• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Matt Frost

My skill is at level 55, and I noticed that from time to time levelling up beyond 40 gave a bigger increase than that. Most likely because of the gems I had equipped.

I think Threaded Cane works better in the chalices, and against certain bosses, due to its reach. It certainly made many bosses easier for me, particularly the large beasts.

The Blunderbuss gives you more room for error due its wider spread. Evelyn comes in handy in the later chalices, if you have high enough Bloodtinge level.

I like the Threaded Cane a lot as well, is good, but the Saw Cleaver is -to me- faster and deals more damage, but I agree about the TC, is better for crowd control. SC is better to face an enemy at a time

Blunderbuss for parrying all the way! I tried every weapon but Big B feels the most natural for me.

I tried both and can parry way better with the pistol, but to each their own and everybody don't get along the same with every weapon

^ The soft cap on endurance is 40. Every other stat soft caps at 50

Interesting... I thought it was like DS... Will keep that in mind... Will give more points to strength as soon as possible.

Melchiah

I like the Threaded Cane a lot as well, is good, but the Saw Cleaver is -to me- faster and deals more damage, but I agree about the TC, is better for crowd control. SC is better to face an enemy at a time

From my experience, the Cleaver works against certain foes better, whereas some were seemingly impossible for me with it (+Ludwig & Whirligig Saw), like Headless Bloodletting Beast. I also think bosses like
Darkbeast Paarl, Amygdala, Rom, Mergo's Wet Nurse, Undead Giant, Watch Dog of the Old Lords, and Yharnam
would have been harder for me without the Cane's whip form.

myco666

^ The soft cap on endurance is 40. Every other stat soft caps at 50

Well you should know that isn't the case with Arcane which gets benefits well after 50. Also AFAIK with the current gems you can farm you can easily go over the 50 treshold on every damage stat to get significant damage boosts.

Deku Tree

Well you should know that isn't the case with Arcane which gets benefits well after 50. Also AFAIK with the current gems you can farm you can easily go over the 50 treshold on every damage stat to get significant damage boosts.

The huge benefits to Arcane after 50 are mainly for hunter tools. This is why I made a BL140 character that has 99 arcane. It is a lot of fun.

For other weapons that do Fire/Bolt/Arcane damage, as far as I know the soft cap at 50 is affects weapon damage similar to the way the soft cap at 50 affects weapon damage on weapons that scale with STR/SKILL/Bloodtinge.

EDIT: how do the abyssal scaling gems that give you +65 scaling in different stats make it more beneficial to go above 50 in that scaling stat? In any case the vast majority of people are never going to want to go through the trouble of farming for Abyssal scaling gems in Layer 3-4 of Depth 5 F/R/C root chalice dungeons.

EDIT2: And I saw that there is a Heavy +65 Abyssal gem that gives you +65 STR scaling. And there is a Cold Abyssal that gives Arcane scaling. But I never saw a Sharp abyssal (that would give you +65 skill scaling) on any of the glyph sheets.

EDIT3: anyway supposedly the best gems for physical damage are as follows

"99/99 STR/Skill, 2 perfect Labyrinth Spirit Poorman's Raidals + 1 perfect Labyrinth Spirit Tempering Trianlge:
LHB+10
1463 AR naturally
2487 AR with a fully charged Beast Pellet"

but "At BL 4 it took about 40 hours to farm the Radials, since a perfect Poorman's Radial has about about a 1/200 drop rate, and I was picky that it had to have the stamina down curse." and "The Triangle is a common drop, so you can get it in about 30-60 mins" ...

From a player on gfaqs ... there are a good number of hardcore blood gem farming players who still regularly post there on the BB board.

myco666

The huge benefits to Arcane after 50 are mainly for hunter tools. This is why I made a BL140 character that has 99 arcane. It is a lot of fun.

For other weapons that do Fire/Bolt/Arcane damage, as far as I know the soft cap at 50 is affects weapon damage similar to the way the soft cap at 50 affects weapon damage on weapons that scale with STR/SKILL/Bloodtinge.

EDIT: how do the abyssal scaling gems that give you +65 scaling in different stats make it more beneficial to go above 50 in that scaling stat? In any case the vast majority of people are never going to want to go through the trouble of farming for Abyssal scaling gems in Layer 3-4 of Depth 5 F/R/C root chalice dungeons.

EDIT2: And I saw that there is a Heavy +65 Abyssal gem that gives you +65 STR scaling. And there is a Cold Abyssal that gives Arcane scaling. But I never saw a Sharp abyssal (that would give you +65 skill scaling) on any of the glyph sheets.

EDIT3: anyway supposedly the best gems for physical damage are as follows

"99/99 STR/Skill, 2 perfect Labyrinth Spirit Poorman's Raidals + 1 perfect Labyrinth Spirit Tempering Trianlge:
LHB+10
1463 AR naturally
2487 AR with a fully charged Beast Pellet"

but "At BL 4 it took about 40 hours to farm the Radials, since a perfect Poorman's Radial has about about a 1/200 drop rate, and I was picky that it had to have the stamina down curse." and "The Triangle is a common drop, so you can get it in about 30-60 mins" ...

From a player on gfaqs ... there are a good number of hardcore blood gem farming players who still regularly post there on the BB board.

Well Hunter Tools are almost the only reason to go for Arcane build unless you really want to hassle with gem farming.

As for going over 50 on other stats some gaffer said that in the Old Hunters thread when the patch came that he could boost Str after getting the +65 gems. Haven't really done it myself since I don't really care for farming. And clearly even that player on GFAQs seems to agree with 99 Str and Skill.

There really isn't a Skill version of those gems? Interesting. Well while you don't get significant boost in melee damage you should be getting decent boosts in Visceral damage with Skill bump so it is still beneficial. Also Bloodtinge might be a stat that doesn't have a reason to go over 50 since BT gems aren't that great compared to physical damage ones.

Deku Tree

Well Hunter Tools are almost the only reason to go for Arcane build unless you really want to hassle with gem farming.

As for going over 50 on other stats some gaffer said that in the Old Hunters thread when the patch came that he could boost Str after getting the +65 gems. Haven't really done it myself since I don't really care for farming. And clearly even that player on GFAQs seems to agree with 99 Str and Skill.

There really isn't a Skill version of those gems? Interesting. Well while you don't get significant boost in melee damage you should be getting decent boosts in Visceral damage with Skill bump so it is still beneficial. Also Bloodtinge might be a stat that doesn't have a reason to go over 50 since BT gems aren't that great compared to physical damage ones.

There is like a 15% addition to a +10 weapons damage going from 50 to 99. For A Call Beyond and Executioners gloves you do 64% of your total potential damage at 50 Arcane. So you get 36% more damage going to 99 Arcane with those two hunter tools, and they scale better from 80-99 than they did from 50-79.

I don't know how Abyssal +65 scaling gems affect your increase in weapon damage from 50-99. That player was going to 99/99 STR/Skill because they could. All I know is that the Abyssal gems can send your weapons scaling from like a C to an S.

myco666

There is like a 15% addition to a +10 weapons damage going from 50 to 99. For A Call Beyond and Executioners gloves you do 64% of your total potential damage at 50 Arcane. So you get 36% more damage going to 99 Arcane with those two hunter tools, and they scale better from 80-99 than they did from 50-79.

I don't know how Abyssal +65 scaling gems affect your increase in weapon damage from 50-99. That player was going to 99/99 STR/Skill because they could. All I know is that the Abyssal gems can send your weapons scaling from like a C to an S.

I assume that being able to go over 50 has to do how those scaling letters work. Having same letter doesn't actually mean that it is the same scaling but rather what tier of scaling it is. So if you have S scaling and put a +65 scaling gem in you get even better scaling making it beneficial to go over 50. But again I haven't tested this myself so can't confirm other than there was other gaffer that claimed getting good damage boosts after level 50 in Str.

edit.

Found the post.

Deku Tree

I assume that being able to go over 50 has to do how those scaling letters work. Having same letter doesn't actually mean that it is the same scaling but rather what tier of scaling it is. So if you have S scaling and put a +65 scaling gem in you get even better scaling making it beneficial to go over 50. But again I haven't tested this myself so can't confirm other than there was other gaffer that claimed getting good damage boosts after level 50 in Str.

edit.

Found the post.

Yeah there are several long "math" posts on reddit claiming to understand how scaling works and how damage is calculated etc. I didn't want to think about any of that so I just read the guides and farmed some recommended gems in the recommended glyphs to get my weapon powered up. Honestly I can one shot a lot of tough enemies now.

Matt Frost

From my experience, the Cleaver works against certain foes better, whereas some were seemingly impossible for me with it (+Ludwig & Whirligig Saw), like Headless Bloodletting Beast. I also think bosses like
Darkbeast Paarl, Amygdala, Rom, Mergo's Wet Nurse, Undead Giant, Watch Dog of the Old Lords, and Yharnam
would have been harder for me without the Cane's whip form.

I am on NG+ and will try the Threaded Cane against those foes. And have to try the Whirligig saw. But after I finish my NG+++++ game on DS3 and get the last ending, the Gesture achievement, the Miracle achievement and the Spell achievement. Soon.

I play BB blind, mostly without reading tipps or anything but I also found the Whirligig Saw to be helpful in Ludwig's battle. Finally beat him yesterday...It was a very intense and close fight but with the sheer power of the blades I was able to stagger him a few times. That was intense!
For Lady M
aria
I used the swordform of my good old Kirkhammer. That one (in any form) still crushes everything.

Btw, the area after M
aria
is exactly how I imagined the village in Shadow over Innsmouth. Together with the sounds the atmosphere is spot on! Wow!

Melchiah

I am on NG+ and will try the Threaded Cane against those foes. And have to try the Whirligig saw. But after I finish my NG+++++ game on DS3 and get the last ending, the Gesture achievement, the Miracle achievement and the Spell achievement. Soon.

Let me know how it goes. =)

NG+++++!? o_O

Deku Tree

You only need to go to NG+2 to get all the DS3 achievements.

Matt Frost

5+++++ on DS3 and still wanting to go back to Bloodborne...

You only need to go to NG+2 to get all the DS3 achievements.

Yes I know, but I missed some gestures (Yellow Finger) and killed Anri two times, missed her a third, did it upside down the fourth. Stuff like that.

Let me know how it goes. =)

NG+++++!? o_O

I overleveled a lot -a lot- so is a walk in the park, doing a speedrun this time. My fireball do so much damage that I did the 5 first bosses in like an hour something. Need to see the last ending and get a gesture (on NG++++++), etc...

Melchiah

I went back to Bloodborne immediately after I finished DS3, eventhough I've spent about 200 hours on it, but I really have no urge to return to DS3. I just love BB's combat so much more.

Deku Tree

Yes I know, but I missed some gestures (Yellow Finger) and killed Anri two times, missed her a third, did it upside down the fourth. Stuff like that.

I overleveled a lot -a lot- so is a walk in the park, doing a speedrun this time. My fireball do so much damage that I did the 5 first bosses in like an hour something. Need to see the last ending and get a gesture (on NG++++++), etc...

There is a guide on Reddit somewhere that explains how to get all the gestures and everything except the extra rings on one NG cycle.

People say DS3 gets harder around like NG+3.

Nothing like the difficulty spike in BB on just Regular NG+.

Matt Frost

I went back to Bloodborne immediately after I finished DS3, eventhough I've spent about 200 hours on it, but I really have no urge to return to DS3. I just love BB's combat so much more.

Me as well, that little side step evasion to both sides makes a huge difference, making it faster and more direct, as compared to DS3 where you can only roll. Enemy makes a vertical attack, sidestep, attack.

I was want to finish farming the Platinum to get back to Bloodborne and enjoy it more.

Do anyone here have the ring that the DS3 Farron dog gives you when you reach level 30? The Wolf Ring. That would help a lot if you would lend it to me until the achievement triggers.

Melchiah

There is a guide on Reddit somewhere that explains how to get all the gestures and everything except the extra rings on one NG cycle.

I didn't think BB was that hard on NG+, but I was around level 105 after my first playthrough, and I went through most of the chalices before NG+. DS3 would probably be impossible for me on subsequent runs, as some of the bosses, like
Abyss Watchers, Old Demon King, Champion Gundyr, and Nameless King
, were really hard for me already on the first time.

Me as well, that little side step evasion to both sides makes a huge difference, making it faster and more direct, as compared to DS3 where you can only roll. Enemy makes a vertical attack, sidestep, attack.

That, the speed & stamina (no encumberance), the way you can replenish health by counterattack, and I can't parry in DS3 as well as in BB. EDIT: The latter alone made some of the fast and aggressive bosses hard for me, like
Father Gascoigne, Blood-starved Beast, Pthumerian Descendant, Martyr Logarius & Maria
would have been in BB without parrying.

Matt Frost

I didn't think BB was that hard on NG+, but I was around level 105 after my first playthrough, and I went through most of the chalices before NG+. DS3 would probably be impossible for me on subsequent runs, as some of the bosses, like
Abyss Watchers, Old Demon King, Champion Gundyr, and Nameless King
, were really hard for me already on the first time.

Except the Abyss Watcher, the rest are optional and not really needed for the Plat once you have everything except the things the pacts gives you. Also, damn, Champion Gundyr and the Nameless King is hard as titanium, but less difficult than Orphan of Kos... that IS painful

That, the speed & stamina (no encumberance), the way you can replenish health by counterattack, and I can't parry in DS3 as well as in BB.

I also do a lot more parrying in BB than in DS3, and also agree about the health thing and speed. BB >>> DS3. I need to buy DS2 for PS4 to see how it fares against BB

Didnt see this post before. Will grind a few more levels before advancing to the next zone. Good to know. And for the guide, I dont visit Reddit, don't like it much, too many useless posts. And as for DS3, I have 40 in all stats so is very easy even on NG+++++... those armored gargoyles on the roof at grand archives are angels in disguise. Is there something similar in BB?

Melchiah

Except the Abyss Watcher, the rest are optional and not really needed for the Plat once you have everything except the things the pacts gives you. Also, damn, Champion Gundyr and the Nameless King is hard as titanium, but less difficult than Orphan of Kos... that IS painful

I also do a lot more parrying in BB than in DS3, and also agree about the health thing and speed. BB >>> DS3. I need to buy DS2 for PS4 to see how it fares against BB

If I replay a game, I always do a completionist run, like I've done three times with BB. ;) So, skipping something is out of the question for me.

Sometimes I accidentally managed to pull it off in DS3, but not reliably. I recall reading, that Scholar of the First Sin features pretty annoying mob bosses, so I think I'll just pass. As much as I enjoyed DS3, I'm just a more fan of BB.

Soulhouf

DS2 felt to me very floaty and attacks lack impact after Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1. I can only imagine how weird it would feel after Bloodborne.
You'll get used to it eventually but for sure the feeling is very different.

Matt Frost

DS2 felt to me very floaty and attacks lack impact after Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1. I can only imagine how weird it would feel after Bloodborne.
You'll get used to it eventually but for sure the feeling is very different.

I looked at some videos and got the same impression... will wait for a sale on it while I farm the Bloodborne Platinum.

If I replay a game, I always do a completionist run, like I've done three times with BB. ;) So, skipping something is out of the question for me.

Sometimes I accidentally managed to pull it off in DS3, but not reliably. I recall reading, that Scholar of the First Sin features pretty annoying mob bosses, so I think I'll just pass. As much as I enjoyed DS3, I'm just a more fan of BB.

I meant that for speed runs, for when you don't give Orbeck any scroll when beating bosses and then he disappears, with your Spell achievement, until the next run. I also like checking everything before moving on, killing every boss. But this run, NG+++++ is different. Is for the third ending. And NG++++++ will be for Spell and Gesture achievement. Was going to farm the Plat there too but this is turning to be a lot of pain. Will get those two (spell and Gestures next game) and will move to Bloodborne and leave DS3 for a while.

Ok so decided I'm playing Bloodborne more for the story, lore and exploration. As such; I'm soloing everything up until bosses. With bosses I go summon help. Less to do with "git gud" and more to do with having fun. Or that's how I justify it.

Deku Tree

Ok so decided I'm playing Bloodborne more for the story, lore and exploration. As such; I'm soloing everything up until bosses. With bosses I go summon help. Less to do with "git gud" and more to do with having fun. Or that's how I justify it.

Play however you want. It's a video game to be played for your own enjoyment.

Bragging time! I got super lucky and beat The Orphan of Kos on my second try yesterday :O Once again with Bruce C. and his trusty Kirkhammer <3 Thank you Bruce for sitting through everything I've had you do!

qypdM9G.png

...It actually was one of those "now or 30 tries later" affairs so I'm fucking glad it worked out, knowing how much trouble people seem to have with this one. The first try wasn't that serious, I just wanted to learn his moves a bit. But man, what a long and tense fight! I can still feel the RUSH, haha! I love the whole emotional angle to this.

Beat Laurence and that bell hunter as well so I think I'm almost done with the DLC for now. I still have unfinished business with the two two shark giants in the cave, though!!! Fuck those guys, I haven't been able to beat them so far.

Overall I don't regret going into the DLC on NG+ and offline. I think it just added to the tension and made it a very memorable experience!

Ethelwulf

Chalice question. So I'm back in Bloodborne after a while hunting for the best gems and platinum. I now know that I need to get a RFC chalice in order to generate dungeons containing gems. What I don't know is which items are absolutely required to have in order to do so. In other words, which items (chalices and others) from the main story are essential to start my quest? I heard that for example, killing the brain in mensis is a must. Are there any other shortcuts or there is no easy path for a returning hunter? THANK YOU

Deku Tree

Chalice question. So I'm back in Bloodborne after a while hunting for the best gems and platinum. I now know that I need to get a RFC chalice in order to generate dungeons containing gems. What I don't know is which items are absolutely required to have in order to do so. In other words, which items (chalices and others) from the main story are essential to start my quest? I heard that for example, killing the brain in mensis is a must. Are there any other shortcuts or there is no easy path for a returning hunter? THANK YOU

Well you can get decent 22% phys atk up gems pretty easily from the winter lanterns near Kos in the DLC without any chalice dungeons.

For the best cursed gems you need to do depth 5 F/R/C glyphs.

Here is the speed run guide for how to get through all the chalice as quickly as possible

http://www.bloodborne-wiki.com/2015/04/chalice-dungeon-flow-chart.html

Melchiah

Just completed the NG+ DLC run, and managed to go through the last area without dying once. Surprisingly Maria was a bit harder to parry than the last time, and the last boss was less of a bastard, although for some reason I had more trouble with the first phase of the fight.

Videos of both fights:
Maria - https://youtu.be/uamI5bsZbrY
OoK - https://youtu.be/iI4uOVejx8g

I was at level 226 when I faced the latter, after going through the chalices several times. I also had +20.6-22.3% physical attack gems, that gave the Holy Moonlight Sword 888 damage.

Must have been a really high level who was summoned with a password. Father G NG has a really small health pool compared to later bosses.

Ah, okay makes sense! :) I have no internet at home at the moment so I never tried the online stuff. I'll try to help some people as soon as I get it! So level range doesn't matter with passwords.

What/Where are the best gems I can farm from dungeons without online play (don't have PS+)? I've been playing BB forever but I haven't really looked into the best stuff I can get from the dungeons.

Deku Tree

What/Where are the best gems I can farm from dungeons without online play (don't have PS+)? I've been playing BB forever but I haven't really looked into the best stuff I can get from the dungeons.

Just farm the winter lanterns at the end of the DLC. The best gems come from depth 5 root chalice dungeons and they are horrible to farm if you don't have glyph codes from online and maybe you need PS+ for that...

Can I ask what your stats are? Level and ATK? You are doing crazy damage!

Must have been a really high level who was summoned with a password. Father G NG has a really small health pool compared to later bosses.

These were random people lol. She's my level 4 character but occasionally I take her out to mess around and troll in co-op. I make a backup save then level her up to 10-14 and land with someone in the starting levels, but of course I'm already equipped with 27% gems, beast pellets and whatnot.
Approx. stats for the cleaver I'd say would be atk 385 and 570-ish with a beast pellet.

Deku Tree

These were random people lol. She's my level 4 character but occasionally I take her out to mess around and troll in co-op. I make a backup save then level her up to 10-14 and land with someone in the starting levels, but of course I'm already equipped with 27% gems, beast pellets and whatnot.
Approx. stats for the cleaver I'd say would be atk 385 and 570-ish with a beast pellet.

Oh BL4 with +10 cleaver with 3x 27.2% phys atk up gems lol. Just like a lvl 200 except in health. GG

^people beckoning with new chars LOVE it. Add in a +10 pistol with a 32% gem to surprise random invaders, it's probably the only fun part of co-oping in the first levels. :))

Deku Tree

^people beckoning with new chars LOVE it. Add in a +10 pistol with a 32% gem to surprise random invaders, it's probably the only fun part of co-oping in the first levels. :))

I believe it. Reck some hard boss in 10 seconds lol. Sounds like a lot of fun.

DS3 would lock you out of being summoned by low levels based on the upgrade level of your highest upgraded weapon even if it's not equipped.

I believe it. Reck some hard boss in 10 seconds lol. Sounds like a lot of fun.

DS3 would lock you out of being summoned by low levels based on the upgrade level of your highest upgraded weapon even if it's not equipped.

I think DS3 does it,takes in consideration gear level for matchmaking

I hardly ever go back to DS3. I wanted to run a sl1 character but barely have him past vordt, and I'm too lazy to do everything else. There's just better things to do in Bloodborne.

Deku Tree

I was watching a BL4 on NG+6 player streaming on twitch yesterday. Player was summoning for help in cathedral ward and watching the helpers get one shot by the most basic enemies for the Lolz. That's Crazy that you can do that.

Ferr986

Jumped back to this to do some coop chalices but seems like it's ded :(. I keep getting summoned for this same dude dungeons for almost an hour.

Deku Tree

Jumped back to this to do some coop chalices but seems like it's ded :(. I keep getting summoned for this same dude dungeons for almost an hour.

Depends on you level and which chalice dungeons you have unlocked. If your over leveled then you don't find a lot of co-op. If your say lvl 50-150 you can find co-op using the SRRC wishin like 30 seconds to 2 minutes just about any time.

Ferr986

Depends on you level and which chalice dungeons you have unlocked. If your over leveled then you don't find a lot of co-op. If your say lvl 50-150 you can find co-op using the SRRC wishin like 30 seconds to 2 minutes just about any time.

Lvl 100. Everything unlocked. Guess it'd bad luck.

Top Bottom