• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BIT.TRIP Presents: Runner 2 Future Legend of Rhythm Alien |OT|

Glix

The people who preordered should get it first!!! GRUMBLE!!!

I don't even know if it will run here, but I damn well intend to find out!! :(

Refyref

This happens almost every time I preorder a game on Steam. The people who preorder have to wait, and those that bought it after can already play. :\

VinLAURiA

Banned
What I wouldn't do for a Wii U right about now... 200%'d the first RUNNER and I've been following the dev blog religiously. Huge Bit.Trip fan; I have all six WiiWare games, SAGA off of the 3DS eShop, and incidentally acquired the Steam versions of BEAT and RUNNER through various bundles.

(Get the Steam version? Oh no no no - call me a purist, but Bit.Trip started on WiiWare. Damn right I'm grabbing that sucker with a Wii U.)

Ionic

The PC version is telling me to not turn off my console while it is autosaving! What a terrible port.

(kidding)

zroid

Banned
The PC version is telling me to not turn off my console while it is autosaving! What a terrible port.

(kidding)

They're right, though! You should turn off your console before it starts saving. Why waste energy if you're playing the game on PC?

dLMN8R

One of my least favorite parts of the first game is how the actions you needed to perform were so off-beat from the music that was playing. It presents itself like a rhythm game but if you ever try to match your actions to the beat you'll fail instantly.

Any chance this game handles that better?

anyone? :-(

Futureman

To me it feels like most of the actions are blending fairly well with the beat, but this game also takes a bit longer to really ramp up, so it's tough to say how it fairs down the road when you'll be required to perform constant actions.

I don't know much technically about music, but I think actions happen on down beats which might be what he's saying.

Loving it so far. On World 2 now.

dLMN8R

I don't know much technically about music, but I think actions happen on down beats which might be what he's saying.

Loving it so far. On World 2 now.

I thought that much too in the first game, but eventually realized that there's just little alignment on any beat with actions you need to take.

pvpness

I thought that much too in the first game, but eventually realized that there's just little alignment on any beat with actions you need to take.

I dunno. I thought it was pretty consistent myself. If you were on a stage that ran a 4/4, most of the early beats were on note 1, 3 at the beginning. Then it would fill them out to be all four beats (outside of background). At the much later stages I felt like it was throwing jazz fundamentals in the mix and adding additional beats regardless of bars making it totally insane to try to "tap your foot" in time.

Refyref

Just finished the first 3 stages. The fears I had about this game are gone. And even though I'm not a fan of CV's redesign, looks like there is a way to unlock the old one. (His silhouette is in the characters menu)
Also, it's fun not using checkpoints, but these are the first stages, they'll probably be needed later on.

Just finished the first 3 stages. The fears I had about this game are gone. And even though I'm not a fan of CV's redesign, looks like there is a way to unlock the old one. (His silhouette is in the characters menu)
Also, it's fun not using checkpoints, but these are the first stages, they'll probably be needed later on.

Is there a score bonus for avoiding checkpoints or a completion indicator?

EDIT: Ah, just read in the digital manual that there is bonus points for skipping checkpoints.

Really bummed out that for the time being it looks like the leaderboard is updating with your most recent score as opposed to your highest score. Hope they fix this, since if you go back just to play casually, it could possibly ruin a score that you worked hard on. (This is Wii U version, not sure if Steam is working the same way).

probably been asked and I missed, but is this on Wii U today or we have to wait till Thursday.
The sales are gonna be great on Wii U since people actually want something to play on it. They will make at least 53k sales :)

What I wouldn't do for a Wii U right about now... 200%'d the first RUNNER and I've been following the dev blog religiously. Huge Bit.Trip fan; I have all six WiiWare games, SAGA off of the 3DS eShop, and incidentally acquired the Steam versions of BEAT and RUNNER through various bundles.

(Get the Steam version? Oh no no no - call me a purist, but Bit.Trip started on WiiWare. Damn right I'm grabbing that sucker with a Wii U.)

Well according to the dev site its also the best version on consoles:

Now onto the differences.

PS3

For technical reasons, we had to remove a few features from the PS3 version: depth of field, shadow filtering, and micro leaderboards at the end of every level. As a result of having no depth of field, the game is sharper and colors more vibrant.

Steam (Windows, OSX, Linux)

Because they run on a PC, the Steam versions are the most configurable, but also the most volatile: the game is only as good as your computer. And let's be clear: this game was designed to be played with a gamepad. If you don't have a wired Xbox 360 controller, you will still be able to play the game using the keyboard, but the gamepad controls are much more intuitive!

Steam also makes it easy to stay up to date with the latest fixes.

It's also on sale until launch!

Wii U

The clear difference with the Wii U version is that you can play the entire game on either your gamepad or your TV. Also, because it is the newest platform with the most memory, it has the best overall load times of any of the consoles. Initial loading may be a bit slower, but it speeds up as you play since we can keep more content in memory, which means fewer loads overall.

Xbox 360

The Xbox build has the slowest load times of the consoles. It's possible we will be able to speed this up in a future update.

Futureman

Um.. you should be able to just hold down the Power button on the Wii U gamepad to turn the system off, correct? I know I've done it in other games.

When I do this with Runner 2, the gamepad turns off but the system stays on and freezes. When I turn the gamepad back on, nothing works and I have to pull the plug on my Wii U.

Um.. you should be able to just hold down the Power button on the Wii U gamepad to turn the system off, correct? I know I've done it in other games.

When I do this with Runner 2, the gamepad turns off but the system stays on and freezes. When I turn the gamepad back on, nothing works and I have to pull the plug on my Wii U.

Its a feature, dont question it

I've been waiting for this one but didn't realize it was going to be available today. Can't wait to get home and download it. Gamepad play will be perfect for this game.

naib

The visuals are a little bit distracting but I'm very happy with it.
there's clearly a retro mode to be unlocked

I'm playing on PC with an arcade stick. On the loops what am I missing by not having RS bound? Does it make them faster or what?

I never played the first Runner game. I saw this in the coming soon section of Steam, saw the video and wishlisted this, I should have pre-purchased it because it's really good. It would be cool if there was a demo so others could try it out.

Simple in it's execution but very fun to play. When it's says that this game has no skateboards..etc they're talking about Aero-Cross right? Which Namco cancelled the remake.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Downloaded! I'm going to play this later tonight, after eating dinner.

I hope it's even half as good as Runner 1, that would make me SUPER happy. It being on the same level as Runner 1 would make me ULTRA happy, and if it's better, EXTRA!

-PXG-

This is on the Vita too? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Might triple dip. Dat Wii U, Steam and Vita death combo.

Cot damn.

Top Bottom