• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

I'm a new player, and I couldn't find the new player thread, so I thought to post here. This is my first time playing much of any souls-type game.

I'm a fairly upset. I started the game last night and played for about two hours or so. I got what I think was fairly far into the first level/area. I was playing really well. I had a ton of blood vials and bullets (that, I think when I get more than 20 go into storage somewhere???) and I just got a music box from some girl. I was exploring every area and dodging enemies and rolling and attacking and picking up lots of stuff that I didn't know what they did; i hadn't done any upgrades or anything because i didn't know how to do them and i never returned back to that otherworld hub area. I hadn't used my gun at all yet, but I was starting to get used to the combat. Stressful, but enjoyable.

Then, I got into this sewer area after acquiring the music box where there was one of the the larger guys with black robs (I think they are called large huntsman if I looked at the wiki correctly) were hanging out. I killed the first, crossed to the other side, killed the other, and crossed back over to kill the final guy. I had him within one hit of dying and he fell to the ground. OK. It was just him and a rat down there. I check many times with the camera.....

Well, it turned out there were two other rats and another large huntsman who killed me when i jumped down. I got his like 3 times in a row and died fairly quickly. OK. My bad. Sure, I couldn't see them, but maybe I should have jumped down away from them.

So, I got back to that location and very slowly lured the enemies away from one another and killed them. YAY! except, I can't get my souls or echoes or whatever back. None of the enemies were carrying them. Instead, they were floating between the two sides of the upper crevice that I could not reach. I tried jumping, falling, getting on one of the small beams, but no matter what, I couldn't get the prompt to appear for me to collect them. After everything was dead, I tried for about 30 minutes to get them. Nothing worked.

As a result, I lost all of my progress up until that point. Sure, it's probably just a small glitch or something, but with the saving in this game (which I still don't fully understand) and it being my first time, it just got me mad. I did what I was supposed to by going back to my corpse and I didn't get my stuff back because it was floating in mid air.

I guess there isn't a question or anything the warrants a response, but I just wanted to vent. It'd be one thing if I felt like it was my fault, which that death was, but then the game just kind of screwed me over by putting my stuff where I couldn't reach it. Bleh. I feel like more and more I have bad luck with game bugs. I had a bunch in Alien Isolation where scripting was broken and such which hampered what would have been an otherwise enjoyable game.

Maybe I'll go back to this at a later time. Right now, I've already removed it from the PS4 and I'll play something else for a while before I have to start over from the beginning.

SDR-UK

I know you said you're kind of done with the game at the moment but if you do feel like going back, I'd be happy to assist you. You lost what seemed like a lot of progress and blood echoes but by the time you get to two areas in front, you'll be laughing about the amount lost.

That never once happened to me in hundreds of hours of playtime.

Sucks that it happened for you and left a bad first impression. I can see how frustrating that would be.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm a new player, and I couldn't find the new player thread, so I thought to post here. This is my first time playing much of any souls-type game.

I'm a fairly upset.
It's crazy how closely this experience mirrors my first time playing Demon's Souls. I was doing moderately well in 1-1, taking my time, etc. But at some point in 1-2, some glitch like that (not quite like brian's, but still a glitch) made me lose about 5000 souls on my first time playing Demon's Souls. It wasn't my fault and I was so mad I rage-quit the game for like 2-3 weeks and decided it was trash.

I reluctantly went back to it after having calmed down and the Souls series is now my all-time favourite. So brian, please, give it another chance some day! I know it's frustrating, I've been there, but this bad luck you had is an extremely rare glitch and the amount of "progress" you think you lost is really nothing (just like my 5k souls in Demon's) in the long run.

Wondering how far along in the game I am; without spoiling can you guys give me a heads up. Spoilers ahead:

I
fought a giant spider; got transported to an area that looks like Carhedral Ward. The moon is blood red. Skeletal women ring bells and summon crazies. Cthulhu monsters hang from buildings.

I'm eager to read and watch about the lore but I don't wanna spoil the ending.

Deku Tree

Wondering how far along in the game I am; without spoiling can you guys give me a heads up. Spoilers ahead:

I
fought a giant spider; got transported to an area that looks like Carhedral Ward. The moon is blood red. Skeletal women ring bells and summon crazies. Cthulhu monsters hang from buildings.

I'm eager to read and watch about the lore but I don't wanna spoil the ending.

I call that half way, not including the DLC.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wow this is a long game.
It depends on whether or not you did the two major optional areas, L
ecture Building
/N
ightmare Frontier
and C
ainhurst Castle
(assuming you did the earlier optional area,
Hemwick Charnel Lane
, where you get the tool to equip runes). If you didn't do those two areas, then yeah, about half; if not, I'd say maybe roughly 2/3rd?

And then there's the DLC.

Thanks all. I will definitely get back to it. I just wanted to vent.
Cheers. I hear ya. FWIW, here is my post from 2009 where I raged similarly (except with even more cussing than you), and I repeat, they are now my favourite games ever. :)

Thanks all. I will definitely get back to it. I just wanted to vent.

Yeah, this was one freak accident. Never happened to me either...If you need any tipps, just ask! Btw, what weapon do you use? Oh, and you're right. Any item you pick up that exceeds your limit goes directly to the storage chest in the hunter's dream. You can hoard Blood vials that way if you play good. ;)

One last note: later, when you get more echoes from enemies it's viable to spend the spare echoes you have (after leveling up, for example) for blood vials . That's the way I did it and I never had to farm those things during my two playthroughs.

It depends on whether or not you did the two major optional areas, L
ecture Building
/N
ightmare Frontier
and C
ainhurst Castle
(assuming you did the earlier optional area,
Hemwick Charnel Lane
, where you get the tool to equip runes). If you didn't do those two areas, then yeah, about half; if not, I'd say maybe roughly 2/3rd?

And then there's the DLC.

Don't forget Upper Cathedral ward. You can easily miss that, too if you don't pick up an item in the Unseen Village. I certainly would have missed it if my buddy – who played the game along with me – hadn't explored that area so thoroughly.

Ferr986

That soul glitch happened to me too with Bloodborne. Didn't give much of a fuck, as a Soul vet player I already know losing a pool of souls ends up being irrelevant, but I understand it woul be really frustrating as a new player.

I have acquired the Old Hunters after taking a sabbatical from Defiled Chalice Amygdala frustrations a few months ago.

I'll take a large order of suffering with a side of loathing and despondency please

feedme.png

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
OMG I would've never believed that was you who posted that :D
Damn

it's hard to even imagine such a rant from a huge Souls fan xD
Hehe, I know, I get a kick out of reading it again every single time. xD

It was really just bad luck, too. The disconnection from PSN happens very rarely, and when it does, you immediately respawn where you were with no progress lost -- unless you happen to be fighting a boss, which is again sheer bad luck. And the spear's hitbox can be a bit wonky; if you attack with r2 while being really close to the enemy, instead of the spear's charged thrust connecting with the enemy, your character will kind of "slip around" the enemy and miss. It's a particularity of the spear's hitbox and it's annoying, but in the grand scheme of things it's really not a big deal. But, for a new player, in combination of all the rest that happened, it really felt like I didn't deserve this death and loss of souls and so I was really mad at the game. But, with hindsight you can see that all these flaws, individually, are incredibly minor and barely detract from the game's quality. They just all happened at the same time to a new player so it made for a frustrating moment.

So glad I calmed down and gave it another go later. :) I still chuckle at my "Who the fuck gave GotY to this POS" comment. It's my game of the generation now haha :D

Ferr986

Best part of having less progression players (or just players overall) is that I always end up being summoned to root chalices (instead of 24/7 Defiled chalice with the ocasional standard Ihyll summons). Fun times again.

Deku Tree

Best part of having less progression players (or just players overall) is that I always end up being summoned to root chalices (instead of 24/7 Defiled chalice with the ocasional standard Ihyll summons). Fun times again.

What Lvl are you? I almost always get summoned to the standard fixed chalices.

Ferr986

What Lvl are you? I almost always get summoned to the standard fixed chalices.

min100-max140 (using different characters depending on what I want to play).

Even I got summoned to tier 3 and 4 root chalices (surprised people do those). But 9,5/10 times was a root (I only remember a couple of Ihyll summons at most).

Deku Tree

min100-max140 (using different characters depending on what I want to play).

Even I got summoned to tier 3 and 4 root chalices (surprised people do those). But 9,5/10 times was a root (I only remember a couple of Ihyll summons at most).

I've been doing a lot of SRRC recently and I only got summoned to a root chalice a small number of times.

Yeah no idea why people would do the depth 3-4 root chalices. Maybe looking for a specific uncanny or lost weapon?

Ferr986

I've been doing a lot of SRRC recently and I only got summoned to a root chalice a small number of times.

Yeah no idea why people would do the depth 3-4 root chalices. Maybe looking for a specific uncanny or lost weapon?

Weird. Maybe Im extremely lucky. Like I just stopped playing for today, 2 hours non coop-ing with the srrc, all roots. Now I feae tomorrow it will be all defiled dogs and amys again lol

Not sure about the lower tiers thing. It was with offerings too. DLC uncanny variants can be bough on tier1 chalices at any bath messengers but I guess vanilla weapons still need to be found, but most of them aren't depth 5 anyways?

Deku Tree

Everything in the root chalices has been on farm for a long time now. Full drop tables. Easiest possible glyphs for farming certain gems. Save scumming the layer 3 boss until you get what your after. Etc...

Exploring them for fun is cool but given that every gem has horrible MMO RNG drop rates and the best ones are filled with a high chance to drop with a horrible curse then exploring for loot is kind of a big waste of time.

Huh, just booted this up for the first time in a while and noticed that blood stone chunks are now purchasable through the insight bath vendor. When was that added in?

Hey guys, I just started a new run with the intent of cracking into the DLC for the first time.

As an experienced SoulsBorne player, what lvl is recommended to start the DLC?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Huh, just booted this up for the first time in a while and noticed that blood stone chunks are now purchasable through the insight bath vendor. When was that added in?

You can only do it after beating Wet Nurse.

Hey guys, I just started a new run with the intent of cracking into the DLC for the first time.

Lvl 60 is good.

Melchiah

The official guide recommends level 80, and at least one +9 weapon, for a balanced experience.

Deku Tree

Keep in mind the first section of the DLC is abnormally hard. The other sections are less hard, outside of bosses. Lvl 60-80 is fine depending on how much vitality you have (the more the better).

grmlin

Keep in mind the first section of the DLC is abnormally hard. The other sections are less hard, outside of bosses. Lvl 60-80 is fine depending on how much vitality you have (the more the better).

I went into the DLC wayyyy to early as I wanted to take a look at it. After fighting forever to
kill this first hunter
I died and was like:
WTF, these guys return???
, I'll come back later :D

Finally beat
Lady Maria
. By far the boss that took me the most tries. Her final phase is brutal to dodge. Finally was able to stun lock her enough with the Tonitrus after realizing the holy blade was a bit too slow there.

grmlin

Finally beat
Lady Maria
. By far the boss that took me the most tries. Her final phase is brutal to dodge. Finally was able to stun lock her enough with the Tonitrus after realizing the holy blade was a bit too slow there.

I loved this fight so much, maybe my favorite in the game. Despite the fact that I made it on my third try with a skill build and the Reiterpallasch.

Anyway, pain waits ahead. At least it did for me....

Ferr986

Finally beat
Lady Maria

Good luck with the next one lol

Deku Tree

Yeah on the first try too, amazing.... Thanks a lot Mr Deku! And now I know that Simon's Blowblade is really useful. Going to level that up... Now to Amygdala xD

I find Amy easier solo personally.

I farmed madmen charge atk up gems and watchers 27.2% atk up and I can do massive charge damage with my Bowblade.

I got messed up by that one charge ... Would have been an OHK if I hadn't switched to bone ash armor. Left me with a sliver lol.

Matt Frost

I find Amy easier solo personally.

I farmed madmen charge atk up gems and watchers 27.2% atk up and I can do massive charge damage with my Bowblade.

I got messed up by that one charge ... Would have been an OHK if I hadn't switched to bone ash armor. Left me with a sliver lol.

Where can I find those gems?

Yes, that bone ash armor is mighty good, both looks and usefulness. Love it. By the way, wasn't asking about help, you done more than enough already. Thanks a lot, now to explore layer 3 and give many tries to Amygdala... Thanks again, Mr Deku!

Deku Tree

Where can I find those gems?

Yes, that bone ash armor is mighty good, both looks and usefulness. Love it. By the way, wasn't asking about help, you done more than enough already. Thanks a lot, now to explore layer 3 and give many tries to Amygdala... Thanks again, Mr Deku!

Once you finish the preset chalice dungeons then Get two of these

Radial bow blade charge attack gems
from Pthumeru Ihyll
Tempering +21% Physical ATK (common)
Striking +12.6% ATK up on Charged Attacks (uncommon)

farming glyph=qjpktusu.
There is a wall facing sage right at the start of the very first bonus area.

You gotta kill him maybe 100-200 times to get what you want with a good curse. Stamina down or durability down are the good curses. Walk up to him slowly and do a charge artack then a backstab. use a bold Hunter mark after each kill.

And then get one of these

Triangle Physical ATK UP
Physical/Fire/Bolt/Arcane Triangle rarity 19, 27.2% (Merciless Watchers Boss Layer 1)
Isz F/R/C :
5pwujscd

Similar sorry with the curse. You have to delete and create the dungeon after each kill. The gems are RNG. You can copy paste the glyph code instead of typing it each time.

Can take 2-4 hours to get the all of right gems if your efficient.

If you don't want to do that then you can farm the two winter lanterns right near OoK. You'll get not as good but still good gems. It's a lot faster. Just avoid gems with bad curses. use a bold Hunter mark after each kill.

Edit also use eye runes (three if you got em) to increase your RNG odds.

You will make a load of echoes doing any of that btw.

Matt Frost

Once you finish the preset chalice dungeons then Get two of these

Radial bow blade charge attack gems
from Pthumeru Ihyll
Tempering +21% Physical ATK (common)
Striking +12.6% ATK up on Charged Attacks (uncommon)

farming glyph=qjpktusu.
There is a wall facing sage right at the start of the very first bonus area.

You gotta kill him maybe 100-200 times to get what you want with a good curse. Stamina down or durability down are the good curses. Walk up to him slowly and do a charge artack then a backstab. use a bold Hunter mark after each kill.

And then get one of these

Triangle Physical ATK UP
Physical/Fire/Bolt/Arcane Triangle rarity 19, 27.2% (Merciless Watchers Boss Layer 1)
Isz F/R/C :
5pwujscd

Similar sorry with the curse. You have to delete and create the dungeon after each kill. The gems are RNG. You can copy paste the glyph code instead of typing it each time.

Can take 2-4 hours to get the all of right gems if your efficient.

If you don't want to do that then you can farm the two winter lanterns right near OoK. You'll get not as good but still good gems. It's a lot faster. Just avoid gems with bad curses. use a bold Hunter mark after each kill.

Edit also use eye runes (three if you got em) to increase your RNG odds.

You will make a load of echoes doing any of that btw.

Still thinking about that layer 2 boss from the Cursed Chalice. I was on the verge of farming levels to reach 99 on Vit until you came along, thanks!

Thanks for the really useful tips right there. Will farm the winter lanterns tonight, then go to do the Izs ones since I finished that dungeon and can make the harder versions. After I kill Amygdala (the bane of my existence on PvE... killed me so many times there... but now I have been so close three times, now I have to work) will try the other Ihyll thing to prepare for the three final bosses there. Will take a photo of the glyphs. Can't wait to get out of work to pursue this. Thanks!

Have no idea how I screwed up the Eileen the Crow side quest.

Spoiler:

After she warns me not to go to Odeone tomb, I went and there was nothing there. Ive since killed Rom and now when I return to Grand Cathedral, Eileen is there wanting to fight. What did I do?

grmlin

Have no idea how I screwed up the Eileen the Crow side quest.

Spoiler:

After she warns me not to go to Odeone tomb, I went and there was nothing there. Ive since killed Rom and now when I return to Grand Cathedral, Eileen is there wanting to fight. What did I do?

Try again on your next playthrough, it's too late now.
No idea what happened to your questline, but normally you would have fought a hunter with her at the tomb you fought Gascoine.
Happened to me, too. I don't regret it though, fighting her was fun :)

Top Bottom