• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLOODBORNE Impressions Thread : And so the Nightly Hunt Begins

TnK

I am not too sure about this. If this was the case, it would be cool if there are difficulty levels in this new game.
All of these people had perfect builds day one, never died, never had to grind, never fought a single enemy twice, never went to youtube or a guide to "cheat" :p

Bow down before your masters.

lol

lol I like this post. I did plan my character day one though, to ensure I had the perfect build for the Dragon Bone Smasher. Even then, I had to grind a bit to reach a level 40(?) strength capacity to wield the DBS. Demon's Souls was awesome.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I think you represent the weird split between 3D action game players.

Some prefer the weighty, physics heavy gameplay of Souls/Monster Hunter while others prefer the Fast, Combo Heavy arcade style of Bayonetta/DMC/Ninja Gaiden

I actually like both but Always preferred the former. Nothing beats the feeling of a perfectly times blow where you can almost feel the weight behind it. (You MH players know what I'm talking about)

Yep. I initially gave up on Dark Souls because I was dying all the time, but the world and weighty combat drew me back and now I'm loving it (despite still sucking at it).

Shengar

FromSoft have said many thing on accesiblity many times before, and they being making the game easier have also proved to be false. Heck, its even harder though its rather because they just basically making the enemy have lockon when landing an attack.
Get over yourself.

The game looked like an action game and I was hopeful it had taken up more of an action games traits.

If a trailer had Mario throwing mushrooms as grenades and aiming down a plumbing pipe, it wouldn't be that far to wonder if Nintendo was making a child friendly themed shooter.

A shooter Like.......Call of duty.

Seriously this place is full of the most insular and arrogant responses at times.

I made a mistake In what I thought the game was, accepted it and moved on. Do the same.
This game is Action RPG. The RPG part means customization, and customization means wide arrange of weapons that not any combo-base action could match. The closest we could for "the best of the two world" is Dragon's Dogma, and yet its still plays very differently from Souls games. While the post about Mario-CoD is silly because they both don't all in the same genre, you just asking the absurd here, like wishing a CounterS Strike become Battlefield.

Yep. I initially gave up on Dark Souls because I was dying all the time, but the world and weighty combat drew me back and now I'm loving it (despite still sucking at it).

Both types of game styles have their own sets of strategies and skill requirements!

Arcade style action games tend to focus on reaction times, combos, speed.

Realistic style tends to be about strategy, timing, spacing, environment etc..

Its no wonder how people get thrown going from one type to the other. The realistic style in Souls/Monster Hunter is immensely satisfying to master though.

Hayabusi

Just something I heard from a german gaming show:

So apparently the only way to gain health is:
After you kill an enemy the health bar will change its color for a short period of time. Only during this time you are able to gain health by attacking more enemies.

Interesting and sorry if already mentioned. And they confirmed that the difficulty level is turned lower for the GC demo.

Hayabusi

Oh, and they asked about looting and leveling and how it will work/if it's in it and they apparently answered really evasive.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Shengar

What I see:
>No more enemy lock-on target as they about to land a hit
>Enemy using block
>Guns can break that block
>Guns damage is peasy, but it always make enemy stagger
>You can charge your attack

kHt11HS.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
And evading takes very little stamina, unlike rolling.

Is the tedious soul grinding gone?

Did you git gud? Then and only then will the grinding end.

I had to read that "like a harder Ninja Gaiden" line two times to catch it right.

It was clear right from the early leaks that this would play like a little more dynamic Demon/Dark Souls game (less reliant on shields and more on doging etc.).

How can you come to the conclusion "like a harder Ninja Gaiden"? It would maybe fit when the game would be a new God of War since these franchise has more in common (moveset/gameplaywise) with NG than Souls games.

"Harder than NG" comes from people extremely skilled at dexterous execution, but have trouble with planning, searching, loss, etc.

Remember: Miyazaki's games are hard, but they get that from mulitple hards, not just one cranked thru the roof.

HOSANNAH, one of DS2's biggest weaknesses are gone!

Portugeezer

Defuser

Seriously liking the guns. Damage is crap but the staggering enemies is awesome, good for giving yourself breathing space or interrupting enemies attacks.

OMG THIS LOOKS AMAZING. A TEAM INDEED! You can clearly tell theres another level of polish in the animations. Just look at how the character walks when locked on!

And that dodge roll to get up after he was smashed...no lock on spinning enemy bullshit...the envrionment....the wait...

prwxv3

What I see:
>Enemy using block
>Guns can break that block
>Guns damage is peasy, but it always make enemy stagger
>You can charge your attack

kHt11HS.gif

what does this mean. I have not played DS2 yet.

AI Attack pattern look pretty DkS2-ish. I just hope that they don't improve just the graphics but also the AI.

Just watched a german stream and they talked about the Bloodborne presentation. Seems like From avoided questions about how you actually upgrade/ level up your character. Just said that it's 'different'. If it'd be the old Souls leveling system they'd just say so, wouldn't they? Maybe they'll use a DMC or Bayonetta upgrade system but I'm not sure if I'd like that. ;-)

Ferr986

So this is our first look at damage numbers - good to see they're still in.

But what's interesting is that the character doesn't seem to gain anything from killing enemies, other than the occasional item drop. Are souls out? Or perhaps just disabled for demo purposes?

This is not a Souls game, theres no reason to Souls to be in.

Xeroblade

AI Attack pattern look pretty DkS2-ish. I just hope that they don't improve just the graphics but also the AI.

Just watched a german stream and they talked about the Bloodborne presentation. Seems like From avoided questions about how you actually upgrade/ level up your character. Just said that it's 'different'. If it'd be the old Souls leveling system they'd just say so, wouldn't they? Maybe they'll use a DMC or Bayonetta upgrade system but I'm not sure if I'd like that. ;-)

Its going to be interesting what they do, i wouldnt care if there was no souls at all in the game as long as we get some form of leveling up.

Portugeezer

what does this mean. I have not played DS2 yet.

From what I remember, enemies would be able to lock on to you even whilst you rolled in the last second, and sometimes they hit you even if it looked like you dodged the hit.

It was a big complaint I heard when DS2 launched, felt cheap.

PolishQ

This is not a Souls game, theres no reason to Souls to be in.

True, but (presumably) there does need to be a souls equivalent. Something to provide motivation to kill enemies other than simply clearing out the level. Something to enable upgrading of your character. They've hinted that blood may serve this purpose, but it's not immediately clear from this footage.

I wonder...with us knowing about the regain system and how it works for the player...will enemies have the same benefit?! That would be incredible I think

Top Bottom