• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLOODBORNE Impressions Thread : And so the Nightly Hunt Begins

Ninja Gaiden isn't like Bayonetta. Playing NGB for the first time is a frustrating experience in which you learn to play a game that kicks your ass. But your also in complete control of your actions and your character responds to those actions. I just dislike how when I press buttons in DS my character doesn't respond as quickly. And Bayonetta doesn't have that crushing difficulty that made NGB worth it.

Yeah I wasn't expecting them to really in was just hoping it was closer. I'll see for myself.

Its because the game has realistic weight, physics, and animation.

If you use a dagger(or other light weapons) you might notice a similar feel to fast paced combat seen in NG. Use a giant sword/hammer however and you have a noticeable wind up.

Its what makes each weapon unique. You have to consider its weight, range, shape etc.. in a 3D space

NG is different where it focuses on combos, evasion, speed. Its arcade action man. Its why many of the weapons and abilities seem to blend together.

Jaeger

Ninja Gaiden isn't like Bayonetta. Playing NGB for the first time is a frustrating experience in which you learn to play a game that kicks your ass. But your also in complete control of your actions and your character responds to those actions. I just dislike how when I press buttons in DS my character doesn't respond as quickly. And Bayonetta doesn't have that crushing difficulty that made NGB worth it.

Yeah I wasn't expecting them to really in was just hoping it was closer. I'll see for myself.

I feel ya. I'm still hoping the next Mario game is more like Call of Duty. I mean, I love the way Mario can stomp on enemies, but the way Call of Duty feels would be better. I hate how super responsive Mario games feel. I would like a bit of lag. That extra difficulty would make Mario worth it.

The design of the enemies and bosses looks like a return to the 'series'' best.

The giant werewolf/balrog that emits that weird sound is pure awesome.

BadWolf

I'm glad they went with a more offensive approach for the combat. The one is Souls is great and has its own flavour but promotes the waiting approach too much (wait for the enemy to take a swing and then move in for a poke, then back off, rinse and repeat).

The roll being replaced with the quick dash is excellent as well.

Do you create your own character in this, or is that..guy, the protagonist?

I don't know the answer for sure, but I played a Dark Souls demo at a playstation event shortly before it was released, which had a few (four, I think) preset characters to choose from because the demo started a few hours in. I would imagine it's a similar scenario here so people can get a feel for the game without spending hours on character creation.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I think it was confirmed as Create a Character

This is just the placeholder character (much like how dark souls 2 had the guy in the furry armor)

*sigh*

Thanks to the internet, now I have the wrong kind of image in my head for a guy in "furry" armor.

Foggy

I keep reading "plays like Demon Souls" but I'm not sure people really know what they're saying. Aside from atmosphere(even then it feels quite different from Demon), I'm doubtful you can get a real sense for the gameplay to be decidedly Demon or Dark Souls-esque. How long do normal folk get to play it for at these booths?

Xeroblade

I feel ya. I'm still hoping the next Mario game is more like Call of Duty. I mean, I love the way Mario can stomp on enemies, but the way Call of Duty feels would be better. I hate how super responsive Mario games feel. I would like a bit of lag. That extra difficulty would make Mario worth it.

This is the perfect response to that other guys stupid comment.

I keep reading "plays like Demon Souls" but I'm not sure people really know what they're saying. Aside from atmosphere(even then it feels quite different from Demon), I'm doubtful you can get a real sense for the gameplay to be decidedly Demon or Dark Souls-esque. How long do normal folk get to play it for at these booths?

Here is an older gameplay video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2WObVJLLSg

Looks like the game has changed and upgraded quite a bit since this but it likely has many of the same mechanics intact

I think it was confirmed as Create a Character

This is just the placeholder character (much like how dark souls 2 had the guy in the furry armor)

Character creation is in. This guy is like the furry coat dude from Dark Souls 2 preview footage.

You have to wonder about the implications of the mascot character of this game wearing what would be considered light armour in the Souls games. Maybe there won't be any actual armour in this game?

You have to wonder about the implications of the mascot character of this game wearing what would be considered light armour in the Souls games. Maybe there won't be any actual armour in this game?

It will likely be in a very different style to fit within the tones, timeline and theme of the game

Looking forward to all the design possibilities they explore in this world

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
A shot from Instagram showing some HUD elements

bQMLO3z.jpg

http://instagram.com/p/roUHsCunNM/

I think that says "Hunter Bullet" so I suppose you can equip different types of ammo.

NEO0MJ

Yeah, armor would clash with the style they're going for. Gonna miss them, the armors were so good looking in the past souls games and new ones were one of the things I was always looking forward to.

I think that says "Hunter Bullet" so I suppose you can equip different types of ammo.

I guess they're the new arrow variations. I hope we get exploding bullets.

Ratrat

This game was hyped as a reunion of the "legendary" collaboration of SCEJ and From that resulted in Demons Souls. Whether or not you give credit to the A-team crap, this is definitely seen as a return to form for those that feel DS2 was a drop in quality.

Foggy

This game was hyped as a reunion of the "legendary" collaboration of SCEJ and From that resulted in Demons Souls. Whether or not you give credit to the A-team crap, this is definitely seen as a return to form for those that feel DS2 was a drop in quality.

I think that's pretty much what I'm getting at. "Plays like Demon's Souls" reads like "it looks and plays amazing just like it did with Demon's Souls". The gameplay just doesn't strike me as being more Demon's Souls as opposed to Dark Souls. Which is fine and mostly semantics, but I was just making sure there wasn't some nuance to the gameplay I wasn't aware of.

HIR0

http://www.vg247.com/2014/08/13/bloodborne-the-sense-of-punishment-is-much-less-wider-audience-is-the-target/
Bloodborne developer From Software said today it’s walking a line between disappointing Souls fans and opening up the concept to a wider audience.

From Software is aiming for a wider audience with Bloodborne, the next game based on the Souls concept, but is mindful there can be no compromise in regards of the series’s difficulty-demanding following.

“In terms of who the game is aimed at, and who we want to capture in terms of the audience, obviously we can’t betray or disappoint the fans out there,” said producer Masaaki Yamagiwa, speaking at gamescom today.

“They’re very, very important. They’ll be the main ambassadors of the game.”

But “we do want more people to share in this experience,” he admitted.

While he couldn’t expand on it, Yamagiwa said that Bloodborne’s “new online concept and experience… will capture a wider audience.”

Bloodborne is being developed by an amalgam of the Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls teams, two RPGs legendary for their toughness. Yamagiwa said the brutal feeling of the original has been altered for the stunning-looking new title.

“You died a lot in the previous games, and you had to persevere, but one of our main goals with this game is that we don’t want to focus on punishing the player,” he said.

“We want to deliver a game that gamers love. If the gamer likes the game they’ll definitely like it enough to have that bit of perseverance, but the way in which we’re making the game? The sense of punishment is much less.”

Yamagiwa warned that players testing Bloodborne at gamescom should not “get too disappointed that it’s too easy”: the public demo has been toned down in difficulty compared to the retail version as From wants players to experience the full demo.
I'm sort of conflicted.

Orayn

While he couldn’t expand on it, Yamagiwa said that Bloodborne’s “new online concept and experience… will capture a wider audience.”

Sounds like that might mean traditional co-op. Didn't they also allude to this being a bigger part of the experience back during E3 as well?

Orayn

I think the game can be more accessible without lowering the overall difficulty level. It just means fewer things that are likely to turn off new players. Will that decrease "teh hardcorez" somewhat? Probably, but in practical terms it doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot.

jwhit28

That search for the wider audience being ingrained in follow up games has ended in disappointment way more times than not for hardcore fans of videogame series in the last 10 years.

I think the Dark Souls 2 talk of accessibility is different. There were rough edges in Dark Souls and mechanics were unnecessarily obtuse. Cleaning up stat menus is accessibility, streamlining upgrade paths is accessibility, making easier to co-op with friends is accessibility. In the interview the exact words less punishing were used.

Hugstable

Banned
I don't mind the 30fps at all, but seeing the dips already scares me and brings back memories of how bad the dips got for me (sub 15fps) in World 2-2 of Demon's Souls and World 5 as well. I have faith that everything will turn out good though.

Parmenide

I think the game can be more accessible without lowering the overall difficulty level. It just means fewer things that are likely to turn off new players. Will that decrease "teh hardcorez" somewhat? Probably, but in practical terms it doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot.
Sorry, next time I won't express my concerns. Also it's not something important, punishment was never a key feature of Souls.

butman

For the first time i feel the real need to buy a console because ONE game. It's so weird but grateful at the same time.

Souls games are a f**ing phenomenon!

That search for the wider audience being ingrained in follow up games has ended in disappointment way more times than not for hardcore fans of videogame series in the last 10 years.

Actually, that's not really true.

The only people that it usually negatively impacts are the ones that feel like they are no longer in this exclusive club or my favorite "they supported the game first" or "the most loyal fans that thanks to them made the game popular". There is a subset of dark soul fans (maybe you are part of it) that feel like playing the game is something more special than it really is.

Are your hands broken?
Exhibit A of the type I speak of above.

nah, I just hate slow and clunky combat games. I am more of a Dragon's Dogma combat guy.

Servbot24

Banned
I think that's pretty much what I'm getting at. "Plays like Demon's Souls" reads like "it looks and plays amazing just like it did with Demon's Souls". The gameplay just doesn't strike me as being more Demon's Souls as opposed to Dark Souls. Which is fine and mostly semantics, but I was just making sure there wasn't some nuance to the gameplay I wasn't aware of.

In general there's nothing wrong with DS2 gameplay. Sure you can find some bad hitboxes here and there but it's relatively minor, but over all the games all play extremely similar to each other and each have fantastic gameplay.

It's the world design that really suffered in DS2. Whatever flaws DS2 might have had, they would have been easily forgiven by the fan base with better world design, just as they had been in DeS. The Souls games are about rigid gameplay and intrigue, intrigue which is communicated through world design. Bloodborne seems to have the design spark that DS2 lacked.

Top Bottom