• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Producer: Targeting 30fps for "Game Design" purposes

Kssio_Aug

That bs again! In my honest opinion, it is completely reasonable to say that for them, its more important to priorize a higher resolution and better graphics then a higher frame-rate. Honestly, completely reasonable! I could totally respect that!

What I can't agree in any form is to say that certain genre is best to play at 30 fps rather then 60 fps, thats a very stupid thing to say.

Sayad

Blighttown was one spot. And it STILL managed to be infinitely less of an impediment to game play.

Dark Souls 2's frame rate on the PS3 was so bad it ought to have been dubbed: Blight Souls.
Other than the area where you start the game at(which was still nowhere near Blighttown), the game overall had a much better/more consistent framerate. And, again, remind me where was DS2 framerate "more of an impediment" to gameplay than Blieghttown's -10fps?

Zyae

I'll compare to my favorite series, Metal Gear Solid. I'd consider MGS3 an expansion pack. 1, 2, and 4 are all in different generations and each brings something new to the table, so much so that passing them it off order is unsavory. MGS3 is one of the greatest games of all time, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't an iterative work. Yes they pulled it off, and yes it was worth full price, but if it didn't completely change the way you played, different camera system, camo system, cqc, healing, "open world", I probably wouldn't crown it.

And again, not trying to say Bloodborne is bad, I was planning on getting it for coop till this dumb statement, as I wrongfully assumed they'd be going for a higher frame rate.

U-WOT-M8.jpg

Laconic

Banned
Other than the area where you start the game at(which was still nowhere near Blighttown), the game overall had a much better/more consistent framerate. And, again, remind me where was DS2 framerate "more of an impediment" to gameplay than Blieghttown's -10fps?

The.Whole.Game.

The frames dropped constantly. When they were not dropping, they were spiking back up to tolerable. Neither of these things made for a consistent frame-rate, which was a consistent interference with game play.

The PC version, to its credit, did not have those particular flaws.

The.Whole.Game.

The frames dropped constantly. When they were not dropping, they were spiking back up to tolerable. Neither of these things made for a consistent frame-rate, which was a consistent interference with game play.

The PC version, to its credit, did not have those particular flaws.

Okay then please comment on the rest of your misgivings about BB's similarities to DS2?

I wish devs would stop bullshitting and treating consumers like idiot sheep. 30 fps isn't ideal, but it's acceptable. Just own up to it.

Dear Developers/Publishers/PR People:

If you can't make your engine run at 60 FPS then just stop opening your mouth and saying stupid shit like this. It's not more cinematic. It's not better. It's the not best for anything ever. Just say that you're going for a locked 30 and nothing else or at the most say you're going for a locked 30 to hit the visual fidelity that you want. That's it, no bullshit. Just stop insulting us with absolute, patently false nonsense like this kind of statement.

Pretty much this.
We enjoy plenty of 30fps games, the PR lie trying to justify it isn't worth it.

DSix

Banned
tumblr_lyhsnjCxyy1qfriu3o1_500.gif

I love from but they really didn't need to make such dumbfuck statements to justify their graphical/technical compromises.

Either they can get to 60, either they can't, but devs really need to shut the fuck up about what framerate is "best" for the players. Nobody ever believes that shit, especially after the PC Dark Souls that are unquestionably superior.

Mxrz

After dealing with it in other games, I think I prefer locked 30 fps to the zigzagging between 30-60fps a lot of "60 fps" games have been doing so far. It doesn't bother me so much on the pc, but with a console controller it just throws me right off for whatever reason.

RELIGHT

Banned
Getting sick of this shit. A lack of 60FPS in an action game at this point is fucking pathetic. Just tell us you don't feel like doing the work you lazy piece of shit.

Yes I'm mad.

Getting sick of this shit. A lack of 60FPS in an action game at this point is fucking pathetic. Just tell us you don't feel like doing the work you lazy piece of shit.

Yes I'm mad.

It's not the work. It's that they'd rather have prettier graphics to show off than something a lot of console gamers don't give a shit about any way.

Hypron

It's not the work. It's that they'd rather have prettier graphics to show off than something a lot of console gamers don't give a shit about any way.

Yeah the devs work just as hard making a 30fps game as when they work on a 60fps game. The work is just attributed differently.

I'm all for developers locking @ 30 fps to maximize graphics on the hardware they have, but don't do it and say "It's more cinematic" ... Just say "We're locking at 30 to get the most out of the hardware."

Damn, grill.

Well, From didn't say it was more cinematic; it just said it was the best without explaining why. Your point stands regardless, of course.

LCGeek

formerly sane
But seriously, at the absolute least, you get smoother animations at 60 fps. When the camera pans around you also can see what's around. Try panning in 30 fps and trying to make anything out without getting a headache.

This amazed at how many people think fps is all about response or speed when it improves animation too.

This is one of the most irresponsible reporting I've seen as of late. It's blatantly exploiting the parity-gate from Ubisoft's PR debacle. People are going to cancel pre-orders because of a mis-interpretation of the developers words.

Not only are they going to be wrongfully throwing them under the bus, it puts the developers in a negative light. It's disgusting how journalism ethics is compromised to create controversy.

Now that I've tasted the sweet nectar of 60fps, you can't fool me with your bullshit.

When did you start gaming?

There have been tons of 60fps games, even some on PS1 / N64.

Like 60fps is better, but I don't get what you mean by "now that I've tasted the sweet nectar of 60fps". Could they have fooled you prior to the PS4 coming out or something?

Daingurse

People really can't tell that 60vs30 gif up there apart?

Yikes.

If you can't tell the difference, then you are blessed son. Oh, if only I couldn't tell the difference!

If you can't tell the difference, you need to get your eyes checked.

What pray tell is an optometrist going to do? There are definitely some people out there who cannot tell the difference between 60fps and 30fps, and I see that as a blessing in disguise.

Top Bottom