• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne gameplay : The first 18 minutes

Lernaean

Banned
I've spent some more time with the new video for Bloodborne, and I've reached some more conclusions

http://i.imgur.com/59hzCgP.jpg

First, this has been said before, but "Blood Echoes" are not Soul Memory. The naming convention is strange, but you spend blood echoes to buy things in the Hunter's Dream. I was wrong about this, until I dug deeper into the screens. It is not absolutely clear, but it seems that blood echoes are the equivalent of "blood" they could still technically be separate, but I doubt it.

So called "trick weapons" don't have stat scaling. So far. Perhaps this is the tradeoff you make for their versatility?

http://i.imgur.com/3NJCsdm.jpg

The Sun is out. It's not just that Yarnham is depicted at dusk here. You can see the sun is relatively high in the sky.

http://i.imgur.com/zrESh8j.jpg

Consumable Items are more important than ever before. As you can see here, Firebombs (and even pebbles for that matter) have damage that scales with stats. Firebombs scale with strength and scale at an "A" with the arcane stat. This to me indicates that magic isn't happening, because it looks your arcane stat is going to drive the effectiveness of items and specialized technological weapons. Since you can by firebombs from the start, I expect to use them more, for a longer portion of the game than before.

There is one conspicuous slot that forces me to not fully rule magic out. That box in the top right sure looks mysterious, maybe even magical?

http://i.imgur.com/y9HlKpH.jpg

Game design seems really strong. The game is packed with environmental cues. Here, a dog is growling at an otherwise invisible NPC. Little hints like this are the hallmark of the good design that FROM is known for.

http://i.imgur.com/cobAHxc.jpg

Look at that carpet texture. No big deal here. I just think is it looks great in the video.

Insight Stat: Due to its placement on the character sheet, I expect insight to have some relationship to PvP. Insight may indicate your ability to perceive other players as human rather than beasts and therefor interact with them. This is all conjecture, but I think "Bold Hunter's Marks" provide you with the humanity-like stat to open the door to PvP. Why else would a fellow hunter hand them to you?

Good observations all.

Aces&Eights

This game. Man, I'm gonna lose a lot of life hours. I'm 41 and based on my current health and diet, I should have a strong 10 more years. Taking out 8 hours a day for work, a little for sleep and a couple for miscellaneous bathroom/alone time together with the negative Y factor of residual exwife soul degradation, I think I should be able to get about 44,638 hours in on this game.

Sweet.

commissar

As someone who disliked the sword and shield methodical pace of the previous entries*, Bloodborne looks like it's the game for me.

Hopefully there's no zzzz fire and brimstone areas.

*maybe you could play a nimble wizard or go no armour hardcore or whatever but I wasn't interested in slavishly following walkthroughs for the pre-knowledge of archer placements etc.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I still think there's a game mechanic reason for the dev wanting the blood to build up on the protagonist. I think it's an overlooked 'bar' and probably has something to do with the day/night cycle. I'm thinking Soul Reaver. Perhaps that archway we see in the latest build isn't a downgrade but what it transforms to during the day cycle? Once we get fully covered in blood we can switch back to the opposite night cycle and visa versa? I'd like that. Some areas could be blocked by a wall and only be accessible once you've switched to the next cycle, which means you would have to HUNT enemies to get blooded again to do so. We hear voices talking to him here and there but don't see the person talking ... Perhaps the person is in the night realm.

RexNovis

Banned
Woah Woah Woah!

Holy crap.

This is beyond creepy, that I've been labeled this through a cut and paste of past posts.

Like I said, anyone who wants to play this game is more than welcome to. Hell, I competely forgot this was a PS4 exclusive, my opinion would have been the same even if it wasn't.

And I have made it clear that this is entirely my opinion and yes, that means it can be wrong.

Wow.

I just.

Now see "labeling" would imply it was someone else attributing an undeserved flaw or name to you whereas, in reality, it is your own actions (posts) that do all the talking. The words you are looking for are "called out" and yes you have been because it's painfully obvious and downright predictable at this point. But by all means continue the charade of posting "just your opinions" on game threads just don't expect people to take them seriously.

Naw man, not at all. It's nonsensically-designed (what is that switch that changes the floor doing there again??) and principal challenge is the B team stuffing the place with Anor Londo archers without understanding what made the Anor Londo archers such a singularly memorable challenge.

Yea.

I think my problem is that I'm just not impressed by incremental change so really this thing is a bit 'meh' for me.

On the flipside, that roguelike dungeon randomizer idea is pretty awesome guys.

I am sure this will definitely be a fun game.

Enjoy it.

How's that Wii U working out for you? I love it - Mario Kart and Smash and whatnot.
But, I often enjoy reiteration and mere incremental change.

Gun Animal

Well color me surprised. You voicing negative sentiment about a PS4 game?!?! Perish the thought!

On the Uncharted Series

On Uncharted 4

On SFV

On RE: Remaster

So much concern must be truly exhausting. You might want to cut back before you give yourself an ulcer.

I just want to say this is the best post I've ever seen on this site and also I'm glad to see that shield-turtling is gone, although I hope some kind of defensive playstyle is still available. FROM has never seemed that interested in optimizing their games so all things considered the IQ could be a lot worse. Looks as beautiful and mechanically deep and technically flawed as Dark Souls.

I get what you're saying, I too was expecting a little more given the jump in hardware and development time, but I also think the game looks great as it is and as I said in another post, the art and atmosphere is enough for me to look over any technical shortcomings.

As for the gameplay, goes without saying it's going to be as engaging and entertaining as the previous Souls games.

I agree that it will be a fun follow up for people who want more dark souls. All of the marquee conventions are still prevalent and the roguelike pitch is nice too.

I've spent some more time with the new video for Bloodborne, and I've reached some more conclusions

http://i.imgur.com/59hzCgP.jpg

First, this has been said before, but "Blood Echoes" are not Soul Memory. The naming convention is strange, but you spend blood echoes to buy things in the Hunter's Dream. I was wrong about this, until I dug deeper into the screens. It is not absolutely clear, but it seems that blood echoes are the equivalent of "blood" they could still technically be separate, but I doubt it.

So called "trick weapons" don't have stat scaling. So far. Perhaps this is the tradeoff you make for their versatility?

http://i.imgur.com/3NJCsdm.jpg

The Sun is out. It's not just that Yarnham is depicted at dusk here. You can see the sun is relatively high in the sky.

http://i.imgur.com/zrESh8j.jpg

Consumable Items are more important than ever before. As you can see here, Firebombs (and even pebbles for that matter) have damage that scales with stats. Firebombs scale with strength and scale at an "A" with the arcane stat. This to me indicates that magic isn't happening, because it looks your arcane stat is going to drive the effectiveness of items and specialized technological weapons. Since you can by firebombs from the start, I expect to use them more, for a longer portion of the game than before.

There is one conspicuous slot that forces me to not fully rule magic out. That box in the top right sure looks mysterious, maybe even magical?

http://i.imgur.com/y9HlKpH.jpg

Game design seems really strong. The game is packed with environmental cues. Here, a dog is growling at an otherwise invisible NPC. Little hints like this are the hallmark of the good design that FROM is known for.

http://i.imgur.com/cobAHxc.jpg

Look at that carpet texture. No big deal here. I just think is it looks great in the video.

Insight Stat: Due to its placement on the character sheet, I expect insight to have some relationship to PvP. Insight may indicate your ability to perceive other players as human rather than beasts and therefor interact with them. This is all conjecture, but I think "Bold Hunter's Marks" provide you with the humanity-like stat to open the door to PvP. Why else would a fellow hunter hand them to you?

Incredibly awesome insight. Really enjoying the lore discussion here and a few pages back. Makes me eager for the inevitable Bloodborne Spoilers Thread.

Seriously, though.

Female player characters represent.

Hear, hear! All my first Souls characters have been female, and Bloodborne will be no different.

Lernaean

Banned
How's that Wii U working out for you? I love it - Mario Kart and Smash and whatnot.
But, I often enjoy reiteration and mere incremental change.

This post is just as inappropriate as dragonfart's posts are.
We have a beautifully crafted game in the making and some of you are seeing it as an opportunity to shit on each other's black box.

This post is just as inappropriate as dragonfart's posts are.
We have a beautifully crafted game in the making and some of you are seeing it as an opportunity to shit on each other's black box.

What? I'm not being sarcastic, I really do love my Wii U. I don't have a PS4 yet - buying it in March alongside Bloodborne.

Lernaean

Banned
What? I'm not being sarcastic, I really do love my Wii U. I don't have a PS4 yet - buying it in March alongside Bloodborne.

Never said sarcastic or anything like that. I said inappropriate.
If any bullshit and obviously trollish post is countered this way, it is adding more fuel to the list wars.
Best approach us to ignore them.

Never said sarcastic or anything like that. I said inappropriate.
If any bullshit and obviously trollish post is countered this way, it is adding more fuel to the list wars.
Best approach us to ignore them.

Well, I'm certainly not planning on pooping on any boxes! That is pretty close to the definition of inappropriate. His disingenuous comment about "incremental change" irked me - it's the dumbest criticism in all of gamedom - but, you are right for the most part that engaging boorish comments is counter-effective.

I think the Hunter's Dream will continue to serve as a Hub even after burning down. The Nexus changed dramatically and maybe the burning is also some "dreamlike" deal or something. (on-topic!) (well, the mood in the Nexus changed very dramatically with one visitor in particular but it didn't do anything as cool as burning down.)

Lernaean

Banned
I think the Hunter's Dream will continue to serve as a Hub even after burning down. The Nexus changed dramatically and maybe the burning is also some "dreamlike" deal or something. (on-topic!) (well, the mood in the Nexus changed very dramatically with one visitor in particular but it didn't do anything as cool as burning down.)

Good point, you are talking about M i think and you are probably right.
Hub might not relocate after it burns, but it might change dramatically, and with it, its inhabitants. It sounds like a good concept.

Raybunny

Good point, you are talking about M i think and you are probably right.
Hub might not relocate after it burns, but it might change dramatically, and with it, its inhabitants. It sounds like a good concept.

"This will be your home... for now!"

Many speculation can come from this statement.

As I previously said:

I like the furnace in the Hunter's dream and blood this time is the currency, sounds perfect.

Things I am putting my thoughts on:

I wonder how our character stat progress works.
I suppose there are a few more things to explore on the hunter's dream maybe some more interactive npcs that might join in with your journey.
The Wheelchair npc said this was his home for now... What can he mean by that. Will the dream change if you "evolve"?
How the werewolf transformation works ( conditions, playability).

We saw the hub house burning, will the hub still exists but there will be no home/house (literally)? hmmm

Brohan

Yeah, read it.
There's one more thing that i have in mind.
The 'ordinary doll'. I have a feeling she is not a prop. I feel it will play a part as you progress.

Yeah, that definitely doesn't seem like an ordinary doll.

Way too creepy and mysterious.

Setting the Hunter's Refuge ablaze seems like a symbolic act as well as an actual ancient tactic of flushing out "beasts" for hunting down. Fire is also a primal response to disease outbreak or blood if you will. Burn it to the ground and salt the Earth. Maybe after an introductory period the safety of the house gives way to the hunt and hunted mechanic. Very intrigued still about the exact nature of the PvP as well.

Raybunny

Yeah, read it.
There's one more thing that i have in mind.
The 'ordinary doll'. I have a feeling she is not a prop. I feel it will play a part as you progress.

Indeed, will the wheelchair npc "soul" go to the doll after the house is burned down( if he is killed in the process)? Sounds interesting and creepy at the same time.

Setting the Hunter's Refuge ablaze seems like a symbolic act as well as an actual ancient tactic of flushing out "beasts" for hunting down. Fire is also a primal response to disease outbreak or blood if you will. Burn it to the ground and salt the Earth. Maybe after an introductory period the safety of the house gives way to the hunt and hunted mechanic. Very intrigued still about the exact nature of the PvP as well.

I like the way you think about it. Fits well.

sprinkles

Not wanting to spoil myself I have a question for the folks who watched this and other gameplay videos: is this one game alone a reason to spend 400+ € for a PS4?

I bought a PS3 pretty much just for Demon's Souls after playing DS I+II on PC. There are no other (announced) exclusives on the system that interest me.

Brohan

Not wanting to spoil myself I have a question for the folks who watched this and other gameplay videos: is this one game alone a reason to spend 400+ € for a PS4?

I bought a PS3 pretty much just for Demon's Souls after playing DS I+II on PC. There are no other (announced) exclusives on the system that interest me.

It is for some, i've seen plenty of people say that they are going to buy a ps4 just for bloodborne.

But if you are unsure because you are not interested in much else (think you should look better though,there are a ton of good games coming) then why not wait for reviews and impressions?

Raybunny

I ended up buying a ps4 with the only purpose of this game, meanwhile I got freebies from the PS plus and have to share with you that It made my money worth.

I ended up buying a ps4 with the only purpose of this game, meanwhile I got freebies from the PS plus and have to share with you that It made my money worth.

I have enjoyed the free PS+ games a lot. In the last while I have beaten, The Swapper, Dust, Steamworld Dig, and I am moving on to Transistor and Apotheon. There has been a lot of value there.

I also finally settled on the PS4 because of Bloodborne, but TLOU Remastered sweetened the deal. I'm a diehard souls fan, but I have gotten lots of other value out of the purchase, I don't know if it's worth it for BB only. my advice is dig around a bit and see if there are games you would buy and play on PS4 to make it a better deal.

Wait for reviews/impressions from the final game.

sprinkles

But if you are unsure because you are not interested in much else (think you should look better though,there are a ton of good games coming) then why not wait for reviews and impressions?
Well to finish my backlog on Steam and Vita would take ages even if only play the games I really want to out of those; the AAA games releasing this year that I am interested in are multiplatform; and I am mostly playing smaller games or CRPG's nowadays - so even if I wish to play Bloodborne I am having a hard time justifying so much money for 1 game.

GnawtyDog

Banned
the amount of "concern posts" is just a new indicator for games going to be great.

For Bloodborne. I think a thread like this had a long time coming. The hype was off the roof with the leak, announcement etc. Gameplay wise the game is practically a standard so... you can't easily critizize the game by clinching to "cinematic", "movie" bs that is used against games like the Order or Uncharted. It's all about magnifying whatever can be perceived as a flaw and sticking to that - the cover, your opinion - always.

The concern was never allowed to thrive see - but it was always there - just waiting for its time. When you suppress that concern for so long, it's bound to burst at whatever sticks. Just so happens that the graphics melodrama just stuck in this thread. Given the plausible credence of the fact that the game is one month from release. It does not matter if footage is up to date or final. 4-6 months ago the concern would be ridiculed and it would of been unwise to take the plunge. Now it has more validity the more it's quoted - until release.

Forum politics.

Shengar

Hooooo shit I didn't even think of that. And what's more, there is no boss fog the first time you find a boss, they just appear and the fight begins.

In case of Cleric Beast, it's not it appears out of thin air though. The location of the boss fight already foreshadow by its own scream that you heard earlier. I guess we wouldn't be taken by surprised by any other boss, assuming that they too have proper foreshadowing of where the boss fight will take place beforehand.

"You've found yourself a Hunter" says the voice of DeS Nexus MiB to the distorted doll-like messenger horrors after the vanquishing of the Blood Wolf by Fire.

I feel the voice we are hearing will be affiliated with the ordinary doll somehow making it the MiB of The Dream with the messengers very loosely representing other players around the world since it is the method of communication. Wheelchair man lost her to death - dreams - transformation? Imprisoned or hiding during the Plague? She has some larger connection to Yharnam perhaps which is why she rests in 'ordinary doll' form at the Dream Refuge or does she and if so how does it relate to the Burning. A Fever Dream. Lots of options.

To what game purpose though other than being referential? Though Miyazaki is a massive fan of callbacks just for the sake of it.

UMBASA

For Bloodborne. I think a thread like this had a long time coming. The hype was off the roof with the leak, announcement etc. Gameplay wise the game is practically a standard so... you can't easily critizize the game by clinching to "cinematic", "movie" bs that is used against games like the Order or Uncharted. It's all about magnifying whatever can be perceived as a flaw and sticking to that - the cover, your opinion - always.

The concern was never allowed to thrive see - but it was always there - just waiting for its time. When you suppress that concern for so long, it's bound to burst at whatever sticks. Just so happens that the graphics melodrama just stuck in this thread. Given the plausible credence of the fact that the game is one month from release. It does not matter if footage is up to date or final. 4-6 months ago the concern would be ridiculed and it would of been unwise to take the plunge. Now it has more validity the more it's quoted - until release.

Forum politics.

The persecution complex and crying wolf about 'concern posting' is pretty crazy too.

Shengar

To what game purpose though other than being referential? Though Miyazaki is a massive fan of callbacks just for the sake of it.

UMBASA
I think all of that is just referential if we accustomed to what Fromsoft doing with Moonlight Sword in past years. As for that sound, I guess shes isn't that doll. Perhaps she'll be the old man tender since we've seen someone behind him when the house is burned (or that could be the Hunter though).
The persecution complex and crying wolf about 'concern posting' is pretty crazy too.

These days I just see the first five pages or so before finally moved on. The amount of shitposts from both sides makes my head hurt. It shames really though since from every video they release we could have actual discussion of what being shown (outside graphic) and speculation on it.

Raybunny

I have enjoyed the free PS+ games a lot. In the last while I have beaten, The Swapper, Dust, Steamworld Dig, and I am moving on to Transistor and Apotheon. There has been a lot of value there.

I also finally settled on the PS4 because of Bloodborne, but TLOU Remastered sweetened the deal. I'm a diehard souls fan, but I have gotten lots of other value out of the purchase, I don't know if it's worth it for BB only. my advice is dig around a bit and see if there are games you would buy and play on PS4 to make it a better deal.

Yes indeed TLOU remastered is a game worth playing even if played before on the old gen. Second light, Dust, The swapper and transistor are amazing games that made and make my PS4 worth.

Top Bottom