• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: Impressions After 40 Hours (EDGE)

joecanada

6 of each SO FAR seems small but I absolutely trust From Software in design decisions.

better 6 than the piles of useless crap heaped onto you from most games where you spend 20 minutes sorting the junk.

this is pretty exciting, new weapon will feel legit

Dresden

It's all about moveset variety over weapon count.

Best of both worlds would be to have weapon skins as chalice dungeon rewards, though.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Can't believe people are tripping off the low number of weapons.

Every weapon shown thus far is totally unique and different from the others. Quality over quantity people. Come on.

Horns

Sounds good. I hope there's not as much back and forth as Dark Souls 1. I dislike traveling through areas multiple times to make progress. DS2 doesn't get enough credit for the fast travel option from the start.

Rurunaki

All those cool sounding weapons.

DEMONS GREAT HAMMER! GRAVELORD SWORD!

Favorite? Reinforced Club. lol

Pretty much goes to show how much filler there was with weaponry in the games anyway. You eventually gravitated toward a favorite, or 2-3 favorites you loved using. Cool move sets, cool look, good for PVP.

I like the fact that they went with a smaller arsenal, put a ton of thought into each weapon. I mean just look at the weapons! Every single one of them beats any Souls series weapon hands down without much thought in that. I mean I love my winged spear, but I'll take my 2H Warhammer that turns into a 1H blade or 1H Hammer and back into a 2H hammer even in the middle of combo's any day of the week.

This game is all about style in all aspects. From the environment to the clothing to the weaponry. I'd rather have 6 weapons that are unique and awesome compared to 45 that are generic as fuck and half of them are exactly the same as the others with just slightly different stats.

But that's me. To each their own.

Just can't wait to finally step into this world
iLR2FT4J4haxg.gif

Pretty much. People fawning over DS weapon variety, but they all end up sticking with the Greatsword or Wand.

Bloodborne made the weapons interesting albeit low in variety.

Hiko

Banned
Even stuff like all the fantastic endgame weapons you could get early on if you knew where to go wouldn't be possible if they didn't have many more weapons.

In less than 15 minutes you can easily get one of the following:

Black Knight Sword
Black Knight Greatsword
Black Knight Halberd
Zweihander
Claymore
Great Scythe
Gravelord Sword
Uchigatana
Demon's Great Hammer
Reinforced Club (my favorite <3)
Estoc (moveswap yo)
Battle Axe (not endgame at all, but great to stunlocking the gargoyles with RTSR, which, by the way, you can also get very early into the game)
There's the Grass Crest Shield (stamina regen) and Poison Shield (100% poison block) too.

Maybe more I can't remember right now?

Even if those are 6 very different and all great, I don't think they'd give us the chance to get all of them in a few minutes.

It actually is, but I got it in Sen's Fortress, didn't want to go through the trouble of buying it from Shiva, so I had to wait until I got to Anor Londo before I upgraded it (forgot to get the Weapon Smithbox that run)

They've already shown 7 distinct weapons in the promo footage. There's probably way more. Did you consider that maybe these guys didn't find much because the weapons are actually hidden this time around? Or does every weapon need to be lying on a corpse ten feet from where you start the game?

It just seems like a weird thing to criticize since we don't know how many weapons there actually are. The Edge playthrough didn't sound very thorough and it wasn't complete. But don't let me stop you from complaining about there only being 6 weapons in the game.

I fucking hope so, because whether or not you find it okay, it's still a matter of them only finding 6 weapons in the whole 40 hours of playing that they did. Having played all of the Souls game, I just find it weak, seeing how some the fun of them games are usually had when starting up new characters with whole new builds, style and weapons.

Plus seeing how they played 40 hours and still had not finished it, changing weapons during these hours is bound to happen, hence making the replayibility take a drop if there is really a lack of weapons. Hey, either way, I'm playing it, I'm just disapointed to hear something that I had feared when I saw they introduced those transformable weapons.

Right - it's the relative scarcity of weapon types and lack of magic that worries me on that count. I know we have stats, but as we all know from earlier games in the series, not all of those stats are useful and some are even mandatory to invest in. No way to know how many viable "builds" there will be until we hear some more in-depth reviews.

Do we know if there's a NG+ yet?

Can you really imagine a world in which Bloodborne exists without NG+?

Yep, I worry the game will be more "Action-y" and less an RPG/RPG-lite or whatever.

I'm hoping for both!

This is the goddamn definition of concern trolling.

?

Yeah, man. You better hold out to see. I would probably wait at least a year to be certain that you're in the clear.

But I know deep down I'm not going to :-(

Never played this type of game before so I may just have to get the ky ready....

Gbraga

All those cool sounding weapons.

DEMONS GREAT HAMMER! GRAVELORD SWORD!

Favorite? Reinforced Club. lol

Pretty much goes to show how much filler there was with weaponry in the games anyway. You eventually gravitated toward a favorite, or 2-3 favorites you loved using. Cool move sets, cool look, good for PVP.
What are you talking about? I'm not talking about all the shitty swords the enemies drop, I'm talking about great build defining weapons.

The Reinforced Club is my favorite, and I don't think I've used it in the last, say, 40 hours I've played of the game this year?

I like the fact that they went with a smaller arsenal, put a ton of thought into each weapon. I mean just look at the weapons! Every single one of them beats any Souls series weapon hands down without much thought in that. I mean I love my winged spear, but I'll take my 2H Warhammer that turns into a 1H blade or 1H Hammer and back into a 2H hammer even in the middle of combo's any day of the week.

I do agree that all the weapons they've showed so far are really really cool.

I won't mind the smaller variety in weapons if they're all made available relatively early in the game. Sticking with a scrub weapon until you got the weapon/upgrade you really wanted wasn't fun in Souls and it wouldn't be fun in BB, either.

It'd be cool if they were all available at the start as your "class" choice and you could find the rest in the world if you changed your mind.

Can you really imagine a world in which Bloodborne exists without NG+?

I can imagine a world where Chalice dungeons have replaced NG+ as the longevity factor for BB, but of course without knowing more about Chalice dungeons I don't quite know what that means.

What the hell does this have to do with Fashion Souls?

The people complaining about this sound like theyre more worried about their fashion souls not being as varied and different from others as before instead of noticing and appreciating why From is taking the less is more approach. Hint: Weapons that transform to suit multiple situations.

It's all about moveset variety over weapon count.

Best of both worlds would be to have weapon skins as chalice dungeon rewards, though.

The bold is the truth. Sure throw some different skinned weapons in there for people concerned about fashion.

I fucking hope so, because whether or not you find it okay, it's still a matter of them only finding 6 weapons in the whole 40 hours of playing that they did. Having played all of the Souls game, I just find it weak, seeing how some the fun of them games are usually had when starting up a new characters with whole new builds, style and weapons.

Plus seeing how they played 40 hours and still had not finished it, changing weapons during these hours is bound to happen, hence making the replayibility take a drop if there is really a lack of weapons. Hey, either way, I'm playing it, I'm just disapointed to hear something that I had feared when I saw they introduced those transformable weapons.

I'm all for more variety as well. If there were actually only 6 weapons in the game I'd be disappointed. I don't think this is the case though. Other posters have pointed out that they've shown off more than 6 weapons just in the marketing for this game, so I think it's reasonable to assume there will be more.

Rurunaki

I won't mind the smaller variety in weapons if they're all made available relatively early in the game. Sticking with a scrub weapon until you got the weapon/upgrade you really wanted wasn't fun in Souls and it wouldn't be fun in BB, either.

It'd be cool if they were all available at the start as your "class" choice and you could find the rest in the world if you changed your mind.

We're stuck with a broken sword for the first 6.7 hours of the game because of low weapon variety count. Lel.

I love multiple weapons if only for replayability, but I also loved magic and the mideavil setting. Still stoked for this game.

GRaider81

better 6 than the piles of useless crap heaped onto you from most games where you spend 20 minutes sorting the junk.

this is pretty exciting, new weapon will feel legit

Agree, getting a new weapon will feel great If they are indeed rare. Who wants a crappy sword from a skeleton anyway....

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
One comes out the day before my birthday! It's meant to be dammit!

I meant to say forget the uncharted 4 delay news but Im too hyped

That's true, but our actual impression was decided months or years ago. Impressions can only show you more than you've already bore witness to. If you aren't on board now then this is for you, but it feels rather late if you've gone and made that decision. They aren't saying, "oh this is bad, you guys outta stay away" or "this is just another release". They are making these large impressions, so obviously it's either PR or this game is actually good. The content on the other hand is like saying, "who are they trying to fool here?". I want to see this stuff when I get my copy.

Oh well.. I read your post wrong. I'm just in one of those moods where the impressions are just blinding at this point.

6 weapons? It's not like these guys wrote the strategy guide to the game either.

I'm all for more variety as well. If there were actually only 6 weapons in the game I'd be disappointed. I don't think this is the case though. Other posters have pointed out that they've shown off more than 6 weapons just in the marketing for this game, so I think it's reasonable to assume there will be more.

I don't think it's the case either, some gaffers assume that I think so, yet what I'm concerned of is that they only found 6 weapons during these 40 hours. I still find that it's a pretty small number.

Top Bottom