• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops II on Wii U has more players than Killzone: Shadow Fall

maneil99

Wii is backwards compatible with every Wii game, plus this is CoD: Black Ops II, NOT CoD: Ghosts, the newer installment of the series that's also on WiiU.

Ghosts has a smaller playerbase then BO2, its a bad port. The Wii has no online player base for FPS games.

Betty

Banned
Not a big surprise, Killzone's multiplayer is okay, but it's not good enough to keep people from returning to COD and BF.

MilesTeg

Banned
The point is that for a shooter that sold over two million and released about 7 months ago, the online community is shockingly low. Hard not to call Killzone a single player franchise with numbers like this.

BLOPS 2 is God tier though so there's that.

dab0ne

Not too surprising since COD is much more popular, KZ's MP wasn't very fun, and PS4 has Battlefield 4 and COD to keep people out of KZ. Hell, when I played KZ last year there weren't many people playing it and that was right after launch.

Edit: You also need PS+ to play MP on PS4

RE_Player

Maybe bad news for KZ:SF multiplayer. TBH I'm blown away that this game sold over 2 mil units and has a ~1000 playerbase for online mp.
Why are you that blown away? It was a launch game on a platform with multiple multiplayer games, especially shooters. For the Wii U Call of Duty is really the only option for that genre.

Also add to the fact some people don't even play online. I have Killzone Shadow Fall and only played the single player. Have no desire to play competitive multilayer but the upcoming co-op dlc sounds interesting.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
WiiU starved for games and shooters especially. PS4 stomps WiiU in choices. Off the top of my head here are a few shooters which are not on WiiU or are just better on PS4 - BF4, CoD Ghosts, Wolfenstein New Order, Blacklight Retribution, and WarThunder.

Doesn't excuse much but choices for good shooters are more plentiful on PS4.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Why are you that blown away? It was a launch game on a platform with multiple multiplayer games, especially shooters. For the Wii U Call of Duty is really the only option for that genre.

Also add to the fact some people don't even play online. I have Killzone Shadow Fall and only played the single player. Have no desire to play competitive multilayer but the upcoming co-op dlc sounds interesting.

I think it has more to do with the fact Killzone was Sony's premier fps shooter exclusive franchise, comparable to halo for Xbox (of course no where near as popular).

It's not great news for the franchises multiplayer scene either way. But at least it sold well.

VariantX

Its not like the Wii U player base has a choice in the matter. Play black ops 2 or play ghosts...and ghosts really isn't as good as BO2. I guess people aren't interested at all in KZ:SF mp and moved on to other games.

Tripon

I think it has more to do with the fact Killzone was Sony's premier fps shooter exclusive franchise, comparable to halo for Xbox (of course no where near as popular).

It's not great news for the franchises multiplayer scene either way. But at least it sold well.

The issue is that Sony doesn't treat Killzone like MS treats Halo.

But yeah, those MP numbers are mind boggling. The game isn't even a year old yet, you're telling me all the players just up and left for CoD and BF4?

One of them is broken on the system, the other isn't as good as past installments.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Not a surprise considering even a shitty CoD game is superior to Shadow Fall in both single and multiplayer modes.

Fix that shit, Guerrilla.

From what I've played of the KZSF multiplayer when it was on PS+, I can see why those numbers are low. I didn't have that much fun, as I did with the past KZ games online. Even KZ3's multiplayer was better then SF, and it was one of the weaker KZ's.

BO2 is pretty good, and I'm guessing it isn't too different on WiiU.

LoveCake

I have Black Ops 2 for my WiiU & playing online for the first time ever people were playing correctly, there was no camping & people were working together even though they were not communicating.

npa189

I don't understand the hate of shadowfall, it is a perfectly serviceable launch shooter for PS4. COD is a juggernaut that seemly can't be stopped, even on the Wii U its an apples to oranges situation.

PS4 has Cod and Battlefield, fps people play these games and very few care about killzone, even if it's supported so well by Guerrilla Games

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I don't understand the hate of shadowfall, it is a perfectly serviceable launch shooter for PS4. COD is a juggernaut that seemly can't be stopped, even on the Wii U its an apples to oranges situation.

Except that Black Ops II on Wii U probably sold about 10% of Shadow Fall's sales.

Bluenova

Neo Member
Anyway to see weekly players??

Ie a few months ago I was playing KZ 2 , and about 5000-7000 still were playing in a week

Apdiddy

I actually love Killzone: Shadowfall's multiplayer a lot and was playing it really heavily during launch/post-launch periods, but there's only so much of 'spawn, die, get revived by another player, die again from a turret/air support drone/drone buddy/grenade, repeat' that you can take before you swear off of it forever.

When you have really great teams and great matches (I played with one guy who directed everyone over mic on where to go that he got the nickname of "Master Chief"), Killzone Shadowfall is wonderful.

Arklite

Those numbers seem pretty normal from what I remember. They were higher the first few weeks, but they were always surprisingly low to begin with. Such a shame, as a fan of SF I'm not sure what it is about it that rubs people horribly wrong, but it does.

erawsd

Not surprising. I imagine most people picked up Shadowfall because they were starved for a nice show piece for the PS4. Personally, I wouldn't have gotten it if it weren't for the B2G1 deal Amazon had at the PS4 launch.

edit: Actually, reading more of the thread 1000 out of 2 million is pretty damn shocking. I wonder what that means for the future of the franchise.

Hugstable

Banned

I just think Launch shooters and possibly Launch games in general are usually never looked at all that favorably later into the systems life. Just like Resistance 1, I remember seeing alot of people hating on the game, but I actually thought the first Resistance was brilliant with some of the weapons, and the level design was great, as well as the difficulty. There are exceptions like Mario 64, Crash 1, and Halo that were Launch or Launch Window that are still looked upon favorably.

I think a bit of the Killzone hate stems from those who bought it at launch and played the Single player while is still had a few problems that they ended up fixing in a patch later. Some were also probably disappointed when they found out that the multiplayer that was promised as 1080p and 60fps ended up faux-1080p and 60fps was only in a few few places in online multiplayer. Still I enjoyed the class based system and the overall feel of the game, and now it kinda sucks seeing that no many people are really playing the game online at all anymore. I remember Killzone 2 being active for quite a while when I used to play that back when it came out.

L Thammy

I don't see any reason to doubt this bit of trivia, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be getting out of it. Killzone's multiplayer isn't popular?

Damn, that's sad. The biggest franchise in gaming barely manages to beat out the dead-est shooter on a console that came out a full year later.

Wii hardly knew U.

Not sure why KZ:SF's MP is so dead, but I'll freely admit to it being a disappointment. It seemed to follow the Crytek path of pretty graphics with un-engaging gameplay. Whereas BLOPS2 is still one of the best CoD games so far.

Zomba13

The thing that blows my mind is that both systems let you take screenshots and upload them but OP uses a phone pic instead.

Toxi

Banned
Not surprised that Black Ops 2 is holding strong. My younger brother plays it almost as much as Ghosts.

SmokeMaxX

Ghosts has a smaller playerbase then BO2, its a bad port. The Wii has no online player base for FPS games.
A few of the Wii CoD games were 1 mil+ sellers. I'm not going to say that the FPS community on the Wii rivals CoD on PS3/360 numbers, but I imagine that the Wii FPS games' (Conduit, CoD, etc.) online communities definitely can rival these pathetic numbers.
Thats exactly why BLOPS2 has a small but dedicated playerbase on the Wii U.
BO2's online playercount is only slightly higher than Ghosts' on average according to a poster on the other thread.

EL CUCO

The point is that for a shooter that sold over two million and released about 7 months ago, the online community is shockingly low. Hard not to call Killzone a single player franchise with numbers like this.

BLOPS 2 is God tier though so there's that.

I agree with this. Most fun I've had in all CoD's is on this one.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Looks like the next Killzone should just go the Wolfenstein route and focus entirely on a single player campaign.

d0nnie

Banned
As visually beautiful as KI:SF is... it lacks magic. Honestly, I played the campaign, and it was bland. I gave up on it, and didn't finish it. The multiplayer is the same thing.... very bland. Compared to Ghosts, BF4 and even other PSN multiplayer, its definitely lacking.

Beautiful game with boring presentation and gameplay. I enjoyed the other Killzone game a lot more.

Top Bottom