• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Official Trailer

That looked incredible. Roger Deakins is the GOAT cinematographer. And with Villeneuve in the director's seat, this has a shot at being the best film of the year.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I get why people are upset about how "clean" it looks, but I promise there's gonna be at least some design changes when the final cut is in theaters. Also, let Denny V do his thing. We don't need a 1:1 remake of Blade Runner, don't turn the dude into J.J. Abrams.

I get why people are upset about how "clean" it looks, but I promise there's gonna be at least some design changes when the final cut is in theaters. Also, let Denny V do his thing. We don't need a 1:1 remake of Blade Runner, don't turn the dude into J.J. Abrams.

I could kiss you right now, man. lol

What did I do to deserve a new Blade Runner from Denis Villenueve in the same year as a Star Wars film by Rian Johnson? Sometimes the world is good after all.

Davide

Perhaps you should just watch the movie you already own and then you could have a worthwhile opinion of it. I'm not saying mad max isn't mostly action but it's pointless judging movies like that without watching them.
Yeah I wasn't judging it or even expressing my opinion about it, just saying what it looked like to me from the trailers.

The first Blade Runner was boring as fuck me to, but this looks great.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the themes and deep meaning in BR, like how it's a world that seems to be full of sick, nihilistic people who take Life for granted while the Replicants, who have a very limited amount of time to live, try to extend their lives because they seem to appreciate existence more than humans do.

But still, Blade Runner was tough to sit through.

However, Villeneuve hasn't let us down yet.

Maligna

Banned
I'm sure Deckard won't survive this film.

I think Harrison is just going around to all the movies killing off his beloved characters at this point. Indiana Jones next, please.

JB1981

International trailer with a few different shots: https://youtu.be/nCiYj_Tf0XY

OK, I think I know the basic plotline the film is going to have:

Agent K is the son of Dekkard and Rachel. He is the "Key" that Leto is talking about finding. He tracks down Dekkard and finds out what/who he really is. He will be the bridge between human and replicant. He will either be the rise or fall of this society, a new hope or a call to arms.

I'm excited as fuck to see that play out.

I was thinking the same exact thing !

I wince every time I see Harrison Ford run on screen. Did the same during Star Wars: TFW. Plz don't break Harrison Ford guys. He's old and fragile. :(

III-V

The first Blade Runner was boring as fuck me to, but this looks great.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the themes and deep meaning in BR, like how it's a world that seems to be full of sick, nihilistic people who take Life for granted while the Replicants, who have a very limited amount of time to live, try to extend their lives because they seem to appreciate existence more than humans do.

But still, Blade Runner was tough to sit through.

However, Villeneuve hasn't let us down yet.

this is officially the worst take on BR I have ever seen.

Boogie9IGN

I think Harrison is just going around to all the movies killing off his beloved characters at this point. Indiana Jones next, please.

Well IJ5 is coming in 2019 so your wish will probably come true

Great trailer. I love The Gos

Oh I won't be surprised at all if Deckard dies in this film. In fact, I pretty much expect it at this point.

It's Indy that I have trouble seeing Harrison going out of his way to kill off. He always seemed to be Harrison's favorite character to me.

Exodust

Banned

I'm not one of those "it's too clean" guys, but I do have my issues with what the trailer showed me. One of which is that it seems like a modernization of the original as in "soft reboot" but really treading the same ground. Leto just looks like he'll be a new Tyrell, while Gosling is Deckard with a "is he human or is he replicant?" dilemma again. Just with more action, more explanations, more dialogue.

Now, the movie could very well end up pretty good regardless. And the trailer could be just the trailer and the film is more in tune with the originals atmosphere, but in a world where the trailer gives too much away(this one seems to as well) I can't help but have my gripes with it.

As for is the movie's quality? It'll probably be good. When it comes to Villeneuve I really liked Sicario and Arrival but hated Prisoners, so not in the "can do no wrong" camp nor do I think his movies are the best around. But he's certainly capable. The problem probably lies more within me than it does with the film itself. Not only does the movie have to be good, but it has to justify it's own existence. Having Harrison Ford in and of itself bothered me from the onset but I can at the very least accept it in a revival in this era of Hollywood. The film really looks like a retelling that takes in issues people had with the original, when a fan like me never had them. At least, it does to me. So it's hard not to be skeptical. If the series was ever revisited I would have wanted a completely separate story set within the world. Doesn't have to be Tyrell, Replicants or even have a Blade Runner, but that was never going to happen.

It is what it is. Not everything boils down to just nostalgia(although my points arguably does to some), more like the original movie had a tale with a beginning and ending without much more to uncover, or at least needs to be known. So that's why you'll see me and others a lot more skeptical of it.

wVmR2Cj.gif

In terms of looks and sound, I'm in.

In terms of the few lines from the characters and overall theme I'm getting from the trailer..eh.....not feeling it.

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt for now, but I can't say I'm SUPER excited about it and I'm a huge fan of the original.

Let's see how it all turns out.

Is there a good reason why a new Blade Runner movie is coming out and yet the US bluray is long out of print and hard to find for a fair price? I'd think they would want to rerelease it while the hype grows.

I can find other region sets okay but the special features seem to come on DVD rather than bluray, so while the movie is region free, the special features are not.

aaaaa0

Agent K is the son of Dekkard and Rachel. He is the "Key" that Leto is talking about finding. He tracks down Dekkard and finds out what/who he really is. He will be the bridge between human and replicant. He will either be the rise or fall of this society, a new hope or a call to arms.

This could only work if we find out that replicants are not actually androids at all, but actual humans artificially gestated with a 4 year time bomb in their DNA, in order to create a slave class for society that can never raise up and overthrow their masters.

And that the reason they can't pass a VK test isn't that they're not human, but that they aren't given enough time to develop true empathy and/or mentally crippled on purpose (as in Brave New World's Deltas and Epsilons).

Otherwise I'd find it really hard to believe human and replicants could ever have viable offspring together.

EDIT:

Yes I know they are "engineered living organisms". But it is a far cry from something that is "biological" to something that has enough human DNA and the right organs to create viable offspring with a human, which is what is implied if K is the son of Rachel and Deckard as Inceptional posits.

At what point does a replicant go from "engineered living organism" to actual human slave? And if it turns out that replicants are really just genetically modified humans built for slavery, what does that say about the society in the movie, and the job of the blade runners?

Do you know what it's called? I assume it's been used in other trailers? maybe not

Are you talking about the first half of the trailer or second. The first is a riff on Vengelis' score on the original. The second is awesome but have no idea where it came from.

Maybe they're of the same piece but not sure.
I think this was all created just for the trailer but would love to hear it in the actual film.

Fjordson

Is there a good reason why a new Blade Runner movie is coming out and yet the US bluray is long out of print and hard to find for a fair price? I'd think they would want to rerelease it while the hype grows.

I can find other region sets okay but the special features seem to come on DVD rather than bluray, so while the movie is region free, the special features are not.
What the hell. Didn't believe you until I looked it up, that's bizarre.

One of the best blu-rays I own, with all the various cuts and bonus material. Really strange it doesn't seem to be readily available.

Edit: they had just put out a new complete edition like two years ago in a digipack case so it shouldn't be out of print. Wonder if they're readying yet another edition to hit with 2049.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell. Didn't believe you until I looked it up, that's bizarre.

One of the best blu-rays I own, with all the various cuts and bonus material. Really strange it doesn't seem to be readily available.

Edit: they had just put out a new complete edition like two years ago in a digipack case so it shouldn't be out of print. Wonder if they're readying yet another edition to hit with 2049.

Yeah that's really weird, it's always been a home media staple.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
This could only work if we find out that replicants are not actually androids at all, but actual humans artificially gestated with a 4 year time bomb in their DNA, in order to create a slave class for society that can never raise up and overthrow their masters.

Didn't Ridley say that Replicants are a combination of biological and robotic elements?

so Deckard is human afterall??

Will be left ambiguous, probably, according to Dennis. And contrary to Ridley's wishes probably as well.

As a big filmbuff that buys lots of movies, I can tell you that the era of deluxe-super-mega editions has long passed. Studios have gotten really cheap on that front. It's a real shame but hopefully WB will splurge and put another edition out with all the material from the 5-disn collector's edition once we're closer to October.

And yea it's a really amazing set. Probably my favorite blu-ray next to The Alien Anthology set.

Didn't Ridley say that Replicants are a combination of biological and robotic elements?

Will be left ambiguous, probably, according to Dennis. And contrary to Ridley's wishes probably as well.

I find it strange that people assume they have mechanical parts like rotating gears and shit. I would imagine they're basically like Ash or Bishop, only with red blood. This ain't GitS my friends.

aaaaa0

There's a big difference between having biological elements and being basically 100% human, just with a death timebomb coded into the DNA.

It would make no sense that something with "biological elements" could reproduce with a real human otherwise. It would be like having a human successfully breed with a monkey. [I was commenting on Inceptional's theory that K is the son of Deckard (human) and Rachel (replicant).]

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
There's a big difference between having biological elements and being basically 100% human, just with a death timebomb coded into the DNA.

It would make no sense that something with "biological elements" could reproduce with a real human otherwise. It would be like having a human successfully breed with a monkey. [I was commenting on Inceptional's theory that K is the son of Deckard (human) and Rachel (replicant).]

You'd be implying in the first place that Deckard is human, and well, there are differing opinions on that, to say the least. But I don't disagree.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Has there been anything on it's rating?

Looks pretty bloody for a PG-13 flick.

I'd love it if they'd allow Dennis to go for an R-rating. It'll probably be a hard-PG-13 though.

Why else would there be a VOIDCOMP test otherwise? There must be an easier way if they're that robotic. Also remember the phrase "more human than human?"

Also, I'm not saying all replicants can give birth. Rachel was a special case who didn't even know she was a replicant. She was also special to Tyrell. Maybe he designed her with a reproductive system?

Top Bottom