• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: Impressions After 40 Hours (EDGE)

every weapon has a second form, and every form has a personalized moveset, that you can mix changing form mid combo
the variety will be fine
Doesn't change the fact that they could have made multiple versions of the different weapon types. Different Saw Blades with better handles and saw blades, different kirkhammers with increasingly more badass hammers and swords, etc. Just because they transform and have different move sets doesn't mean they couldn't just do mesh swaps and re-use the same animations.

I don't think I ever used more than 12 different weapons in any souls games anyways, most of the weapons were useless so It doesn't bother me too much, but it does hurt the loot whore inside me a bit lol.

Hypron

Nah, Gunslinger build FTW
insta0xs47.gif

This gif's swag level is off the charts.

Do we have a non-inflammatory title to go with it yet?
If I recall from a few months ago, the run away favorite was "Bloodborne |OT| YOU HUNTED", with an alternative of "Bloodborne |OT| Are we sure this is a PS4 exclusive?" to echo the 9 months of endless salt produced on this forum.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
People concerned about weapon variety confounds me... Have you seen the weapons? They're all extremely different and unique to one another. And they all cover pretty much every typical weapon type in video games. The only catch is that they're combinations of typical weapon types rather then separate. And we have not even seen every weapon yet.

If peoples idea of "variety" is a bunch of samey weapons with mild tweaks, well then I don't know what to say... *shrugs*

But give me an ax that can transform on the fly into a halberd over a single ax and halberd any damn day. But hey, one of these scenarios has a higher number of weapons than the other so I guess it's "better".

cerulily

Doesn't change the fact that they could have made multiple versions of the different weapon types. Different Saw Blades with better handles and saw blades, different kirkhammers with increasingly more badass hammers and swords, etc. Just because they transform and have different move sets doesn't mean they couldn't just do mesh swaps and re-use the same animations.

I don't think I ever used more than 12 different weapons in any souls games anyways, most of the weapons were useless so It doesn't bother me too much, but it does hurt the loot whore inside me a bit lol.

But what you're describing isn't a genuine analogue to dark souls weapons. You're just describing a system where it is almost mandatory to upgrade and use the best version of that particular class. This eliminates any actual weapon choices.

neoism

I have to say even though I really want this game, Im just not sure now THEY REAAALLLLLY need a demo or at least a timed beta to the first boss or something I'm a REALLY big fan of DS2 not soo much for Demon souls or even Dark Souls even though I like DS1... some of the stuff sounds great but some of it really doesn't at all.. I dont like horror anything... 6 fucking weapons in 40 hours.. -_- they should have let everyone play the alpha a few months back... :/

Izuna

Banned
I am going to depend on GAF-impressions before buying this.

Ori and the Blind Forest /blind-sided/ me, so I am going to giving that game my focus up until I reach Tokyo for a month. I won't have a PS4 to use there.

I am hoping to hear it is more focused than Dark Souls. More linear is what I want.

Barakov

Everything sounds great. I'm a little bummed about the weapon count but it seems the weapons are unique enough to offer up different strategies. Also the upgrade system seems to further that as well.

Looking back at previous souls games I used about only 5 or 6 weapons in total so it's not a big deal in retrospect.

People concerned about weapon variety confounds me... Have you seen the weapons? They're all extremely different and unique to one another. And they all cover pretty much every typical weapon type in video games. The only catch is that they're combinations of typical weapon types rather then separate. And we have not even seen every weapon yet.

If peoples idea of "variety" is a bunch of samey weapons with mild tweaks, well then I don't know what to say... *shrugs*

But give me an ax that can transform on the fly into a halberd over a single ax and halberd any damn day. But hey, one of these scenarios has a higher number of weapons than the other so I guess it's "better".
Monster Hunter has some badass transforming weapons that have tons of variety...they don't need to downgrade the weapons to non transforming weapons just to include variety in the different weapon types. It's not about variety in how many types of weapons, its about variety in each of those weapon types. Why settle on looking at the same exact kirkhammer forever if you can have multiple versions of the "kirkhammer weapon type"?

But what you're describing isn't a genuine analogue to dark souls weapons. You're just describing a system where it is almost mandatory to upgrade and use the best version of that particular class. This eliminates any actual weapon choices.
....what? not sure if serious...even some boss weapons use the same animations as early weapons you find.

David___

Banned
I don't get this. Why guns? No risk-taking, just staying a bit away from the enemy and pressing a button.

Doing what you described wont be effective since the guns themselves dont do much damage and bullets are scarce. Its main use is for counter-attacking

wfx15ry37h47akqihp7w.gif

Good looooord I am excited for this game. Those impressions are exactly what I want to hear. I still feel guilty for not finishing Dark Souls but I WILL complete this game. Just traded in some games for PSN bucks and will be downloading this Day 1.

Not overly concerned about "6 weapons" at this point. There are likely more, but it is important to note that all the weapons seen are designed to be very unique with transformations and specific play styles. DS1 and 2, have a ton of weapons, but if you break them down into movesets, it becomes a much smaller pool of options.

It may be more streamlined, but I don't think its such a bad idea. Probably a lot easier to balance when there aren't dozen's of slightly different versions of the same basic weapon.

The lack of prolific chests is the only notable issue that could be a concern. I really hope exploration is encouraged and rewarded.

Hypron

Ya but not a lot. At least from all the footage I've seen.

You could kill normal monsters quite quickly with bullets (2/3 bullets max). I can see them do some significant damage if you upgrade their associated stat. Now, there'll always be the issue of running out of bullets though.

RangerBAD

You could kill normal monsters quite quickly with bullets (2/3 bullets max). I can see them do some significant damage if you upgrade their associated stat. Now, there'll always be the issue of running out of bullets though.

There will be Survival Horror builds.

Rozart

O man. There seems to be some genuinely scary horror elements in the game :( Love the Souls game but I'm absolutely terrified of horror games. Blaah.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there was some interview where one of the devs said that in addition to the trick weapons, there would be some normal weapons as well? I'm not completely sure if I'm remembering correctly. Either way, its not a big deal to me, the souls games did have a lot of fluff in terms of weapon variety

Lingitiz

If I was Kaz Hirai, I would seriously do anything to acquire From Software.

They are just unbelievably talented.

Well they were just bought by Kadokawa so that's not happening.

It doesn't really matter though. Considering after the multiplatform success of Souls they were still willing to go back to one platform, it's not an issue.

Top Bottom