• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Producer: Targeting 30fps for "Game Design" purposes

MormaPope

Banned
The wailing and gnashing of teeth has already begun. This is such a tired topic, and GAF seems to eat up every bit of drama like it's a story on TMZ.

I hope we can move past this and enjoy what is likely to be a game of the highest caliber from a developer so many of us already respect.

I mean, anybody can by not posting in the thread or even going through the thread. From Software and technical issues with Souls games on consoles is like some sort of weird brotherhood. Granted, the 360 version of Dark Souls 2 runs at around 40fps consistently with screen tearing. The PS3 version ran in the low 20's consistently.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
it's true at 30 fps second your eyes can adjust and you can make more precise actions

60 fps is too many frames, you'll make more mistakes because it's too fast

I'd like to think that was a joke post, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't.
Anyway, everything in a game moves the same speed at 60fps as at 30fps. (Unless it's one of those capped-at-30 games with hacked 60fps support where the animations play twice as fast.)
And 60fps is more precise, mostly because of roughly halved controller lag, but also improved motion resolution lets you see what's going on better.

Please, negative gamer horde, please don't sully my hype for this game with negativity. I can't wait to play this game, just ship it with a solid 30fps and get my hard earned money From Soft!

NEO0MJ

Bayonetta 2 has really bad performance. Bad game to cite as an example. :p

A better example would be a 30 FPS platformer like Pupeteer and a 60 FPS platformer like New Super Mario Bros U. Or a 30 FPS fighter like JoJo All-Star and a 60 FPS fighting game like Street Fighter IV. Your ability to respong and control the game is so much better in the 60 FPS games.

Um, on what platform are you playing this mysterious Dark Souls 2 that's running at 60fps?

PC, obviously. Sure it's not a console but playing Souls games at 60 FPS is just...wow.

You can see the future. I'm impressed, and I have so many questions!

Well, he is right. Only hope for a 60 FPS version of the game is a remaster on the PS5.

impact

Banned
Hopefully it's actually 30fps. The alpha and all their other games points towards NOPE.

Still GOTY 2015 easily.

ShinMaruku

People just want to position it positively. What would you guys have him say?

PS4 SDK or hardware isn't where it needs to be. Or maybe my publisher and I agreed it was better to release it at 30fps over optimizing it to hit 60fpa over the next 6-12 months.

It's better to say nothing. People were expecting 30 anyway but when they try to spin it they hit a person's bullshit sensor and in the age of bullshit and idiots it enflames people. Silence is golden.

Chobel

People just want to position it positively. What would you guys have him say?

PS4 SDK or hardware isn't where it needs to be. Or maybe my publisher and I agreed it was better to release it at 30fps over optimizing it to hit 60fpa over the next 6-12 months.

I dunno, maybe not fucking bullshit us.

oh boy here we go

cIBUg7Y.gif

Come on From, 60 fps would make the combat silky smooth.

This type of direction makes players wait for the PC versions. It's bad for business.

This game is funded by and co-developed by Sony, so don't expect a PC version.

AlterOdin

What happend to "you gonna head a lot of 1080p/60pfs on the PS4".

This really made me "reconsider" buying a PS4, was planing to do so for BB, TLOU and MSG4 (mgs4 coming on pc, so not an issue).

Atleast TLOU is 60fps.

Will probably buy it anyway, but wait a bit longer

MormaPope

Banned
A better example would be a 30 FPS platformer like Pupeteer and New Super Mario Bros U. Or a 30 FPS fighter like JoJo All-Star and Street Fighter IV.

PC, obviously. Sure it's not a console but playing Souls games at 60 FPS is just...wow.

SFIV on consoles is 60, unless you're talking about the handheld version.

Nanashrew

Banned
They really should have just said "we're going for locked 30fps" and be done with it. No need for a lame excuse because now everyone is going to be pointing at this a lot.

SeanTSC

So, why is Sony's in-house development studio involved again?

So it hopefully runs at a locked 30 instead of a stuttery 20-25. FROM isn't exactly a bunch of Technical Wizards. I don't think anyone was expecting 60 from them, especially after seeing the E3 builds. I'll happily take something that smooth from FROM considering their other console work.

Spewing diarrhea all over my face with "lol 30 fps is best" nonsense statements is not something that I personally enjoy though.

Fine if that's what they were aiming for, but I don't think it's wise to make this statement. Ubisoft's made the argument before with PR in mind, so it's hard not to be cynical when someone else does this.

Jaxx

Banned
His statement is dumb, but if they can deliver a stable 30, it's a huge step up from the other 3 games and I'll be pleased. Not as pleased as if it were 60 fps, but pleased nonetheless.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I really don't know why developers keep saying this stuff. It really doesn't help them.

HardRojo

Come on From. We have accepted Bloodborne will run at 30fps but don't try to feed us lies. Look at what happened to Ubisoft, it's better to keep quiet sometimes.

Nabbis

That's bullshit. Just say "we don't want 60fps, cause grafix". No one who knows what "fps" means will believe this.

Durante

His statement is dumb, but if they can deliver a stable 30, it's a huge step up from the other 3 games and I'll be pleased. Not as pleased as if it were 60 fps, but pleased nonetheless.
It's a massive step down from the previous 2 games for some of us.

I kinda wish they'd leave the bullshit out of it. When devs nail 60 FPS they tend to not convince themselves and the public that it was a poor choice compared to 30.

It comes up regularly in Iwata Asks interviews. 60 FPS is the target. You go lower if you have to. No need to make shit up to defend the choice to go for a solid 30 over fluctuating 60.
That's actually something I respect Nintendo for. Even more so since they have to do it on their hardware :p

Top Bottom