• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: Impressions After 40 Hours (EDGE)

bb03.jpg

fuck me

Despera

Banned
Okay I just saw one of the new screens (thank goodness for the ability to disable pics in the mobile ver. of the site)...

Yep. That looks incredible

aaaaaaand I'm outta here!

Maybe it depended on the patch version but I never had much luck just tanking them and that was the fight that really taught me how to play dark souls "correctly." I've beaten them with a variety of builds but always by rolling with careful timing. The real key that applies to all builds is keep attacking after they die until the shared life bar stops registering hits.

Huh. It's worked for me every time I've fought them D: And I usually do arcane runs. Do you go there with 10 flasks? The whole point of tanking it isn't because you take that much less damage, it's purely for the poise. You just unload your entire stamina bar on them, wait a few seconds for it to return then carry on. When your health is low just flask because they can't break your poise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz3bhsgFVM4 for an example.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
crying, only one more week fam. the anticipation is killing me. who's making the ot btw?

Fhtagn

Huh. It's worked for me every time I've fought them D: And I usually do arcane runs. Do you go there with 10 flasks? The whole point of tanking it isn't because you take that much less damage, it's purely for the poise. You just unload your entire stamina bar on them, wait a few seconds for it to return then carry on. When your health is low just flask because they can't break your poise.

Ah, well, to expand on what I said, when I played Dark Souls for the first time I got really really stuck on the four kings in NG+ and had to "git gud" to get past them. I'd gotten stuck on them in NG and barely defeated them as a tank-y character.

Since then I've only fought them with fast roll and it's a fantastic fight that way, one of the best in the series. If you've always Havel'ed them, I recommend trying it the other ways as it's incredibly rewarding.

And it doesn't dramatically affect your DPS to roll, I can consistently kill them in only three kings on NG.

Ah, well, to expand on what I said, when I played Dark Souls for the first time I got really really stuck on the four kings in NG+ and had to "git gud" to get past them. I'd gotten stuck on them in NG and barely defeated them as a tank-y character.

Since then I've only fought them with fast roll and it's a fantastic fight that way, one of the best in the series. If you've always Havel'ed them, I recommend trying it the other ways as it's incredibly rewarding.

And it doesn't dramatically affect your DPS to roll, I can consistently kill them in only three kings on NG.

I dunno. The fight isn't that fun to begin with. It's literally just a DPS race. Has nothing on half the other bosses in the game. I mean, if I can solo Ornstein and Smough (Ornstein last) and manage to kill Artorias on my own, I dunno, don't really see the need to prove myself with Four Kings since the only problem I ever had actually fighting them was doing enough damage before multiples spawn. That's just my opinion though.

Edit for clarity: I did the Havel's build because my first character was a caster and so couldn't really damage the kings too easily. It made the fight so trivial that I've just done it that way on my melee builds as well because screw that corpse run.

Kiritsugu

Banned
I'm so excited for this! Gonna buy a PS4 this Saturday, and Bloodborne on release day.

The only thing I like a bit less about the game is that the world doesn't seem to be as varied as Demon's/Dark Souls, since it's so focused on horror.

Grady

One thing that was in ds1 that i wish were in ds2 are the secret areas. Like the one in the painting. I hope bloodborne has some.

hew9753

I cannot wait for this. I've got a busy week and a half coming up at work and then I've got 5 days off starting on the 24th. Pure heaven.

No doubt there will be things that I wish Bloodborne did more like or differently than the Souls game but damn, it's going to be an awesome experience with out of this world art direction.

Gbraga

I dunno. The fight isn't that fun to begin with. It's literally just a DPS race. Has nothing on half the other bosses in the game. I mean, if I can solo Ornstein and Smough (Ornstein last) and manage to kill Artorias on my own, I dunno, don't really see the need to prove myself with Four Kings since the only problem I ever had actually fighting them was doing enough damage before multiples spawn. That's just my opinion though.

Edit for clarity: I did the Havel's build because my first character was a caster and so couldn't really damage the kings too easily. It made the fight so trivial that I've just done it that way on my melee builds as well because screw that corpse run.

Moveswap with BKH + RTSR = 2 kings :')

I really like that fight.

Alo0oy

Banned
I'm so excited for this! Gonna buy a PS4 this Saturday, and Bloodborne on release day.

The only thing I like a bit less about the game is that the world doesn't seem to be as varied as Demon's/Dark Souls, since it's so focused on horror.

Did you actually play the game to make that conclusion?

GulAtiCa

Glad they are using level system for matchmaking. Will make it so much easier to do co-op with people. Soul memory was an incredibly dumb idea. Esp when it was once limited to your NG status/etc.

It looks like there was a jump in image quality? I don't see many jaggies and it looks cleaner. Was that actual gameplay? is anyone there to confirm?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
One UI change I am glad about is moving the fucking debuff accumulator to the TOP of the screen and not right in the middle of the action. So jarring.

Top Bottom