• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: Impressions After 40 Hours (EDGE)

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Man, I really wish other Japanese developers would pour this much love into their English script like From is. I'm looking at you Square-Enix, Namco, etc.

Uhm. Those games have SIGNIFICANTLY more script work than these games. Not shaming this game, but it's not THAT difficult to write a fresh script when you've got a couple of hours of dialog.

I read this but it's still a bit confusing:

I believe this was cobbled from a translation so some of the description doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The bells sound like Large, Small and Red Soapstones, with the Parting Shot acting like the Separation Crystal (there is no way you can use it to auto remove an invader and it makes it sound in the text).

WITHE1982

I believe this was cobbled from a translation so some of the description doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The bells sound like Large, Small and Red Soapstones, with the Parting Shot acting like the Separation Crystal (there is no way you can use it to auto remove an invader and it makes it sound in the text).

Thanks. I didn't play a great deal of Dark Souls which is why it seems a little confusing to me. I'm sure I'll read tons of stuff/guides before launch though.

Rand6

If there is one drawback here it's the lack of environmental variety.
It seems like there is no sense of travel in Bloodborne (compared to DarkSouls)

Edit : except that, I think the game is perfect.

Alebrije

What if at the end of the game you enter to a caves and in the deepest of one of them (after tons of foes) you have access to the Nexus.

takriel

It's seems like there is no sense of travel in Bloodborne (compared to DarkSouls)
I think there will be. You'll travel from the center of Yharnam to the outskirts of the city and its neighbouring areas. Plenty of environmental variety!

Patapwn

It's seems like there is no sense of travel in Bloodborne (compared to DarkSouls)

There's been plenty of environments shown and how do you get a sense of travel from a trailer?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Very few weapons, lower replay value than Souls, tons of blood vials all over the place, automatic item storage and replenishment (so no overburdening I guess), health regen, etc... Sounds like they've made the mechanics of this game more casual, and made more of a pure action game than an RPG with deep possibilities like Souls. Which would explain the lower replay value. Don't really like the sound of that, but I'm sure I'll still love it for the core gameplay, which should still be sweet. Can't help but feel my hype decreasing a bit though.

derwalde

Very few weapons, lower replay value than Souls, tons of blood vials all over the place, automatic item storage and replenishment (so no overburdening I guess), health regen, etc... Sounds like they've made the mechanics of this game more casual, and made more of a pure action game than an RPG with deep possibilities like Souls. Which would explain the lower replay value. Don't really like the sound of that, but I'm sure I'll still love it for the core gameplay, which should still be sweet. Can't help but feel my hype decreasing a bit though.

And i can feel my braincells decreasing reading your post.

We've only seen a couple different environments from what I'm guessing is the beginning of the game. If you want to compare it to Dark Souls, when we were getting pre-release info for that we only really got a good look at Undead Asylum and Undead Parish.

FaintDeftone

I don't think we've seen enough of the game to make that judgement yet. I would be shocked if this is true.

convo

They described the lower replay value due to the fact it's scary game like a horror game, so you would be less surprised by a replay. Still they haven't beaten the game, ng+ is confirmed and the new trailers show mechanics that enhance movement. I don't see how i could possibly be more excited to be honest.

Alebrije

Bloodborned is more like a Devil my Cry with Souls elements that will add good replay value , it was never exposed as a Souls RPG games.

Mupod

you're talking about pre-release footage of a game from a company that once put an incredibly amazing looking area behind not one, but two illusory walls.

Hnnnnnggggh can't... Hnnnnnggggh wait....hnnnnnggggh any... More.

But seriously folks. Review thread will be fun! It's gonna be the game to set the next generation standard.

Shengar

So uhh....rather than posting one line perplexed reaction, I'm going to respond your post by point

-Fewer weapon because each weapon have more depth than we usually see in Souls games. It isn't stretch that from what we've seeing so far, this weapon approach is similar to action game weapon system.

-Lower replay values is because the game is more horror focused, pretty much makes unspoiled first hand experience define the game. There is Chalice Dungeon though to answer that problem

-There isn't health regen, it's health-back mechanic where you can heal a portion of your health if you attack the enemy back for a short period of time.

tumblr_ngwf6jl4nV1tugdt2o1_400.gif

Could not disagree more.

Rand6

you're talking about pre-release footage of a game from a company that once put an incredibly amazing looking area behind not one, but two illusory walls.

You're talking about the Painted World of Ariamis? That was soooo good!

According to a quick google search, here's Dark Souls First trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NSdkbpxlxA
Seems like there's more variety. *shrug*

I don't know, I'm only expressing my only "fear" with this game. I still believe that Bloodborne will be one of my Goty. ;)

Youre actually kidding right? Weve just seen a trailer that revealed 4 new weapons(technically 8). Weve just seen a
teleporting
mechanic that could really change the way you play. How is that not indicative of deep mechanics?

Regain mechanic is a risk/reward system in and of itself. DO YOU SEE HOW FAST THESE ENEMIES ARE?? You can be near death take a blow with no vials left and you have to decide whether to back off and play it safe, or fight for your life and get some health back.

The replay value comment stems from the game having so many surprises, which the player will remember in a second run through. Just like in all of the previous games.

Blood vials work just like estus. You have 20 but you cant hold the rest with you. Say you die with 10 estus left and have 3 in storage. When you respawn it gives you back 13. This game isnt Dark Souls where its meant to be supremely punishing. People need to get that out of their heads. The challenge will come from the moment to moment gameplay.

Oh so you have played the full game i see

FaintDeftone

Does anyone know if the fog doors/walls/barriers that divide certain new areas and boss fights are confirmed? I do know that the original Project Beast trailer showed them (and going back and watching that shows a lot of stuff from the current trailers like the latest boss revealed) but I haven't heard or seen them in Bloodborne since.

I love those fog doors. They always hold a certain sense of mystery behind them. Hoping they're still there.

Does anyone know if the fog doors/walls/barriers that divide certain new areas and boss fights are confirmed? I do know that the original Project Beast trailer showed them (and going back and watching that shows a lot of stuff from the current trailers like the latest boss revealed) but I haven't heard or seen them in Bloodborne since.

I love those fog doors. They always hold a certain sense of mystery behind them. Hoping they're still there.

I think no fog gates at first encounter, after that there is a fog gate.

It seems like there is no sense of travel in Bloodborne (compared to DarkSouls)

Edit : except that, I think the game is perfect.

Stop comapring to Bloodborne to Souls.
they are two completely different experiences. One is aimed at providing a wide varied set of locales while the other is focused on a more persistent experience. Id understand yoyr concern if Bloodborne was dark souls 3 but its not. It has different objective than the souls sereis, and now just before i end this persistent does not necessarily meam the same.

Weve seen snowy mountain mansions to inner high gothic cathedrals to dead mountainous reigons.

Treating bloodborne as it is, a new ip, will do you much better than treating it like its dark souls 3 or something.

Edit: its fine to make connection because bloodborne isnt exactly completely new it still retains some of the mechanics of souls but other than that there is not much reason to do so.

Man, I really wish other Japanese developers would pour this much love into their English script like From is. I'm looking at you Square-Enix, Namco, etc.

The big difference is that the script starts in English. I really wish we could find out just how the script is made. The funny thing is that the Japanese subtitles are pretty terrible. Or at least, don't capture the nuance of the amazing English script. This is the reverse of normal Japanese games!

For boss fights they show up after the fight starts...at least thst is how it worked in the alpha with the Cleric Beast. If you die you enter through the fog door to try again. So basically no warning for bosses!

The big difference is that the script starts in English. I really wish we could find out just how the script is made. The funny thing is that the Japanese subtitles are pretty terrible. Or at least, don't capture the nuance of the amazing English script. This is the reverse of normal Japanese games!

Oddly enough, we're having a similar discussion right now in the REvelations 2 thread in regards to the Japanese script to english localization.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sorry guys, forgot you're not allowed to be even the least bit apprehensive about any aspect of this game! My sincerest apologies.

Look, I'm very excited as well, and I'm sure it will overall be an awesome game, it just sounds to me like they have "dumbed down" certain aspects. I get the impression that this game is more focused on the moment-to-moment combat gameplay and might not be quite as deep as Souls when it comes to the more RPG-ish aspects. Which is fine, it doesn't have to be exactly like Souls. Hopefully it will still be just as good. Some of you have obviously already decided that it's the best thing ever, guess I'm not quite as convinced yet.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
He's been concern posting about Bloodborne for a while now.

Yes, because it's unthinkable that anyone could possibly have a single legitimate concern about this game. Stop being a condescending asshole. I agree that "concern posting" (which is not what I'm doing, as I'm very excited about the game and have the collector's edition pre-ordered) is annoying, but so is blind unquestioning hype that forbids any actual discussion from taking place.

tcrunch

Are you able to choose different classes in this game, or does the main character play the same throughout the game?

qM7I0aL.png

You level up your stats through the game just like any other Souls.

EDGE's impressions are kind of weird on this, they say your stats are determined by the trick weapon you choose. Maybe it's a combination?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

6S8Ovu3.gif

Sorry guys, forgot you're not allowed to be even the least bit apprehensive about any aspect of this game! My sincerest apologies.

Look, I'm very excited as well, and I'm sure it will overall be an awesome game, it just sounds to me like they have "dumbed down" certain aspects. I get the impression that this game is more focused on the moment-to-moment combat gameplay and might not be quite as deep as Souls when it comes to the more RPG-ish aspects. Which is fine, it doesn't have to be exactly like Souls. Hopefully it will still be just as good. Some of you have obviously already decided that it's the best thing ever, guess I'm not quite as convinced yet.

I think its more of your selective rreading how can you possibly think things like dumbed down when the entire review is glowing and the OP includes excerpts like

"If you thought From Software was going soft, Hidetaka Miyazaki is about to put you brutally back in your place. And if you've been watching this generation from the sidelines, unmoved by the remasters and rush jobs while you wait for the first true essential to arrive, now's the time. As if there was ever any doubt, Miyazaki and his team have done it all over again."

&
"Bloodborne is Hidetaka Miyazaki's brutal riposte to the section of his playerbase that thinks it has seen it all before."

Top Bottom