and turned this into a new IP to avoid letting people down.

Isotropy

Interesting, but just not for me.

A prequel after a borderline-cliffhanger in the original, weird tonal changes, and of course online/shared world/Destiny/Anthem/blahblahblah everybody trying to grab the shame piece of market share for some reason.

Edit: As said above, this should have been a new IP.

Is this a "make your own Avatar" game or does it follow one character? Wondering cause I'm not sure how you would have massive online mp if it's not an ava game.

kromeo

Swearing in games isn't the problem, no one came out of TLOU saying it was ruined by the swearing. But "bang bang motherfuckers"? All that gives me is instant 14 year old vibes

kubus

I was excited... but can't help but be disappointed now. In no way does this feel like BG&E except maybe how the world looks and the animal people. But everything else feels wrong, or just opposite of what I wanted to see in a sequel. There, I said it. I wanted a sequel :(.

Ask anyone why they want a sequel to BG&E and their answer would probably be like: Jade kicks ass, the bonds between the characters, the cliffhanger ending, the camera mode, stuff like that.

Feels weird to say thank you to the fans for your patience and support, and then reveal a game that has almost none of the loved elements of the first game. People were freaking ecstatic about the other BG&E2 teaser because it had Jade and Pey'j, characters we/they loved.

I'm worried because of the cussing, the cgi reveal, the talk about online multiplayer and early access and the fact that it's a prequel. So basically, everything they revealed so far. Here's hoping that gameplay footage will put some of my worries to rest :(.

remz

Interesting, but just not for me.

A prequel after a borderline-cliffhanger in the original, weird tonal changes, and of course online/shared world/Destiny/Anthem/blahblahblah everybody trying to grab the shame piece of market share for some reason.

Edit: As said above, this should have been a new IP.

I don't honestly know what people realistically expected from the 15-year later continuation of a game that sold less than Ice Age 2: The Meltdown The Video Game. Should have done a remaster and turned this into a new IP to avoid letting people down.

Feels weird to say thank you to the fans for your patience and support, and then reveal a game that has almost none of the loved elements of the first game. People were freaking ecstatic about the other BG&E2 teaser because it had Jade and Pey'j, characters we/they loved.

One of my most fond gaming memories, ever is at the end of the original BG&E when you upgrade the hovercraft with space travel and fly to the moon. Now I'm probably remembering it with rose tinted glasses... and it's probably nowhere near as impressive as I remember, but the moment in the trailer with the spaceship rising above the clouds and jumping with the theme in the background gave me shivers. I want ancel to make his sci fi epic he envisioned way back on the ps2, and making a new IP seems stupid with such a rich world, and universe to flesh out. The first game was more than it's player characters, it had one of the best settings i'd seen in a game.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Anybody successfully sign up for the space monkey program? Been trying since yesterday and I keep getting stuck on an infinite load after the Ubi login.

Lynd7

If they wanted to go in a different gameplay direction thats one thing, but why couldn't they have applied that to include Jade and co?

The initial teaser had them, so maybe they considered it at one point.

UnNamed

Banned
https://youtu.be/5Q1s3lOzQ1A?t=7634

Did anyone else notice the gameplay happening in the background??!?

I havent seen anyone else mention it

Yes, i've notice it too.

I don't think that's something Switch can handle.

I really doubt this is an exclusive for Switch, maybe all the rumors were false, no partnership with Ubi, neither Nintendo behind it.

15ys in the making, i doubt they realese it only on one console or only on Switch.

We will see on Nintendo conference.

Anyone else completely fine with this being a very different game? Honestly, I would have been dissappointed if this was a direct sequel. The story has been told.

Sotha Sil

The "aliens/hybrids are attracted to hot human women who look nothing like them" trope is one of the strangest ones around. (It's not explicitely confirmed but heavily implied). Just why?

Burai

shitonmychest57
Came in looking for Beyond Good & Evil 2.

Left having watched the trailer for CUSS MONKEY: A Beyond Good & Evil Story.

Takat

Yes, i've notice it too.

I don't think that's something Switch can handle.

I really doubt this is an exclusive for Switch, maybe all the rumors were false, no partnership with Ubi, neither Nintendo behind it.

15ys in the making, i doubt they realese it only on one console or only on Switch.

We will see on Nintendo conference.

I'm not sure about that, as it kinda reminded me of Xenoblade X.

One of my most fond gaming memories, ever is at the end of the original BG&E when you upgrade the hovercraft with space travel and fly to the moon. Now I'm probably remembering it with rose tinted glasses... and it's probably nowhere near as impressive as I remember, but the moment in the trailer with the spaceship rising above the clouds and jumping with the theme in the background gave me shivers. I want ancel to make his sci fi epic he envisioned way back on the ps2, and making a new IP seems stupid with such a rich world, and universe to flesh out. The first game was more than it's player characters, it had one of the best settings i'd seen in a game.

I actually agree with you and I'm being a bit sarcastic in my post. The idea that two games being separated by 15 years worth of industry time end up fairly different from each other is not surprising. I relish the chance to explore the world of Beyond Good and Evil again. I've grown a bit from when I was nine years old. Even if I went back and replayed the original game, it would be a completely different experience for me.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I feel like this looks more like the original BG&E than Nier: Automata looks like the original Nier.

It's interesting where people will draw their lines about what is and is not faithful.

seady

Not a fan of the constant swearing. The characters also look like a bunch of drug addicts with no charm anymore. Is that how they want to appeal to the mature crowd?

From fan of the first game.

I really like what they are going for here, even the monkey, well cliched has a cheeky charm, and the visual design is stunning. It really does feel like BG&E crossed the with the fifth element, which is awesome. As long as there is SP, I am down. It would be a waste to make this completely focused on online...characterisation and charm is what made the first game, and its sense of adventure and visual style.

I actually agree with you and I'm being a bit sarcastic in my post. The idea that two games being separated by 15 years worth of industry time end up fairly different from each other is not surprising. I relish the chance to explore the world of Beyond Good and Evil again. I've grown a bit from when I was nine years old. Even if I went back and replayed the original game, it would be a completely different experience for me.

It's actually very intresting to watch the trailer with ancel commenting. After watching this , i get why something is in the trailer and i'm confidant that ancel knows what he is doing.

The star of the show in BGE was also the world and the creatures in it so i'm naturally ok with a much bigger universe to explore ( With a crew ).

xandaca

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6R6EN-soJ0

That's a BG&E sequel I'd be really overexcited for. Not some adolescent nonsense with gratuitous swearing and jiggling breast physics (remember when the original was acclaimed for its female lead being realistically proportioned and nonsexualised? This trailer doesn't!). I see little to no relation between what was shown in the trailer and the affably silly charms of the original. It's like they just slapped the BG&E title on some game they already had in development to give it a bit of a platform. Not great, Bob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6R6EN-soJ0

That's a BG&E sequel I'd be really overexcited for. Not some adolescent nonsense with gratuitous swearing and jiggling breast physics (remember when the original was acclaimed for its female lead being realistically proportioned and nonsexualised? This trailer doesn't!). I see little to no relation between what was shown in the trailer and the affably silly charms of the original. It's like they just slapped the BG&E title on some game they already had in development to give it a bit of a platform. Not great, Bob.

nah. Chav chimp was awesome. And the world design and characters seem like a pretty natural evolution from the prior game (Mamago's garage for example)

reminded me a lot of The Fifth Element. this multicultural mish mashed world design is awesome.

felt like I was watching a trailer for a Gorillaz game too. I understand people's qualms with the vulgarity though considering the last game was more all ages friendly.

edit: was not fucking with that mention of online world though, hopefully we still get a lot of the personality and character focus that we got in the previous game and this trailer.

Top Bottom