• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne gameplay : The first 18 minutes

AngryMoth

Only thing in the video that's a bit disappointing to me is that there appears to only be 6 primary stats. Not that I would want them to add superfluous ones to get the number higher, but I imagine this will lead to less variety and complexity of builds.

Dunkley

Cutscenes look ass but in-game looks great, besides visuals it seems more Souls like than I expected, so I can't complain. Might get a PS4 for this.

Shengar

Only thing in the video that's a bit disappointing to me is that there appears to only be 6 primary stats. Not that I would want them to add superfluous ones to get the number higher, but I imagine this will lead to less variety and complexity of builds.

Is it? I guess the uniqueness of each weapons trick and function of different guns will make big difference.

Mutombo

Most characters were just either DEX/STR and then VIT/END anyway.

Valnen

Grimløck;150543737 said:
nah, it's more than that. if a poster has a history then it's more than mere criticism.
You're basically just saying that criticizing more than one game is somehow a bad thing.

You're basically just saying that criticizing more than one game is somehow abad thing.

Yes, this is such an important service the shitposters are providing. Thank heavens for all the posts complaining about how this game looks like it is for ps3.

Can we go back to discussing lore and gameplay now?

Shengar

You're basically just saying that criticizing more than one game is somehow abad thing.

It can't be helped if his criticisms have a pattern in them.

Yes, this is such an important service the shitposters are providing. Thank heavens for all the posts complaining about how this game looks like it is for ps3.

We should create Bloodborne Speculation thread somehow. I'm surprised there isn't one really.

It's just a temporary hub anyways.

8B4wTS3.png

AcsVUHs.png

oh fuck

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I think the problem we are seeing now stems from the fact that the Souls series gained too much popularity and is now something that all the posers and crybabies that comprise the casual gaming crowd have set their sights on. .

Some of you Dark series' fans can be very hostile to people outside your bubble huh, geezz, as if those that like "casual gaming" (what the fuck does this word even mean anymore) have no right to play and enjoy games like this.

Anyways,

Didn't really like Demon's and Dark Souls 1/2, but I am willing to give this a chance, since the setting fits my preferences more (no more knights+shields era, yeah!)

One thing though: this game will have a terrible ending, I am sure. Terrible not in terms of quality, but "mood", an ending that shies away as far as it can from the word "happy", I am sure, hahaha.

Some of you Dark series' fans can be very hostile to people outside your bubble huh, geezz, as if those that like "casual gaming" (what the fuck does this word even mean anymore) have no right to play and enjoy games like this.

That isn't really the point.

It is those that like "casual gaming" coming in and changing a game like this because they don't enjoy it. Then once again people who like tough or challenging games have nothing to play until the next "souls" comes around.

Which can take quite some time.

Hiko

Banned

Dark Souls had vit/end/str/dex/int/faith. Same number of stats.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Anyways,

Didn't really like Demon's and Dark Souls 1/2, but I am willing to give this a chance, since the setting fits my preferences more (no more knights+shields era, yeah!)

One thing though: this game will have a terrible ending, I am sure. Terrible not in terms of quality, but "mood", an ending that shies away as far as it can from the word "happy", I am sure, hahaha.

Duuude, come one. Vita Bro to Vita Bro, let's be real. All the "snobby Souls fans" talk should have died out long ago. Fans of these games (including the majority of posters in this thread) will want as many people as possible to play and enjoy it, including casuals.

The real hostility is coming from the people getting called out. I know we should ignore them, but sometimes passion gets the better of us and we try to reason with those who are just hating on the game out of bitterness or want for some nonsensical melodrama. Maybe the guy you quoted was wrong to pin the blame on "casuals" in particular, but the point stands that these games are now in the spotlight, and a lot of us don't enjoy the unwarranted hate/concern trolling that they receive.

Also, about the ending... Honestly, you have no idea ;)

Marvel

could never
I never did try Demon's, not because I didn't want to but because of my phat ps3 being killed by TLOU. I didn't even get to complete Dark either and I was near the end :( must fix that.

Either way Bloodbourne got me all hot and bothered. Haven't been this excited for a game in a little while.

Pollux

I'm tempted to buy a PS4 for this, but what are the chances we get a new version of the PS4 in 2015? If there is a big chance, I might hold off on this for a while.

Haunted

How about you use the thread to talk about what you want and let others talk about the elements and observations they want, hm?

The mods will take care of the obvious trolls as well as the overly defensive fans.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to pretend that's not an actual spoiler. Maybe it's like a tiny cutscene thing? :(

Well, to be fair that burning shot was from an old trailer. No one knew what they were looking at.

The GAF detectives are just too clever for their own good ;)

But trust me, in terms of crazy twists and stuff blowing your mind, you will have plenty to look forward to.

Haunted

Most characters were just either DEX/STR and then VIT/END anyway.
I feel that the min-maxing done by online players and speedrunners was never really indicative of my own builds and experimenting with the various stats for different weapon/magic types.

Though I'm sure the community will quickly identify the dump stats again. :p

I really don't understand why people are freaking out about the graphics. It says it is an early build right at the beginning. The compression is also terrible. I'm sure the game will look good enough at release.

Haunted

I really don't understand why people are freaking out about the graphics. It says it is an early build right at the beginning. The compression is also terrible. I'm sure the game will look good enough at release.
Well, there's the rub, isn't it? "Good enough" is an entirely subjective thing.

I'm sure it'll be good enough for most of the Souls superfans. Others might be disappointed but will power through because the core combat and art style are strong enough to overcome the technical shortcomings. Yet others will look at it and give it a pass because they didn't buy a PS4 to play games with this level of graphical fidelity.

(I'm working hard outside of this thread right now to get someoneo belonging to the latter category to buy the game anyway or I might not be able to play the game myself for quite some time. :lol)

jimboton

It's just a temporary hub anyways.

8B4wTS3.png

AcsVUHs.png

I haven't seen the burning scene in context but it may be that the real Refuge did burn down and the Dream Refuge in the game is just a memory or reflection (not part of the physical world) of that. I seriously doubt they would build what seems like a fully fledged hub only to take it permanently away at one point.

I haven't seen the burning scene in context but it may be that the real Refuge did burn down and the Dream Refuge in the game is just a memory or reflection (not part of the physical world) of that. I seriously doubt they would build what seems like a fully fledged hub only to take it permanently away at one point.

Ahh, that would make sense. Maybe this is just part of the opening cinematic.

Haunted

I seriously doubt they would build what seems like a fully fledged hub only to take it permanently away at one point.
Yes yes, surely From wouldn't do such a thing. They'd never mess with your safe haven. They wouldn't put totally innocent looking overpowered enemies into Majula. They would never have a character kill off important NPCs in the Nexus. They wouldn't dream of extinguishing the bonfire in Firelink Shrine, surely.

:p

jimboton

Yes yes, surely From wouldn't do such a thing. They'd never mess with your safe haven. They wouldn't put totally innocent looking overpowered enemies into Majula. They would never have a character kill off important NPCs in the Nexus. They wouldn't dream of extinguishing the bonfire in Firelink Shrine, surely.

:p

hahaha yeah you have a point. I'd say none of those things are quite as drastic or permanent as wiping out your safe house but in truth I'm just trying to reassure myself.
I'm killing every torch bearing NPC that crosses my path

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I think the problem we are seeing now stems from the fact that the Souls series gained too much popularity and is now something that all the posers and crybabies that comprise the casual gaming crowd have set their sights on.

I'm not sure, I think there's something else going on. I've got a friend who insists the Souls games are bad. He's barely played them, of course. He doesn't think they're bad because he thinks they're bad, he thinks they're bad because he's worried he won't be any good at them and thinking they're bad is the only way to make sense of that for a lot of people.

I think a lot of people who consider themselves gamers, who consider themselves to be good at video games and sophisticated consumers of video games, are threatened by the idea that there's a game out there that everyone else insists is great that they just aren't good enough at video games to play. It's the same sort of reaction that people who've spent their entire lives drinking Budweiser, who consider themselves to like beer, have to all these kids running around drinking microbrews.

There are some people who can say "oh it's too hard for me" (which includes various associated complaints, like "it doesn't tell me where to go" and "the story is opaque") and leave it at that, but those aren't the people desperately pretending there's something wrong with the graphics or the animations. For a lot of people "it's too hard for me" as a reason not to like a game is a source of tremendous cognitive dissonance, because the flipside of "it's too hard for me" is "I'm not good enough." They need to find some other grounds to dismiss the games - a grounds that will allow them to preserve their self-image as someone who's a versatile, skilled fan of the medium.

That's why this thread has been convulsed by graphics freakouts.

Top Bottom