• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Producer: Targeting 30fps for "Game Design" purposes

weekev

Banned
Expansion pack as in it takes what is the base of a game, adds to it. Something can be aesthetically different, but if the systems behind it are almost the same just tweaked, how is it not an expansion? People were pretty much checklisting Bloodborne to see if it had the same trappings as the souls games, with the contracts and covenants and what not.

And just because the AAA game industry has seen fit to release full priced iterative products as new doesn't mean I can't call it like I see it. And I consider modern sports games to be expansion packs as well. Even Ubisoft has more people upset about it's aesthetic than the fact that it's like the 12th in an every iterating series.
There is a huge difference between an expansion and a sequel. Different characters, setting, story etc just because a smidge of the gameplay is similar does not make it an expansion pack. Thats like saying battlefield 4 is just an expansion of cod modern warfare because the basic premise is the same and some of the gameplay is similar.

Papacheeks

Banned
Can I honestly ask, why everyone is so up in arms with developer's who make games for a living, about them using 30fps? Because I have played The last of Us on both PS3 and PS4. But I didn't feel my experience with 30 vs 60 in the game hindered my enjoyment of characters, story or gameplay.

If seriously 60fps was really that big of a deal to every single game and every single developer then we would have 60fps games on consoles 24/7.

It's a decision to make what you can make with the hardware and tools given to you on a closed platform.

A good example is look at the New Call of Duty, there's a definite disparity between the Single player trailer, and multiplayer trailer in terms of image quality, and graphics.

Sacrifices had to be made for Multiplayer to hit that 60fps.

Same goes for any other developer, we are getting great games like Sunset overdrive which I believe is 30fps. Yet it's getting praised.

So it looks like a game can still be great with out 60fps.

This goes for Bloodborne, Witcher 3(PS4,XBONX), Uncharted 4, and probably Halo 5 singleplayer.

StoneFox

Discussing framerates reminds me of the time when people discussed bits during the great bit wars. Ah cycles...

I don't really care as long as the frames stay at 30 and don't noticeably drop like they did in Demon's and Dark Souls. I've never been able to see the difference even after playing 60fps games on PCs.

Daingurse

I don't even have an issue with games targeting 30fps on consoles, but seriously? Man, get the fucking outta here, lol. Targeting 30fps to achieve greater graphical fidelity, I understand that, not this falsehood.

weekev

Banned
Can I honestly ask, why everyone is so up in arms with developer's who make games for a living, about them using 30fps? Because I have played The last of Us on both PS3 and PS4. But I didn't feel my experience in the games characters, story or gameplay made that big of an impact of my enjoyment of the game

If seriously 60fps was really that big of a deal to every single game and every single developer then we would have 60fps games on consoles 24/7.

It's a decision to make what you can make with the hardware and tools given to you on a closed platform.

A good example is look at the New Call of Duty, there's a definite disparity between the Single player trailer, and multiplayer trailer in terms of image quality, and graphics.

Same goes for any other developer, we are getting great games like Sunset overdrive which I believe is 30fps. Yet it's getting praised.

This goes for Bloodborne, Witcher 3(PS4,XBONX), Uncharted 4, and probably Halo 5 singleplayer.
Its not a big deal. Most people would be ok with 30fps. Its the bullshit they try to sell to justify the 30fps that people are pissed off at. Yes games are acceptable at 30fps but dont try and tell me 30fps is better than 60fps because of the cinematic feel, thats just bullshit.

Mindlog

I learned something today.
The origins of the phrase, 'Blowing smoke up one's ass.' I never knew it was so literal. Once upon a time CPR wasn't all the choosy. There was little distinction to be made between the ass and mouth. Heat was also favored when returning vigor to a victim. Richard Mead put two and two together and proposed using tobacco smoke enemas to aid persons in respiratory distress.

When someone blows smoke up your ass you should thank them and then politely decline. They're trying to save your life, but modern science has dismissed the efficacy of colon based resuscitation. Modern science has refined the enema for more useful purposes such as 'butt-chugging' but that is a topic for another day.

I've been following the game more or less closely but we have seen any other thing place or character though.

Yes we have. Just because the game doesnt have those crazy, sometimes jarring locale differences does not mean it wil all take place in the city and that its the only place we'll visit. Bloodborne is simply going for a much more consistent tone than previous souls games so that drasticly differing aesthetics may not be there like in the past.

Also theyve confirmed that there are different armors, weapons and everything just like in the previous games. All we've seen is a pre built character for demos. That doesnt automatically mean that its a set character we're playing with.

I suggest you reaearch a bit more because all this is known info.

Can somebody name one game that's structurally similar to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls on PS3/360 that's locked 30 fps let alone 60 fps ?

They did a damn good job with that they had.From actually ARE competent at tech.
I mean just compare compare their efforts with giants like Bethesda's skyrim and fallout 3.

Souls run great for the hardware they were made on.It boggles my mind that people constantly label From as being bad at tech when I can't think of any structurally similar game on the consoles that runs better.

Demon's has several drops to single digits, and Blighttown and Lost Izalith stutter in the low teens.

atr0cious

Enh, I'm not entirely sure you could call it an expansion pack. Having played a fair amount of the alpha, it's a substantially different game. Your character is much, much more agile and the weapon transforming mechanic makes combat feel pretty different although still distinctly Souls.

It's all clearly based on the Souls framework but I think it's enough to justify it's existence as a separate entity.
I'll compare to my favorite series, Metal Gear Solid. I'd consider MGS3 an expansion pack. 1, 2, and 4 are all in different generations and each brings something new to the table, so much so that passing them it off order is unsavory. MGS3 is one of the greatest games of all time, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't an iterative work. Yes they pulled it off, and yes it was worth full price, but if it didn't completely change the way you played, different camera system, camo system, cqc, healing, "open world", I probably wouldn't crown it.

And again, not trying to say Bloodborne is bad, I was planning on getting it for coop till this dumb statement, as I wrongfully assumed they'd be going for a higher frame rate.

On topic. Yea dumb statement he made. Seems like alot of devs say this stuff without thinking first.

Tbh I just want the game to hold 30fps consistently. Which is something From tends to struggle with on console. If they pull that off im not complaining.

They're spouting some PR shit to cover the fact that their target level of visual fidelity requires them to lock it to 30. The vast majority of Dark Souls / Demon Souls players here played it at 30 FPS on console...so why are people losing their shit?

You can't have the visuals ANND 60 FPS. That's reserved for MGS V. Kojima's back with a (re)vengeance, giving the middle finger to everyone this gen.

Kuro

I'll compare to my favorite series, Metal Gear Solid. I'd consider MGS3 an expansion pack. 1, 2, and 4 are all in different generations and each brings something new to the table, so much so that passing them it off order is unsavory. MGS3 is one of the greatest games of all time, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't an iterative work. Yes they pulled it off, and yes it was worth full price, but if it didn't completely change the way you played, different camera system, camo system, cqc, healing, "open world", I probably wouldn't crown it.

WTF

They're spouting some PR shit to cover the fact that their target level of visual fidelity requires them to lock it to 30. The vast majority of Dark Souls / Demon Souls players here played it at 30 FPS on console...so why are people losing their shit?

You can't have the visuals ANND 60 FPS. That's reserved for MGS V. Kojima's back with a (re)vengeance, giving the middle finger to everyone this gen.

because in action games gameplay takes precedence over graphics. and 60fps results in better gameplay, so that takes priority. no ifs or buts

Sad to hear this employee say something so stupid but Bloodborne will still be the GOAT.

I'm just diving into Demons Souls, and loving everything so far but BB looks a cut above imo

You're kidding right? Im quite sure your in the minority on this opinion.

Hypron

Well in that case... That's your definition of an expansion pack and pretty much no one else's.

New Londo is pretty bad too.
I haven't played Dark Souls on consoles in forever. I think I do remember New Londo being awful.

It's because they are lying to us, and that's no good.

weekev

Banned
I cant tell if you're being serious or not. If you are then thats fine you are completely entitled to your wrong opinion.

wait

what

Kayant

Dear Developers/Publishers/PR People:

If you can't make your engine run at 60 FPS then just stop opening your mouth and saying stupid shit like this. It's not more cinematic. It's not better. It's the not best for anything ever. Just say that you're going for a locked 30 and nothing else or at the most say you're going for a locked 30 to hit the visual fidelity that you want. That's it, no bullshit. Just stop insulting us with absolute, patently false nonsense like this kind of statement.

It is weird because the game doesn't look that impressive technically, maybe its just because youtube and what not... but still.

I can't blame the devs, people have been fellating on 1080p so daaaamnn hard for the last year, I bet they are scare about not delivering the "glorious" 1080p resolution. For my money if you are gonna go nuts because stuff like this, like rather demand 60fps, that one does make a substantial improvement on gameplay.

Right... Right. Nothing to do with resolution being less demanding on the hardware than going for doubling the framerate and that there are quite a few 1080p 60fps titles on PS4.

And again, not trying to say Bloodborne is bad, I was planning on getting it for coop till this dumb statement, as I wrongfully assumed they'd be going for a higher frame rate.

LKxx5.gif

because in action games gameplay takes precedence over graphics. and 60fps results in better gameplay, so that takes priority. no ifs or buts

But if 30FPS was okay before, what's changed? (I'm referring to the console version, as that's where the majority of the sales are).

The only thing that's changed from then till now, is framerate and resolution have become buzzwords.

Hypron

But if 30FPS was okay before, what's changed? (I'm referring to the console version, as that's where the majority of the sales are).

The only thing that's changed from then till now, is framerate and resolution have become buzzwords.

Well no one (well, not many people) had anything to say about that until this FROM employee came up with this bullshit.

Trojan

That quote is face-palm worthy, but the fact they're targeting 30 is not surprising. In general, I think it's safe to say 30 is what I'm expecting from most games unless they state otherwise.

What are the chances we see dips to 12 FPS during gameplay?

I really wish Sony would have a core engine team for their first party titles.

weekev

Banned
Again, you guys are making it sound like it's a full negative. The only potential negative is that it could've been even radically more different, and we're missing out on that.
Im starting to think you're serious, which is making me concerned for your wellbeing. An expansion is adding something to an existing game a sequel is making a new entry in the series.

I dont really want to continue telling you how wrong you are though because its derailing an already bonkers thread.

Jimrpg

I think they left off part of the quote, the bit that says "30fps works best as an action game... for developers Because I just can't be bothered dealing with another six months of work getting it up to 60fps"

Akibared

I prefer 60fps but it's not the end of the world if a game is locked at 30fps I'm just sick of this bullshit excuse for it.

Fbh

Can I honestly ask, why everyone is so up in arms with developer's who make games for a living, about them using 30fps? Because I have played The last of Us on both PS3 and PS4. But I didn't feel my experience with 30 vs 60 in the game hindered my enjoyment of characters, story or gameplay.

I couldn't care less about 60 fps. I honestly preffer console developers focusing on 30fps except in some very specific game types.

But this PR stuff is allways annoying.
They should just be honest and say they are going for 30 fps in order to have more resources for other stuff.
But this "we feel 30fps is better for this experience" is just BS

I prefer 60fps but it's not the end of the world if a game is locked at 30fps I'm just sick of this bullshit excuse for it.

This is every sane persons attitude. The vast majority of console gamers are fine with it, it's bullshitting about something no one requires an explanation about any way. It's like being a little kid and lying to your parents about something you wouldn't get in trouble for any way.

Haunted

That's bad and that From producer should feel bad.

I bet they repeat their usual shitty mistake and couple game logic and animation cycles to their shaky attempt at 30 again.

Gorillaz

bruh

Aske

The reason this thread is exploding is because the statement adds insult to injury.

Higher framerates are better. Anyone who disagrees is factually incorrect. The same is true of resolution. That doesn't mean developers shouldn't make compromises when necessary, and a solid 30fps is what most people were expecting from Bloodborne.

Developers who try to spin their compromises as artistic decisions are lying. And the sad thing is, the people who care about frames per second in the first place are the exact people who won't be fooled by this nonsense. All statements like this do is insult the fans they're aimed at.

The number of developers and publishers who put out statements like this is mind-blowing. From "the feel of 60fps" last gen to this most recent example...I don't understand why this particular meme hadsn't quietly faded from existence.

Gator86

Yeah I'm not sure which version I played yesterday but the framerate when fighting the boss was extremely bad. Like, it really affected the gameplay.

I'll play this shit at 15fps as long as they fix the fucking camera. It was basically a colonoscopy for the boss at times in the alpha. Unplayable shit.

It's an opinion, but yea it does. The character even seems to have the same gait as a demon souls character. The textures seem improved, but everyone saying it's a souls game isn't just flattery. Nothing wrong with being an expansion pack, mind you.

It looks nothing like an xpac and if you are so sure that it does please provide some pics to back up your absurd claim.

Top Bottom