• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BIT.TRIP Presents: Runner 2 Future Legend of Rhythm Alien |OT|

I hope there is some option to turn off checkpoints or to have the choice to revert to the beginning of the level after each death, preferably with minimal input.

and here is some awesome footage for u guys ^0^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4Zwy1MQNT0
You knock down a large wall and a big red blob floats across the screen in front of things you need to be avoiding? Wha... why?
jbwAJ93XKyORPi.JPG

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I hope there is some option to turn off checkpoints or to
have the choice to revert to the beginning of the level after each death, preferably with minimal input.
You get bonus points for intentionally skipping checkpoints, so this seems unlikely.

I'm disappointed this isn't hitting the 3DS eshop :(

I guess maybe they don't want to take away from Bit Trip Saga, which I would be OK with if it wasn't such a bad port (according to what I've read, anyway).

Hopefully it'll come out at a later date.

I bought BTS over the weekend because it's 9.99 on the eShop this month, and the ports seem fine of the games I've played on other systems (Beat on Wii and Runner on PC).

I spent a good couple hours playing Bit Trip Void, seemed fine to me.

-PXG-

Ahem...

Buy.

This.

Game.

Played and completed both demos at PAX East last year. Gaijin bros were surprised I liked their game that much.

Seriously, Runner 2 is awesome. Buy it, support it, love it. I'm torn between the Wii U version and the PC version though.

That is all.

Luigison

Nice thread, maybe you could specify that it's DD only, just like:

PS3 (PSN)
XB360 (XBLA)
Wii U (eShop)

What about PC (Steam)? Or are we considering all PC games DD now?

Are there any exclusive features? i.e. touch screen, waggle, camera, modes, levels, etc?

Blizzard

Banned
After watching this (looks awesome btw), I can't help being worried about being constantly confused due to everything that's on screen, specially in the background.
I felt kind of the same way. The graphics look really detailed and fancy, but there is so much going on that I feel the sidescrolling speed may be too fast to appreciate, and/or even harder to follow. I agree about the stop sign blocking the screen. That's kind of funny.

I bought BTS over the weekend because it's 9.99 on the eShop this month, and the ports seem fine of the games I've played on other systems (Beat on Wii and Runner on PC).

I might go ahead and get it just for runner, but I read many people saying the slowdowns mess with your timing, even in 2D :(

Murrah

Banned
I might go ahead and get it just for runner, but I read many people saying the slowdowns mess with your timing, even in 2D :(

I just got it the other day, and yeah, the slowdown is really awful in world 3. To the point of being game hampering. But 10 dollars for all six of the games is pretty awesome, and I haven't noticed anything wrong with Beat or Core yet

Subtle

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep updating the thread with more media and avatars.

The slowdowns get horrible in Zone 3. However, they didn't mess with my timing at all.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait, the first was my GOTY in 2010. I'll be getting this on Wii U, hopefully it's as good as the original.

Still stuck on the boss of Zone 1 in bit trip runner.

GOTTA BEAT THAT.
It's the hardest boss in the game, IMO. Eventually you'll beat it and the rest of the ride won't be that painful. Except a couple levels in the last world, with all of those flying object in a wave pattern :|

BuzzJive

I picked up a few on the Wii and just grabbed the 3DS compilation. It's a toss up between Beat and Runner as to which I like most, but I'm all in for Runner 2 for sure - Wii U. They seem slightly unsure of whether it's going to hit the 26th. I really hope so.

Subtle

Alright, updated the OP with avatars!

Can't wait, the first was my GOTY in 2010. I'll be getting this on Wii U, hopefully it's as good as the original.

Your avatar looks strikingly similar to one of the ones in the OP, haha.

Anywho, yeah, those blocks moving in a wave pattern are tough. Still stuck there.

I already have this pre-purchased on Steam. I will probably double dip on the Wii U version at some point too. I absolutely adore the first Runner.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

You haven't played Flux yet? Do yourself a favor and play it now, it's like one hour long, but it's a hell of an hour.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, updated the OP with avatars!

Your avatar looks strikingly similar to one of the ones in the OP, haha.

Anywho, yeah, those blocks moving in a wave pattern are tough. Still stuck there.

Haha, I've had his avatar for a while now.

The most frustrating part of the first was definitely the 3 red dots, followed by the 3 blue dots repeated about 10 times, or jumping over the air conditioner looking things and ducking under the meteors, sliding down the stairs.

The lastest trailer mentions PS VITA at the end.

(http://vimeo.com/59360511)

Is this a mistake? Does this mean cross-buy?

UPDATE:
I asked them on twitter and they said it's coming out on Vita as a separate game!!

Is it wrong that I'm tempted to buy a vita because of that? (and PS+).

Clov

Will pick this up on the Wii U later this week. From the gameplay video posted here, I can tell it's going to be great! Glad the difficultly is a bit relaxed as well; I loved the original Runner, but it did get frustrating at times.

zroid

Banned
Oh gee, totally forgot this OT was up. IGN reviewed it too. 9/10

BIT.TRIP Presents Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien is a music game that doesn't bother with instruments. You won't find any plastic guitars, drum sets, or even a turntable. You can't form a band, there's no audience, and you certainly won't be yelling at your buddies for screwing up the guitar solo. And yet, it's one of the finest music games ever made.

Picked this up on Wii U and played through the first four stages or so. Having a blast so far, but noticed something weird on the leaderboards.

I beat the first stage on normal, and then tried it on hard. I got a perfect on the level and a perfect on the bullseye at the end. I was pretty happy and was third on the leaderboards when I checked. However, I went and replayed the level on normal to try and get a perfect on that difficulty and it seems that the lower normal score overwrote my record for hard on the leaderboards. Even stranger, I got the 'Reward' (their form of achievements) for getting a total of score of over 5,000,000, but when I look at the game totals, it's only now showing 4,550,000.

I might be misunderstanding how they are tallying certain things, or maybe the leaderboards are a bit buggy from just launching, but was a little surprised when it happened. Anyways, I replayed it again, and got a perfect with the perfect bullseye and the hard score is now back on the leaderboard.

dLMN8R

One of my least favorite parts of the first game is how the actions you needed to perform were so off-beat from the music that was playing. It presents itself like a rhythm game but if you ever try to match your actions to the beat you'll fail instantly.

Any chance this game handles that better?

atomsk

Party Pooper
this comes out today? Does it come out on Wii U or only Steam??? Says it unlocks in an hour on Steam.

Steam preorder version is not up yet despite game being live

Have tried restarting a few times, to not avail, looking at the Steam forums and the facebook page, I'm not the only one

Top Bottom