• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock Remaster 1/2 free upgrades now live on Steam.

4jjiyoon

Oh wow, what a joke.
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/BioShock#Mouse_acceleration

It's fixable but we shouldn't have to edit ini files to fix basic mouse issues.

- There's mouse acceleration and smoothing that you can't disable. There were some tricks to do it in the original, but none of them worked perfectly.
- Mouse sensitivity is way too high, even at the lowest value (1).
- When you set the sensitivity to 1, menus and things like hacks become unusuable because the mouse moves slow, skips in random directions and doesn't allow you to click on menu items.
- There's a lot of tearing and enabling vsync adds tons of input lag (more than it usually does).
- If you have a controller plugged in, you get Xbox prompts even if you don't ever touch a single button.

ah yes i remember that from the original now and i can see it in the remaster. i have a rubbish mouse so having the sensitivity on 2 is ok for me. i'm not using vsync either. the acceleration is on the controller too which is a bit annoying. it always was no i think about it. if you have a controller plugged in 24/7 just turn it off in the menu. that works for me.

dr_rus

07ac.jpg

Downscaled from 5120x3200 to native as well.

BS1 is running great, FOV is better by default but the mouse control seems a bit broken.

I'm also quite puzzled that they've omitted even such obvious and easy additions as some sort of SSAO.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Copy pasta'd my post from the other thread:

Quick jaunt with the PC version. Is running great (getting between 100 and 144 fps at 4k on my 980) and the new textures are nice. It has the same downgraded water that the console version does though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So if I buy Bioshock 2 right now on steam will I get the remastered version for free?

Yes. The two are now bundled together. This is true of the original game and Minerva's Den, as well. It's also in stark contrast to PSN and XBL, where you have to buy the Collection at $60 or nothing at all.

In BS1 yes, in BS2 I'm not so sure, need to look at comparisons.

Bio2 also has adjusted assets (you can view the full-res screenshots by removing "-650-80" from the image URL).

4jjiyoon

mcdonagh's first audio diary still get's a chuckle outta me.

"it's colder than a witches tit" and "i don't care if you piss or go fishing".

10/10.

This might possibly be the nostalgia talking but I remember them looking a lot better than that.

EDIT: Though some places in the game really don't do it justice IMO.

same :p i think that's a console screenshot tho and iirc the original bioshock on pc had an extra water setting in dx10?

Deception

Yes. The two are now bundled together. This is true of the original game and Minerva's Den, as well. It's also in stark contrast to PSN and XBL, where you have to buy the Collection at $60 or nothing at all.

Awesome! Was going to buy on Xbox One but I already own Bioshock 1 on PC so figured I'd just buy 2 and Infinite and go be good to go.

Is that from the original or the remaster. Even my screenshot of this on page 2 looks different.
I believe that's from the original. Found the exact screenshot when I did a google search.

same :p i think that's a console screenshot tho and iirc the original bioshock on pc had an extra water setting in dx10?
The water effects do look slightly better in DX10 and the shadows were also sharper. The differences were a bit subtle though, and an "untrained eye" would have difficulty noticing a difference.

EDIT: Here's a site with comparisons between DX9 and DX10.

Padinn

Bugger, though I had the first one on steam but apparently only the second and third. Enjoy folks, it was a great one!

Calmine

So, my 2560x1080 that was automatically set suddenly disappeared and I can only go up to 1920x1080.

Does anyone here had the same issue?

Yeah I had the same with 3440x1440. You have to create a new res in the ini files.

Under users, app data, roaming, BioshockHD you need to add under input on user.ini setres 2560x1080 on one of the blank input keys.

I.e. F10=setres 2560x1080

Then once in game, not on the menus press F10 or whatever key you did it for and the resolution will change.

This works for both games. If you want you can do it for the FoV as well. Put setFov 90 and press in game and it'll change.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
What a pleasant surprise these remasters are. I had no clue they were coming out until yesterday, and how sweet of the developers to offer them as a free upgrade to those who already own the originals.

BioShock is one of my top ten favorite games of all time. I beat it four times on the 360 and it's influenced my life in a number of ways. It's actually the game that got me really into jazz and for that I will ever be thankful. To experience it again on PC at increased visual and performance fidelity is just such a treat.

The game continues to look beautiful even today. It is absolutely timeless, in my opinion.

My biggest pet peeve, however, is the mouse sensitivity. 1 is way too slow and 2 is a bit too fast. There's no middle-ground, it seems. Anyone having trouble adjusting?

bleh. was looking forward to playing this tonight but virgin media is being shit and giving me 3mb/s down (paying for 150mb/s) so it's going to be over an hour before i can play. -_-

Unai

What a pleasant surprise these remasters are. I had no clue they were coming out until yesterday, and how sweet of the developers to offer them as a free upgrade to those who already own the originals.

BioShock is one of my top ten favorite games of all time. I beat it four times on the 360 and it's influenced my life in a number of ways. It's actually the game that got me really into jazz and for that I will ever be thankful. To experience it again on PC at increased visual and performance fidelity is just such a treat.

The game continues to look beautiful even today. It is absolutely timeless, in my opinion.

My biggest pet peeve, however, is the mouse sensitivity. 1 is way too slow and 2 is a bit too fast. There's no middle-ground, it seems. Anyone having trouble adjusting?

You can better adjust it on the .ini file.

Wonko_C

I'm still rocking the same PC I had when I played the original Bioshock. It's going to be fun to see how much worse (or hopefully better? doubt it) do the remasters run. :D

4jjiyoon

yeah me. i ended up switching to controller. i remember having the same issue with the original.

hlhbk

Copy pasta'd my post from the other thread:

Quick jaunt with the PC version. Is running great (getting between 100 and 144 fps at 4k on my 980) and the new textures are nice. It has the same downgraded water that the console version does though.

Seriously? They couldn't at least keep the good water in the PC version? I am seriously considering not even downloading this even though its free.

Erekiddo

I have VSync on, and this game is still crashing my card. (1080 FTW). 2560 x 1440 resolution.

I don't have it windowed, cause I hate the way it looks. This is the only game so far I've had issues with.

Might RMA this card back to EVGA.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I have VSync on, and this game is still crashing my card. (1080 FTW). 2560 x 1440 resolution.

I don't have it windowed, cause I hate the way it looks. This is the only game so far I've had issues with.

Why would you RMA a card when it's only having issues with what seems to be a cheap-ish remaster?

it crashed hardcore on me 3 times in about 40 minutes of play. one time it even took steam down with it. seems like a real solid release so far.

that said, I'm not sure how much I care about replaying the whole game right now, so

still, you'd think if there would be one game that could launch without issues...

dr_rus

No they're right, it's obnoxious.

That is fucking beautiful

Downsampling ftw

Btw how do you get resolutions that high? Do you create custom resolutions like we did before DSR?

That's just DSR 4x on top of my native 2560x1600.

BS1 seems to be pretty heavy on the GPU for some mysterious reason, leading to both dips below 60 with DSR 4x for me and my card going supersonic in both temperatures and loudness. Those of you who have crashes might wanna check if they'll go away without OC or with a frame lock / vsync.

Rellik

You're sending it back because of 1 game?

Erekiddo

Having other issues now cause of it hanging my system.

Rebooting resulted with a screen that looked like a glitched NES game.

Mad1723

Same issue, GTX1080FTW. It crashes my whole computer though, FFXIII did the same recently. Only games I'm aware that cause this :(

Top Bottom