• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops II on Wii U has more players than Killzone: Shadow Fall

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Wonder what happened with that. The Goldeneye remake for the Wii was pretty decent, what caused Legends to be so piss poor?

Difference is probably in effort, Goldeneye had some prestige about it due to it's history so the developers were more likely to produce a better game with better pay off. Legends was some random bond game no one cared about and the effort in creating it was probably equivalent. Probably a cheap bottom line pusher.

MilesTeg

Banned
Wonder what happened with that. The Goldeneye remake for the Wii was pretty decent, what caused Legends to be so piss poor?

Basically it was just a (low quality) CoD clone that was sent to die near the release of the newest CoD iirc. Activision obviously didn't feel like a big budget high quality game for an IP they don't actually own is justifiable, not when they have CoD and are spending so much on Destiny. Pretty sure they weren't planning on retaining the license so they were basically going through the motions. Eurocom (developed the last two Bond games) was shut down after the release of Legends.

Welp.
A pity too, since Guerrilla has been so good about supporting the game and community post release. In any case though, Sony needs to probably put the game on PS+ (or make the multiplayer F2P like they did with Killzone 3 or Uncharted 3), to promote the multiplayer a bit.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
What's the point of this comparison, exactly?

tumblr_mezy08dbze1qbm00wo1_500.gif

Cuburt

It's interesting to note that I remember the Wii U's online numbers were similar when BLOP2 launched (and that was coming out a couple weeks after the other versions). The media blew up the fact that it was so far behind the 360 versions numbers (fair comparison) and everyone declared the Wii U's online DOA. Now we see the same community going strong even after a sequel has been released and regardless of how poorly the Wii U's versions have sold in comparison, a healthy online community are what anyone plays these games for and if it can remain consistent for over a year and a half after launch, that's a good sign for the Wii U.

I don't know Killzone's online numbers near launch but just like people pointed out those COD games are the only Wii U FPSs (as if people don't have any other choice instead of maybe they do have other choices but choose to play the game on that platform and with that community) that also means that the online FPS community won't be as fractured amongst the over saturation of the genre on other platforms. It seems to me that besides a select few titles, most FPS such as KZ, enjoy a surge in online popularity at launch which then dies off after a few months as the hype dies off and/or other games come along. For a games that is supposed to be played online, that is the worst if you pick it up after that surge and find multiplayer to be a ghost town.

I think Nintendo's hidden strength in the way they've built their online communities is like the way their sales for their "evergreen" titles work, they are a "slow burn" rather than the normal hype cycles with AAA games on other platforms. From how consistent or surprisingly strong I've heard online numbers were for some Wii games, I don't think online is quite the weakness for Nintendo as people suggest since longevity can be more important than sheer numbers for the gamers.

pixlexic

Banned
SF sold way more copies than blops2 on wii u if sales is what you're basing popularity on.

no i was not. SF sold a lot because it was THE launch graphical showcase. Also there were people like me who loved 2 and 3 who bought it.

That doesn't mean those people are still playing. COD is a much more popular MP game.

I am sure COD on ps4 has a high number of people playing it as well.

KZObsessed

OP, your image of KILLZONE is only showing the "recommended" warzones, you have to search for all active warzones to see them all. You can also use the website. This would give a more accurate comparison. Although usually only 3 or 4 have decent numbers so I doubt it would make too much difference.

Personally I find the mp in shadow fall very dull, the gunplay is just weak. No recoil or impact, just not satisfying to shoot people. They tried to chase the cod audience and failed. The maps are also average at best. Kz2 was brilliant, incredible gunplay, awesome maps but it didn't take off like they wanted so they made it play more like cod and killed their fan base instead of just building and perfecting their own style.

It may sound silly but the sp being so bad also put me off playing the multiplayer or spending any more time with the game. They've completely killed the franchise for me so I'm glad they're making a new ip. It needs to be very special though to get me to even look twice.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Might as well throw this in here but does Black Ops 1 on 360 still have many players at all ? I enjoyed the vanilla modes and played a shitload of Pure mode as well, love that game.

Well, Shadow Fall is losing to the competition on PS4 as well, so maybe that's not the best point to bring up.

Think that was his point. If you have the ability to play Shadow Fall, you have a PS4 and you can be playing BF4 or Ghosts. With Wii U you are pretty much stuck with Black Ops 2.

Unfortunately, most people just don't give KZ a chance, or don't like it. NOthing will ever come close to CoD in the mainstream, they've got the gameplay nailed down in that. I take it most people who bought KZ, bought it for the SP, to show off their new console. It doesn't help that while GG delivered on the MP, they dropped the ball on the SP. My guess is that this is the last KZ we'll be seeing for a while.

Mercenary was better than SF, in my opinion.

OP, your image of KILLZONE is only showing the "recommended" warzones, you have to search for all active warzones to see them all. You can also use the website. This would give a more accurate comparison. Although usually only 3 or 4 have decent numbers so I doubt it would make too much difference.

Personally I find the mp in shadow fall very dull, the gunplay is just weak. No recoil or impact, just not satisfying to shoot people. They tried to chase the cod audience and failed. The maps are also average at best. Kz2 was brilliant, incredible gunplay, awesome maps but it didn't take off like they wanted so they made it play more like cod and killed their fan base instead of just building and perfecting their own style.

It may sound silly but the sp being so bad also put me off playing the multiplayer or spending any more time with the game. They've completely killed the franchise for me so I'm glad they're making a new ip. It needs to be very special though to get me to even look twice.

Damning, coming from a Killzone fanboy. Halo 4 also tried to chase the CoD audience, didn't work out so well either.

Halo 4, One Year Later: What Happened?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Think that was his point. If you have the ability to play Shadow Fall, you have a PS4 and you can be playing BF4 or Ghosts. With Wii U you are pretty much stuck with Black Ops 2.

Wii u has Ghosts also you realise? So from that comparison they're only missing BF4.

Though I'm not really what it's supposed to prove (that KZ:SF has very bad MP that no one wants to play? or something?)

jakomocha

I occasionally play BLOPS 2 online on the Wii U (last time I played was probably a month ago). It seems like there is typically about 700 or so people playing, however it's almost entirely in team deathmatch, with all the other modes practically being empty. I'm curious- how many people are typically online in COD: Ghosts multiplayer on the Wii U?

BokehKing

Banned
Could be because killzone was always a tech demo first, game 2nd.

Which I hope guerilla's new ip is not a shooter, they're just not good at them

See, I love Wii/U CoD for the pointer controls, but hate it for the CoD part. If we got a Metroid Hunters U with the same level of customizability I'd be SO all over that.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm pretty sure that game bombed worst than black ops 2 on wii u. I doubt there's many players on there to play with.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93538683&postcount=2885

Supposed it's player base is also around 1k according to post I've read. Can't verify though.

edit:
Probably varies a lot depending on time etc and I don't play any of these a lot, but the last few times I've played KS: shadowfall the player count has been ~1200 and Black Ops II (Wii U) has been ~1500. Ghosts on the Wii U seems to hover about the ~1200 mark as well.

Here's the post, can't verify shit.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Not thread whining, but really what is the purpose of the comparison? That Killzone had less players than Blops II on Wii U? Ok? As to the quality of Shadowfall, I quite enjoyed it, but then again neither I or NeoGAF speaks for everyone.

TyrantII

largest communities last gen were also BF & COD, and probably throw in GTA 4/5/RDR. Other games, especially FPS never get those numbers, and if they do they crash quickly and hard. Even worse if they dare try to go up against others in the fall release window.

Funny thing is the community is small but passionate and most PTFO. You see the same names a lot. The matchmaking is also pretty slick and will throw you into a game very quickly (usually 1-2 seconds). But because of the small community you can run into issues if the other team has partied up (lopsided skills)

I will say one thing that's annoying, Personally I've noticed that most of the time the leaders on the opposite team are always the ones with the greatest latency advantage verses myself. This game really gives others a latency handicap.

TyrantII

Another thing to think about is the lack of auto-aim / snap ADS in Killzone.

You actually need to be accurate with your aiming and you need to be able to track targets unlike BF or COD which practically does it for you.

That throws a lot of people off used to auto-aim, quick scoping FPS, and I'm sure they leave in disgust about the "controls". Add in the fanatics with hundreds of hours still playing and you have a very hostile environment for the noobs.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Killzone 2 was the last online shooter I put some real time into. Playing Battlefield 3 on PC brought some of the fun back but I never played that on my own, only when friends asked me to. Really wish they'd bring that magic back for whatever project they decide to do next.

Vagabundo

This thread reminds me that I need to pick up a Wii U COD. Especially if the community is stable.

I love Wiimote FPSs. Such a missed gaming opportunity. I so wish they had take off more.

Mike Golf

Another thing to think about is the lack of auto-aim / snap ADS in Killzone.

You actually need to be accurate with your aiming and you need to be able to track targets unlike BF or COD which practically does it for you.

That throws a lot of people off used to auto-aim, quick scoping FPS, and I'm sure they leave in disgust about the "controls". Add in the fanatics with hundreds of hours still playing and you have a very hostile environment for the noobs.

Totally true; I love the lack of any Auto Aim I'm KZ SF, it forces people to be more careful and use more skill. I don't get why devs kept it in so many gamepad controls last gen. Whenever I sparingly use a gamepad on PC versions of FPS games I always turn off Auto Aim and that's using a 360 pad, still play just fine not locking on to an opponent a quarter of a screen away from my sights.

To the OP I'm not bothered by this at all, most online MP I have played in the past that I really enjoyed weren't extremely popular so this is no different. MGO was and still is the best online MP I have ever played, horrible net code aside, and the player count on there was pretty bad too. I regularly play Crysis 3 online and it consistently has less than 1k players on. That just means those that stick around are usually more challenging to play against as they're the more "hard core" players and that a lot of other people are missing out.

Delt31

not surprised b/c Killzone SF was absolutely TERRIBLE. Such a let down after the vita one was so satisfying.

Hip Hop

I think Ghosts on Wii U has more players than Killzone. That is more impressive since the initial sales of the Wii U version sold less than 1 percent of all combined sales. And Black Ops 2 has more players than Ghosts on Wii U as well.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
You know what though? I never have problems finding a game in Shadow Fall yet sometimes it takes forever to find a game in Titanfall.

Go figure.

Well put this in perspective.

I spent 1 hour in Shadow Fall multi player and didn't look back.

Where as I spent about 50 hours in BLOPS 2 over half a year, sometimes taking long breaks from the game, before I got bored and ultimately dropped the game. Even Ghosts didn't capture the fun BLOPS 2 did for me, only 3 hours on that one.

Hoping the next Killzone is more like 3. Shadow Fall didn't have a very interesting art style or multi player maps.

Cipherr

Not thread whining, but really what is the purpose of the comparison? That Killzone had less players than Blops II on Wii U? Ok? As to the quality of Shadowfall, I quite enjoyed it, but then again neither I or NeoGAF speaks for everyone.

isn't there an actual COD game on PS4 that would make for a saner comparison?

what's the multiplayer shooter library like on Wii U, compared to PS4?

I don't get the point of this at all

I don't think the point is to say WiiU has a bunch of people online (because it doesn't). Its not about the consoles, it seems they are more pointing out that Shadowfall specifically isn't as popular online as it should be.

Toparaman

Banned
Theres no other FPS games to play on Wii U and those are only the top 3 playlists for KZSF.

Yeah, but still...it's the Wii U.

For me it's notable because of all the hype around Shadow Fall, whereas there aren't many Gaffers who bought a Wii U for much more than Nintendo games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Blops 2 is the better online multiplayer shooter, but that doesn't excuse Wii U owners who are barely playing it despite not having other options. Killzone SF's online is small because PS4 players have better shooters to play.

Top Bottom