• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLOODBORNE Impressions Thread : And so the Nightly Hunt Begins

Foggy

In general there's nothing wrong with DS2 gameplay. Sure you can find some bad hitboxes here and there but it's relatively minor, but over all the games all play extremely similar to each other and each have fantastic gameplay.

It's the world design that really suffered in DS2. Whatever flaws DS2 might have had, they would have been easily forgiven by the fan base with better world design, just as they had been in DeS. The Souls games are about rigid gameplay and intrigue, intrigue which is communicated through world design. Bloodborne seems to have the design spark that DS2 lacked.

Just based off of what we've seen it looks to even surpass the previous games in some aspects. Although, I've already prepared myself for the complaints coming from people wishing there would be more environment variety in this game. The Souls games are casting a very large shadow and I'll be curious if the community will be able to take it for what it is. As much as I love a glorious Anor Londo reveal, there is something to crafting and mastering a cohesive singular world design that this game seems to be striving for.

shandy706

You mean the grinding that was never a thing unless you actually wanted to do so?

They can't remove something that was never there.

Never once have I had to grind for souls.

You grinded in these games?

All of these people had perfect builds day one, never died, never had to grind, never fought a single enemy twice, never went to youtube or a guide to "cheat" :p

Bow down before your masters.

lol

Grimløck;125162420 said:
hell yes. someone sneak some footage.

doge_render___fundo_transparente___by_matbox99-d6gisn4.png

Was expecting this to be first post. Disappointed in you all.

Xeroblade

Exhibit A of the type I speak of above.

nah, I just hate slow and clunky combat games. I am more of a Dragon's Dogma combat guy.

Thats fair, but wasn't DD considered clunky? Souls 2 is pretty slow and clunky. I really like those super fast games too (Bayonetta, Gaiden, MGrising). To me it just doesnt belong in a souls type of game. they are meant to be slower for a reason.

After reading the article it feels like they author took alot of liberty in interpreting what they actually mean. The online component has always made the game significantly easier. Summon someone to help on any boss in any of the Souls games and it becomes a cakewalk for the most part. Miyazaki said that the difficulty is going to be ~Demon's Souls. That's good enough for me.

Foggy

All of these people had perfect builds day one, never died, never had to grind, never fought a single enemy twice, never went to youtube or a guide to "cheat" :p

lol

They're not wrong though. If you're grinding in a souls game then you're playing it wrong and it's a nuance that you should pick up on as you go through the game. You lose 7k souls and you feel like your world is going to collapse. You then grind forever to somehow get it back but you end up dying and lose them all anyway or just get really burned out. Then you beat a boss, get a shit ton of souls, realize you have a bunch of soul items you found along the way and then *EUREKA* the game is designed to make grinding unnecessary.

Orayn

lol

Having difficulty with some parts of the game isn't grinding. Repetitively farming items or killing enemies for resources is grinding, and that isn't required to complete the game.

aravuus

lol

What a post, damn. I can't hate you because you have a Persona 4 avatar but it's always you. Always you making the most terrible posts.

You don't need to grind a single second in the Souls games to succeed, you need to use your head and learn from your mistakes.

e:
Having difficulty with some parts of the game isn't grinding. Repetitively farming items or killing enemies for resources is grinding, and that isn't required to complete the game.

and this, of course, if it's unclear what grinding means to someone

deeTyrant

lol

I don't think that's what those people are saying.

Looking back on all my first souls play-throughs never once did I have to go back and grind to progress, the way the game progresses I feel like you always have enough souls to be able to progress, and the challenges could always be overcome by getting better at the game.

I know people who did grind it out to beat bosses rather than just learn their patterns, but never once do you have to grind. Nor do you have to have a good build for that matter.

lol
But you never have to grind, which is the whole fucking point. You can finish the game with soul level 1, you grind because you want to, not because you need to.

The game is not designed in a way that you are forced to grind to beat it. Not for leveling up, not for equipment, not for items, not for anything. Grinding is a choice.

Conezays

Looks great! Going to be a bit rough going from 4k on my PC for DS2 back to 1080P (hopefully?), but nonetheless, super hyped.

NEO0MJ

But you never have to grind, which is the whole fucking point. You can finish the game with soul level 1, you grind because you want to, not because you need to.

The game is not designed in a way that you are forced to grind to beat it. Not for leveling up, not for equipment, not for items, not for anything. Grinding is a choice.

That's an exaggeration :p
Some grinding and equipment gathering is required, though you never have to get out of you way to grind. During my replay I rushed the game as a deprived with no problem.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thats fair, but wasn't DD considered clunky? Souls 2 is pretty slow and clunky. I really like those super fast games too (Bayonetta, Gaiden, MGrising). To me it just doesnt belong in a souls type of game. they are meant to be slower for a reason.

NO.

But DD was not clunky at all, especially when you played the strider then assassin. maybe the warrior or mage, I never played those, I like fast games. I haven't played Bay or MGrising.

to be fair Demons Souls WAS far more punishing then either Dark or Dark 2.

I mean when you died, the game actually got harder on purpose. You got your health split in half, enemies got tougher and more aggressive, etc.

God knows how many times I replayed just to get into 2-2 or whatever with a white tendency going on due to lack of deaths.

So, we'll see what they actually do with the gameplay but I have faith in the minds of the makers. Not worried until I hear specifics.

deeTyrant

Based on the IGN and Destructoid previews the controls set up is interesting;

R1 and R2 function just as a Souls game does, being a light and heavy attack for your right handed weapon.

L2 is the gun based on the IGN article, but L1 is what you press to switch weapon mode for your right handed weapon according to the Destructoid piece.

Wonder what the implications of this will be, do you have to offhand a gun? Or are offhand weapons limited to one move? Is it weapon dependent? So many questions.

This is the perfect response to that other guys stupid comment.

Get over yourself.

The game looked like an action game and I was hopeful it had taken up more of an action games traits.

If a trailer had Mario throwing mushrooms as grenades and aiming down a plumbing pipe, it wouldn't be that far to wonder if Nintendo was making a child friendly themed shooter.

A shooter Like.......Call of duty.

Seriously this place is full of the most insular and arrogant responses at times.

I made a mistake In what I thought the game was, accepted it and moved on. Do the same.

Xeroblade

Get over yourself.

The game looked like an action game and I was hopeful it had taken up more of an action games traits.

If a trailer had Mario throwing mushrooms as grenades and aiming down a plumbing pipe, it wouldn't be that far to wonder if Nintendo was making a child friendly themed shooter.

A shooter Like.......Call of duty.

Seriously this place is full of the most insular and arrogant responses at times.

I made a mistake In what I thought the game was, accepted it and moved on. Do the same.

hug.gif

BigDug13

If you decided to change weapon styles from something that is +10 in upgrades to something that has no upgrades at all, I found that the non-upgraded weapon was too weak to effectively use so I would "grind" for a bit to get souls to pay for upgrades and shards. Sometimes I would "grind" the basement ceiling slimes for green Titanite or whatever. I guess if you chose a weapon and didn't ever want to switch to a level 1 weapon again, no grinding is necessary, but I guess since I became dissatisfied with the weapon choice I made in the early game, it felt like I needed to grind to make my next weapon choice a viable option via upgrades.

Yep. And grinding in DS2 is especially stupid, soul memory does not exactly encourage it if you want to do some PVP.

Meneses

Do we know if it's going to be a fixed, single character or will we have several classes / customizable characters?

Also, are the weapons "free" (as in, we can use anything), or are they progressively unlocked (like a DMC game, for example)?

Xeroblade

Do we know if it's going to be a fixed, single character or will we have several classes / customizable characters?

Also, are the weapons "free" (as in, we can use anything), or are they progressively unlocked (like a DMC game, for example)?

I read that Miyazaki said there will be "many weapons" and i thought someone confirmed there was character creation.

Probably in the Sony dungeon too. :(
Or the tower if latria, being guarded by Cthulhu guard so that they can't get any more footage...or yea sony dungeon.

I wasn't hyped for this when got announced but yesterday's trailer and new screenshots have got me. I love the Victorian London look. Plus the fact that this seems to be more demon souls, Yes!

deeTyrant

Any sign of a backstab or parry like mechanic? I read about that life steal thing, but is there something like those classic Souls moves?

From the Destructoid preview;
Moreover, firearms can stun enemies and open up their defenses. Called the Counter-shot, when you shoot an enemy about to attack, you'll stun them and leave open to a devastating counter-attack. Think of this as Bloodborne's take on the parry, but it's way more brutal and satisfying to pull off.

I wonder if the traditional parry will still be in the game of it you always have a gun as a secondary weapon

Very interesting stuff!
I believe they said there would be multiple types of offhand weapons, but they would be offhand specific weapons.

I can easily see something like a parry knife.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What a post, damn. I can't hate you because you have a Persona 4 avatar but it's always you. Always you making the most terrible posts.

You don't need to grind a single second in the Souls games to succeed, you need to use your head and learn from your mistakes.

e:

and this, of course, if it's unclear what grinding means to someone

Eh if you wanted certain builds you had to grind there's no ignoring that fact. You didn't need those builds to complete game (hell you complete some at SL1 n idea about alll) but unneeded grind was most certainly there.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled

but is mindful there can be no compromise in regards of the series’s difficulty-demanding following.

“In terms of who the game is aimed at, and who we want to capture in terms of the audience, obviously we can’t betray or disappoint the fans out there,” said producer Masaaki Yamagiwa, speaking at gamescom today.

“They’re very, very important. They’ll be the main ambassadors of the game.”

STOP WORRYING. Jeez, people.

impact

Banned
I don't know why they insist with those ridiculous ragdolls.

I'll take it as a good sign that the engine with actual working hitboxes is back. No more of that DS2 swinging at people/mobs going right through them and getting hit by attacks you clearly dodged.... hopefully!

CHC

Ahhhh Souls, god this shit just never fails to excite me.

The setting seems interesting too.... I hope they can do for their city setting what Dishonored did for Dunwall, which is to say explore it fully from top to bottom. I really want to see not just the streets but the rooftops, the catacombs, the sewers, docks, transit system, etc, etc.

I'd love if brought back that labyrinthine interconnection from Dark Souls, and wove a really tight knit urban setting.

aravuus

Eh if you wanted certain builds you had to grind there's no ignoring that fact. You didn't need those builds to complete game (hell you complete some at SL1 n idea about alll) but unneeded grind was most certainly there.

Wow yeah, and if you want to have 99 of every farmable item, you'd have to grind. Shocking.

You can grind. You can do extra shit by grinding if you want to. You don't need to grind. That's the point.

Top Bottom