• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blaster Master Zero |OT| A Blast from the Past

Anyone else think this game is really ugly? The art and color palate is such so bad. I'm enjoying the game still though!

giphy.gif

Kadin

Now THIS is the Blaster Master game I wanted to play all these years after the original. Just enough of the first to bring back great memories, and enough new to feel like a fresh new game. And the price is more than reasonable - I'd say it's a steal.

me0wish

The OG was super difficult, still never beat it. Gameplay is so smooth though. The opening cut scene with that soundtrack was just awesome back then.
That's the most important part for me, and I really don't mind difficult games, unless they were frustrating. Judging from some footage of the original, I think I'd love it
(I hope :p)

I find some HD Rumble implementation to be a little too aggressive but I love the more subtle vibrations like jumping out of water and using a charge shot. Explosions are just a tad too heavy.

HD rumble isn't working for me at all? I even went to the options menu, and its turned on?

1upsuper

Definitely gonna pick this up. I'm a major NES/Famicom aficionado but I never actually beat the original Blaster Master despite really enjoying it.

Erekiddo

It feels like you can get stuck, often.

If you park your vehicle up high, jump out and off the platform, there's no way to get back to it.

Additionally, I'm currently in an area I can't get back out of.

steveovig

I bought this an hour or two ago and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Using the janky Joy-Con buttons for a D-Pad is kind of a pain but everything else seems really great. I didn't manage to discover how badass the last gun was until around the second boss. I just started Area 3 and I'd recommend this game to all that can hear my voice.

Kadin

I'm not sure if I'm seeing things or not but it seems that at least one boss is more sensitive to the flame mod from the gun than other options. When I hit it, it seems to do a ton of dmg plus they turn a reddish color (not from the flame itself) to indicate (I think) that they're taking higher dmg. Anyone else noticed this with this mod or any of the others? This is while I'm on foot.

duckroll

So is this game actually good (if you liked Gunvolt, MN9, and Gal Gun don't bother answering!) or is it yet another Inti-Creates game with nice sprite work but underwhelming gameplay and lame level design?

jhawk6

Finished a close to 3 hour session. Just entered Area 5. Glad to hear there are 8 total areas. Seems about perfect length for this.

I owned the NES version and am just about if not father along in this version than I ever got in the original. I've noticed quite a few changes but nothing I thought was blasphemous. The bosses you fight in the tank are a welcome addition.

I've been playing exclusively in handheld mode and have noticed some slowdown, especially in Area 4 the Waterworks. Slight hiccups though.

Top down sections are a breeze once u get the item that lets u get hit and not lose gun power. It takes a few seconds to recharge but if you're careful you will always have the ultimate face melting Wave gun and it's really a cakewalk with that weapon.

Chiming in on the rumble, it felt really cool at first. By the end of my session it wasn't as pronounced but I was probably just getting used to it. It was used a lot in the Waterworks top down sections.

Anyway, definitely looking forward to playing more and finally finishing this revamped Blaster Master!
Will satisfy the kid in me that never got to ha

hongcha

I bought this for my New 3DS XL, as I don't have a Switch yet. Actually, even if I did I would still buy it for 3DS instead. Native 240p res plus d-pad is hard to beat. Looks great on the 3DS screen. I've only played a bit but it's really good so far.

By the way the Japanese version (which I bought) has a language select option in the Options menu. You can play in English if you want.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Am I imagining things, or does the short travel distance of the joycon analog stick make it a relatively decent d-pad alternative? I mean like decent relative to the four separate buttons. It feels pretty alright to me when I'm not using the Pro Controller for whatever reason.

You can''t believe how psyched I was to find I still had this poster. It's crazy to think there was a time when they would build a physically articulated model for a magazine shoot like this!

bmposter.JPG

sorry for the giant filesize

i wanted that toy so bad!!!! until i found out it was just special effects =)

No 3D on 3DS after all eh. Well that stinks but I can't say I'm surprised. Do they at least put a map on the bottom screen or something?

I'll probably buy it anyway, waiting on an actual review of the 3DS version.

Boo, I would have gotten this on the 3DS if it had good 3D implemented. I absolutely love the look of 2D games with 3D enabled on the 3DS.

No 3D on 3DS after all eh. Well that stinks but I can't say I'm surprised. Do they at least put a map on the bottom screen or something?

I'll probably buy it anyway, waiting on an actual review of the 3DS version.

wait what? i was looking at the OP's post....

damn... i guess i have no choice now but to open my switch

Kadin

I wish Switch had a second screen for the map
2 screens was so convenient, SAD!
And yet on the 3DS version, all we get is a screen to touch to activate the menu. Map and everything else still appears on the top screen.

This game seems really good? Played it for about 1.5 hours and had fun. It's like a NES game, but made not to be ridiculously hard. Dunno how long the game is, what I've played was good, but it seems like I'm breezing through stuff really quick.

taoofjord

Yeaaah. This game is really fun. I truly love playing indie and 2D games on the Switch, I've even gotten used to the d-pad. The analog stick is surprisingly good for 2D as well due to the smaller range in movement compared to other sticks. And the HD rumble is really cool too.

Man, playing games with this kind of sprite work on the Switch's screen is just phenomenal.

This thing will be an indie machine for me.

Beartruck

So is this game actually good (if you liked Gunvolt, MN9, and Gal Gun don't bother answering!) or is it yet another Inti-Creates game with nice sprite work but underwhelming gameplay and lame level design?

Only 20 minutes in, but my prevailing thought was "They pulled a Megaman 9 on Blaster Master."

On the record, hated MN9 and Galgun but thought Gunvolt was OK.

Is this game pretty difficult like clearing the Inti Creates Mega Man Zero games with a good score?

I like the difficulty of the Mega Man Zero games but if it's as hard as them, I better finish the Mega Man Zero series before I pick up another of that difficulty

Pinky

Banned
Downloaded and played up to the first boss
(Mother Brain)
. Yep, this is Blaster Master! Great so far! And, yes, the HD Rumble at the beginning is pretty badass!

And, as others have said, the game looks great when playing in handheld mode. Switch will be a great indie machine.

btrboyev

You can''t believe how psyched I was to find I still had this poster. It's crazy to think there was a time when they would build a physically articulated model for a magazine shoot like this!

bmposter.JPG

sorry for the giant filesize

I remember that poster. This game inspired me when I was in 5th grade that I started to build my own vehicle. I thought I could do it. Granted, my very first parts were pillows and blankets.

Jobbs

Banned
For the hell of it I decided to try playing with one tiny joycon in horizontal mode. I have no deep desire to play this way, I just wanted to try it.

I set it up in the OS which seems to work, but in the game it won't recognize it as a solo controller. Then -- upon returning to the OS, the OS no longer views it as a solo controller.

I'm not sure if the OS is a bit flakey or if it's the game itself.

The positive impressions really make me want this. I remember the original game pretty fondly.

I normally don't play these type of old school games but I gave this one a shot because of the all the buzz.

The buzz isn't wrong, This game is f'n fantastic. I love the variety in weapons/powerups as well as the vehicle aspect the game. The level/maps are well done and I love the fact that that they mixed in top down view for a part of the maps.

The save/continue system is really well done and I never felt frustrated after dying..especially after boss fights. this is where you should try another weapon power-up if you die. If one power-up isn't powerful, another one most certainly will. What's great that you won't have to walk all the way back from the beginning to fight the boss.

when it comes to the graphics, it feels like the switch screen was built for these type of games as they look much better than I thought they would. Not sure what it is, but this game feels like it belongs on the Switch and nowhere else.

From a goober that normally don't touch these type of games, I'm really glad I took a chance on this one. Highly, highly recommend this game.

Finished a close to 3 hour session. Just entered Area 5. Glad to hear there are 8 total areas. Seems about perfect length for this.

I owned the NES version and am just about if not father along in this version than I ever got in the original. I've noticed quite a few changes but nothing I thought was blasphemous. The bosses you fight in the tank are a welcome addition.

I've been playing exclusively in handheld mode and have noticed some slowdown, especially in Area 4 the Waterworks. Slight hiccups though.

Top down sections are a breeze once u get the item that lets u get hit and not lose gun power. It takes a few seconds to recharge but if you're careful you will always have the ultimate face melting Wave gun and it's really a cakewalk with that weapon.

Chiming in on the rumble, it felt really cool at first. By the end of my session it wasn't as pronounced but I was probably just getting used to it. It was used a lot in the Waterworks top down sections.

Anyway, definitely looking forward to playing more and finally finishing this revamped Blaster Master!
Will satisfy the kid in me that never got to ha

There are actually
NINE
areas. You have to
collect all items, counting area maps as well, and fully explore all maps.to unlock area 9

Lyrian

Longtime BM fan from my childhood so picked this up without even blinking.

Thoughts after completing Area 2:

-- It's Blaster Master, but it feels like a semi-lazy remake early on. Areas are the mostly the same as the original NES, with only a few creative liberties taken so far in terms of world design. Bosses 1 and 2 are the same as in the NES. Primary Sophia powerups are also so far the same as in the NES version. No new enemy types yet that were not in Areas 1 and 2 in the NES version.

-- There are many "modern conveniences" that were not present in the original game, including area/dungeon maps, save points (even right before bosses in dungeons), and life extensions. The player can also "lock" in a gun choice for Jason in the menu screen, so that a lower-level gun can be used when a higher numb of gun-ups are collected. Some bosses are weak against some of the lower level guns (such as the Area 2 boss).

-- There are optional items available (like the Energy Guard) that considerably lower the difficulty of the game. Purists will definitely want to avoid picking these up. Fortunately, so far, these are all optional and none of them are mandatory to pick up.

-- Homing missiles are **much** more accurate. Which is good, because caterpillars still are a PITA in this version of the game.

Jury still out on this one. Nostalgia is good, but so far the game is somewhat easy and doesn't stray out from its source material much.

Rezbit

As someone who never played the original would this be a good pickup? It looks really cool and heck it's only 13 Aussie dollarydoos.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Game is pretty easy for an old school gamer. Nothing near the old NES game in difficulty.

In every other aspect this game is the real deal. Graphics, music, presentation. About the only thing I can think of that screams "modern" are the frequent saves and checkpoints.

About 2 hours into this I'd rate it a 8/10 overall, and probably a 9/10 in value and presentation.

Great game. Just wish it was a little harder/more unforgiving to go along with its 80s aesthetic. Though I'm sure plenty will find the difficulty perfectly fine.

I don't get the ooh ahh over HD Rumble, but I've also had an iPhone 6s and 7, MacBook Pro and Apple Watch all with modern haptics. Are people just still used the PS4/XBONE rumble? I mean it's decent.. way better than the old pager motors.. but it's still just rumble here so far. I have yet to feel anything like a click on an iPhone home button or MacBook track pad.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
I've got the blaster master worlds of power novel floating around somewhere! I had the metal gear one too if i recall? Wonder how much they go of these days?

Dipship31

It feels like you can get stuck, often.

If you park your vehicle up high, jump out and off the platform, there's no way to get back to it.

Additionally, I'm currently in an area I can't get back out of.

Heh, yep that sounds like the Blaster Master I remember

bumpkin

Can this be played with a single Joy-Con or does it require you to use two in a Grip?

I had a friend who owned the original game on the NES. Used to watch him play it a ton, I was never very good at it. Being older and wiser, maybe I'll have better odds.

Nosgotham

A lot of the level design is literally from the NES game. If you enjoyed the original, this will be right up your alley. I consider it great

duckroll

Bought it. Seems okay so far. The intro is way too long but whatever. Feels like a Blaster Master remake so far, so that's okay. Hope it doesn't turn into some lameass score attack Gunvolt crap behind my back.

Syranth

It's a really good game but I can't help but think that it had a really solid base to start from. Like all the devs had to do was paint by numbers (follow the original) and all would be well.

It's also super easy. Way easy.

Still fun and something nice to play for $10. Recommended.

This game is gorgeous on the switch in portable mode. This game actually managed to transport me back to the days when sprite based games got me super excited. It's like a love letter to the NES/SNES generation.

I get sort of sweaty thinking of a sprite based Metroid or Castlevania or something done like this on the Switch.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
And I can't wait, but it's still not Castlevania proper-- I'm happy that Bloodstained is coming, the demo I played was cool enough for an early build and I think it'll end up turning out quite well, but I need Belmonts and Dracula and shit. Maybe the console will prompt Konami to look into it, but that company these days, yikes. Do not misinterpret-- I have little hope for that lol

One of the best things konami ddi this generation was port all the GBA castlevania games to the Wiiu VC, I just wish they did it for the DS VC aswell.

Top Bottom