• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Official Trailer

It's truly terrible in this trailer.

You're like the guy in the crowd at a blackjack table calling out the double down for the dude playing

The idea that shot, in any way, looks "truly terrible" is amazing to me.

Breaking down still frames in a trailer for a Villenueve/Deakins film like it's a final, and then going so far as to suggest even in its unfinished form it's somehow "truly terrible"

C'mon now.

Skipping that trailer but can someone tell me if there are flying cars to be seen? I haven't seen any in previous teasers or promotional stills and... I needs my flying cars.

Acidote

So that's totally Gosling bursting through the wall after Deckard right...?

I thought that too but didn't want to say anything since it isn't so clear even in the prohd trailer.

Skipping that trailer but can someone tell me if there are flying cars to be seen? I haven't seen any in previous teasers or promotional stills and... I needs my flying cars.

There are flying cars to see.

Your avatar is horrible by the way.

The film looks gorgeous. Expecting carbon copies of Jordan Cronenweth's look and style is just going to set you up for disappointment. Comparing everything in this sequel within an inch of its life to the original Blade Runner is going to set you up for disappointment.

I don't need this film to be Blade Runner. I need it to be its own film within that world that walks the line between acknowledging the old while still having a place for the new. Denis is a great enough filmmaker to push beyond trying to create a simulacrum of Scott's version.

I think the trailer looks excellent and I'm hyped as hell for the film. Not gonna bother dissecting shots from a trailer with all these months to go and when there's so much more that's going to make or break this.

You're like the guy in the crowd at a blackjack table calling out the double down for the dude playing

Breaking down still frames in a trailer for a Villenueve/Deakins film like it's a final, and then going so far as to suggest even in its unfinished form it's somehow "truly terrible"

C'mon now.

Seeing someone get so flustered over a mildly hyperbolic internet movie opinion in 2017 is amazing to me.

Chumley

Banned

C'mon now.

Read the post. I said the lighting effect of that shot on Gosling and the car in this trailer is terrible, not that the shot is terrible. They can easily fix it by just changing the color temperature or darkening the car and Gosling. I'm sure they will, and I also never said anywhere that I assume it's final.

I do this shit for a living so it sticks out to me. I'm sorry if that offends you, maybe just stop policing discussion about the cinematography in this movie.

Gilzor

I thought that too but didn't want to say anything since it isn't so clear even in the prohd trailer.

I feel like this trailer makes it clear that Gosling's K is a replicant, he finds Deckard, Deckard is unwilling to help him and tries to "retire" him, K saves Deckard from the explosion, kills a bunch of the backup, then cue the moment with K, bloody-faced, wanting to talk to Deckard after proving he's "good".

That's purely conjecture..... from having watched the trailer 11 times.

Seeing someone get so flustered .

Who you seeing get flustered, Florsh?

Do you imagine me flapping my arms or something?

Someone said something remarkably silly. So I remarked upon it.

It's still silly.

And now you're stepping in.

So...

I do this shit for a living so it sticks out to me. I'm sorry if that offends you, maybe just stop policing discussion about the cinematography in this movie.

here we go.

Also, you and your job doesn't offend me. I'm not offended. I'm also not "policing" discussion. Someone said something dumb, you volunteered to back up the dumb thing. So what I said in response to him is now applied to you. I didn't make you do any of that, just like I didn't ask you what you did for a living as if your occupation somehow lends extra validity to the bad opinion I disagree with.

Ran rp

The film looks gorgeous. Expecting carbon copies of Jordan Cronenweth's look and style is just going to set you up for disappointment. Comparing everything in this sequel within an inch of its life to the original Blade Runner is going to set you up for disappointment.

When you have to make things up to shut others down. Sigh.

Nibel

The trailer looks really well made, but it seems more like someone emulating the style of the original instead of looking like a new one. Now that's not a bad thing because it's an amazing style, but something feels ever so slightly off. For example:

This is a truly terrible effect. The shot is amazing, but man the car and Gosling look completely out of place. Though the film still has a bunch of months of course so we'll see.

This scene stood out for me as well but this is just a trailer and will likely change (like a lot of other stuff) in the final version

Other than that, I still wouldn't call it truly terrible. A shot is more than the CG applied to it; the environment, the color palette, the composition etc look fucking amazing to me; like this could be a poster or a book cover

Dabanton

As if it needed to be said, these shots will go through multiple revisions before any awarded finals which will probably be in September. Don't worry these shots get enough constructive criticism from people working on them ;)

Timbuktu

Looks too much like Ghost in the Shell. Audiences will be scared off.

I'm just playing. This looks really good. Gosling looks be channeling his performance from 'Drive' here.

This probably would never turn a profit, but what do I can, I don't really need a franchise. A decent second Blade Runner film is already considered a gift.

daviyoung

Banned
Where's the grit?

In Zero Theorem

tumblr_n9cqivIVrd1ql8t12o1_500.gif

border

The Blade Runner producers must be really biting their nails after Ghost in the Shell bombed. This shares so much of the same aesthetic that people were apathetic about.

Curious to see how the film not only shakes out, but how that initial impression holds and/or shifts over time.

Because it's not like the original film made an immediate impact, either. It kinda bounced off a lot of the general audience initially. It wasn't until HBO/VHS/Laserdisc that the cult began to form around it. That people realized the film had sorta snuck in the back door and set up shop in their heads.

This sequel is not going to get that sort of leeway, obviously. So it'll be interesting to see what happens if Villenueve/Green have cooked up a story that has a similarly delayed gratification arc to it, and how that will be recieved.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I loved it.

With that being said: Please don't give the final cut authority to Ridley Scott. Fucking please. I'm kind of comfortable with that since Dennis has said that his friends have final cut authority so his voice will matter in that.

I can't believe that in one year I'm getting Twin Peaks revival and Blade Runner sequel by awesome directors.

Kraftwerk

My thoughts on the plot from what I saw in the trailer;

Gosling in a replicant, and so is Harrison Ford. Ford somehow did not expire like the old replicants, which is why is he hiding out in a desolate location. Gosling is trying to find out how and change his destiny. The one page missing is probably something related to the source code in the programming or something of that sort, which will allow Gosling to live a longer life than the regular 4 years or how many it was before Replicants stop functioning.

ShutterMunster

Read the post. I said the lighting effect of that shot on Gosling and the car in this trailer is terrible, not that the shot is terrible. They can easily fix it by just changing the color temperature or darkening the car and Gosling. I'm sure they will, and I also never said anywhere that I assume it's final.

Criticism of the shot has already been brought to Deakins's attention, btw.
His explanation: "I timed this last trailer and the previous trailer as well. Of course, in a trailer you are timing the shots in a different order than in the final film so there will be differences. However, so much of the imagery was done 'in camera', with the colour and contrast set 'in camera' whenever there was CG work added, that it will all be pretty close to what was shot."

TheFlow

Banned

Gosling in a replicant, and so is Harrison Ford. Ford somehow did not expire like the old replicants, which is why is he hiding out in a desolate location. Gosling is trying to find out how and change his destiny. The one page missing is probably something related to the source code in the programming or something of that sort, which will allow Gosling to live a longer life than the regular 4 years or how many it was before Replicants stop functioning.

Looks great. and this sounds about right.

The only hole in this is that the filmmakers have flat-out stated that this film would not confirm or deny Deckard's status as a replicant.

border

Curious to see how the film not only shakes out, but how that initial impression holds and/or shifts over time.

Because it's not like the original film made an immediate impact, either. It kinda bounced off a lot of the general audience initially. It wasn't until HBO/VHS/Laserdisc that the cult began to form around it. That people realized the film had sorta snuck in the back door and set up shop in their heads.

When I was a kid in the mid/late 80's, I remember often looking at movie listings in the newspaper and seeing a few local theatres doing midnight showings of Blade Runner on Friday and Saturday nights (as was often done with Rocky Horror Picture Show). Was this a common phenomenon? Or just a random happenstance?

Kraftwerk

The only hole in this is that the filmmakers have flat-out stated that this film would not confirm or deny Deckard's status as a replicant.

Again, I could and will probably be totally wrong; but at the same time they have said shit like this before regarding Deckard being one or not. I still completely believe he is one due to the original and certain scenes.

This seems really plausible. I do wonder how it's going to connect with Leto's character, and the birthing/creation of replicants. And whatever it is that Robin Wright's character is talking about.

Replicants being allowed to have lives, live lives, and occupy the planet openly & freely is a pretty big shakeup from the last time we were in this universe, where people were tasked with murdering them as cleanly as possible upon their sneaking onto the planet.

edit: they probably don't have to comment on Deckard's being one or not explicitly since Ridley's done all the work for them on that front with his final cut of Blade Runner.

When I was a kid in the mid/late 80's, I remember often looking at movie listings in the newspaper and seeing a few local theatres doing midnight showings of Blade Runner on Friday and Saturday nights (as was often done with Rocky Horror Picture Show). Was this a common phenomenon?

I don't know about common, but I'd heard of those happening as well. The revival of the film in the early 90s only happened when one of those screenings turned out to have the workprint shipped to it, and people freaked out accordingly.

Eh, don't like how they're going for that action-movie angle.

Could just be the trailer. The original was sold in a way that led lots of audiences to believe it would be an action film as well.

I've never watched the original. It is my understanding there are multiple versions of the movie out there. What's the best one to watch? I'm willing to give it a shot and see if I like the movie then if I do, I'll see this one. :)

The final cut. Even ford thinks the theatre cut is trash with his comments on the narration aspect. It's feels really out of place and Im glad they removed it for the final cut.Personally I consider it to be fine since the films is an all time great.

However the final cut is better by the fact that it allows the film more time to breath and more time to suck you into the story and world. Everything connects much better.

Onto the trailer. Looks and more importantly sounds great. Nicely edited and has some intrigue to it.

Aurongel

Eh, don't like how they're going for that action-movie angle.

Likely just the trailer, Arrival was the same way. Hell, marketing even changed the title of the film to Arrival. The behind the scenes slates for the film all had the actual title "Story of your Life".

Criticism of the shot has already been brought to Deakins's attention, btw.
His explanation: "I timed this last trailer and the previous trailer as well. Of course, in a trailer you are timing the shots in a different order than in the final film so there will be differences. However, so much of the imagery was done 'in camera', with the colour and contrast set 'in camera' whenever there was CG work added, that it will all be pretty close to what was shot."

Is this sourced from Deakins' site?

Simo

I wonder if they'll use the incident and plot point from the original script and cut scene for Tyrell? If so I'd imagine there would be ramifications if it went public
that one of the most powerful individuals in the city and world turned out to be dead and a replicant. I wonder if it led to the interesting point Bobby observed...

Top Bottom