• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne gameplay : The first 18 minutes

cormack12

Gold Member
How come the shipping cost is insane? Because of where seller or buyer is from? Also, is it available digitally, or will it be in future? Seems a little crazy.

imagine if the game is set in the same universe and there's some religion based on the Maiden, faith shown through covering your eyes with bandages/wax.

#talesfrommyprolapse

The eye "occlusion" is definitely a thing for this game, like it was for demon's souls. It's not clear if it's just a self-aware callback to the game that seems to be helping to inspire BB, or if it's a reference. In my heart of hearts what I want is that Miyazaki will have made the games set in the same world but with very few connections.

Yes. Since
there are several NPC's with the eyes covered

Such mixed thoughts!

So what other NPC's have their eyes covered, and serve as your hub assistant?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Such mixed thoughts!

So what other NPC's have their eyes covered, and serve as your hub assistant?

Well there is
Gascoigne
and this guy
Bloodborne1120-03.jpg

Except that depth of field in photography is *desirable*. That's why it looks great in video games.

Chromatic aberration in photography is *undesirable*. That's why it looks bad in video games.

I think the attitude of 'trying to simulate a real camera' is the wrong way to go about it. They should take the good aspects of photography and add it to games, but the idea isn't to perfectly simulate a camera with all its pros and cons. Its to take some cool looking effects and incorporate them into your visual design.

There are photographers who use chromatic aberration as part of their works, and there are photographers who want to minimise depth of field.

It's fair for you not to like that style, but it's a valid artistic direction to pursue when trying to achieve photorealism. And in my opinion, it doesn't look bad if it's used in moderation, it IS taking once of the cool looking effects from camera work and incorporating it into their visual direction.

Opinions, opinions, I guess.

Well there is
Gascoigne
and this guy

Real good point, I forgot both of these had bandaged faces!

UTIII

Banned
Is anyone considering holding off a couple of months allowing for the inevitable patches and rebalancing which will = a better game? That and can imagine there being network bugs for the first few weeks.

Still contemplating the above with the urge of playing day one!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
There are photographers who use chromatic aberration as part of their works, and there are photographers who want to minimise depth of field.

It's fair for you not to like that style, but it's a valid artistic direction to pursue when trying to achieve photorealism. And in my opinion, it doesn't look bad if it's used in moderation, it IS taking once of the cool looking effects from camera work and incorporating it into their visual direction.

Opinions, opinions, I guess.

Bloodborne is not trying for photorealism, is it? Seems obvious to me that it isn't.

I'm not one of those "chromatic aberration is always shit" people, but I don't think it fits the game's aesthetic at all.

Then again, if it was implemented in the alpha, I didn't even notice it. Was it?

Primeau31

Bloodborne is not trying for photorealism, is it? Seems obvious to me that it isn't.

I'm not one of those "chromatic aberration is always shit" people, but I don't think it fits the game's aesthetic at all.

Then again, if it was implemented in the alpha, I didn't even notice it. Was it?

It was in alpha, yes.

Mandelbo

As I've already said, I dislike the chromatic aberration but it only seems really prominent in the Hunter's Dream, which I guess works, in a way. Adds to the ethereal feeling of the area. It seems much more pared back in Yharnam itself.

This is why photorealism is widely misunderstood in videogames.

Photorealistic does not mean it's more real-looking than a realistic game. Photorealism, means that something is simulating effects that are associated with mechanical photography.

Depth of field is not something we perceive particularly in reality. Neither is bokeh or motion blur (despite the human eye working similarly and displaying similar effects if we abstract our vision). So there are elements of Bloodborne that are definitely striving after photorealism. But the art style isn't particularly realistic.

So how do people plan on using the strategy guide without risking spoiling future events in the game? Whenever I have purchased a guide, I tend to start flipping pages and reading strategies well before I actually get there in game.

Also, just how difficult is this game going to be? The game looks terrific but I am worried I won't be able to get to far before I get frustrated and turn it off (I suck at fast reflex games). Thanks

Cheers

Primeau31

Thank god, cause I never noticed it. I'm fine with it, then.

Yeah, its interesting bc i think it speaks volumes as to how its easy to pick apart some screenshots, when in reality a lot of people don't notice a lot of those things while actually in-game while playing.

The AA from the 18 min footage IS noticeable though, but we've already seen someone who's played a later build mention it's looking improved from that.

So how do people plan on using the strategy guide without risking spoiling future events in the game? Whenever I have purchased a guide, I tend to start flipping pages and reading strategies well before I actually get there in game.

They don't use it for 1st playthrough.

Or they don't care about spoilers.

If I do get it, I would fall into the latter camp.

Also, just how difficult is this game going to be? The game looks terrific but I am worried I won't be able to get to far before I get frustrated and turn it off (I suck at fast reflex games). Thanks

Cheers

Don't worry about it.

LProtag

I forgot this was so soon.

I'm a very defensive shield up all the time player in Souls games, so this game might crush me. Though from watching this it seems like it isn't super punishing on you (at least to start).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Exclusive and quite rare for twenty bucks.
ICO, exclusive and quite rare. $100

Your point?

EpicNameBro said they won't be re-printing the guide book once it's sold out. It's a given that this will sell out. I'll quote you in this exact thread when time comes.

Your point?

EpicNameBro said they won't be re-printing the guide book once it's sold out. It's a given that this will sell out. I'll quote you in this exact thread when time comes.
Agree the dark souls collectors guide is pretty expensive now. I manage to get it for $10 from ganestop a while ago. New copies are ~$100 on Amazon.

kvn

Your point?

And I don't give a shit. You can do with your money whatever you want.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
And I don't give a shit. You can do with your money whatever you want.
So why even comment about it with an illogical statement from start?

Gattsu25

Banned
Except that depth of field in photography is *desirable*. That's why it looks great in video games.

Chromatic aberration in photography is *undesirable*. That's why it looks bad in video games.

I think the attitude of 'trying to simulate a real camera' is the wrong way to go about it. They should take the good aspects of photography and add it to games, but the idea isn't to perfectly simulate a camera with all its pros and cons. Its to take some cool looking effects and incorporate them into your visual design.
You find DOF desirable. You find CA undesirable. That's just you, however.

A ton of people are interested in recreating the imperfections of cameras. It's why instagram took off as well as it did.

That said, DOF is just one effect; CA is another.

Both can be used well or poorly. CA is newer in games so it generally looks as shitty as DOF did when it was new (IMO DOF *only* looks desirable with bokeh artifacts )...but it can be used to great effect.

Facism

Your point?

or just get on with your life.

nordique

Be honest with me those of you who have been following Bloodbourne and get what kind of game it is:

I like action games.

But I did not enjoy Demons Souls or either Dark Souls games. They're not my cup of tea, as I didn't enjoy getting my ass handed to me over and over again, and the action was too slow paced for me. I can appreciate them as critically acclaimed games.

I do understand Bloodbourne is a sort of spiritual successor to the Souls games, the same type of unforgiving action...

Does Bloodbourne-GAF feel that it will be worth playing if I do not enjoy the Souls games? Or will it be so similar to Souls it might as well be a sequel of sorts?

Cheers guys,

This game looks so great which is why I am asking lol - but I know I will not enjoy it if its like Souls series.

Mogwai

Be honest with me those of you who have been following Bloodbourne and get what kind of game it is:

I like action games.

But I did not enjoy Demons Souls or either Dark Souls games. They're not my cup of tea, as I didn't enjoy getting my ass handed to me over and over again, and the action was too slow paced for me. I can appreciate them as critically acclaimed games.

I do understand Bloodbourne is a sort of spiritual successor to the Souls games, the same type of unforgiving action...

Does Bloodbourne-GAF feel that it will be worth playing if I do not enjoy the Souls games? Or will it be so similar to Souls it might as well be a sequel of sorts?

Cheers guys,

This game looks so great which is why I am asking lol - but I know I will not enjoy it if its like Souls series.

Bloodborne is faster paced and less defense-oriented. You could see it as being more like a character action game.

But you will still have to deal with trial and error. And if you didn't like any of the 3 previous Souls games, Bloodborne probably won't convert you.

aly

I really hope the IGN first is more substantial information for tommorow. Like PvP or something. Imma flip a table if they publish an article about potential hat selection or about the guidebook.

Game4life

Banned
Holy shit this is frustrating to watch. I'm screaming "engage him, goddammit!" inside my head as the player continues to hang back and ineffectually dodge attacks, getting nowhere. Just one more month.

Yeah the player is way to scared to take on the boss it looks like.

Flamelurker levels of aggression right there. Damn

Yup!

That's the Cleric Beast theme from the alpha. I think it cues in when you go to Gascoigne's area because it had no other music in the alpha. CB's theme is now slightly different in the "first 18 min" video, but that may be because it's daytime.

You are right. I think the TGS trailer theme played during this very boss fight at the VGA's. The entire bgm in this trailer to be more specific - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5o8jwqKsDE so this could be the boss theme as well.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Bloodborne is faster paced and less defense-oriented. You could see it as being more like a character action game.

But you will still have to deal with trial and error. And if you didn't like any of the 3 previous Souls games, Bloodborne probably won't convert you.

It doesn't sound like BB will completely convert him, but I must say that these two statements are rather misleading, and are the source of much confusion surrounding the game to date.

If by "character action" you mean DMC, GoW, NG, Bayo, MGR, etc. then no, Bloodborne is still nothing like this kind of game. Saying it's closer because the combat is faster and more aggressive than in Souls is a misjudgement.

Bloodborne is only "faster" because it focuses more on dodging rather blocking (no shields available from the start), and it encourages you to be more proactive (using the Regain system, not allowing yourself to be overwhelmed by multiple foes). You will still need to manage spacing, timing and orientation of your attacks, stamina usage, know when it's safe to heal during battle, and throwing items into the mix, amongst other things - just like the Souls games. Juggling melee and projectile weapons is faster than before, but that doesn't literally mean you'll be juggling enemies with your pistols and air-raving them for a 20 hit combo. It's simply easiest to think of BB as Action RPG.

Regarding "trial and error", the Souls games have never been about this. Some areas of each game were more unforgiving and harder to get to grips with than others, and I'm not saying there was no trial and error invovled whatsoever (Bed of Chaos, I'm looking at you... sternly). But for the most part, it's down to user observation and reflection. If you see dead bodies littered around, or scorch marks on the stone paving, or a dark hallway, it's up to you to assess the situation and prepare yourself for what may lie in wait.

Similarly with BB, you see a big crowd of enemies over there? If your definition of trial and error is "I TRIED to take them all on, but made an ERROR and died", then you're either not using everything at your disposal, or you simply need to raise your understanding of the fundamentals. These games teach you a lot outside of the "tutorial areas". In fact, most people keep on learning as they progress, and even after completion.

In short, nordique, get it if you dig the aesthetic and focus on exploration, delving into the terrifying unknown. It is faster than Souls, but you will still die a lot ;)

It doesn't sound like BB will completely convert him, but I must say that these two statements are rather misleading, and are the source of much confusion surrounding the game to date.

If by "character action" you mean DMC, GoW, NG, Bayo, MGR, etc. then no, Bloodborne is still nothing like this kind of game. Saying it's closer because the combat is faster and more aggressive than in Souls is a misjudgement.

Bloodborne is only "faster" because it focuses more on dodging rather blocking (no shields available from the start), and it encourages you to be more proactive (using the Regain system, not allowing yourself to be overwhelmed by multiple foes). You will still need to manage spacing, timing and orientation of your attacks, stamina usage, know when it's safe to heal during battle, and throwing items into the mix, amongst other things - just like the Souls games. Juggling melee and projectile weapons is faster than before, but that doesn't literally mean you'll be juggling enemies with your pistols and air-raving them for a 20 hit combo. It's simply easiest to think of BB as Action RPG.

Regarding "trial and error", the Souls games have never been about this. Some areas of each game were more unforgiving and harder to get to grips with than others, and I'm not saying there was no trial and error invovled whatsoever (Bed of Chaos, I'm looking at you... sternly). But for the most part, it's down to user observation and reflection. If you see dead bodies littered around, or scorch marks on the stone paving, or a dark hallway, it's up to you to assess the situation and prepare yourself for what may lie in wait.

Similarly with BB, you see a big crowd of enemies over there? If your definition of trial and error is "I TRIED to take them all on, but made an ERROR and died", then you're either not using everything at your disposal, or you simply need to raise your understanding of the fundamentals. These games teach you a lot outside of the "tutorial areas". In fact, most people keep on learning as they progress, and even after completion.

In short, nordique, get it if you dig the aesthetic and focus on exploration, delving into the terrifying unknown. It is faster than Souls, but you will still die a lot ;)

This is a good post.

Moreover, nordique, if you decide to get Bloodborne in the end, don't be afraid to post in the OT if you get stuck. There will be dozens of us who'll be sharing tips, strategies, and useful observations as we go through our first playthroughs. Maybe you'll even find someone willing to co-op with you for the tough parts. :)

Aces&Eights

Is anyone considering holding off a couple of months allowing for the inevitable patches and rebalancing which will = a better game? That and can imagine there being network bugs for the first few weeks.

Still contemplating the above with the urge of playing day one!

The idea of having enough self control to "hold off" on buying this game for a few weeks for potential patches is under the "never gonna happen" category.

I'm buying this game day one and not sleeping that night.

aly

The idea of having enough self control to "hold off" on buying this game for a few weeks for potential patches is under the "never gonna happen" category.

I'm buying this game day one and not sleeping that night.

Do people really wait for potential patches? What if they make things worse? I'm still mad that I did'nt get Dark Souls 2
before Lightning Spear got nerfed to death.

Top Bottom